NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 3:48pm
A sealed cap on straight, loose fitting thin walled PVC will also float up extending the guide. Of course a tall enough guide to begin with won't ever be a problem. CC was pretty generous with their guide heights.

For those of you with short guides that land below the rub rail, driver head covers make cheap caps!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 3:40pm
On an Eagle trailer the stock setup is black PVC pipe (capped) over metal guide posts, I have the Nautique covers over the PVC which I will remove when launching otherwise the rub rail will really tear them up if contact is made. One advantage to a snug fitting PVC overlay is on a very steep launch they can be slid up to extend the height of protection.

Project looks great by the way and Watauga is a very nice lake, my uncle has a house at Lakeshore Resort.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:46pm
Not all boat/trailer combinations will have chine/guide interference even at extreme angles (our bfn is not one of these cases)... I agree with the rest. I'd still put the hose/tubing around the bend, if possible, though!

Pete, I'm thinking I went with 1.5" PVC then (closer to 2" od) as you'd never get flex PVC over a bent pipe with tightly matching id/od... It's not THAT flexible.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:31pm
No matter what, avoid these situations, especially the second.

black rubber = black smudges
bare pipe (no cap on top) = paint and gelcoat scratches
bare pipe (bottom curve) = chine gelcoat chips
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:24pm
Arklie,
Unlike Joel, I go the non corrosive route with clamping the tubing to the inside of the trailer channel. I've used ether plastic (black UV resistant) or aluminum one hole tube straps. Joel's method with the dropouts works. I've done it two ways. Ether cut the hole like Joel or simply stop and start the tubing.

Tim, The OD of 1&1/4" pipe is 1&5/8". Yes on the capping of the tops. It will keep the water out as long as you don't try and get the tubing all the way down and around the bend. As mentioned, going that low is not needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:11pm
Flex PVC is a better solution than exhaust/cooling hose. That is what cc used in the late 80's. I forget the nominal size I bought- it'll be loose but will make the bend and can be capped at the top so you'll never notice. It comes in a few different colors, cc used white in the 80's but black might be more appropriate on a 70's trailer.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:11pm
Any "pad" that can't rotate will get shredded from the rub rail. Loose hard PVC is best because it will roll. However, the compound curves of these guides make that rather impossible. I've many times considered redesigning the poles to finish up straight, but they just don't look proper. So far flex PVC is the best, which is what CC used in the late 80s. Or, leave them off entirely!
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:07pm
Is the hose (protection) really needed on the horizontal part of the guide near where it attaches to the trailer? I have a '91 and the PO just used PVC pipe on the vertical. Mine does not have the top bend tho.

If you do go back with the hose, get one that will be nice and tight. Once you clean the metal tubes and paint them (another great place for POR-15) you can use lots of DISH SOAP to lube up the ID of the hose.

EDIT: thought of another way to get them on. Use compressed air. Get the hose started, then slip the air hose handle in at the btm, move the handle and the hose down as the air expands the hose. The further down you go the tuffer it gets. I use that method to attach lagging to conveyor rollers and pulleys.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 12:58pm
I had been dreading the removal of the hose from the guides, but it only took about 30 seconds each with a Sawzall. I expected what I found underneath-not only surface rust but also serious pitting.

Looks like some folks purchase the trailer guide pads from the site. I like those, but are they as good as the Trident Flex hose? The overall diameter of the guides appear to be 1 5/8 - 1 11/16. The Trident hose comes in 1 3/4", 1 7/8", and 2". I think the 2" would be too loose, but thinking the 1 3/4 would be tough to get around the lower bend. Anyone tackled this before?
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 12:56pm
I laid the pex in the channel first and clamped it in place. Then marked the light locations with a sharpy. Took it back out and ran a 3/8 Wood spade bit through one side of the pipe and once the wire was run through the pipe I could pull it out of those holes with a hook and then soder the lights shrink wrap it and shove it back in. Secured with EMT 1/2 conduit straps bolted to the frame with #10 bolts and lock tight
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 12:10pm
Joel, Pete,
I like the idea of the PEX or PVC. Couple of questions.
1-How did you handle the dropouts to the marker and clearance lights?
2-How did you secure the conduit/pipe to the trailer?

