NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 21>
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I would put in PVC pipe for conduit and run the cables through there. Make sure there is also enough room for two 1" hoses to fit so you can add a heater in the future.

Tim

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 2:53pm
I think I would still run them down between the primary stringers just for ease.
Run it all through a 4" PVC tube from the bow through the bulkhead at the front of the bilge. I do agree on a smaller PVC run for the wiring down the bilge, but heater hoses and steering cable I would run loose.

btw: Nice work so far Ryan! You are pounding this out pretty quickly.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 12:30pm
I purchased half inch marine plywood,do you guys think that will be sturdy enough?What method of mounting the plywood is the best?I know it has to be glassed to the wall.Should I screw it in and glass it?Should I make it removable?I thought about having the boat sent to a bedliner shop to have the floor sprayed and then make a removable carpet but bedliner is nothing to take lightly if it ever has to come off.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 12:50pm
Ryan, I may be wrong but I think you want regular ply coated in epoxy instead of marine ply. If its treated the epoxy won't stick to the ply. My Skier is regular untreated 1/2" ply coated in epoxy and is very stout. My floor is also removable. Came that way from CC.

I'll give you a call later today, headin home this AM.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Ryan, I may be wrong but I think you want regular ply coated in epoxy instead of marine ply. If its treated the epoxy won't stick to the ply. My Skier is regular untreated 1/2" ply coated in epoxy and is very stout. My floor is also removable. Came that way from CC.

Chris, If he bought true marine plywood, I think he is ok. You might be thinking of treated plywood...that you dont want. Marine ply has different specs as to the voids allowed, etc,
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:48pm
Thanks Steve, whats the benefit of marine ply over regular coated with epoxy?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 3:07pm

I'm pretty sure marine has more plys.

I would cut to fit and spend lots of time soaking it in CPES before you install it.

In that spot where the cables go out I would put one of the access panels (the ones that are installed over the shaft log) where the cables make the bend in between the secondary and main stringer.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 3:15pm
less voids
more plys?
waterproof glue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 3:39pm
Its marine grade 1/2 inch plywood.I was told it has a different glue and is made of high quality wood.It looks to be about the best and smoothest plywood I have ever seen.Douglas fir I think.So glass the bottom then install it with stainless screws and resin the sides to the ply?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

less voids
more plys?
waterproof glue

Yes, very tight specs on inner ply voids as in most cases, marine is structural.

Exterior ply uses the same waterproof glue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 4:03pm

So glass the bottom then install it with stainless screws and resin the sides to the ply?

I'd CPES all surfaces and then a couple coats of epoxy resin. You are using epoxy correct?

Ideally you want to set the ply down in a bed of thickened resin. No screws as this is just a potential spot for water intrusion. If you must add screws, countersink them and seal them off with CPES/resin/ filled resin.

BTW, stainless is a poor choice for the screws. If they do get wet and not allowed to dry, they will rust. Even 316 stainless will do it!! Stainless deck screws you typically find at the home improvement stores are even worse. They are 400 series stainless to get the hardness up - more carbon!!

Silicon bronze is the premium boat fastener.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 4:30pm

Its marine grade 1/2 inch plywood.I was told it has a different glue and is made of high quality wood.It looks to be about the best and smoothest plywood I have ever seen.Douglas fir I think.So glass the bottom then install it with stainless screws and resin the sides to the ply?

I would glass the bottom (two layers of 7-10oz cloth so I could stagger the seams if it was me) then I would put strips of fiberglass mat saturated with epoxy over the top of the stringersm, place the floor down on that and use your screws to hold the floor down. Tape the sides to the boat with overlapping layers of cloth tape, I use two layers of 2 inch wide, two layers of 4 wide, and two layers of 8 inch wide but there are plenty of acceptable ways. I would then use cloth or mat to cover everything from approx 6 inches up the side to down over and a inch or so past any exposed floor/stringer joints. Normally those would be in the center but you will only have them if your planning a removable center floor section. Any screws you use to fasten seats, etc through the floor should be well sealed.

When I bought my mustang the previous owner had put in a plywood floor and was very excited about the fact that he had sealed the entire thing with glass and west system epoxy. Problem is he then put holes in it everywhere to do everything from mount the seats to add a raised lip to increase engine cover clearance, there was nothing left to the floor in most spots but mush between two thin layers of glass.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 4:32pm
I have not used them yet, but if you access to a air or electric nail gun or staple gun you could give these a go to hold down while the epoxy sets.

