Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement
    Posted: June-03-2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Ok, fellas I think we won. But you will never guess

ONE DROP OF EPOXY RESIN FELL ON THE CABLE AND PREVENTED IT FROM TRAVELLING THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!!!

He saw the shiny piece, flicked it off and it was fixed. Got to go now, leaving for memphis.

scott

Bases are loaded, John swing and its its its a Grand Slam Home Run !!!!     

Gotta love those happy endings       

Take lots of pics and enjoy your vacatio with the family.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 11:50pm
Ok, fellas I think we won. But you will never guess what happened.

The transmission cable was not working right? My friend came over with manual in hand and sat on the side of the boat, glanced at the cable and said "do you have a pocket knife?" I did not but he found something that would work and said "ok, it's fixed" to my amazement.

Somewhere in this thread someone told me to pick up those cables off the floor while you are working or something will happen to them. Well, it did.

ONE DROP OF EPOXY RESIN FELL ON THE CABLE AND PREVENTED IT FROM TRAVELLING THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!!!

He saw the shiny piece, flicked it off and it was fixed. Got to go now, leaving for memphis.

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 8:31pm
I'll say a little prayer for ya that you guys can get it all figured out.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 7:55pm
Well guys, it's the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and the home team is behind 3 runs with two outs in the World Series of Stringer Repair. The vacation is friday morning and I have my best player, John, coming up to bat about 4:30 this afternoon. In his earlier appearance, he hit a home run with no time remaining to perfectly align the engine 5 minutes before I had to leave for work and he was going out of town for 10 days. Can he do it again? Does he have anything left?

This is the very last thing to do. Will either be and or and   

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:55pm
I spoke with Woody at Mastercraft of Orlando.

He seems to think that I got in trouble when I separated the silver bracket on the transmission cable with holes in it from the red bracket with holes in it that attaches to the engine block. He believes my whole problem is between these brackets and the shift lever on the transmission. He scolded me for taking them apart and said if I had not taken them apart, there would be no problem. My holes are apparently not lined up correctly and my cables are routed wrong. I found an old picture of my engine and sure enough, the cables go in front of the engine not routed behind hoses like we thought.He believes the throttle cable, transmission cable and shift assembly by the steering wheel is fine.

We will try and concentrate on the transmission area this afternoon.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 12:26pm
Pete,

Long time no see.

I am taking the boat to a local legend right down the road and just get his first hand opinion. I had an anxiety attack this morning at 4:08 when I told myself "what if the elbow beneath the floor is binding the cables". I called my friend who helped me align the engine and he almost swore it could not be that or you could not move the throttle or transmission cables at all which I can(Reverse on the transmission and good on the throttle).

If I need new cables, I was told to look at the place on one of the posts above and order them. I will use FEDEX(my employer) if they cooperate and I could have them at 8:00 in the morning from anywhere in the country. Leaving friday for vacation.

Keep the advice coming. My stress level is off the charts!!

Scott
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 9:40am
Scott,
I'd just put a new set of cables in. They may have worked great before but now in the different position show their age.

Over the weekend, I pulled mine out of the Tique to get the size. The shift is bound up and stiff. The only problem I ran into was dropping my pocket knife. I was cutting the wire ties under the bow deck and it went right down the PVC pipe running to the bilge!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:59am
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

If you unhook the shift cable,can you shift it in to gear manually?

I'm not sure. In memphis tennessee now. will try back in the morning and let you know.

It will shift somewhat from neutral to reverse but it is like a brick wall trying to put it in to forward.
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 11:56pm
If you unhook the shift cable,can you shift it in to gear manually?
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I'd be ordering a new pair of Morse Red Jacket cables.

I get em from ReddenMarineSupply.

AT

Dr.

If I need them I need them but they have been working great for 35 years until I did the rebuild and now they don't. How do you know the cables are bad and not the way I have them hooked up? Or, is their something out of adjustment in the shifting box?

Just don't know why they were smooth as silk before and now they won't even work. I need to do whatever it takes but don't want to fix something that is not broke.

scott
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:53pm
I'd be ordering a new pair of Morse Red Jacket cables.

I get em from ReddenMarineSupply.

AT
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:35pm
I hear ya!

Just have not put the cushions in the seats and the back floor along with the cushion that snaps on to the back wall in front of the gas tank.

