NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23242526>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 6:50pm
Thanks Mark. I got it all apart and now I have to think of a way to bend the aluminum frame back into position. Going to polish the glass and the aluminum and put it back together.

Next I want to take the exhaust manifolds off and paint them back to the original green. The gaskets were new this summer. Is there a chance I can reuse the same gaskets or will I have to replace them?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 1:16am
Well, I was about to say that if the gaskets didn't leak and come off in one piece, blah blah blah, but those manifolds are no fun to remove and install. Bite the bullet and do it right the first time, so you won't have to chase down an annoying ticking noise and do it all again while you should be teaching those kids to ski so you can sell that tube to someone with a Mastercraft. My "lightly used" gaskets went in the trash can after contemplating the same scenario.... including trying to get my kids out of the tube and into some skis! Man, is it spring yet?
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 8:00am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I think he should do a bow stripe! Not sure what years they did them, I think reid's got a few with them.

Reid's 72 skier, I like the look, not to sure on the "original factor" though...

-Adam

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I think he should do a bow stripe! Not sure what years they did them, I think reid's got a few with them.

Reid's 72 skier, I like the look, not to sure on the "original factor" though...

The windshield isnt original, but I bet the bow stripe is. Its shown as an option in the '73 brochure, Ive seen '72's with them as well. I dont like them as much with the round plexi windshields, but thats just me.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 12:42pm
Reid's Skier is a freaking awesome boat. Got to drive it at SJRR last year. love that boat.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 6:21pm
David
After wrestling the manifolds off today there is no way I want to do that again any time soon, so I will definitely get new gaskets! I tweeked my neck wrangling those bastards off the hoses.

It's funny I got the tube to pull my nephews around on and it only got used once. My stepson was over it and started kneeboarding by the end of the season. Have a wakeboard on the way for him right now for Christmas thanks to Mike S and CCF.com. You can bet we will start riding early this year. End of February is when it gets tempting round here usually.

Reid's windshield is a replacement and Mike is right- Awesome boat! The HM engine is tops! Not trying to replace anything other than maybe the fasteners. I love the curved windshield. To me that is the aesthetic feature that sets it apart from the newer rides. Reminds me of the Jetsons.   Marty talked me into putting a red stripe on my hood scoop. At first I was hesitant but it has grown on me and I am going to keep it.

I would still like to see a picture of the end fasteners on an original windshield. Adam what's on yours? I can live with what I've got but would rather do it once, and do it right.

Thanks as always for the help guys!

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

First we have the end fasteners. These do not look original to me. The first clue is that the L bracket is stainless, but the lag that screws into the deck is not. Secondly notice the notch that appears to be hand cut into the rubber gasket at the bottom. WHat should this look like?

Mines got the hand cut notch in the rubber gasket as well, I thought that it might have shrunk over the years, but maybe it's for drainage or something. Looks like you're missing a piece, pretty sure this is original windsheild, it has the Water Bonnett stamp melted into it

-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 6:50am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

OK, Keegan. Take a pic of the 'red' stripe vents and let everyone decide whether or not to do the rear scoops
That front vent looks awesome, like I said, especially with the 'red' pipping on the seats

I say go for it!

Paint the front and rear scoops red, it would look great with your color scheme...

-Adam

1973 Skier
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 11:39am
Love the pic above, great colors!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 1:04pm
Keegan, it looks like your missing the end caps of your windshield,like the ones Adam has.I am too but mine are different. Here is how I have planned on how to stop the lower gasket from creeping away from edge-

I placed the mounting screw right thru the rubber and when I get the ends I will trim the seal around them.Maybe you can do something similar.

Here's a picture of Marshall's,which has the same ends that I need, and the gasket is doing the samething

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 2:15pm
Thanks you for the pics fellas! Now I know what to look for. I bet the end caps are hard to find. If anybody comes across a source let me know.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2010 at 1:20pm
Keegan,

Marty had some old end caps for sale a few months ago. Be purchased three sets and only needed one. I am not sure if they will work for your application or not.

Donald
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2010 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

I say go for it!

Paint the front and rear scoops red, it would look great with your color scheme...

[/QUOTE]

Whats up with the dash? Ski - Nautique? Never noticed that before.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Keegan,

Marty had some old end caps for sale a few months ago. Be purchased three sets and only needed one. I am not sure if they will work for your application or not.

Donald

The ones Marty has are the old ones with vent windows,but you know Marty,if anyone can find them ,it will be him!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2010 at 9:49pm
I know that's right Gary! Marty is meticulous in his quest for hard to find parts. He may have a line on a complete windshield that has all the parts.

Stripped all the black paint off the manis and got some painting done today. Back to original green.

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 3:28am
Lookin good man!

I agree with the above....all red scoops would be sick
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 11:44am
Keegan, Before you go to reinstall those manifolds get 2 bolts about 3" long, cut the heads off and screw them into the 2 manifold bolt holes on the head(one front and one rear.) Use them as guides to slide the new gaskets and manifold into place, much easier especially if you're by yourself than trying to handle a 50 lb hunk of cast iron and wrestle the bolts into place. I also use these when removing a set of mainfolds to support the weight until all bolts are off.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 2:20pm
Chris I thought about painting the scoops. Still have not ruled it out.

