NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 26>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 8:57am
Keegan,
At the bottom of this page: Aluminum T molding If you go back and look at the pictures of Dave's floor, I think you'll be able to see some of it. It's the ribbed version and here's the picture in this thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Mike- could be you are right. This is the only CC I have ever been around so I don't know any different. The extra battery fits well and I now have a plan for the installation.

Here it is

I believe the floor overlay would have been screwed down- it definitely wasnt bedded or sealed. A previous owner of my Skier replaced the wood in the mid-90's, so it seems to have been a serviceable item. I would coat the wood in epoxy, wrap in vinyl and screw it down.

What is the deal with those plastic battery boxes- are you planning on using them? I dont think glass will stick to them. They also look to be smaller than the box that was in my Tique- which fits the appropriately sized and commonly available Group 65 battery. Still, I have my doubts that you can comfortably fit all of your vent and conduit lines past them. Make sure you do a test fit before you cut and glass everything!

Although my Skier has been carpeted, it has the same ribbed T-molding that Dave (Godfather) has in his Mustang. Like the name implies, the trim is T-shaped, not H-shaped. It is used between every piece of ply on the floor (front and rear, just like Dave's), not just on the sides of the removable panel.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:51pm
Pete- I never made it to the bottom of the page to see the T trim. Thanks for making it jump up and slap me ! Glad I can get that still and I will be using it.

Tim- I am stealing this idea from Mike, except using 2 batteries. If you look at the mock up picture I posted you can see in the left picture the holes in the original bulkhead leave plenty of room. The box fits the battery that came out of the boat and has a little room to spare. Group 65. I plan to glass a 1x4 to the hull and screw the boxes to the floor.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 11:35am
Keegan, Im not sure what would be different between our 2 set ups that would allow you to run the battery sideways and still fit the vent cables by. We are comparing the same hulls with the same stringer spacing and battery size. I cant see how Mike ran his vent lines in his Mustang- just his conduit.

I highly recommend going with a 4" conduit for the cables, etc- it makes fishing things through MUCH easier. The 2.5" PVC vent hoses are 2-7/8" OD and even in my set up were spaced a bit too close. It was very hard to get between them on the bulkhead and seal them up properly. Im going with a larger spacing on the BFN. If you figure out a way to do it cleanly, please share!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 12:35pm
I left the original fiberglass vent tube in mine. There is only one and is about equally spaced to the PVC I ran, but slightly smaller, iirc.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 12:37pm
Only having one makes sense. Getting 3 past there is much tougher. I bet the fiberglass tubing has a thinner wall than PVC as well.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 12:55pm
Mike can you help out here? I know that up against my original bulkhead there is plenty of room. If I use a larger conduit it might not work that way. Also, I only have 2 air hoses, and am still confused as to why Tim has 3. Regardless, I will dry fit everything before I glass anything. That is why I am still in this cursed "planning" phase. Once I start glassing all the details will have been decided and things should move along quickly. There is enough room to run the batteries parallel if perpendicular is too tight.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 12:56pm
Quite a bit thinner. For the conduit I used thinwalled PVC, I posted the part number on another thread somwehere. It weighs far less than the white stuff.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Quite a bit thinner. For the conduit I used thinwalled PVC, I posted the part number on another thread somwehere. It weighs far less than the white stuff.

because it's for electrical applications and not plumbing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Also, I only have 2 air hoses, and am still confused as to why Tim has 3.

This is an important detail that you hadnt mentioned before! Remember, all of my rebuild pictures are from my Ski Tique- so this would be one of the minor differences that CC incorporated between '73 and '78. With the extra vents in the motorbox on the earlier boats, CC must have deemed 2 vent hoses to be sufficient. The Tique relies solely on the vent hoses (no holes in the motorbox).
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:15pm
I do not have any vents on my doghouse and there was no fiberglass tubing either. Just the 2 plastic flex ducts for the air and a plastic tube for the electrical. The electric conduit seems to make sense, since they are not under pressure, are lighter and cheaper.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

because it's for electrical applications and not plumbing.

Chris,
Not true but you're on the right track. Non metalic PVC electric conduit meets the sch. 40 and sch. 80 OD dimentions but has a wall thickness equal to the sch. 40 which is the "normal" size you'll find at the hardware. Gravity flow PVC which is sometimes referred to as scd. 10 has the thin wall but it's OD is different so scd. 40 fittings can't be used.

As a example, 3" sch. 40 PVC plumbling and electrical has a wall thickness of about .45" whereas 3" sch. 10 has a wall thickness of only .14" Some of the big box stores carry the scd. 10 as drainage pipe. Mcmaster also carries the thin wall listed as "gravity flow" PVC pipe.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:44pm
4"PVC S&D 3500# Super Crush ASTM D2729

is what I used.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:52pm

4"PVC S&D 3500# Super Crush ASTM D2729 is what I used.

The ASTM D2729 tells all! That is the "gravity flow" thin wall. Same as McMaster carries. The "S&D" stands for "sewer & drain".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 12:24am
Thanks again guys. I finished all of the "planning" today. I now have a plan in place and feel good about it. I will start cutting notches tomorrow, oh wait it is supposed to rain. Darnit I need a shop! Here are some pictures of the seat layup that I have been meaning to post but have not had the time.

The shell all repaired

The plywood, fiberglass sandwich with bolts and T nuts in place. I CPES'ed everything after setting it all up

With the cushion base in place.

Part of the deal with my upholstery guy was that I would figure out and drill all the holes for the heated seats. That is what the big ass hole is for.