On another note, after spending a good amount of time looking around on CCF and a few other websites I finally convinced myself what the correct part number is for the Felpro 1-piece oil pan gasket for marine use. Here are a few Summit part numbers for those in a similar situation.

Felpro 1-piece oil pan gasket-17998
Felpro valve cover gaskets-VS13264T
Felpro Timing cover gasket set-TCS45449
Melling standard volume, standard pressure oil pump-M83
ARP-Oil Pump Driveshaft - 154-7901
Timing chain and gear set- Double roller with steel sprokets-CCA-2138

Got all of that for $176 with free shipping. The oil pan gasket was $45, which is about 1/2 what it is from some of the dedicated marine supply houses. Plus, the dedicated marine supply houses will not list the part number.

I am still looking for the correct part number for the oil pressure and water temperature sending units. If anyone knows what they are could you please share?

On another, nother note. I pulled the hubs apart last night to check the bearing and races out. The grease seals were pretty much finished off and the evidence was the grease splatter all over the inside of the wheels and axle. The part number on mine was 171255TC. Etrailer has a direct replacement set of 2 from TruRyde, which is a double lip seal; part number RG06-050. Cost was $5.49 for the set of 2. Hoping to get the hubs cleaned up and primed tonight.

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 10:35am
It probably wasn't the best picture to show the tubing... Its that lighter color blue line in the C channel. Blue obviously for cold water supply (best matching tubing I could find without trying to paint. Made my "wiring harness", soldered and heat wrap then pulled it through the pipe with a fish tape. Pita. Secured every 30" along the frame.
I don't like seeing wires and I hope it will eliminate any possible shorts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:53am
Joel,
Am I looking at some of them?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Then I suggest not using the 3M type insulation displacement connections. Water gets into the wire and the untinned wire corrodes causing problems.

The trailer looks great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:26am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Take some extra time with the wiring. I like to run the wiring in PVC pipe down the trailer frame. I've seen too many wiring jobs flopping around in the wind going down the highwayQUOTE]

I do the same with all my trailers. I used PEX cold water tubing and drilled small holes on the bottom for water to drain out[/IMG]
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:14pm
If you don't have one, you should save and clean up one wheel and maybe the best tire for a spare.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 10:03am
Arklie,
The trailer is looking great. Take some extra time with the wiring. I like to run the wiring in PVC pipe down the trailer frame. I've seen too many wiring jobs flopping around in the wind going down the highway especially if it's attached with those little clips to the frame that come with the kits. (the clips also scrape the paint and you'll get rust) Then I suggest not using the 3M type insulation displacement connections. Water gets into the wire and the untinned wire corrodes causing problems. There are some great heat shrink adhesive lined crimp connectors and some are rated for multiple wires. The alternate is soldering and then using heat shrink adhesive lined tubing over the connection. I also run a separate ground wire to all the lights. Trailer frame grounds are a problem down the road when the slightest corrosion shows up at grounding points. Trailer grounds are the #1 problem with lighting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:39am
Original style wheel/tire packages seem to be widely available and at very reasonable prices.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 12:31am
Thanks, Gary. I think you are right on. This trailer does not have brakes of any kind. I assume they put the bracket on there in case the trailer was equipped with hydraulic brakes.

I did a lot of power brushing this weekend and painting. Have the trailer pretty much ready for reassembly, excepting cutting the water hose off the guide/centering supports, and repainting them. Will try to carve out some time tomorrow to order new wiring harness and clearance lights, u-bolts, etc. The rims were pretty much rusted beyond what I want to try to recover, so I need to think through replacing them. And the coupler was jackknifed/bent to the point where I want to replace it as well. Thinking about a Bulldog.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 10:00pm
If that tab is on the frame near the axle it could be the mount for the brake line flex hose. Steel line from master cylinder to there,then the hose from there to the axle to a T,then steel line to each brake plate.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 9:29pm
I would, without question, replace those springs! I've broken more springs than I've had bearing and tire issues combined. You do not want to be replacing a spring on the side of the highway. Quick and easy to do now while it's apart.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 8:47pm
Thanks, All, for the suggestions. I too think sandblasting is the best option, but finding a capible firm around these parts is highly problematic. I have done more than my fair share of sandblasting, including blasting the entire hull on our houseboat.