Alan thanks for the tip on putting the manis back on. I have been thinking about how I am going to do that by myself. That sucker is heavy and to hold the gasket in place...   Problem solved!

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 2:47pm
I used a block of wood to hold up the manifold. That got it pretty close to where it needed to be and then I could wrestle them back into place from there. Made it much easier.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 12:27am
It was a year ago yesterday that I began my Skier restoration thread. My buddy ,the PO, used this site a lot and turned me on to it before I bought the boat from him. I used the site searching for a CC to buy and it just worked out that I bought the Skier from him in early October. She ran great as usual but had obvious cosmetic issues that I thought I would take care of over the winter. I winterized Thanksgiving weekend and began poking around in December. In January I pulled seats, carpet, and removable floor. The stringers appeared to be rotten but felt solid due to the fact that they were frozen! Once they thawed they were stringer pudding.

What a journey, and I could not have done it without you guys. The Correct Craft Fan community is like no other. I look forward to warmer weather, meeting new friends, and my first full season as a CC owner.

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I started the topic plastic windshield and got so much help and I am sure that I will have the shiniest windshield on the block, but I am now the proud owner of a project boat. How bout these floors? Cry Cry Cry! A couple of hours work yesterday revealed what I did not want to see. The main stringers seem ok but based on everything I have read on here, there is no way they are dry. But I am still in denial... they are fine right? Not sure what to do since I do not have a garage or shop to work in. Should I start grinding out what I know is wet and rotten? The secondary starboard stringer was actually frozen yesterday when I was pulling chunks of it out. Is there such thing as a stringer repair job or is it all or nothing on the floor? Is there something I can do to get by a couple more seasons till I can get a shop to do it right or will that ruin the boat completely? It's all fun and games till your floors a rotted out!

[/QUOTE]

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 1:36am
I'll bet with the weather your having that your glad you didn't decide to wait a year. I hope to see you at the river run and check out your ride.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 10:52am
Keegan,
Congrats again. After seeing the boat in person at Reid's in September, it was obvious you put a lot of quality effort into the rebuild. It's an awesome boat and I admire your skills and dedication to putting it back together the right way. Hope to see it again at White Lake
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 4:17pm
Not sure if the "red Baron" as Reid called it will be at SJRR but will probably be at White Lake. Not coaching my son's soccer team this year so I will have weekends free for a change.

Thanks again guys!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:06pm
There is always something that can be done so I have been busy. Got the manifolds painted green and back on. I was reading about somebody that polished their rub rail so I decided to have a go at that. There is a spot on the bow where water flows in under the rail so I wanted to 5200 around it anyway. Will be doing some sanding and buffing on the dash and figured I can do the same under the rail to give it a fresh clean look.

As I was taking the rub rail off I am thinking I dont want to do this again so I better tackle some gel repairs while its off. (See how this stuff snowballs) Good thing I already have this in mind because while trying to drill out a stripped screw this happens.

Then to make it all better my new board shows up and this happened to it on the way. Its Just One of Those Days

1973 Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:22pm
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:54pm
On a better note..

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 8:37pm
Bright and colorful.
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 12:39am
Paint some pink spirals on your pulleys to complete the Willy Wonka Engine Package. I think that was a 1969 only option, though, so it's not correct for your model. Seriously though, I like a colorful engine, and mister...THAT is a colorful engine!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 2:48pm
As I continue on my quest to fully restore this boat I have often looked at the rub rails as a tell tale of the age and abuse it has taken over the years. They are really scratched up and there are more than a few major gauges. So far I have pulled them off, wet sanded the scum line where the metal meets the glass and, removed the old silicone caulk from between the deck and hull, and started grinding away on the rails. I started grinding the rails with an 80 grit flap disc on a bench grinder and now I have gone over them with 120 grit on an orbital sander. I have a long way to go before buffing, but I hope the end result will be worth it. Meanwhile I have several gelcoat repairs to make on the deck. I have been reading up on gelcoat repairs here and am as ready as I am going to be I suppose. Nervous about matching the color since it will be so visible topside.

Scum line and old silicone caulk

much cleaner after wetsanding with just 1200 grit

I think its going to take more than one tube of 5200 to fill this all the way around but we'll see

1973 Skier
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 3:15pm
Keegan,
Looking for a history lesson here. The manifolds were green like that form the factory? and the block blue? Just curious. Also, the tag says Waukesha and then something like by Pleasurecraft Marine. Was that like a special edition PCM? Kind of like Holmon Moody? Or does the Waukesha even have any significance?

By the way, did I read somewhere that you're a teacher? My wife's a 5th grade teacher and I'm trying to boost her enthusiasm about White Lake by promoting it as Educator Friendly...Hee Hee
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23242526>
  Share Topic