Plastic Composite Nails or Staples
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 4:42pm
My understanding was that marine ply had slighty less voids. Other than than that exterior is the same as marine, except considerably less expensive. I used 5/8" exterior grade ply. I thickened epoxy to put down the bow, cockpit, and front half of the motor, then used stainless screws, countersunk, and bakc filled with epoxy. I pre-drilled these holes and also filled with epoxy using a syringe as best I could. For the section on each side from the exhaust back, I used somewhat less thickened epoxy in the event that I ever had to get back in there with an unlikely exhaust failure. My pipes are outboard of the stringers. I did not glass the floor to the sides. I got some of the black floor trim stock from CC that was used in the 80's and 90's along the edge. this was also due to "just in case" I ever had to pull the floor for some reason, I would hopefully not completely destroy the floor trying to get it up.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 10:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So glass the bottom then install it with stainless screws and resin the sides to the ply?

I'd CPES all surfaces and then a couple coats of epoxy resin. You are using epoxy correct?

Silicon bronze is the premium boat fastener.

Pete,for the sake of avoiding a argument I will not disclose the materials used on my boat.I will say they are high quality and compatable with the factory resin.I also have some bronze marine screws if I can find them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

I have not used them yet, but if you access to a air or electric nail gun or staple gun you could give these a go to hold down while the epoxy sets.

Plastic Composite Nails or Staples

I like these alot.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 11:47pm
I've known guys to use billboard before. the same stuff that they use on the highways billboards. It is 3/4", treated, waterproofed, and supposedly hurricane proof. I know for a fact it ways about 5X's that of marine 1/2' as I used it on a deck-dock boat this past summer. It is solid!!! Not sure if it woulf work on your application though.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:14am

Chris,
Ive always used 5/8" BC plywood for floors, mainly because its easier to find around here and is relatively inexpensive. It has exterior glue and with the "extra" 1/8" thickness has always been very solid under foot. (It's been used as underlayment in house floors)

The "B" side is plenty smooth to glue carpet over. I CPS and epoxy before carpet..... never had a problem...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:28am

Pete,for the sake of avoiding a argument I will not disclose the materials used on my boat.I will say they are high quality and compatable with the factory resin.I also have some bronze marine screws if I can find them.

Come on Chris be a good sportsman.

I am impressed with the progree, you are doing the boat really quick. Do you do this living? Can't wait to see the end result.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:42am
Anthony,my name is Ryan and I build streetrod parts and chassis for a living.sometimes I will even work on sandrails and rockcrawlers.Other days I fix trailers and inboard boats for a few people.

On the boat I choose to use polyester resin and polyester gell coat on the outside because thats what the boat was made of.I know the differences between the two good\bad and didn't want to argue about it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 10:27am
there are 2 things i dont discuss on these forums, well 3, woman, resin and painting the outside of boats. maybe a little about woman lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 10:57am
If you know the pros/cons of both resins, what led you down the path of choosing the polyester? Don't worry, I'm not baiting you into an arguement, I'm just curious.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 11:40am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

If you know the pros/cons of both resins, what led you down the path of choosing the polyester? Don't worry, I'm not baiting you into an arguement, I'm just curious.

If you have a steel car body you don't try to patch it with aluminum.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

If you have a steel car body you don't try to patch it with aluminum.

I disagree

I mean sure thats more a replace than repair, but the analogy means even less on in terms of fiberglass repair, expoy is a better patch than polyester regardless of what the original substrate is.. plenty of reasons to use poly or vinyl but none that come close to matching that analogy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:04pm
baited and pulled in...on the other side of the coin, what if the repair doesnt require epoxy? whats the difference? people still put foam back in these boats and thats the root of the problem. the analogy is the same as telling my kid if you keep eating sweets your going to get a cavity again.
the problems always been foam, wood, water, rot
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there are 2 things i dont discuss on these forums, well 3, woman, resin and painting the outside of boats. maybe a little about woman lol

You could add Politics, religions and swapping a RH for a LH rotation engines on a CC too!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

I've known guys to use billboard before. the same stuff that they use on the highways billboards. It is 3/4", treated, waterproofed, and supposedly hurricane proof. I know for a fact it ways about 5X's that of marine 1/2' as I used it on a deck-dock boat this past summer. It is solid!!! Not sure if it woulf work on your application though.

We built a ski jump out of that stuff at one point!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:00pm
saleen or silicone? i prefer natural or whatever i can get my hands on
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:01pm
we need a do"s and dont topic, drain em dont drain em, foam no foam, polyester or epoxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 21>
  Share Topic