NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 21>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

baited and pulled in...on the other side of the coin, what if the repair doesnt require epoxy? whats the difference? people still put foam back in these boats and thats the root of the problem. the analogy is the same as telling my kid if you keep eating sweets your going to get a cavity again.
the problems always been foam, wood, water, rot

Like I said plenty of reasons to use poly if you want, the analogy given however wasn't in support of poly it was against the use of epoxy as a patch on polyester and it is wrong, not looking for an arguement I just don't want people to pick up incorrect information.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 2:22pm
eric, I'm gonna throw the first chunk of wet foam out of our 88 at your head. Sure hope I don't mess up that pretty face of yours!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 3:00pm
I spent part of the last two nights ripping the foam out of the 68SN.

I will not re-foam a boat, I will not re-foam a boat, I will not re-foam a boat.   I swear I may have found the H1N1 vaccine in there. And some new bio warfare agents. I bet there is 500+ lbs when done.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 3:20pm
Here's something to throw in the salad bowl...

It's only been a year, but it does sit in the water. Note the daylight under the platform.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 3:32pm
Greg, any comment on the height of our platform? We've got a squishy floor with presumably the soaked foam underneath to match. The hydraulic lift sure struggled to lift the boat as well, which hoists our our 2600lb 196 just fine- so I think its heavy.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I spent part of the last two nights ripping the foam out of the 68SN.

I will not re-foam a boat, I will not re-foam a boat, I will not re-foam a boat.   I swear I may have found the H1N1 vaccine in there. And some new bio warfare agents. I bet there is 500+ lbs when done.

Mike, as this is your second boat that you've torn the foam out of, have you added any new tools to the job?

I used a cold chissel and a garden shovel on the Mustang. I'm thinking for the next one I'm going to a masonary store for some new tools.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:00pm
Regular old flat bar, and then the ten-in-one tool for the tighter stuff. And better beer.

I got the port side done and started starboard. Five bags 35-40lbs each. I cannot wait to see how much water is standing in the bow.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:07pm
Is the floor fiberglass over foam?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:11pm
Bruce,

It was, yes. And a lovely treated ply floor half nailed and half screwed down over that.
The foam is a LOT wetter than the Mustang was.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, any comment on the height of our platform?

Yea, do you need a boost to get up there?    

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Ha, maybe!

I wonder if our soaked structure is primarily located towads the front? Just seems like the platform sits pretty high for a wet boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 6:50pm
Epoxy resin = superior strength, bonding and most important it's not hydroscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Ha, maybe!

I wonder if our soaked structure is primarily located towads the front? Just seems like the platform sits pretty high for a wet boat.

After doing some crude math...an extra 500lbs of weight (call it wet foam) will only drop the hull into the water an additional 1 inch. That is assuming a fairly even distribution.

I think it would take extremely soaked foam to get an additional 500lbs, so you're probably talking less than 1 inch in most cases.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

After doing some crude math...an extra 500lbs of weight (call it wet foam) will only drop the hull into the water an additional 1 inch. That is assuming a fairly even distribution.

I think it would take extremely soaked foam to get an additional 500lbs, so you're probably talking less than 1 inch in most cases.

Having not run the numbers, I wont disagree- but ask Greg how much differently his boat sits in the water now after he removed all his water soaked foam.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:11pm
our local boat industry still uses poly resin to build boat..
some sail boat though are starting to use epoxy but not enough to make high volume in order to lower the prices ..thats why its so difficult and expensive to get and work with epoxy down here....
also labour is not used to work with epoxy and its sometime low curing process...
the guy that did my boat told me all of this also the epoxy is not as liquid as the poly thus making the work a little harder to wet the cloth...
anyway he was impressed on the bonding and strength the product had....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:17pm
as for the floating line I will soon know the difference...my boat used to float with the platform base in the water (with some gear and 200 lbs of dumbells in the back seat). I will set the same config to make good comparisson...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

...my boat used to float with the platform base in the water (with some gear and 200 lbs of dumbells in the back seat)

OK Eric... its your turn...

hey, gotta ask...are you lucky guys just getting into spring/ summer?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:24pm
Yeah I'm sure it sits better. Did Greg refoam?(too lazy to check the old thread) If he didn't that's getting rid of quite a bit of weight in the (dry) foam itself.

Also, I'm sure the weight of the wet foam tends to sit more rearward, affecting the platform height a bit more.

As for Steve's comment....
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:40pm
Craig yes the pumpking was refoamed....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Also, I'm sure the weight of the wet foam tends to sit more rearward, affecting the platform height a bit more.

Well our '79 is surely soaked as well- and check out how the platform sits (above). Just an interesting tidbit... I dont have an explanation.

Like Kap said, Greg refoamed (dont get him started!). That boat was rebuilt like a tank- I wouldnt say that its lighter than stock.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 8:21pm
This is how my ski sits now, i cant remember what it was like before.

I am pretty sure I couldnt see the brackets before under the platform. But I know Tim's and Gregs were Barfoot's Nautiques and not the Ski Nautique Hull's.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 9:00pm
Kapla you will need some extra crew members this year to make up for all the wet foam removed.

We will needs lots of pictures to confirm ride height.

P.S. Make sure they are taken on a sunny warm day
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 9:28pm

Having not run the numbers, I wont disagree- but ask Greg how much differently his boat sits in the water now after he removed all his water soaked foam.

It's a world different and handles that much better too. My platform was almost touching the water with the boat empty before.

(dont get him started!).

That boat was rebuilt like a tank- I wouldnt say that its lighter than stock.

I bet it's close; there aren't any globs of resin now.

And I agree with Lewy!   
1988 BFN-sold

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 9:55pm
Put in a two by ten bulkhead then got to work on the gell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 9:58pm
Whats the deal with all this prop clearance?I bet I could get a fourteen on it no problem.For reference the blade is a 13 measuring 12.75

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 10:26pm
You cannot have it too close or you will get prop rash on your gel.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 11:11pm
F&F, how do you get all those pieces of wood to fit so well and also be level for the floor?
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 11:35pm
Ryan, Nice work.. I have been following the thread and can you tell me how you flipped the boat over? I am getting ready to do the same.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:27am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

You cannot have it too close or you will get prop rash on your gel.

I thought 5/8 inch was all that was needed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

F&F, how do you get all those pieces of wood to fit so well and also be level for the floor?

I cut the wood a little large and shaved with a grinder till it fit.from the looks of the original floor I don't know how much it matters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 21>
  Share Topic