Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 21>
Author
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001v-drive
    Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:06pm
I know some of you like original rebuilds and might find conflict with many aspects of my project but I ask that you look past that and try to appreciate all the hard work that goes into a project like this.I too love classic mustangs and think they are a work of art but this boat is a machine used four times or more a week.Its a tool we use often and as such cosmetic sacrifices have to be made in favor of function.This whole project is based on making the boat more usable and comfortable for our family and along the way a little more apealing to the eye.
Plans consist of stringer repair,v-drive conversion,fuel injection,new gellcoat(solid babyblue),ballast,perfectpass,heater and shower installs along with a whole new interior layout.
Most of you already know I am starting with Chris's old boat,the 88 model 2001 thats been in his family for a long time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:18pm
A few pics before I started,

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:22pm
There's a guy on the2001.com that has already done this convertion, I posted it here a few months ago, it is worth the search.

I'll throw you a few things to consider:
1-fuel tank location, belly or under the bow deck
2-what brand and model of vdrive, trying to keep the same shaft angle and strut, what reduction gear.
3-Not much space for underfloor ballast, maybe it isnt worth the task.

My considerations after seeing this other guy's project
1- Fuel tank under the bow or underfloor but as forward located as possible.
2-Walter vdrive is cheaper and has the longer profile (as does the new PCM or older Velvets) for allowing the location of the engine in the rear and keep the shaft angle. 1.5:1 reduction would be nice.
3- No underfloor ballast, there's plenty with the engine on the back now.

Edit:
After seeing the pics of such a sweet boat I wonder why you want to modify it?????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:26pm
I started by stripping the old stickers with a 3M eraser wheel,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:30pm
My v-drive came in on a pallet this week.I choose to use a new walters 1.5-1 like what come factory in a nautique for many reasons I will explain later,

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:36pm
Thanks luchog I think I will add that to my list.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:39pm
Funny story,well not so funny to me.I talked my wife into a new engine for the boat and used the fact that it has 2000 hours as leverage.I also told her a gt40 would be a smart improvement over stock and planned to seal the deal with a compression check that was not so great.Well all the cylinders where the same except number five which was one pound less than the rest.Aaahhhh Oh well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:43pm
pretty well got the interior stripped except for the stubborn carpet,

This little bastard was no fun at all

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 11:57pm
Ryan - It's your boat & if you want it custom, then go for it!

The V drive we saw on 2001.com turned out very nice; I like the lounge seating arrangement.

Keep taking photos, this might just get us through the winter.

Will you be replacing the stringers?     Maybe you want to double them up at the stern for the increased load back there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:04am
Interesting project! The other conversion was fantastic, it's been posted on probably every boating/boarding/skiing forum and everybody seems to absolutely love it. But with its classic look, it'd be a waste to put a tower on it. I've been wondering what an '85 or later 2001 V-drive wake-edition conversion would look like. So here we go...!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:33am
I just love these boats so much its worth the time and money to me.I also don't have alot going on this winter.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 2:04am
Hey Ryan,

I got a question for ya about your interior pieces that you took out. Email me at skizzer@optonline.net Thanks so far looking good. I am just finishing up my stringer job on my 85 did everything out of Coosa board so its completely composite, except the removable floor behind the dog house.

Thanks

Phil
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 6:07am
Wouldnt it have been easier or should I say less painful just to start a project like that on some abandoned hull. I have a weird feeling some furniture got thrown around Chris's college apartment after opening this post. Hopefully he lives on the ground floor or somebody needs to go over and padalock the sliding glass door to the balcony.

Waldo
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 10:29am
Ryan,
I admire your ambition even though I feel it would have been easier to start with a V drive hull! Of course then the hull would be different.

The shaft couplings can be a real PITA!! The couplings are a heat shrink fit. Looks like Chris got it on correctly - of course I'd expect that from him! Sometimes I feel it's easier and would take less time to pull the engine and then remove the shaft forward. Since you need to pull the engine, I'm just wondering why you didn't use that method. For future reference, using the four fine thread threaded rods with a deep socket between the prop shaft and the trans coupling works pretty good. You have the advantage of the four bolts instead of two to apply the pressure. BTW, if you plan on using that couplig half again, you should press it on the prop shaft, chuck up the shaft in the lathe and then take a cut on the mating face. There's a good chance that it's warped from using the two bolt puller.

I'm curiuos about your Walters choice? Fill us in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 11:55am
yes, me too, i have a couple beautiffffful hsw 630v's, much shorter stack up than the bw walters set up, self contained unit, can spin it either direction full power, should i keep going, ok ...all aluminum, no plantaries, much quieter, no u-joints, lol
its the cadillac of v-drives and if sought could be found cheap...plus some day they will be converted to electric shift and troll mode if needed
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 12:39pm
Waldo,being in the streetrod/restoration business the first rule of thumb is start with the best you can find because it cost more to repair then to buy nice.I tried the best I could to let Chris know what I was doing and assume he will be very proud to have previously owned this boat when he sees the end result.Besides that I am rebuilding this dude and extending its life far into the future.

Peter,I didn't understand the magnitude of what I was involved in until I was already knee deep in torches and bent pullers.I guess I should have asked first and saved the time.

Eric,my first choice was the 630v but it was designed to run both directions so as to use two lefthand engines and cannot be setup for a right hand engine.I don't know how much the right hand really matters but I didn't want to risk any side effects from a direction conversion.I also considered a casale gearbox with a small driveshaft but found the cost to be very high and the people envolved with those boxes are a pita to deal with.
The reality is the rv26 walters is cheap easy to install and behind a 240 horse is almost bullet proof.I also felt like if I went to sell this boat the factory unit would look more professional.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Waldo,being in the streetrod/restoration business the first rule of thumb is
The reality is the rv26 walters is cheap easy to install and behind a 240 horse is almost bullet proof.I also felt like if I went to sell this boat the factory unit would look more professional.

