Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement
    Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:04am
Good morning. My name is Scott and I am 49 years old and would you believe this is the FIRST time I have ever posted anything anywhere!! No facebook, twitter, ect...... I know, I am behind the times but I seem to get by. Old school like my boat I guess!!

Let me explain my situation. I have not read any posts on this website related to my subject and decided to just post this and read later. I was replacing the wood beneath the seats and was making great progress until I ran into what seems to be a common problem with boats this old. The smaller stringers that run the length of the boat are rotten in some places and perfect in others. The stringers that support the engine are in great shape. The small stringers are approximately 1" X 4" or 5". All of the stringers behind the engine bordering the bilge area are rotten and I have taken them out. The other stringers are rotten in some places and beautiful in others.

Should I patch the areas that are rotten or just go ahead and replace them all so I will never have to do it again?(I have owned the boat for 21yrs) Should I keep the boat original and use epoxy treated wood or go with a synthetic material? I ran across a great idea on YOutube from a Shipshape TV episode where he used a product called Preforms(www.Preforms.com) which are prefabricated stringers that will never rot and are easy to install. Also, where do I buy replacement foam to fill in the voids I am fixing to cut out?

I guess I am asking for any help anyone can give me. Trying to get the boat ready by May for my son to start skiing. You can view my boat and details about it on this website under 1975 Correct Craft Skiier in Alabama. Email me anytime at sdbranum@knology.net but this email is fixing to change any day so I will have to update my profile. Thanks

Scott
Huntsville, AL

I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:21am
Welcome to CCFan Scott.

As long as you are in there, and you are up to the task, you should just completely replace them. In the end it is far better, and actually easier to do than repairing. I am a wood and no foam guy. You should start reading some of the current threads in the maintenance section. Search out the Pumpkin Patch thread, Bills Boatworks, Akabullas thread, Okie Boarders, there are lots of them that will give you good guidance.
I am on my second project at the moment and have acquired all my knowledge through this site alone. Plan on $2000, 200 hours, and if you imbibe, 20 cases to get through the job. It is a labor of love with our Correct Crafts. Love them and they love you back.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:29am
imbibe? thats a new one, now i can trick the wife again
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:40am
Scott,
Don't try a patched up/scabbed job. When you get into removing all the wood, you will find lots more rot. Do it all.

Read everything you can here on site on the stringer replacement. Composite or wood is your choice but I would trust the composite job threads here more than something you saw on youtube.

Welcome and now that you're getting used to the computer posting, we need some pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 1:18pm
I am a real dummy when it comes to finding pictures on my computer and posting them but if you can give me the first few steps, I will go from there. You can see the boat under the "diaries" section under the 1975 year and Skiier model for alabama. Thanks.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 1:32pm
Scott - It's pretty easy. 1st resize the photo on your desktop - use windows pictur manager & resize as document or email size.

Then just use the upload button in the post menu.

If you load multiple pictures, press enter in between each so they line up vertically.

Good luck, I am computer challenged too but am luck to have a tech savy teenager to help.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 1:45pm
Scott,
I found your diary and took a look. Great looking boat! Have you checked the engine/prop shaft/strut alignment?

The pictures we'd now like to see are some of the stringers. The boat being a 75 means it is due for a job no matter how it was taken care of through the years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 2:29pm
I have to completely agree with Pete, my 73 skier seemed solid and just fine until I pulled up the carpet and removable ply floor in the back. You have the right group behind you to go all the way with her!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 2:38pm
What a trip. I have an uncle named Scott who lives in Huntsville, AL on top of Montesano Mtn and has the same @knology.net suffix on his email...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 3:11pm
The good news is the two main stringers that the engine is mounted to that supports the front and rear decking is in perfect shape as far as I can tell. I had someone suggest that I go ahead with replacing the two sets of smaller stringers with pressure treated wood making sure I find some with a real tight grain pattern and orient it the proper way to make it the strongest.

Does anyone know if the smaller stringers are glassed in or are they just sitting beneath the floor and in between the areas filled with foam? I guess I will find out when I start tearing it out.

Pictures coming maybe this afternoon.