See my Throttle and Transmission cable thread which is casting rain on my entire parade and vacation next week if I can't come up with a solution.

Scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:31pm
Thanks, it was a good feeling for a minute until I found out my throttle and transmission cables are screwed up. They are not bent or broken and I have not messed with the shifting box by the drivers seat. I am just unable to shift the boat in to forward or reverse. I don't know what to do and if I don't get it fixed by thursday, my boating vacation is in jeopardy next week.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. See my thread on this subject if you want more information.

Thanks,

scott
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:16pm
Passenger seat makes me itch.

AT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:09pm
Looks good, Scott. I bet that was a great feeling getting it running i the driveway. I know it was for me.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 2:53am
Sweet...carpet job looks great. How'd ya feel with it running in the drive? Very good..I'd bet. What a job. Thanks for making sure you put on all the pics all the way thru. Enjoy watching the process.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:52pm
Keegan,

I am looking at your photos. I think I know how they are hooked up....it's just binding or something. They have always been smooth as silk until I messed with them during the rebuild. If you hear of anything, let me know.

Scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:08pm
Here are a ton of pictures. I got the boat started today. Still have to mount the pylon and a smaller list of items.

My new Depth finder

Check out the bilge pump, float and transducer:

WaxhawBoater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaxhawBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:14am
I live in Waxhaw, NC just outside Charlotte. Yeah, my duck is sunk for a while but maybe going to work on it today. I have to get everything torn off the engine for delivery to CM Engines. Planning on taking a table to my storage area and carefully label everything as I take it off with pic's. At least when I get it back, it will have a new starter, rebuilt engine, rebuilt carb and should run like a champ....hopefully.

With relation to carpet, I did do my own. Not hard at all just time consuming. I bought marine grade at Lowes and has lasted pretty good for the last two seasons. I think I spent about $300 for everything. I basically removed old carpet from wood (hundreds of staples), laid down new carpet face down, put wood down on top, lightly pulled and stretched as best I could. I took a sharp razor and cut about 3-4 inches from outer part of wood. Where you have bends in the wood, you will have to make perpendicular cuts towards wood about 2 inches so the carpet won't buckle when you fit it tight and staple down. unfortunately, I didn't take any photo's when I did it. I didn't use any glue.

I have a paint scheme for my engine once I get it back. I currently have Chrome valve covers and flash arrestor and looking at: Black/Silver/Yellow scheme. When I get my Lamborghini, it will be yellow too. Red is my favorite color but for boats, yellow seems to be my favorite color. I guess when the sun isn't out on the lake, yellow makes me think it is shining anyway.

Went tool shopping Saturday and bought some much needed tools for putting engine back together, Torque Wrench, Extended 3/8" drive, box of gloves, feeler gauge and a prayer box. Guess which gets used first ??

It's a little overcast here today but can cut the humidity with a knife. At least the sun isn't scorching. That makes for a hot day leaning over an engine.
WaxhawBoater
Waxhaw, NC
"1970 Skier"
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2010 at 11:30am
Paul,

Wow, it's you!! I called you one night last week on your cell(I think ) but could not get you. I have been wondering about the status of your engine. Sorry to hear the news. Just be glad you don't have a bunch of kids like I do that keep asking me "are we going to be able to use the boat this summer? That is the main reason I am working my hiney off trying to get her finished. My kids are in two different spots this weekend so we are kidless this weekend and working on the boat.

I hope to attempt the carpet this afternoonl. DirectTV is a great deal. I can work on the boat and then watch the recorded Indy 500 tonight.

If you know anything about carpet installation, let me know.

Just curious, where did Waxhawboater come from???

Scott
WaxhawBoater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaxhawBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2010 at 11:07am
Scott:
You have come a long ways Dude and sounds like you are about there. I am pulling my engine next Saturday and sending for remanufacturing...Long Block. said it would take about 10-14 days and looking forward to getting it back. The place is pretty close to Charlotte too. Hopefully by first of July, I will be back running again.
WaxhawBoater
Waxhaw, NC
"1970 Skier"
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2010 at 1:11am
Thanks Keegan. I think I got it figured out. It basically could only go one way..........maybe that's why I did not pay more attention to details when I took them apart.

