NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9101112>
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 11:14pm
Pete, my kitchen doesn't look as good as that shop
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 2:07am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] It had been several months since I'd been up north to check the progress on the shop so it was exciting going up for a week. Last trip up the heat wasn't in yet! With the exception of the plumber having one of the hydronic loops mixed up, I'm happy.

I have been following this since i have been a member. I never would have thought that anyone, could have put as much thought into building their personal shop as i have. I have thought of things such as the extra room with sound proof material for my air compressor (conditioned). HVAC for the entire work space with spiral duct. Welding table with exhaust for fumes. Flooring, ECT.ECT.ECT. pete i thought of the same thing with the taps for air, however they were not in that fancy little box
i just thought of stubbing out of the wall with a countersunk gauge next to the stub. very very cool.
BUT OUT OF ALL THAT!!!I have to say i work with copper every single day and i solder almost every single day and have done jobs that consist of hanging all of my hard drawn copper on the wall with uni strut using all copper fittings(NO BENDERS). But who ever did this job......Wow very professional. I could stare at it for days absolutely a great job. When i start my shop construction, hopefully you can give some me some much needed advice and cost saving tips.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 7:26am
Pete, Its a dream shop you have there,be careful the pressure will be on for the first CCF garage meet at your place.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Pete, Its a dream shop you have there,be careful the pressure will be on for the first CCF garage meet at your place.

Roger.

Roger,
With the GL reunion ending, this may be coming!!! I've co-hosted several ACBS wood boat outings and they all turned out fantastic. My area is great for boating with the exception of limited "sand bar" areas. The 20 lakes all connected are the best for boating in the USA. Just ask Reid who we (me and especially Mark ("LLS") had the pleasure of hosting (Lori too) this past week.

BTW, If I do a reunion, I will give you plenty of notice - The greatest epoxy lam guy MUST be there!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:31pm
I'm getting closer to a working shop. The little details with any project really kill you and really take the time. This last week I was able to get the hoist's up. Working by myself I did need to do some engineering and some fab. I made the "end of arm" to fit on on my engine hoist to get the hoists up to the W beams. It worked perfectly!!

I also got the conductor bars fastened to the ceiling, hoists connected and working great.

I'm ready to roll over the "launch" project the next trip up north - then the fun begins!!!

You may notice the skid marks on the floor in the picture below. That old trailer which had been sitting outside for probably 40 years before I borrowed it 5 years ago blew a tire as soon as it got inside the shop. I'm not going to use it for the final project (I'll need to build a custom trailer - plus 1 on the project list!!!!) but I will need to get the trailer back out of the shop. I'll probably just put tubes in the old tires.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:12am
Well, I've searched for 10 minutes for my thread on the tree falling on my new shop and can't find it!! So, I'll tack the result of my insurance claim in this thread.

I love it.....the contractor says the repair will cost $4500.00 and the stupid "independant adjuster" says $3367.10!! Where do these guys come up with the figures!! That standing seam roof is not easy to take apart to repair. Also, the adjuster probably got the cheap stuff quoted for the metal at Menards. There are 13 panels on both sides of the roof that need replacing, some metal trim pieces and some sheathing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:54pm
should have posted it on the "jokes" thread.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:09pm
Pete, the adjuster came up with his price after depreciating the age of the building!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete, the adjuster came up with his price after depreciating the age of the building!

Yes, it's like driving a brand new car going less than a block and having an accident!!

That $3367.10 isn't even the bottom line. Less my $500 deductible they sent me a check for $2867.10.

I wonder where the $.10 came from!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 4:03pm
Next will be your "We are sorry but we can no longer insure your property" letter.

Insurance is only good when your buying it!!!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 6:23pm
I know how you feel Pete. My accident was the fault of the truck driver and my car insurance and medical insurance and myself have had to pay for everything so far. I am probably over $25,000 including what my insurance gave me for my truck and not done yet. I am out my deductable on my truck as well. Truck insurance has paid = $0. They force people to sue them when something like this happens. Insurance sucks, but you have to have it!
Greg

86 BFN
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 7:09pm
Thankfully, it is "only" property...

A month ago, about 10 miles from us, two 14 year old girls were electrocuted by an irrigator that had been shorted out by a lightning strike while de-tasseling corn. ... NOT good...

Just heard on the news, lawsuites filed against the landowner, the land renter, Monsanto, the crew leader, and the power company....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:42am
Pete, not much you can say but I think, """that sucks soooooo BAD""", sums it up!!!!

At least you built that place like a tank and the tree didn't get to far into the building.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:49am
did 3 insurance jobs in the last month, the ones that were very questionable were covered 100%, the last one insured thru PROGRESSIVE POS insurnce was denied, went up on a sand bar and chipped the gears, they claimed by their expert auto adjuster that it was (mechanical fatigue gear faliure. Once again if you have Progressive, drop em before they drop you.
sorry about your man cave there Pete
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 7:13pm
Eric,
No on the PROGRESSIVE POS!! The house and shop up north is under a State Farm policy. I will see how this works out!! I talked with the adjuster yesterday afternoon and my agent yesterday morning. Both have told me that the initial (low ball) estimate by the adjuster is by no means final. They both are awaiting a formal estimate from my general contractor. BTW, my GC immediately placed an order for the replacement metal after he inspected the damage and tarped the roof. He knows how to handle his good customers!! and, knows I'm good for it no matter what the outcome is with the insurance.

