Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neck braces

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:11pm
im sure you do james
davee40
lakeland,fl
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Wacko Wacko wrote:

I was just wondering what the reasoning was? It doesn't seem like my neck would be at more risk when footing backwards? Not trying to add to the argument just asking for my own curiosity.

It is a hard fall because your head is thrown back on the fall.....kind of like a whiplash injury. In addition, when going out the back, you really don't have much chance and aren't in position to tuck and roll with the fall. Even though the speeds are usually a bit slower than forward speeds, the falls can really ring your bell and the neckbraces do help avoid injury.

One other thing that was pointed out to me (that I found that helps) is to keep your head rolled back tight to your shoulders--head up. In that position, it doesn't have far to travel after the fall and really cuts down on the amount of stars I see after a fall.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:25pm
Do you guys ever have problems with water in your ears? I was wondering if a helmut would help with that?

Maybe a neck brace is a great idea. Seems a face plant going forward would screw your neck, too.
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:31pm
Wacko, when falling backwards it is hard to keep your head tucked and on hard,surprising falls you can get a touch of whiplash when you smack the water. The brace limits how far your neck can snap toward the middle of your shoulder blades. On front to backs it can be worse (for me) because you are traveling at a higher speed (than plain back footing) and the falls tend to be not so graceful and out of position. I tend to fall more times than not. I don't wear one for front footing but after hundreds of falls while you are trying to learn and master a trick it can take a toll on your neck.I remember one day I fell probably 40 times on the shoes while trying front to back and another 5 or 6 on my feet. If you are a natural footer and learn without any nasty falls you are lucky.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:35pm
Oh yeah, I put tape over my nose too. Bad sinuses. Almost forgot, I wear a banana cup for back deeps. Is that acceptable?

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:38pm
you can break your neck with a front fall just as quick as with with a backward fall
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:42pm
james you wear a banana cup padded panties and a cowboy neck brace did you you use to be a rodeo rider or are you still talking about barefooting
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:43pm
and duct tape on your nose
davee40
lakeland,fl
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:43pm
Like I said, I must not be as tough as you. Or, maybe, you don't have any balls so you don't even need a cup?

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:52pm
been barefooting for 35 years and never wore a cup or padded panties .other than my wet suit i do wear a nose plug on deep water backs, and no i havent been neutered
davee40
lakeland,fl
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 9:54pm
OK, everybody out of the sandbox.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 10:23pm
good one
davee40
lakeland,fl
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 11:24am
The neck brace for me is the difference of a week of neck pain after a bad back fall vs. just some pain when it happens.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

i do wear a nose plug on deep water backs

Do you wear a clit clip too? I suppose that makes sense since you haven't been neutered.

I don't think anyone cares what you wear barefooting. Unless you have a neck brace suggestion, or a word of caution with any of the models you're not adding anything to this thread. Actually, you're making yourself look like quite an ass. We get your point, you think we're all pussies. Thanks!
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:10pm
you know what hw if by voicing an opposing opinion and being sarcastic youve been an ass on here quite often , if you will read back youll see that you and python started throwing out the snide remarks. i just reciprocated
davee40
lakeland,fl
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:21pm
Oh, my fault for not catching your sarcasm. For the last time, what else do you have to add to this thread? I've already wasted enough space engaging you, turning to ignore now.
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:44pm
you know what hw its still a free country so do as you wish
davee40
lakeland,fl
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

After watching a football game last week, I noticed what some of those guys wore. ($50) (too bulky?)

Any one have any other ideas?

I have seen a number of 200' plus jumpers wear this! Also Jon Travers (Pro slalom skier) wears something similar.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I have seen a number of 200' plus jumpers wear this! Also Jon Travers (Pro slalom skier) wears something similar.

They must be wimps who should get out of the sport.
I think the following should quit their sports/careers too for they are obviously too wimpy to be particiipating in them:

Wimpy football players that wear pads, helmets, cups, mouthguards
Wimpy race car drivers that wear helmets, flame retardant suits, hans devices
Wimpy cyclists that wear helmets
Wimpy motorcyclists that wear helmets, shin guards
Wimpy hockey goalies that wear masks, gloves, pads
Wimpy marksmen that wear ear and eye protection
Wimpy boat racers that wear life jackets and helmets
Wimpy doctors and EMTs that wear masks and gloves
Wimpy fireman who wear boots, helmets, shields, turnout gear
Wimpy hazardous response professionals that wear suits, respirators, gloves, boots
Wimpy body shop workers that wear respirators
Wimpy soldiers that wear helmets and flak jackets
Wimpy paratroopers that wear parachutes

For crying out load...what happened to all the men?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 3:06pm
They all moved to Cape Cod and became Lobster fishermen!!!

Hey have you been to the Lobster boat races?? Some of those things fly.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

They all moved to Cape Cod and became Lobster fishermen!!!

Hey have you been to the Lobster boat races?? Some of those things fly.

They call them Lobstermen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5v6PGDkqE

Larry, it's a wonder you're not all busted up!
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 6:52pm
those lobster boats are bad ass
davee40
lakeland,fl
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:38pm
Many thanks to those of you that offered constructive comments. My BFC neckbrace arrived today. I still think $100 is ridiculous for what you get material-wise, but certainly worth it pain and safety-wise. Since I couldnt bring myself to ponying up that kind of dough, I sold some crap on ebay I had laying around till I had enough in paypal and then ordered it. Only thing I regret is having to sit and stare at it for the next four months. Hmmmmm...River Run???
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:43pm
Larry, what about ear protection. Are ear infections common for barefooters? If so, what do you suggest besides bathing caps?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 5:59pm
Bruce,

I recall you asked about that earlier in the thread. Are the boys having trouble with ear infections? I never had that problem, although I have ruptured ear drums on a number of occasions to the point where my hearing is rather affected on one side. Unless you take a hard fall, I dont see water in the ear any worse than skiing, but I could be wrong. A swim cap could work, although that might look as goofy as my goggles, nose clips, neck brace..... Ear plugs are a possibility, but definitely DO NOT use those plastic tree looking things that stick into your ear canal. A good twisting fall and those suckers would be jammed three inches into your brains. I used to buy those soft waxy moldy kind when I was having my ear drum problems and make sure they covered my outer ear so they can't get jammed in. I used to tinker with a toe-hold handle years ago and when falling, I would tend to torque to the side...not a pretty fall, ear-wise.

My son has trouble with in-the-water related ear infections, not necessarily from skiing, just being in the water in general. He was given some drops to use before going in the water that may help. Guess they form a barrier against intruding water, but I am guessing that theory might not hold water (ha ha get it) when that intruding water is intruding at 40 mph!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 6:09pm
I didn't know if a good dragging through the water flushed everything out so much that it caused problems. Bathing caps are not an option. It wouldn't bother me, but funny how stuff like that bothers younger people. I remember your Thomas asking you when you and Quinner were donning those orange vests, " why are you doing this"?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Larry, what about ear protection. Are ear infections common for barefooters? If so, what do you suggest besides bathing caps?

I have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my boat. When the water starts warming up I always just put a capful into each ear at the boat lift. It pops and sizzles

Tim

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:23am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Only thing I regret is having to sit and stare at it for the next four months.

Bring it down here and me and Eddie will put you and your new brace in the water. Me..I will drive..knee still giving me trouble.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:37am
Wanted to try my new brace from BFC down at St. John's, but did not get the chance. I think I'm going to book some instruction from Andre De Viller this spring. I'm sure I'll get some use out of it learning a consistant back deep.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic