NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 8:20pm
Looks really nice Keegan. I bet it is really a treat being on the water with her and with the family. Bummer on the ring.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 9:01pm
Let's see, forgetting to put the plug in the boat and sinking in 12 foot of water?-- or Wedding band flying off in 12 feet of water!?

Bye!Bye! RING!   
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 12:45am
I know some people are not going to like what I did but I love it.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 11:32pm
Keegan - Looks awesome, who cares what these guys think anyway!!

It's what you like that counts.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:08am
Thanks I am looking forward to a long weekend on the lake with everything dialed in! Jordan Lake in North Carolina come on out to Ebenezer area I have rented a shelter there as base camp if anybody wants to come out.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 11:00am
i think that looks great, Keegan. Cool little personal touch. I like it a lot.
I got an extra logo from BJ when I ordered my Mrs. Wakeslayer's shifter. I put it under the sight glass for the gas tank to cover the hole.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 11:27am
Keegan,

I see you put that old twisted ring and broken finger on that I gave you. Have you had a chance to try to work on it yet? Were you able to improve it any? It looks like you have not put the roll pins in yet because it is turned at a different angle.

I sure love my new old one. It has a complete finger and it sure does make it easier to hook a ski rope to it.

Curious,

Donald
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I know some people are not going to like what I did but I love it.

Is that where my starboard emblem went?

Going to have to find me one of those, every time someone pulls up to my starboard side they ask if it's a Chris Craft. Guess that's not really a bad thing.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Keegan,

I see you put that old twisted ring and broken finger on that I gave you. Have you had a chance to try to work on it yet? Were you able to improve it any? It looks like you have not put the roll pins in yet because it is turned at a different angle.

I sure love my new old one. It has a complete finger and it sure does make it easier to hook a ski rope to it.

Curious,

Donald

I have not tried worked on it at all. I have not put in the pins because my pylon and the shaft of the ring have different hole patterns. I have been so preoccupied getting the seats in and all the other details. My plan is to take it to a machine shop and get them to make me a new finger and drill new holes so it sits all the way down in the pylon. It looks like the real thing from a distance so in that regard it is doing its job.

Mike- Thank you I was kind of nervous going ahead with the emblem but I have no regrets over it at the moment. That is the only place it says CC inside the boat other than on my Coast guard plate by the controller.

Vondy
I was trying to sell or trade the emblem but got this idea and decided to run with it. I got it cheap from the metal plater I used on my tailpipes and lift rings.

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Vondy
I was trying to sell or trade the emblem but got this idea and decided to run with it. I got it cheap from the metal plater I used on my tailpipes and lift rings.

There's two on ebay right now. Already up to $152 and 2 days left.

I'm still not sure what happened to mine. Either it fell off to the bottom of the lake or it was stolen.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Either it fell off to the bottom of the lake or it was stolen.

Either way that sux! My port emblem is broken and just says rectcra. That sounds like a crazy rectal disease, maybe I should take that off

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:34am
We had a great 3 days on the water. Here are some final pics.

And that pretty much wraps up this thread! A million thanks to the Correct Craft Fan community for all of the support, knowledge and friendship.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:38am
Wow, Looks great. Nice Work.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:44am

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:46am

1973 Skier
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:46am
That does look nice.

"rectcra", hell, it Killed him! LOL

I put a few hours on my 78 this weekend too. Good times in a quality boat, especially one that's been redone by yourself. Priceless.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:48am

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:50am
Oh no!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:50am
Houston, we have tubers! LOL
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:53am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Houston, we have tubers! LOL

It was so rough out there that was all you were going to ride that particular afternoon. We'll get them all grown up eventually. Lets face it the kids love it, but you wont catch me on it.

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 1:14am
OK, Keegan. Take a pic of the 'red' stripe vents and let everyone decide whether or not to do the rear scoops
That front vent looks awesome, like I said, especially with the 'red' pipping on the seats

I say go for it!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 2:08am
I think he should do a bow stripe! Not sure what years they did them, I think reid's got a few with them.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 2:14am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

OK, Keegan. Take a pic of the 'red' stripe vents and let everyone decide whether or not to do the rear scoops
That front vent looks awesome, like I said, especially with the 'red' pipping on the seats

I say go for it!

Here it is

1973 Skier
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 2:29am
I say we need more Cow bell! I mean red stripe!

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 11:46pm
Keegan,

Looking good. I'd be lieing to you if I told you that I liked the length and size of my boat all the time. I am 5'7" and have two small kids but I keep thinking one day somebody will just have to buy or swap a huge 20'+ rig for mine. You get two adults, two kids and the gear in mine and I feel like I am going to sink. I would swap my boat for the featured boat in a heartbeat.....LOL, like that would ever happen!

I think I am done for the year on the water. Got a lot of other committments and just can't work in a day on the boat before we go to Disney World in October(I can't wait . My entire restoration cost will be matched in six days in Orlando. Oh well, at least I get to visit Woody at Mastercraft of Orlando and pick his old boat supplies .

Scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:34am
Scott - If you go to Orlando, check out the CC factory. It is a great tour. You probably will meet Ralph too - he is cool.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Scott - If you go to Orlando, check out the CC factory. It is a great tour. You probably will meet Ralph too - he is cool.

Thanks but I beat you to it. I took a tour back in 1991 but don't remember much. May go again but will have to find the time. Maybe I will take a photo album of my boat and show it to the sales department or "Ralph" and they will swap me some old beat up 2009 model for mine......
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 6:20pm
As winter approaches I have several projects in mind that I never got around to because I was ready to ride. The first one is to fix up my windshield. I wanted to clean underneath it and also buff the dash while it is out of the way. It was also vibrating and needed to be tightened up. I have some questions I hope you guys can help with.

First we have the end fasteners. These do not look original to me. The first clue is that the L bracket is stainless, but the lag that screws into the deck is not. Secondly notice the notch that appears to be hand cut into the rubber gasket at the bottom. WHat should this look like?
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_images/post_button_image.gif

Second look here of the bracket. Are the eye hooks available anywhere? Mine are pretty rusted below deck.

This is the big obstacle, and I need advise here. We were nearly run completely run over by a pontoon boat 3 years ago on the 4th at Badin Lake during the fireworks. The skylon bow strap literally saved our lives, but this occurred along with some gel damage. Is it repairable? I am most worried about the rivets that hold the glasstic to the frame.

A closer look at the cutout in the gasket and one of the rivets. The rivets do not go through the front of the frame. Any ideas?

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 6:05pm
My big hurdle to moving forward with this are the rivets. They do not go through the front of the aluminum frame. I was looking at rivet guns today at Harbor freight and saw there was one made for rivets that go in through one side but not out the other. Rivet Gun Will this work to put the glass back in the frame? How do I remove the old rivets? If I can take the glass out of the frame I think this will be an easy fix, but I have never used a rivet gun and don't want to cause damage I cannot fix.

One of the rivets

1973 Skier
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 6:22pm
Those are pop rivets. You typically drill them out using a bit sized the same size as the outer diameter of the rivet shank. I usually start small and drill increasing size until I get the one the drills out the whole thing.

The rivet gun looks like this;

pop rivet gun

pop rivets;

pop rivets

The gun pulls the head of the thing that looks like a finishing nail through the shank mushrooming it on the backside of your workpiece holding everything together. When it's mushroomed as much as it can, the nail part of the rivet will pop off, hence the name.

Oh it's fun drilling them out because they usually start spinning with the drill.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526>
  Share Topic