The adjuster admitted to be not very knowledgeable on true construction issues. All they do is take standard pricing off a data base. It's just like the flat rate out of the book you get with auto repair, So, if he measures 330 square ft of standing seam metal roofing is needed, it should take a person X hours to replace/repair it. BS!!! Someone who has no idea of what's going on developed the program.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 8:05am
This morning I had a very pleasant voice message from the adjuster taking care of my claim for the roof damage. He said he got a copy of the estimate from my general contractor for the repairs. They are going to use it for the settlement and not his original calculations!! The check is in the mail!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 12:52am
Our new Correct Craft Mancave 3 miles from my house. 30' x 40' barn with 12' ceilings. It has an 8' tall ceiling on the upper level for storage. There is an electric "dumb waiter" for moving light items to the second floor. The PO left a racking system that will allow us to store our (6) SeaDoos in two stacks of three. In the summer, we will use the rack to store Quads. We got the 4000lb lift truck for free. I got it running for $450, including three batteries I hooked up in series to get the 36 volts.
I just hung the banners today.

Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 6:16pm
The project launch going sunny side up.

And over

It's going to be a project to say the least!! Typical of any old boat, the oil saturation is bad!!!

I got all the pipes insulated in the utility room. They were acting like a big radiator keeping it pretty warm in there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 6:20pm
Steve, how about a picture from the outside, it's hard to gauge the building in those shots. Buy or rent?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 12:11am
Wood,
Sorry for no outside photos. I'll get some soon.
We bought it. It's barn shape. Funny thing is; it's 30' wide on a 30' wide lot. Luckily there's a 30' "ally" next to it and a 20' "ally" behind it.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:45pm
I keep on forgetting one important aspect about the size of the garage/shop that all should consider when planing on building. I'm finding the biggest problem with my new shop size is I have a hard time figuring out where I set my beer down!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I keep on forgetting one important aspect about the size of the garage/shop That all should consider when planing on building. I'm finding the biggest problem with my new shop size is I have a hard time figuring out where I set my beer down!!   

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:20pm
Not my shop but the current location of our Chris Craft Continental. I thought Pete would like to see how progress is coming on this one.

So far Steve has given a great bill of health. Needs a new keel and a few braces, but overall he's really impressed with the condition.    

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:41pm
Chris,
From the pictures, it does look to be in very decent shape. That split frame is very typical. I have to assume he's going with a 5200 bottom correct?

Look'n good!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 3:56pm
Correct, should be started on assembly by the time we get up there to see him in a few weeks.

Nice to see some progress happening on this boat. Steve sure does a great job!

Thanks again for the reference!
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 2:53am
That looks like Steve Bunda's Bottoms Up shop. I friended him on Facebook just to see more pictures of how he set up his shop and to drool over how clean he keeps it. Looks like some excellent progress!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

That looks like Steve Bunda's Bottoms Up shop.

Brian,
It is Steve's shop. I go back with him to the early 80's when he was still in the Milwaukee area and the old MACBA days (Midwest Antique Classic Boating Association) He always did great work and yes, it does amaze me how clean his shop is!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 2:03pm
Brian,
Pete is correct and Steve's shop is every bit as tidy as it looks in the picture. First class operation for sure but you're only seeing the SHOP part! Since my last visit he's finished off the cabin side of that building for when boat owners come up to see their projects. We'll be up there sometime in October to visit again so I'm excited to see his progress.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2011 at 10:02pm
As mentioned, I'm trying to get some of the little things out of the way on the launch restoration. Actually it's the "little" things that take the time because there are so many of them!!

The helm before:

And now after I turned a new spool and handles:

I'm pretty lucky in that this launch was strictly utility so the restoration does not need lots of detailing (nor should it to keep it original - many over restore!!) so, the brass is not polished. Back in those days, you could purchase rough machined as cast items or pay a premium to go all the way with polishing. So, the brass was blasted and lacquered.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2012 at 9:42pm
I'm still on the "small projects" that take time like you would not believe on a boat restoration.

I made a short run up north Saturday morning and came back today with the original fuel tank out of the launch. Wow, it is sure showing its' years of service - About 100 now!! I really want to try to save it (yes, keeping it original! ) and will try to do so. I have heard nothing but good reports about the tank lining kits from all the people I talk to and want to try it. I will not be sending it out to a "pro" like John B did.

The biggest issue is the thin gauge they used to make the tank. I'd say without actually measuring it's got to be 22. The inlet was totally fractured so I plan on seeing our pro Tig guy tomorrow. I what to ask him if he can weld a weldable tank fitting:

I went to post a picture and this came up: "access denied"? HW, what are you doing??? The rest of the pictures are off photobucket.
Anyway while one of our site moderators figures out what's gong on, here's a couple shots of the tank I'm trying to keep:

The bottom gravity feed fitting is also a real bad area.

I will probably end up soft soldering a reinforcement plate there. It seems to be the low point of the tank and is where all the rust pitting is. I'm really not too worried since the coating do seal up most of the problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9101112>
  Share Topic