Thanks everyone.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 4:07pm
You cant use pressure treated wood. Fiberglass does not bond to it because of the chemicals used. They are glassed to the hull but not always wrapped over the top. There are a few checks to determine the condition of the main stringers. The easiest is to check the lag bolts holding the engine mounts. If you can back them out a quarter turn and then tighten them back down you are good. If they will not hold torque they are done. Half of mine spun in place when I tried to tighten them back down.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 5:29pm
Scott,
You don't seem to get the idea that your mains have got rot in them someplace as well. Do you really want to tear up the floor, remove the foam, just put in secondaries, put the floor/carpet back in and then later need to do the primaries??

Whoever told you to use pressure treated is not the proper person to give you advice. Dump him!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 7:20pm
I am glad to know about the possibility that pressure treated wood will not adhere to epoxy resin. I had a piece already cut out for the seat area so I may have to use another type. Thanks.

As far as the main beams go, I have banged on them with a hammer and looked them over real good and I just don't know if I want to go through all that work including removing the engine just in case. I could remove the fiberglass that is on them and see and then reglass both of them all the way down but I don't think I can remove them in this lifetime. I only use the boat about 20 hours/summer and only average 12 hours/summer since I bought it back in 1990.

I just finished removing one side of the secondaries and boy was I glad I did. It had a ton of rot in them that I did not see(like you say could happen in the primaries). I used a sharp pickax and just cut them out and removed all the foam. Now I am going back outside to attempt the other side.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 7:25pm
Why would I need to check the engine/prop shaft/strut alignment?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Why would I need to check the engine/prop shaft/strut alignment?

Besides it being a suggested yearly maintenance item, it's a good way to keep a eye on stringer failure. If it's out, it can damage your trans.

Have you ever done it or had someone do it for you in the 21 years?.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:10pm
No, sorry to say but I was not aware I needed to. I have the original owners manual so I will see what it says in there about it. Thanks.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:33pm
Tried to resize a picture and not having much luck downloading it in the proper format. I will keep trying. Please excuse my ignorance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:45pm

No, sorry to say but I was not aware I needed to. I have the original owners manual so I will see what it says in there about it. Thanks.

No name,
You can look in the manual and it may have something about alignment in it but here's a thread that's even better. Eric's alingment thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 1:45am
I am going to humbly hang my head in the corner over here. If you are already under the floor, replace all the stingers. In Nov 2008 I failed to heed this advice. I do indeed feel that our Mustang will have many years left in the primary stringers, however looking back, and knowing what I know now, no question, you replace them while you are in there. It doesn't even take much more time, and no more material besides the wood. I am at peace with the decision I made, but would never do it again. Never.
Buck up and do it right the first time, Pete ain't lying.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 9:35am
Mike,

Thanks. When I read your post, I could just sit down and . I know I should do it but taking the engine out at this point makes me want to throw up. I just got through replacing all the wiring and I have no idea what it takes to take the engine out. Looks like you unbolt the four mounts, cut the wires, disconnect the fuel lines and separate it from the shaft. It's sitting in my workshop. If I were to do it, I would almost cut a hole in the ceiling, tie an engine hoist to the beams and lift it up a few inches before I would take it somewhere and do it. With that idea, I may not have to cut any wires.

I need any and all advice from this forum guys. Bring it on!!!!!

Help me everyone before I drown myself in a puddle of tears
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 9:43am
See my last post to Mike. You and he have good wisdom my son and should go far(did I hear that in a Chinease movie......?)

Now whether your child typing this will do what you prophesy has yet to be determined but I am listening........
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 10:46am
it sounds like your talking yourself out of doing a complete, which is your decision, if you sway towards a repair you have to get some support under those mounts, you have 4 mounting points, and the load could be spread out with aluminum angle over the stringers, this is temporary, I really have seen engines come loose, pulled right out of the stringers and sit at a 80 degree angle from the twist or the front of the engine real high from the outdrive thrust from the angle. its not so bad once you dig in, find a good branch and yank that engine, and go to town...after the fact you will have a sense of relief
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 11:02am

taking the engine out at this point makes me want to throw up. I just got through replacing all the wiring and I have no idea what it takes to take the engine out. Looks like you unbolt the four mounts, cut the wires, disconnect the fuel lines and separate it from the shaft. It's sitting in my workshop. If I were to do it, I would almost cut a hole in the ceiling, tie an engine hoist to the beams and lift it up a few inches

No name,
I'd rather pull a engine from a boat than a car/truck. Really it's not that bad of a job. If you'd rather not go cutting a hole in the ceiling and beaming across several ceiling joists to handle the load, you may want to look for a engine hoist. I went shopping just recently to get the 1927 engine out of the back end of my Suburban. Went on line to all the normal places like Northern and Harbor but the shipping was close to the purchase price!! Then went to good old ebay and did a "purchase now" for about $180 for a folding 2 ton and the shipping was free! He had a decent stock of them so you may want to take a look.