Might as well size the tranny for 320 hp since you can get the 351 up to there pretty easy.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Ryan,
You haven't gotten to the point of installing the Walters yet so it's not too late. I really question the unit being "bullet proof". Lots of problems out there with it!! The "U" joint design is not what I consider a engineering marvel!! You should give Eric a call and talk to him about the 630V.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:47pm
If you are not able to reuse 90% of that interior I would seriously consider selling it all as a unit and starting from scratch if you havent already. I am all about the mods if you feel its going to increase your enjoyment of the boat but that was a seriously beautiful boat to begin with, its hard to swallow that your jumping right into gelcoat changes... very ambitious.

The 1.5:1 is going to make things interesting with the prop and running gear. That much of a torque multiplyer puts you well into a larger prop shaft diameter. Frankly a 1.23:1 is about the limits of a 1" shaft and that is why propellers arent made with larger pitches and a one inch bore. You can get away with it on the 1:23 with very careful selection of prop shaft material and running higher rpm/lower torque engines. With the best of materials and a stock 240 hp engine you may be able to run a 1" shaft but its the hairy edge and you will be limited to a prop that is underpitched (not necessarily a bad thing for a very wakeboard specific boat).

Should be a great project...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 1:49pm
Eric, if he would have choosen the ZF, it's a much shorter unit he'd need to modify the strut and shaft angle to fit and that would be entering into dark territories.

Maybe not the Walters, but any "longprofile" unit.

Joe certainly has a point there, what's the largest diameter you can fit in there now? I'd use a 1' 1/8'' shaft too if possible with the 1.5:1, a 16 pitch propeller turns like crazy with that power reduction.

You dont have much propeller choices on 13' for that power reduction but you do on 13.5.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 4:19pm
To Form and function.
Great idea and good luck with the transformation.
I did the first SuperSport back in late 93 by transforming our Sport prototype over to V-drive configuration.

On this 2001 V-drive project the walters is a great choice. Robust! If at all possible I would couple it with a Borg 71-c even though the PCM and Hurth are lighter weight.

Keep us updated on your project. Also the OJ XPC shaft seal has worked marvelous in all our applications includung our old race boat!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 6:49pm
robust!!! decieving word, remove the r and the o, lol
I keep saving tranny's for all these projects, from a cost perspective he has the BW already, and is halfway there, but if you had to purchase the combo it would be more cost effective to go with the 630,
the 630 would shorten the engine hatch for more room in the boat. just posting for future reference..sht if i had a turbo 400 laying around i would try to use it,lol
If it was a wish list with no budget the choice for me would be the 630, and there is nothing wrong with the route your taking..
luch, the angles are close and if need be you could use a wedge plate to accomadate any angle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 6:54pm
and you could easily pump 500 ponies to the hurth, and to clarify F and F, you can only spin the input of the 630's left hand but, you could use a left or a right handed prop..because they are full power forward and a full power reverse transmission because of the lack of a planetary's
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 7:29pm
Eric wich a much shorter unit you would need to put a lot of wedge plates.... or place the engine not all that far into the back, maybe it's doable but my point is that some planning needs to be done.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

and you could easily pump 500 ponies to the hurth, and to clarify F and F, you can only spin the input of the 630's left hand but, you could use a left or a right handed prop..because they are full power forward and a full power reverse transmission because of the lack of a planetary's

Yea! But they are notourious leakers their is a reason we call them throw away transmissions!

And for the record I am running nearly 700 Hp to a PCM 1:1 in a flat coupled to a Casale V drive after three years of hard launches and high RPM runs it has held up beautifuly, NOte: just dont throw em in reverse to hard!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 8:14pm
Hi guys, followed this over form the2001.com.   I did the first conversion that was posted there and i guess someone took the picstures and posted them on here as well.

form&function,   first let me say good luck, its going to be a lot of work.   Youre starting at the right time, giving yourself 5-6 months to complete depending on where you are located.   

First, i went with a 1.21 ratio walters. So i cant comment on the 1.5:1

Dont worry about the shorter stack vdrive/trannys these guys are talking about. the position and angle of the shaft in the boat would only mean you have to move the motor further foward with a shorter stack setup.   So you dont gain any space in the boat. That is unless you change your shaft, shaft hole in the boat.   I dont think its worth it but thats up to you.

I used stock driveshaft and with walter everything fell right into place.

That boat looks liek its in GREAT condition!!! Might want to rethink that gelcoat job.   Its longgggg hard work and its expensive, and you have a great looking boat already.

If you have any other questions youre stuck on let me know.

What are you using the boat for? Wakeboarding or Surfing? I hope you dont plan on any slalom skiing.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 8:23pm
84 resto, I was the one who posted your project on this site, I thought it was worth for everyone to check it out!.

I'll shoot you a few questions
Do you have any pics of your boat running? did it end up too bow high?
What prop did you finally put on? and what kind of performance are you getting out of it?
Does it porpoise at high speeds? if so where at?
Did you consider a different route for the exhaust pipes avoiding the U bend?

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 8:37pm
Ryan, were in Oklahoma are you?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2009 at 8:49pm
I get the feeling this is going to be my new favorite thread....sorry pumpkin patch. F&F that is ambitious but if I had half the skills that you and 84resto have, I'd do it myself. I am very much looking forward to following this during the offseason and sincerely hope you don't lose interest in posting progress pics and information. 84restos modifications blew me away and I hope that yours turns out just as good. Good Luck, man! That's a kick a@@ project
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 21>
  Share Topic