Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 7:41pm
Pete,

Thanks, you are correct again. I built this hunting boat I was talking about in 2005 and I think you could drop it off the roof of my house and it would not scratch it so I figured it would definitely work for a boat I use 12-15 hours per year but you guys have a proven track record so thats good enough for me. It will also work out well monday when I go to Sweetwater and can just give him all the business(Doug Fir, plywood, 1x's and anything else).

Got my computer back. Going outside to take some pictures. Will send them in a little while. Anyone that wants to comment on them plese do. I have been grinding one side of the boat for about three hours today. Trying to get everything smooth as possible but I know it does not have to be perfect especially the sides since I am probably going with the plywood and not the foam. Just trying to get all the old foam, old wood and gelcoat out of the boat.

Thanks again. Keep me motivated and give any and all advise you can. I plan on sitting in fron of the fire tonight and reading threads. Don't partake in alchohol so a nice diet coke will do.

scott

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 8:44pm
This is the drivers side primary Stringer.

Has anyone ever seen one of these tool? My grandfather gave it to me when he died. It let's you copy an angel on wood to match what you are replacing.

This is my nice heated workshop.

The rear inside of the boat.

Any comments?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 12:08am
Looks like you are moving right along at a great pace.

Get all of those cables out of the way. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Get all of the hardware out- the prop and shaft, rudder, exhaust ports. The The prop shaft seal will need to be replaced so you might as well get it out of your way while you are working. My seal basically fell apart after I removed the shaft so I am really glad I did not overlook it.

There is wood under the glass at the exhaust ports and rudder mount that need to be removed as well, and don't forget the wood under the lift ring on the transom and under the bilge pump. There is no wood under the pylon mount so leave it alone unless it is loose.

Pete is right about the plywood.

Looks like you did a nice clean job removing your stringer. I wish mine came out that nice. Good work, keep it up!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 1:56am
Keegan,
There is good news and bad news about reading and having access to this website.

The good news is that everyone, including you, are giving me pointers and "don't forget" items that I was not aware of and would have easily overlooked and felt terrible later.

The bad news is when the good news is over, there is more money out of my pocket and more soreness in my back. I just got through taking two Motrin because my back is hurting and I can't sleep.

The plywood issue is now off the "worry" list and I will pick up about three sheets of it monday.

Later,

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 10:59am
Keegan,

Where do you buy the replacement prop shaft seal? My contact in Florida at Southeast Mastercraft could get me one I am sure. I was turning that shaft after I took the engine out the other day and it was making a sound like it was dry or needed lubricated.

You have been very helpful. Contact me again anytime as I need all the advise I can get.

scott

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 11:20am
Steve,
Both the cutlass bearing in the strut (rubber bushing aft by the prop) and the prop shaft stuffing box just forward of the shaft log (brass angular plate glassed into the hull) are water lubricated. They will vibrate/make noise when dry but also because you have the engine pulled the shaft is out of alignment. I wouldn't worry too much about ether at this time. You can check for radial ply between the shaft and the cutlass but will defiantly will want to address both when it's time for the engine to go back in and you do a alignment. Plenty of info here on alignment too!!! Save your reading time now for the stringer project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 3:03pm
This is what you need for the log.

I have been advised that the $200 dripless systems are not worth the extra $. Pete is right about the noise. It is nothing to worry about. The Cutlass bearing is like a hard rubber material and needs to be wet to spin quietly.

Skidim.com has most of what you need. I have not bought anything from them yet, but they have been suggested to me and others many times by the members of this site.

The sun is finally out today so I am going to level and block up my boat. My CPES is supposed to be here tomorrow and I will be ordering my glass supplies by Wednesday.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

This is what you need for the log.

I have been advised that the $200 dripless systems are not worth the extra $. Pete is right about the noise. It is nothing to worry about. The Cutlass bearing is like a hard rubber material and needs to be wet to spin quietly.

Skidim.com has most of what you need. I have not bought anything from them yet, but they have been suggested to me and others many times by the members of this site.

The sun is finally out today so I am going to level and block up my boat. My CPES is supposed to be here tomorrow and I will be ordering my glass supplies by Wednesday.

By "log" do you mean the housing to hold the wiring or something else? Headed out to work on it for a couple of hours. Thanks.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 3:56pm
Keegan,

Nevermind, I saw the log on the skidim website. