NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 26>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

That sucks. I got lucky on mine.

And it looks like it would not be too much work but I put in nearly 2 hours yesterday just trying to get it out. The boat is sitting in direct sunlight so working in a tyvek suit with all the other gear on made for a miserable evening. After I get all the wood out I will basically have to grind the bilgekote and gelcoat off of the entire transom.

I am thinking about getting the lift ring plated since this will be the last time I ever take it out and it could use a little shine. I got my exhaust tips back 2 weeks ago and they look great for $50.

Hopefully if the weather is good this week I will have my SB stringers back in. I am only six weeks away from my deadline and am feeling the pressure already.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 3:33pm
Keegan,
Watch out how far you've got that pilot drill extended beyond the hole saw!! I hope you did some measuring??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 12:16am
I did not but measure, but there were two 3/4" pieces of ply laminated together underneath the thickest glass I have seen yet. The drill bit kissed the top of the piece against the transom so I had a good 3/4" left. I was more worried about going through the transom trying to remove the ply.

Maybe, just maybe these swim platform screw holes played a part in the water intrusion...

I almost got it prepped for the new lift ring assembly. You can also notice that the swim platform mount had lag screws that entered under the floor directly into the foam. Doh!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 9:00am
Keegan,
Is that a crack at the hull bottom to transom below the lifting ring mount? Better do some routing out to see how deep it goes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 12:24pm
Pete
for me it looks like its a black sharpie mark...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
Is that a crack at the hull bottom to transom below the lifting ring mount? Better do some routing out to see how deep it goes.

Luckily that is not a crack. I had missed a few spots when I ground out the rudder port and marked all the areas I needed to grind with a sharpie. Of course that was before I got sidetracked with this lift ring business. The sharpie makes it easier to see the areas after everything is covered in dust. Today I am going to make all the new transom reinforcements, and finish grinding. Then I can start putting her back together!!!!!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 12:05am
Today I finished grinding away all those sharpie marks and everything else I needed to start my reconstruction! I even got to the carwash and washed all the dust and pollen off. I will actually start rebuilding tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! The stringers have a nice thick glaze of CPES on them and are all ready to drop into place.

Here is my fun picture of the day. As you can see I have a rag tag collection of clamps- most were my grandfather's. My neighbor called it the "clamptopus". I thought that was pretty funny. The smaller one is the rudder port and the larger is the lift ring setup. I coated them with one layer of CPES before laminating and will do 1 or 2 more after I cut the holes for the hardware. I also made the exhaust and platform supports today and bought all stainless through bolt hardware for the platform.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 9:04am
Keegan,
Don't get too carried away with the CPES. The "thick glaze" statement concerns me. Keep in mind it's a sealer and not a structural adhesive. Post some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

SB stringers are ready. These have 3 coats of CPES on them. The first coat took a full cup, the second one about 6 ozs and the last one took about 4ozs. The last coat absorbed slowly letting me know they were saturated. There is no thickness to the coating they just have a glazed sort of look to them- Shiny when you look at them at an angle, but dull straight on if that makes sense. The weather is too cold and it is supposed to rain the next few days to bed my stringers. Working outdoors has really slowed me down.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:42pm
Couple more pics of my stringers in the making. Laminating the secondaries and then after 1 coat of CPES.

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 4:10pm
Keegan,

Looking good. It's amazing to see how the CPES reacts. I also laid it on pretty liberally and watched how it soaked it to let me know how well it was saturated. I would lay it on thick, then lay a little more on after it soaked in a little. Then I would let iat dry overnight and do a second coat the same way. In a way, I did 4 coats. I didn't do the second application with the cross braces, just laid it on thick and let it soak in for about 30 minutes and laid on a second coat thick, then did the other side the next day.

I hear you about the pressure. The last couple weeks have been a push for me so I am on track for putting the top on. I've been working until midnight almost every night.

You're coming along nicely. Keep it going.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:46am
I was busy this weekend.
Bedding the SB stringer using the old kitchen sink and a big concrete frog.

1973 Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:19pm
You're coming along nicely. So far looking at everyone's projects and mine, we've all come up with some pretty interesting things to weight down with.

"Everything but the kitchen sink", came to mind until I saw these pics. LOL!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 7:54pm
I have been working day by day dodging rain and schedules. Lots of evenings to come in May glassing in the new stringers. Here are a few pictures of the latest progress.

The Main stringer set and filleted.

The secondary layup set but only filleted on one side.

Lift ring set with through bolt holes for the platform.

I think I am going to remove the other side and glass everything at once. That way, by the time I get all the way back around to the starting point, it should be set and ready for another layer. I really wanted to go to White Lake this weekend but am coaching a soccer game Saturday at 12:30 which would put me there too late to do much. Plus I would like to go to my first reunion with my boat. I would not enjoy myself knowing that I was missing a weekend to work on her. It has been hot already and I am getting anxious!

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:23pm
Keegan, What's the theory behind the totally serious secondarys?

I like the radiused everything.

