NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 26>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 5:50pm
That makes sense because in the picture below you can see where the battery box was moved and put under the passenger seat. Then under the carpet there was a SS metal plate bolted to the floor that covered up the front of the bilge. It was in the way of the seat mounts so they were simply not screwed into anything towards the pylon. Sighhhhhhhh! At least I know when I get finished there will not be anymore skeletons in her closet to discover. Well hopefully!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 11:26am
Keeganino,

Here is what my pylon looks like. The white round flange may be an aftermarket part. Mine also has a pin at this location which is probably a good idea. The stainless trim piece goes on top of the carpet. Clean up what you have and reinstall it.

I experienced sticker shock as well with the rubber exhaust hose. I ended up buying some 3" stainless on eBay for $10/lf. I plan on running it from the exhaust manifold through the transom in one continuous piece but you can use a 4 or 5 foot section between the manifold and tips as well. I am anxious to hear the new tone.

FrankT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:17pm
That guy only has 5 feet left and I am not sure that will be long enough to run from my manifolds to the copper pipes. Since I don;t have the engine here It is a difficult thing to measure.   That woulod be super sweet though to have stainless pipes instead of the black hose!

Anybody know off hand how long I need the exhaust hose lengths to be running from the manifolds to the coper pipes??
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:32pm
I can measure when I get home tonight.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I can measure when I get home tonight.

Thanks! I am thinking it is just over 2 feet. Stainless hose would look good coming off the manifolds.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:14am
I do no think I am going with the stainless hose. Too many uncertainties and it is not original. I have been glassing away and am about halfway through with the 8 inch layers. There are only certain times of the day I can glass because it is already so hot here. During the heat of the day I have been tending to other projects like painting the tranny. Should have painted the coupler first. It will be black to match the one on the end of the prop shaft.

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:18am
Nice!   Love that Blue!

AT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:28pm
Thanks Doc "Old Ford Blue" by Rust-o-leum. Great glassing weather today- not! 91 degrees and raining(can you say sauna?)!!! I think I will work on my bulkheads since I have not made those yet.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 6:45pm
I have made a lot of progress since my last update. The ports are finished and the SB's are 2 and 4 inched in already. I wanted to clean up the burs from the biaxial and a few high spots here and there on the 4 inch tape so I got the grinder back out. Suited up even though I did not think I was going to need to and got busy. By the time I had finished grinding that there was enough dust in the boat that I was going to have to do a very thorough cleaning before I resumed glassing so I decided to hit the lip from the old floor and see how it went at least long enough to burn up that flap disc. Well before I knew it I had completely removed the lip. Now there is about 2 inches of dust in the boat, on my car, my neighbors car and I was glad for the miracle of tyvek. SO then I decided to remove the gelcoat above the lip so I can glass the new floor in. Got most of the way finished with one side and then mangled my finger with the grinder. Merely a flesh wound but I wont be playing my guitars any time soon. 24 grit flap discs remove skin really fast.

Yesterday I got back out there and removed the rest of the gelcoat I needed to and decided since the boat was already trashed, now would be a good time to address the rotten wood under the transom deck. Laying on my back fully suited up grinding and picking away at rotten wood was not a fun afternoon. I am about halfway through with that demo, but am realizing that by the time I finish this new can of worms I will have lost another week. It had to be done though so I do not regret getting into it. MAjor PITA and I am surprised more folks have not had the same problem with all those water entry possibilities. I had to do it to have no worries.

Biaxial is some cool stuff. It feels like granite when it cures.

10x10 Eazy Up was the best $100 I have spent yet. Allows me to glass in daylight.

The mess under the transom deck. All torn up.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:22am
Will have to take pics tomorrow of my under the deck work I did today. It was a real pain but with the diamond wheel on the grinder and a chisel I manged to remove all the bad wood from under the stern deck. This is the last pile of glass dust I should have to clean up for a long time. All this came from the old floor lip and the 6" of gelcoat above it, and the under deck reinforcements.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 4:23pm
Here is the work I did up under the deck. The letters are just for reference because it is hard to visualize what this is.
A. This is the line where the back seat cushion snaps screw in. This strip was in bad shape all the way across.
B. Bilge vent
C. Sight window
D. Lift Ring

This is above

This is why I did it.