I simply went with a knotted wire brush on a big Milwaukee side grinder, a smaller knotted wire brush on a small Milwaukee side grinder and a few brass wire brushes chucked in drill motors to reach into the tighter spots. I have the entire main frame cleaned up and in 1 coat of Rustoleum primer.

I have also have the nose frame prepared for primer as well and also the nose jack.

Pete answered one of my trailer questions. Here is another. Anyone know the purpose of this tab with the large hole it it? It's welded to the bottom of the Starboard trailer frame rail.

I also pulled the leaf springs off the axle and I am considering taking them apart and cleaning up each individual leaf and repainting them as well.

We have had some cold weather (relatively) here the last few days, so on those nights I installed the fuel cell and hooked up the filler hose, fuel line, vent hose, etc. Also installed the exhaust mufflers and exhaust hose between the mufflers and the exhaust port fittings. I got the cradle lagged in properly, will will need to take the bolts back out and CPES the penetrations and reinstall them with 5200. Coming along.

malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 9:04pm
Hope I am not too late with this suggestion. I use a product called Paint-Over-Rust. POR-15. Just knock off the rust flakes, the loose stuff, use Marine Clean then Metal Ready then paint with POR-15. You have to top coat it cause POR does not like UV. it will get chalky.

Not cheap but absolutely PERMANENT. And alot easier than grinding. Check it out. Google it.

por website
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Not sure of what safety gear was being used. They call I haul.

had to LOL....

had written on the inside tool cabinet door on my underground truck.."nobody gets hurt"..had to read that everyday everytime I got out a tool..makes one think all the time. I used to drive guys crazy with all the "safety crap"...but "nobody got hurt"

are you in East Tennessee Arklie?

BTW...Haiti was..well..life changing. would never be able to express it in a few words.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 6:41pm
Not sure of what safety gear was being used. They call I haul.
I know of one incident where the wire entered the cheek just below the safety glasses and went up through the cheek and pierced the eye.OUCH!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Stay away from the wire wheels!!!
You would be amazed at how many people end up in the ER from those spinning flechette dispensers. I’ve seen those wires stuck in eyes, faces, necks you name it.
Get some 3M 24 grit grinding discs and have at it then any bad grinding marks can be taken out with some 36 grit discs.

Paul,
No safety gear? I've done plenty of wire wheeling with the big grinders and never had a problem. Yes, care is needed but also don't buy the cheap wire wheels from the big box stores that throw their wires! Encapsulated wire brushes work great too. Repeating myself, you won't get the grinding marks out. A light wire brushing and a penetrating primer is all that's needed.

Yup, Gary has the best method - sandblast it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:38pm
Gary,
That’s what I would recommend and did with mine but I have a sand blaster and didn’t know how much he wanted to spend on the trailer restoration.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:30pm
Have it sandblasted,you get a better job and someone else gets dirty
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

Yes, Pete. Going to use a combination of methods, but primarily starting with a big-azz Milwaukee with a knotted wire brush. One of the worse job site injuries I have saw was when a laborer got a wire brush tangled up in a flannel shirt.

Stay away from the wire wheels!!!
You would be amazed at how many people end up in the ER from those spinning flechette dispensers. I’ve seen those wires stuck in eyes, faces, necks you name it.
Get some 3M 24 grit grinding discs and have at it then any bad grinding marks can be taken out with some 36 grit discs.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 11:06pm
Yes, Pete. Going to use a combination of methods, but primarily starting with a big-azz Milwaukee with a knotted wire brush. One of the worse job site injuries I have saw was when a laborer got a wire brush tangled up in a flannel shirt.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

Ready to grind. The grinding never ends, does it?

You may want to consider power wire brushing and then a rust penetrating primer. You will see all the grinder marks through the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic