NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 26>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 6:39pm
I am a little further along than this now but it started raining again. Here is what my battery box looks like.

And installed

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 7:20pm
looking good...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:03pm
Keegan,

Check out my stringer rebuild project. I got the trash hose off ebay. 15' for $37. That stuff will last longer than the boat will I bet.
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:06pm
I ran an extra set of string or rope in my conduit tube for future projects and/or repairs. Just makes pulling wires easier.

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 4:16am
All of my wiring and cables bilge pump line, etc are all run. Set my pylon today. Getting close!

Pylon bottom before

After

Installed
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 2:15pm
Here is the chrome side emblem I picked up and am looking to trade for a ring and finger top for my pylon.

This is where I am on the boat. The floor is bedded and filleted. ready to glass the floor. I keep pushing back my launch date but I really hope to be ready for the engine Friday.

1973 Skier
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 2:23pm
Hmm, I see you're going with an electric engine. You going to rig it up like a jet boat or are you going to use that to turn your prop?   
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Hmm, I see you're going with an electric engine. You going to rig it up like a jet boat or are you going to use that to turn your prop?   

That does look pretty funny and might actually pull a mouse or chihuaha. But I think I will put the 302 back in there.

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 9:03pm
Keegan,   Looking good.   Congrats on the new engine!

I have one just exactly like yours, only mine really sucks.

AT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:12pm
Thanks Doc!

Is there any reason not to paint the entire inside with bilgekote? I ended up getting a gallon for $30 and really don't need another half gallon of paint hanging around the house so I was thinking about painting the bilge, floor and walls.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 12:39am
The first coat of bilgekote

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 4:26pm
Looking really good. Almost done!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 4:34pm
Thanks! Just a few details to wrap up. One of my rudder bolts was bent really badly so I must have tossed it and I have not been able to find one locally, and have an appointment to get the engine put back in on Monday. Still have some places to check but I wish now that I had kept it. I would like to have the steering and all through hulls all set up before the install. I have everything but that one stinking bolt!

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 5:45pm
Keegan,
A hardware or home center should have a decent selection of flat head stainless bolts. If not in your area, strut bolts. They just call them "strut" bolts but you can look for the proper size for the rudder port. Click on "product info" for the sizes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 6:03pm
I got all of that worked out with the old hardware. I had to chase the threads a bit. Here are some pictures from this morning before I dropped her off to have the engine put in and aligned.

Thanks Pete for the prop install lesson. I will be doing that here in a few days.

The transom is the only part of the hull buffed out yet since I had to do that before attaching the platform.

All of the plumbing in place. If you look at earlier pictures you will see that I had to cut out the rear cross member where it went over the exhaust channel. There was no way to get the copper pipe down in there with it in the way. Skill saw and 2 minutes later, no problem.

Steering is back in and was not as hard to line up as I had thought it might be. Cleaned up the helm a little bit.

Almost home! I even put in the zip ties for the mechanic. I borrowed Wakeslayer's bilge blower idea. I think it will work a lot better this way- not that I have ever blown up from fume accumulation.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 2:29pm
So I had an appointment for Thursday morning at 10am to have the motor put back in and aligned. Well guess where it is... right where I left it in their parking lot. I am not too happy about that after pulling three 12 hour days in the upper 90's heat to finish it up last week. So I was bored naturally and did what I could.

Here is the doghouse. I sanded out all the major scratches with 220 then worked my way up to 1200 and then buffed it and applied 2 coats of wax. I wish I would have taken a before picture but the difference is amazing.

I got the idea from Mike to make a medallion out of the original stringer wood to fit in the obsolete site window. I thought that was a cool way to show off the beautiful Douglas Fir that all gets covered up. Mine is a little different. I am experimenting with different ways to put the CC logo and 1973 Skier onto the piece of wood. Any suggestions? One idea I have is to use an iron on transfer and adhere that to thin fiberglass cloth and then put it on there. Have yet to try it but will soon.

My hole saw only goes an inch deep so I went as deep as I could then I used a jigsaw with the blade out at an angle to cut the last half inch as seen on the left. Then I shaped it with a grinder and then by hand. Sanded down to a mirror finish and coated it with CPES. It turned out better than I had imagined so I cut about 5 of these plugs out of the main stringer that was in the best condition.

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 3:20pm
Keeganino, I might have something for ya.

Switch name plates. Not perfect, but possibly slightly better condition.

AT
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 5:34pm
Found 4 new ones.

"Running Lights"
"Bilge Pump"
"Blower"
" Off "

AT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 6:50pm
That would be cool what are you trying to get for them?

1973 Skier
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:26am
You have put a lot of hardwork in that boat. Lookin sweet!

Waldo
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 12:53pm
Keegan,   PM sent.

AT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Keegan,   PM sent.

AT

Still trying to figure out what this means

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:21pm
New feature, Personal Message, I've never used it before either.
Maybe click on your own profile.

AT
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:21pm
I dont believe the PM feature is functioning. Better use email.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:24pm
Thanks!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:26pm
keeganino76@hotmail.com- thanks Doc!

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:27pm
Ok Keegan yours is Private, send me one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:29pm
I just tried it and got a runtime error. my email is above

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:31pm
Basic jist of original PM
Send me self addr. stamped envelope. I send you 4 tiny little black and white plastic plates with different words and two holes in each.

AT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 2:35pm
WOw! Thanks Doc! Email me your address and I will get that out to you

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 26>
  Share Topic