Believe it or not, tommorrow after church, I am going to try and install the carpet, seats, engine cover and the covering in front of the gas tank. Realistically, I am shooting for the carpet only. I may could do the seats and engine cover monday morning and do the fake a lake deal in my driveway monday afternoon.

I was looking at your early pictures of the boat you have. I guess my question is: How could a boat get in that bad of a condiction? Is is poor craftsmanship on the part of CC or did someone not care at all about it?

I will admit my boat is a unique situation. It has been garage kept for 35 years. The only time it has been outside is when it is on the water and being used. Over the last 21 summers that I have owned it, I have only averaged 1hr./week from may-august or about 12-15hrs./summer.

I plan on posting other pictures tomorrow. Cut my finger pretty bad today and got mad and quit but I don't have a lot left to do.

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 2:31pm
These pics are pretty big so if you zoom in and look carefully you can see the transmission cable in the first picture and the throttle in the second. We have different engines, but hopefully the setup is similar. Great Job by the way! I am starting my floors today in cardboard.

Just above the breather cap on the valve cover there is a clip for the throttle cable.- Hope this helps.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 11:08am
......I have only one stumbling block I might need help with: I neglected to take pictures or write down how the strottle and transmission cable went together. I am trying to find some pictures of my engine and could possibly see it but not luck so far. Here is the back of the boat. Will post the front tomorrow.

Nevermind, I just figured it out. Thanks.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 12:33am
Well boys, barring a catastrophe, I may have her in the water by memorial day which was my goal three months ago. I still have to carpet it, install the pylon, battery box, seats and engine cover and the back rest in front of the gas tank. I have only one stumbling block I might need help with: I neglected to take pictures or write down how the strottle and transmission cable went together. I am trying to find some pictures of my engine and could possibly see it but not luck so far. Here is the back of the boat. Will post the front tomorrow.

Fuel tank area. The blower hose is not connected yet:

Got the floor in: Those are burn marks on the right side of the floor.

Perfect alignment, I hope:

Back half of the engine:

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for all the help.

scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:57pm
Scott,

You're close. I would agree with the recent comments. Back off, drink a beer, relax and come back to it. I had several items that did that to me with the final details and sometimes walking away for a little bit does the trick.

Keep at it with perserverance, too. You'll be done before you know it. A few months ago I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever be done. About 6 weeks ago I was going through the same types of issues you are trying to get everything back together so I could take it out.

Now, I have two solid weekends with the family on the lake under my belt. Mind you, I do still have some things to do like final routing of the tower speaker wiring and a couple panels to install under the helm. I also want to do some clean up work of the caulking under the rub rail I did with the 4200 and I want to get a good hand polish and several coats of wax on.

I guess the work never ends, eh? LOL!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I am taking the day off from working on the boat and run some errands and pick up my workshop. I literally can't find anything I want to use because everything is so scattered. Now that I know I am not going to Callaway this weekend, my next target date is June 4th, the day we go on vacation at the lake. It better be done by then or I am building a 75 Skiier bondfire and cooking marshmellows

Can I plunder it first?    There are a few parts I could use! Just kidding. You will work it out. I found that a break and a good cleaning of the work area gave me a fresh mind to tackle the problems I was having. I could not find anything my place was such a mess. Not even a screw driver, and it did not help my attitude having to search for every tool I needed.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:26pm
I am taking the day off from working on the boat and run some errands and pick up my workshop. I literally can't find anything I want to use because everything is so scattered. Now that I know I am not going to Callaway this weekend, my next target date is June 4th, the day we go on vacation at the lake. It better be done by then or I am building a 75 Skiier bondfire and cooking marshmellows
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:52am
Brian,
your words are encouraging and I will try and calm down. I just wish something on the boat would be as easy as changing a light bulb. I am real good at that and I feel confident of my ability to do it right every time.

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:43am
I too am hoping that I can make it through all the details of putting it back together. You will get it done with a little help from the crew here. The positive of the adversity is that you will FULLY understand and have a mastery over all of these little details once you get them figured out.

A rebuild is an emotional roller coaster. So many hurdles to cross, and with each one passed comes gratification of a job well done and the one ahead is a new unknown stirring up doubt and uncertainty. You are on the home stretch. Take a day off from the boat, enjoy something else you have been neglecting and come back to it in a coupla days with a fresh mind.

You can do it!!!!

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
  Share Topic