NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 242526
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 3:34pm
Steve
I am a web designer but I have 3 kids so its kind of like running a school . Waukesha makes all kinds of crazy engines. Today they only do huge industrial motors. I believe Waukesha Pleasure Craft Marine Division was the part of the company that marinised engines. Its still a Ford block. The block was a darker almost navy blue and the manifolds were green. The mechanic who painted it did not consult with me at all about the colors and painted the manifolds matt black and the engine the lighter "Old Ford Blue". The original green was already showing through the black so I was really unhappy with that and decided to take it back to original. I would love to find a picture of the Waukesha decals that were on the manifolds. They are funky ugly rainbow 70's colors and will fit perfectly with the funky paint job I have going on if I can ever find a pic so we can get them made.

Just promote White Lake as family friendly sounds like there will be enough kids there to keep each other busy.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Just promote White Lake as family friendly sounds like there will be enough kids there to keep each other busy.

I think you're right with the kids. By the way, the white lake motel and campground has a really good swimming area...sandy, clear water of course. The kids should really have a good time.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 11:27pm
Worked on the rub rails a little bit. I used an 80 grit flap disc on my bench grinder to remove the major scratches and dings. I got really good at leaving a nice uniform surface by the last 12 foot section. It took a lot of control to hold those 12 foot pieces parallel to the grinding surface as you move across the surface. A little bit off parallel and you gouge it in a hurry.

Then I moved to 220 grit on palm sander to remove all the 80 grit texture. After that wet sand 500, 800, 1000, 1200 and then hit it with the buffing wheel. To finish it off I hit it with the buffing wheel.

I ran through the process on the smallest piece of rail first to make sure that it worked and the result is satisfactory for the amount of labor. When I polished that first spot with the buffing wheel I smiled ear to ear. Amazing mirror like finish. Then I think I applied a bit of white buffing compound to the surface of my wheel and could not get that same shine anywhere else. I am guessing that the compound is too aggressive and that all I need is the wheel itself. Will have to get another buffing wheel and play around. I have a red and a white buffing compound but cannot remember which one is more aggressive. Any tips are appreciated. I have 2 more 12 footers that are at the 800 wet sand phase and none of it is truly buffed out yet. The rest of it is ready for the buffer.

220 grit

500 grit

To the right of the flash spot on the bend is where I buffed it. Does not do justice at all to how good that one spot looks but I need to get the rest of it to look like that one spot.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 11:45pm
Keegan,this might help out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 12:32am
WOW

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 10:52pm
Thanks for the link Gary. Had a couple of hours to go at it today. I used the tripoli compound first and then the white aluminum oxide to polish it up. I also got a bigger buffing wheel so I have more room to play. My grinder is only a half HP which is pretty week for buffing. Cant lean on it so it is slow going.

Here is another picture that just does not do justice to the shine but you can see the contrast.

1973 Skier
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 4:30pm
Hey Keegan,
I got the link to Home Depot for the carpet, but I didn't see what you used for glue. I've used 3M spray adhesive with good luck in the past, but I'm not sure about in a boat. What did you use, and would you recommend it? Also, how obvious are the seams with that carpet? I'm thinking about different ways to go about this carpet thing, and the seam is an important factor.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 4:40pm
I did not have any seams on the floor so that is great. I do have one seam on the driver side and it is visible but not bad. I did the walls first and then the floor but I think doing it the other way around will hide the floor to wall seam better than the way I did it. I will look and see if I still have the glue can. I honestly cant remember what I used but it was whatever they had for the outdoor carpet that you apply with a ridged trowel. Its messy and easy to get on the new carpet. 3m spray might be a cleaner easier way. I have read on this site several people have used it with good results.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 11:33pm
It has been a busy busy spring with lots going on. This weekend I buckled down and got busy finishing up all the little things I had going on with the boat. Gelcoat repair was at the top of the list so I could get the rubrails back on. After repairing several spots on the deck I decided wetsanding the entire thing, then buffing would help even it out a bit. Another case of one thing leads to another... The most challenging spot was where a PO had butchered a gnarly 2", not round, hole in the dash to accomodate a rubber antenna for the stereo they put right below it.
Stuff I did:
Gelcoat repairs
Wetsanded and buffed the top
Polished and reinstalled Rubrails(all screws set in 5200)
Removed silicone that sealed the cap from the hull- replaced it with 5200
Speedo mount, tubing, pick up
Installed horn system
New step pads (thanks Frank!)
Fixed windshield trim, polished it, buffed windshield, reinstalled
Waiting for the circulation pump to get here on Wednesday so hopefully I can get in a water test before White Lake.

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 1:23am
Looking good Kegan,I hope to see it someday.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 1:25pm
Looks great Keegan! Take lots of pictures this weekend!
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 3:48pm
Just catching up on all the new work this year...looks great!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 6:43am
Nice work Keegan. Hope you can enjoy her soon.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Nice work Keegan. Hope you can enjoy her soon.

We were at White Lake having a great time! Hope the weather holds out for this weekend too. Pics below by Iaughtnaught

1973 Skier
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 10:49pm
Awesome restoration. I am always impressed when someone actually finishes a project of this magnitude. Great job. Can you clarify the engine blue vs. black for me? I have a 86 2001 model that needs some detail work.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Awesome restoration. I am always impressed when someone actually finishes a project of this magnitude. Great job. Can you clarify the engine blue vs. black for me? I have a 86 2001 model that needs some detail work.

Thanks, not sure if I will ever truly finish, but she is on the water! No real meaning in the black and blue. Its not original to the true colors of the engine but I have come to really like it. Originally this engine was done in Waukesha blue and the exhaust manifolds were green. The black is custom and the shade of blue on mine is much lighter than the, almost navy blue, waukesha blue. The green is pretty close but not exact either. Makes me smile when I lift up the box so I am a happy guy!

1973 Skier
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 11:48pm
Well it looks great that's for sure. My engine looks like it is rattle can silver so no telling what it was originally. But it does run well so I figure it deserves a decent coat of paint. How has the VHT engine paint help up? Did you prime before using it or just paint only? That Youtube video of your start up was priceless by the way. What a sound.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 12:23pm
just giving this thread a bump.starting my resto and this thread has alot of great info and links on the first page to others.thanks to all for sharing
caliwakeboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliwakeboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:41pm
What thickness wood did you use for the decking
nautiques forever
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by caliwakeboard caliwakeboard wrote:

I would encourage you to read the whole thread (this one and others) from beginning to end... you'll probably find the answer to your question and about 10 others you hadnt thought to ask.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by caliwakeboard caliwakeboard wrote:

I would encourage you to read the whole thread (this one and others) from beginning to end... you'll probably find the answer to your question and about 10 others you hadnt thought to ask.

As well as links to many other threads on stinger jobs.

Sorry, but I still haven't found the time to do the searching for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:38pm
My thread! Somebody blew the dust and cob webs off of it! I miss the restoration. One day I am going to do another one. Just as soon as I can get a shop to do it in.

I used 3/4" ply for the decking and doubled up from the front of the motorbox to the bow. She is solid!

1973 Skier
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:06pm
Looks awesome !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 242526
  Share Topic