NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 21>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:32am
2 inches as far as I know.
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Pgaboeing Pgaboeing wrote:

Ryan, Nice work.. I have been following the thread and can you tell me how you flipped the boat over? I am getting ready to do the same.

I flipped the boat with two engine hoists,six ratchet straps and a rope/come along hanging from my roof.Not very much fun.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:37am
Originally posted by lfskizzer lfskizzer wrote:

This is how my ski sits now, i cant remember what it was like before.

I am pretty sure I couldnt see the brackets before under the platform. But I know Tim's and Gregs were Barfoot's Nautiques and not the Ski Nautique Hull's.

This is how my 89 sits on the water. The floor has never been opened up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:58am
Has anybody ever run a 14 inch prop on a 2001?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 1:30am
My '89 came with a 14x16 prop as original equipment - so yes, it should fit.    You can pick up a 14x16 Federal cheap, but you get what you pay for!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 2:33am
Ryan, I think you should modify this bad boy and add it to your 88!nautique tower
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 3:04am
form&function-Ryan- sorry for the thread hi-jack--But could you measure your plaques on your dash pod and give me the dimensions? The SN 2001 Plaque---2&3/4" X 1&1/4" ?????
Thanks,Marty

mtmabe@northstate.net

If you can get me some close up pics too!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 9:40am
10% of the prop diameter is the min. prop to hull clearance you want. Less than that and you run the risk of cavitation to the point of hull burn. So, it would be 1.4" on a 14" prop.

Bruce,
A common carpentry method of fitting wood to odd shape adjoining surfaces is called scribing. If you set the stringer in and say it's 3/8" high, you take one of those cheap dime store compasses and set it to 3/8". Then you pull it along the hull marking the stringer. The point will follow the contour of the hull and the pencil end will mark the stringers high spots that need to be removed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Has anybody ever run a 14 inch prop on a 2001?

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My '89 came with a 14x16 prop as original equipment - so yes, it should fit.    You can pick up a 14x16 Federal cheap, but you get what you pay for!

Chris but the 89 was running the 1.23 transmission correct?

I don't know that Ryan will gain anything spinning the larger prop with the 1:1...it may actually hurt the performance? (guessing)

***Edit...I'm retarded...forgetting the whole topic of this thread (V-DRIVE)......(smacks self on forehead)
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 11:39am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I don't know that Ryan will gain anything spinning the larger prop with the 1:1...it may actually hurt the performance? (guessing)

Maybe not. A larger diameter prop if it isn't so close to the hull to cause cavitation should have some gains. Here's why: As pitch is increased, the slip increases and efficiency decreases. If you can run a larger diameter with less pitch then the theoretical slip will be less.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:16pm
Problem is the biggest prop acme makes in a one inch shaft is 13.5. I don't know if that will be big enough for the 1.46-1 v-drive.Seems like he recommended a very agressive prop at 13.5-14.25-.60.
Anyways,thanks for the help guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Ryan, I think you should modify this bad boy and add it to your 88!nautique tower

I already spent a small fortune on a tower and what not.That think looks a little strange for a fct.Shows how much I pay attention.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:24pm
4 blade 13.5x16 is a very good prop for that little boat

You could use the added stern lift of the 4 blade with that rear engine setup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:38pm
No amount of stern lift is going to help a v-drive.Its the nature of the beast and they all act the same.Porpose,bow rise,hard to plane are just things you learn to deal with.It will be interesting however to see how good this little eighteen footer does compared to some of the monsters I have owned in the past.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 1:21pm
Ryan,
Sounds like you're back to the problem Joe (JoeinNY) brought up early in the thread. Props not large enough for the reduction combined with the 1" bore limit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 1:23pm
Ever wonder why all V-drive boats leave factory with a 4 blade?

Also, are the shaft and strut the same for all the 2001 year range?
Or did CC change something for the 89' with the tranny change?

Have you considered using a 1,25'' shaft to increase your propeller choices? What prop rotation will you end up using?

You can build a hell of a boat, but if you dont get it right with the prop it will run like crap.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 12:10pm
I am running the acme 13.5 x 16 prop on my 2001. It is larger in diameter than the stock "14x16" federal. It is probably not a bad prop for this boat with 240 hp and the gear reduction,although it's likely to be a 41 mph boat. It has enough clearance. I also have in my possesion a custom 13 x 17 4 blade oj that might be worth a shot depending on how the acme runs. But it is all but guaranteed to twist a stock strength shaft.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 12:23pm
I have a brand new 13x17 3 blade OJ that I will never use so once you get in the water if you want to test it let me know.