If you decide to go and put something in your ceiling, I'd go and put two lifting points in now. This way you'll be able to lift the complete boat if wanted. I do it with two 2 ton "come-a-longs".

The two on the right are for spanning the joists spreading the load.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 1:10pm

Mike,

Thanks. When I read your post, I could just sit down and . I know I should do it but taking the engine out at this point makes me want to throw up.

Scott,

I have had many, many of these moments. Especially at the idea of pulling the motor the first time. Once you do it you wlll wonder why you had the kleenex and barf pail out. All this stuff is pretty simple once you dig in. It is the idea of journeying into the unknown that makes your stomach tremble. Shortcuts are simply a bad idea. I have taken them, regretted them, and for the most part, re-done them. I just did the stringers in my 67 and really, I don't think it took any more time than doing a half assed job on the Mustang stringers. Seriously. It was way more of a pita to do a work around than just put my head down and do it all. The biggest driver for me was the pressure of wanting/needing to get the boat out in the Spring. This clouded my judgement. Again, it really doesn't take more time. You just think it will without having done it.
Ideally, you want to start this at the end of the season so you have a full winter to get it done. If youhave to do it now, give it h3ll and get her done before summer comes. We will all help you through the fire.
Pete will even stop calling you no name if you update your profile.

Mike

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 2:08pm
Mike,
I did it again!! I forgot Scott signed his first post! Sorry Scott.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No name,
. . .

His name is Scott, he's 49 years old. At least that what the first post in this thread says.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 2:29pm
Scott,

Listen to these guys. They know what they're talking about. I'll tell you there were a lot of places on my stringers that "SEEMED" solid. Once I cut them out I found out the wood was dry rot and kind of in one piece, but it isn't what I would consider solid.

I took my boat to a local boat repair shop to pull the engine and put it on a crate. He charged me $100. I'll do the same thing to put it back in.

As far as wood is concerned, I've been using Doug Fir lumber and plywood. My Supra is a little different layout than the Correct Crafts, but You can get some good ideas on how to put the wood in on mine. Each of my stringers were about $20. I'll spend ~$40 on the cross bracing. The plywood was ~$130. The compostie materials will last forever, but they're cost is pretty high. That's why I decided to just go wood.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 7:39pm
Ok, I give, Uncle,................Went out to my boat a minute ago and finished taking out the remaining secondary stringers. I got a big hammer and tapped on the primary stringers. The area behind the engine sounds different than the area in front of the engine which tells me something is wrong or they should sound the same. I called my brother who runs a repair shop and he said I could borrow one of their two engine hoists for as long as I needed so I am probably going to take the engine out and replace the primary stringers.

Ok, the next big question is what do I use to cut them out? A chain saw or what else? Seems like all I have to do is score the fiberglass on each side of the beam and out she comes.

I am going to need a bunch of advise so I hope you guys don't mind me bugging you to death. I would love to post some pictures but I tried once and failed. It said it was not in a jpg form and still too big. Do you or anybody else have some step by step instructions my simple mind could follow to post pictures?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Forgot to mention that the reason I am trying to do this as quick as possible is that my 9 year old son is pretty good at wakeboarding and I will feel terrible if I can't get this done by the middle of May.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 7:44pm
By the way, one of the reasons I try and take so good care of this boat is that I had a guy last year offer me $10,000 for it while skiing one day. The previous high offer I had before that was $8700(It cost $5500 brand new in 1975) but its not for sale for twice the offer. I want to keep it as original as possible and its a joy to ride. Sounds like two Harley Davidson's on the water!!! Nothing like it first thing in the morning.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 8:01pm
Scott,
(See guys I got it this time!!)

Many have tried different methods of cutting but I think the best is a cheap diamond blade in a 4 & 1/2" right angle grinder.

When you get some time, Try out the search feature some more here on site an take a look at some of the stringer threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
  Share Topic