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 12:31pm
Pretty sweet Keegan! Where are you gonna run the wires?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 1:20pm
I am going to mount the controller under the seat out of view and will do my best to run the wires out of site from the floor up to the seat. I milled around several ideas and in the end decided that if these things crap out after a year I will just snip the wires. I could have mounted the controls on the side of the seat in plain view but that is only cool if they work and I am going for a stock look anyway. My wife still does not understand why the heated seats. That is because she has never been out there on an 85 degree day in November when it drops 30 degrees as soon as the sun gets low and your all wet and have a 40mph cruise back to the dock. Plus they were a fraction of the cost of the heater systems they sell for IB's.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 2:38pm
When cutting my notches for cross members- how much wider and deeper should I cut them to account for them being glassed? I was thinking 1/8" on the depth and a 1/4" on the width. I am using the 8.9 oz tapes and 12" biaxial.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 2:53pm
Keegan,
I'd actually go wider and deeper by another 1/8". You'll be bedding the crossmembers in thickened epoxy so if they are a little wide it's better than too narrow. When you set them, clamp a board on the top as a height stop to the top of the stringer. Put a piece of wax paper between the top of this temporary board and the stringer so it won't stick.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 2:57pm
What crossmembers?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What crossmembers?

I gave in and am putting the original supports back in behind the transmission that span across the bilge and to the walls to help support the floor. Also the notches for my extra layer of ply in the front and at the bulkhead. I am so tired of trying to figure this thing out that I am not trying to re-invent the wheel anymore. It is already boating weather here so it is time to get going! I hope that I can make some real progress by the end of the weekend putting the starboard side back together. I have all the materials and am ready to rock it out. Most of the aesthetic details have been decided on and will be here by the end of the month- seats, vinyl, speakers, and trim. My self imposed deadline is the beginning of June. That will be 6 months from starting.

Thanks Pete. I cannot wait to lay my first stringer down. I got to use the cabosil to fill holes on my seats. Those were a great little project to teach me to use the different materials I will be using for the rest of the build.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 4:34pm
I have not even looked into wiring yet. What do you guys think about this from harbor freight on sale for $29.

Webpage

I think Tim said $200 for all o the wiring. Would this work? I know I would still need shrink tubes and harness clip.

1973 Skier
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 4:45pm
a large wooden dowel rod or metal rod works just as good, suspend it from some cinder blocks ladder couple chairs. But if your doing a lot of wiring afterwards then maybe its worth it
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 4:47pm
That would probably work, but you obviously wouldnt have all the correct colors in the sizes you need. Its also not tinned marine grade wire, which would be preffered. If you want to save some money, just reuse the old one! Youve got too much time and money invested and too many other things to worry about to bother halfassing this.

Edit: Chris, he's not just talking about the stand- he's talking about the wire.

I got all of my wire from Mcmaster (slightly better pricing) but its easy to find everything you need from GenuinDealz as well. I had them make my battery cables.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2010 at 7:03pm
I think I will re-use the wires this year and tackle that next winter. They are all still connected and as they were under the dash and coiled up in a nice bundle. A few minutes cleaning them may be in order but I was not having any electrical issues before. Maybe replace the ones that go all the way to the back- Fuel tank, stern light, blower, and site window light.

I started out wanting to do everything and now I am having to step back and look at getting her seaworthy. My to do list. Not in order
1. Notch, CPES and install SB stringers and exhaust/platform wood
2. Make Bulkheads, air hoses and conduit
3. Demo and grind port side, remove water intake and replace wood
4. Dry fit Port side
5. Notch, CPES, and install Port stringers and exhaust/platform wood
6. Install battery box
7. Run new wiring
8. Run all cables
9. Install new bilge pump and wood
10. Make plywood floor
11. Install floor
12. Install Vinyl flooring
13. Decide on and order T trim, install
14. Bilgekote/order and apply
15. Fill snap holes on the deck for rear cushion and pre drill
16. Fill holes in transom where the speedo pickup was moved
17. Install front seats
18. Install Steering wheel and set up cable/ruder
19. Install and align motor, tranny, shaft, prop,
20. Put the log back together
21. Exhaust systems
22. Repair or replace speedo pick up system. New plexiglass for dash
23. Fuel system cleaned and installed.

I have probably forgotten a hundred steps, but it helps me to have a list

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 12:08am
I am going to add to and chisel away at this running list. Today I notched the SB stringers. SO now its off the list, but had to add radius to the list because I ran out of daylight. Bought a hole saw set from harbor freight that should cover all of the various bulkhead. rudder, and exhaust holes.

1. Radius, CPES and install SB stringers and exhaust/platform wood
2. Make Bulkheads, air hoses and conduit
3. Demo and grind port side, remove water intake and replace wood
4. Dry fit Port side
5. Notch, CPES, and install Port stringers and exhaust/platform wood
6. Install battery box
7. Run new wiring
8. Run all cables
9. Install new bilge pump and wood
10. Make plywood floor
11. Install floor
12. Install Vinyl flooring
13. Decide on and order T trim, install
14. Bilgekote/order and apply
15. Fill snap holes on the deck for rear cushion and pre drill
16. Fill holes in transom where the speedo pickup was moved
17. Install front seats
18. Install Steering wheel and set up cable/rudder
19. Install and align motor, tranny, shaft, prop,
20. Put the log back together
21. Exhaust systems
22. Repair or replace speedo pick up system. New plexiglass for dash
23. Fuel system cleaned and installed.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 1:52am
SB stringers are ready.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 1:55am
I did not have a hole saw set so I never checked the transom lift ring until today. I could tell before I ever got through the glass that the wood was wet from the drill bit tip.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:02am
This was the thickest glass I have seen yet. This boat has not seen water in 6 months and the wood in there was still soaked.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 12:43pm
That sucks. I got lucky on mine.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 26>
  Share Topic