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 8:53pm
Looking good!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 8:57pm
looks good!! Bet your ready to get on the water!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:21pm
Thanks guys. I am almost finished with my cardboard templates for the floor. My floor plan is very different from the original and a little more involved. It will be super strong though being at least an inch and a half up front of the doghouse.

One thing that has worked out quite by accident is that my floor is going to sit at the same height as the original one. I knew my stringers were not quite as tall as the originals but still thought I was going to have to notch out the ply around the engine mounts. This will make it easier for me to get the motor back in.

I ordered my carpet last night. I am going with a true red to match the hull and trim on the seats. After all the discussion about putting the original vinyl floor back in I feel like I am copping out by going with carpet. Price was a major factor at this point(the vinyl would have been $250 more). I have not added up receipts yet but I am probably pushing close to $4k so far in materials and tools. The new interior and engine work alone ran $2k, then another $1500 from US Composites, and not to forget the $250 in DOuglas Fir. Buying plywood and carpet adhesive today and still have to get new hoses for everything.

I wet sanded the entire hull. It took 220 grit to remove some of the oxidation but the rest I just used 3m 600 and 1200. A friend of mine is going to repaint the waterline for me this afternoon, and then I will buff the entire thing when I am done. Waiting to sand the deck untill I am done with all the fiberglass. No matter how careful I am there is still resin all over the place on the gunnels.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 2:01pm
My floor is all cut and I am trying to finalize the battery box, air supplies, and conduit. My air supply consists of 2- 2.5 inch hoses and I cant find anything in 2.5" other than really thick walled electrical conduit. I have seen posts about this subject and cant find them. Please Help!

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 2:10pm
We got our 2.5" PVC at McMaster.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 4:27pm
Thanks Tim. One more trip to a different Home Depot yielded my precious pipes.

I have done a lot so here are some new pics.

I had to repaint the stripe before putting the platform back on so here Brian is lining it out.

Painted

Pulling the tape

Before

After

Floor is cut

Still have to make the bulkhead and battery box. I am rethinking my battery box situation. There is so little clearance I am not sure how I can put a drain in the battery box.

1973 Skier
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

My floor is all cut and I am trying to finalize the battery box, air supplies, and conduit. My air supply consists of 2- 2.5 inch hoses and I cant find anything in 2.5" other than really thick walled electrical conduit. I have seen posts about this subject and cant find them. Please Help!

I got mine from a sprinkler Irrigation supply co.
Looking good!
Monty
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 12:47pm
Thanks for the help guys. For the sake of getting her done, I went ahead and bought the thick walled stuff. Not what I wanted but I can't wait weeks for an online delivery if I am going to ever see the water.

One the problems I am working around right now is that I bought the cold weather CPES back in February for my stringers. This morning it was already 80 at 8am- too high for the cold weather formula. So I have been keeping the CPES in the fridge and apply it first thing in the morning. Seems to work well. WHat I found using the cold weather at higher temps is that the solvents evaporate quickly and leave a sticky finish. Keeping the stuff cold has eliminated that problem. It still has time to soak in before it evaporates.

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 12:44am
Keegan - You are going to have great boat when you are finished. Keep up the pace - you are on 3rd heading for home plate.

Where did you find true red carpet? I haven't found it on any of the marine carpet websites. Most of them have maroon but not red.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Keegan - You are going to have great boat when you are finished. Keep up the pace - you are on 3rd heading for home plate.

Where did you find true red carpet? I haven't found it on any of the marine carpet websites. Most of them have maroon but not red.