I also think in the end a set of trim tabs will cure any handling problems you may get at higher speeds from all that weight in the stern.

great work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 12:50pm
Theres only one way to figure it out and thats the hard way.I still don't understand why acme would recomend a 14.25 pitch prop.Wouldn't that put my topend about thirty five?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Theres only one way to figure it out and thats the hard way.I still don't understand why acme would recomend a 14.25 pitch prop.Wouldn't that put my topend about thirty five?

Without going back through the posts , what are you plans for the engine? Stock? What rpms are you planing on running?

The 14.25 pitch shows 35mph at 4600 rpm

The 16 pitch shows 39mph at 4600, both using a guestimated slip of 17.5%

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2009 at 1:57pm
F&F, I guess your primary or main use will be wakeboarding right?

A 16 pitch prop develops around 3000-3100rpms at boarding speeds on most modern V-drive boats
Now your engine is stock vs a modern 320-340hp new engine but your boat is quite smaller too.

These engines develop it's best pulling power between 2700-3400rpm. I think you'll be in that range with the 16.

The 14.25 is the power prop for the newer boats, It will boost your rpms up and give you the best pulling power but I think it would be overkill in such a little boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 12:02am
Was stuck waiting for gell coat supplies so I figured I would start sorting out some of the accesories.
Had one skeg with a chunk missing so I tried to braise it.I suck at braising for the record.
Then I broke the windsheild down and media blasted the frame along with the underwater gear.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 12:07am
Tell us about that Malibu Skier in the background. What year, engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 12:40am
That is a 89 with a chevy 350 that my loan officer bought new.He's been looking a ski nautiques for years but never traded out.Maybe now that I have one it will be motivation he needs to upgrade.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 12:46am
Those old Skiers are cool boats. They put Malibu on the map.
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 2:58am
This has been a good thread, I am planning to do my stringers next winter and have a few questions. Being that I live in Louisiana, I have easy access to cypress wood, would it work as well as Douglas Fir?

Also, the Coosa stuff, just how expensive is it? And if I were to go with Coosa, do you call and order the sizes you need? Can the Coosa be used for the stringers or just for the floor?

Suggestion: when I do mine I am going to roll on some of this stuff

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/43103/377%20710%201005/0/Primers,%20Undercoats%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710 1005&Ne=0&Ntt=Primers, Undercoats &Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=44&subdeptNum=10892&classNum=10892

Then I plan on having some snap-in carpet made. I had seen a link on here at one time to a company that makes custom carpet for boats.
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 3:34am
Here's the link for the carpet:

http://www.snapincarpet.com/

And this is the stuff I'll probably use for the floor since you can get it in various colors:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73213&pdesc=Overtons_Rubberized_Nonskid_Marine_Coating_gallon&cname=Non-Skid-Coating&aID=601E3&merchID=1009&r=view
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 9:03am
Ryan,
Next time you have any copper alloys to weld up, try your TIG welder. (looks like your shop is well equiped so I assume you have one). Grab a piece of non fluxed brazing rod, set the Tig to AC and continuous high frequency. It welds like aluminum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 9:24am
Brad,
I suggest you stay out of the West and the Overtons catalogs. West is high priced and Overtons sells more tubes than boat building supplies!!
Here's Jamestown distributors

I also recommend you stick with some traditional and more original finishing methods. It will pay in the long run if the time comes you want to sell the boat. You don't want the boat to look like someone over on Wakeworld used truck bed liner on the floor!!!

Cypress isn't a bad choice if you can find some nice old growth. It will be fairly dense so it's close to the strength of the Fir. Now the only problem with it is it can be on the oily side which inhibits the resin adhesion. If you do use it, you definately must pre prime/seal with CPES. The CPES has so much solvent in it initially that it will penetrate the oily wood. Actually, any wood you use you will want to CPES!!

Linking on CCfan is a little different than other sites. You go to the "post reply", click on the world icon, type in the description, click ok, then in the next box paste the copied address and click ok.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2009 at 1:18pm
Pete,I was not aware you could tig brass.Ill give it a try next time.
The problem with the cypress is the same problem I had with the douglas.There is no old growth left and what they call firsts is more like thirds.I didn't understand what old growth was until I crawled under my house(circa 1930)and noticed the wood was smooth as a babies bum.The oak floors are equally impressive.
I ended up settling for the best I could find but it was not half as good as the rotted stuff I pulled out of the boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 21>
  Share Topic