Love the frog and sink!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:44pm
Did you use cloth between layers of lamination, or just epoxy the wood pieces together?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:30am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Keegan, What's the theory behind the totally serious secondarys?

I like the radiused everything.

Love the frog and sink!

The secondary was not my design. I got it from Jdiggs auto cad and I am not sure if that was his creation or if it was modeled after a later model CC Skier. It allows for mufflers, not that I will ever put them in there, and it gives you a good ledge for the removable floor. I used his plans because my stringers were pudding and I had NOTHING to go from.

I did get a little excited with the router. It was my grandfather's and I have only had the occasion to use it a few times. When I got it 9 years ago I never imagined I would be using it to build a boat!

A little voodoo and the kitchen sink have gone into this project!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:37am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Did you use cloth between layers of lamination, or just epoxy the wood pieces together?

BKH

Is this one of those questions I might not want to answer? I did not use any cloth between the layers, just resin and a ton of clamps.

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:14am
Great work Keegan your on a roll now, no need to worry that much and its been said many times here, your boat will be stronger then when new.

Your a true CCF man, everything is going into the rebuild including the kitchen sink,cool hope its the wife's old one.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 8:04am
I don't know if you should or should not use cloth between the laminated layers. Just asked what you did. Trying to decide what I will do with mine.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 8:20am
I assume glass would give a stronger bond. Pete could quantify this far better. But as it is only a secondary stringer, they are not there for structural integrity only to help support the floor. There should be no problem.

With that much timber in there it would almost qualify as a woody.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 9:55am
I wouldn't say the cloth (some have used the biax) is absolutely needed between the wood laminations. You really don't need the added strength as it's there more for a cushion to fill minor irregularities. Filled resin will do it too. With a composite, then yes you need the added strength especially if you're splicing 8' end to ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:37pm
Thanks guys! I have had my fair share of trials and tribulations so far but over all am feeling pretty good about my work. I could do another boat in half the time, but I will settle for doing the other stringers in a week.

I never asked on this site about laminating. My neighbor used to build off shore boats in Florida and he was the one who told me to just use resin. It seemed to make sense because I I can't imagine you could make that sandwich much stronger. I was figuring on using filled resin but he said that once you clamp everything it will fill the voids. One thing is for sure- That is one solid secondary!

Going to coach soccer game, and with weather permitting, removing the Port stringers this afternoon. Its calling for rain though. I have just about run out of indoor boat projects. I even polished my prop and rudder.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Your a true CCF man, everything is going into the rebuild including the kitchen sink,cool hope its the wife's old one.

Roger.

That is the old kitchen sink. I had to do a few chores around the house, like remodel the kitchen, before she was going to let me "sink" a few $K into an old boat.   That thing weighs almost 100 lbs. I was going to sell it on craig's list but I found a much better use for it.

1973 Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 2:04pm
Keegan,

It's looking really good. I, too, like all the radius work and nice wood work. Your fillets look nice and smooth too. Looks like you're using mostly cabosil or something that makes the fillet mix more clear than I did. When you lay the glass you'll be glad you did all those radiused edges. :)
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 2:22am
The steering system is clean and ready to go.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 2:32am
Here is my question for the day. Around the platform brackets I have these spider cracks and need to take care of them before I wet sand, repaint the waterline and buff the hull. After I V out the cracks- would you guys suggest resin filled with 3m Glass Bubbles and tinted with liquid pigment.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 9:09am
Keegan,
I'd go with the gel repair kits that come with the pigments. Mix the pigment all at once so you have the same color but then ad the hardner in small batches so you can work on small sections at one time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
I'd go with the gel repair kits that come with the pigments. Mix the pigment all at once so you have the same color but then ad the hardner in small batches so you can work on small sections at one time.

I looked at all the small gelcoat repair kits that come with 6 different colors and 1-4 oz of a paste that you color match. They are expensive for the little amount you get and I don't need all the other colors. So, I called US composites and they recommended buying neutral gelcoat and the liquid color pigment. This is a lot cheaper and I will get a lot more product. I was under the impression that gelcoat was sprayed on but she said that this gelcoat cannot be sprayed, it is too thick. I have several places to repair so the extra product won't go to waste. Any input on going this route? Tips, tricks?

Here are the uscomposites.com items I am looking at.
AC-RD001 1oz red TINT $4.25
GEL-NU025 1qt Gelcoat $16.75
SM-SWAX02 2oz Wax sanding agent $2.25 (For final coat)

Thanks guys!

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 2:23pm
If youre sure that the red tint is all you'll need, then that should be fine. I wouldnt be surprised if you had to add some blue or black (to darken) or yellow (to lighten) in order to adjust the shade.

I also remember hearing that gel has a shelf life- maybe 1 year? Dont expect it to keep indefinitely.

To be honest, Im not sure I would bother repairing the cracks around the platform bolts... youve got new reinforcement on the back side, so they shouldnt spread. An off colored repair might look worse than the cracks! Its a pretty discreet location anyways, and adds a bit to the boats character... something to think about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 26>
  Share Topic