Thanks! I am really excited at this point. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I ordered my red carpet from Home Depot's website. It is an online exclusive item so don't bother asking at the store- they cant even order it for you. It was $145 delivered for a 6x20 foot roll. Here is the LINK

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 1:15pm
I have been working hard. There have been lots of things I have been avoiding because I was nervous or unsure about the process, so I decided to focus on those things. It is funny to me how things I have never done before scare me, but once I have done them I look back at how easy they were- well that's true in many cases. Some things are truly just a PITA. Over the last few days I tackled the bulkheads, pylon through hole, and battery box. It all went pretty well and I am feeling a lot closer to being done after knocking these items out. I am going to have just enough CPES to do the floors, but would feel better if I had an extra quart. On Thursday I am making a trip to the Northeast part of town to pick up my chrome, bilgekote, and exhaust hose(which I found locally for $12.00/ft). My seats are almost done and I cant wait to see them.

My bulkhead had separated from the floor and was letting water pour into the bow. I decided to put these 2x6's across for support but also to allow me to rout out the 2x6 so the bulkhead is recessed and sits flush with the edge. Once glassed in, its not going anywhere. I also made a front bulkhead which was not there in the original design. I am going to trade the 90 degree elbow for a 45 for the cables.

I was really nervous about placing the pylon hole. I have been thinking of ways to do it for weeks and then all of a sudden it hit me. I found this flat head that fit perfectly in the pylon base and was just a touch too tall for the floor clearance. I put the floor in place and stepped on it which left a nice line from the screwdriver. Then turned the screwdriver 90 degrees and BAM!- X marks the spot.

Perfect!

Battery box and the floor routed out so that I get a good tight fit.

Oh yeah!

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 2:34pm
Looking good Keegan! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 4:50pm
Thanks Storm! I am really getting excited. My original finish date was to be June 10th, and I am not going to make that mark but will not be more than a couple more weeks. All of the hard stuff is basically done. I don't mind glassing at all, but making the ply floor was a real chore and now that that is finished and all my supplies are either here or being picked up tomorrow, I hope I can bust it out in 2 more weeks.

I like before and after pics so here is my battery box and bulkhead before and after.

I used 3/4" ply for the floor and am thinking about making the removable hatch out of 1/2" ply so that it will lay flush. I plan to just wrap that piece in carpet and pressure fit it. Any other suggestions?

1973 Skier
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:03pm
Keegan, your flooring job looks very familiar to me. That is pretty much exactly how I did mine on my 78 martinique. Except I glassed all my plywood, it looks like are going to CPES it right?

It's a lot of work, but you will be on the water very soon now.

Tom

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Keegan, your flooring job looks very familiar to me. That is pretty much exactly how I did mine on my 78 martinique. Except I glassed all my plywood, it looks like are going to CPES it right?
Tom

Tom,
It looks like you missed it or haven't been folowing Keegans rebuild. We've got him covered! He's doing the job correctly using CPES and then epoxy. No polyester half assing!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 7:20pm
Hey, it's more original with polyester resin than epoxy.
It appears that CCF was not around in 2002 when I redid my boat, or I would have used epoxy.

That epoxy (US composites)was simple to use when making my 200g in wall saltwater reef tank last spring. Way easier than using polyester resin.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 7:56pm

It appears that CCF was not around in 2002 when I redid my boat, or I would have used epoxy.

But the Gougeon boys have been around selling the stuff since the mid 70's!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 8:33pm
Maybe, but unless you are in the biz, you would never know of that.

8 years later and it's 100% solid still.

I'm taking the martinique out tomorrow. I need some pics of the interior on my digi cam.

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 8:48pm

It's a lot of work, but you will be on the water very soon now.

Tom

Pete is right I did my homework, and probably over-thought everything but the end result should be a boat that lasts forever, at least on my time-line! I have CPESed every piece of wood involved and am still glassing the floor top and bottom. I am only doing one layer of cloth on the bottoms, and layering cloth and mat on top. I think I am going to fillet the ply to the walls and use 12" biaxial there to stiffen the walls. I have matching spider cracks on both sides of the boat where the anchor has been bounced of the wall in the rear corners and I dont want anymore.

I can't wait to be on the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am working at a fever pitch right now.

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 26>
  Share Topic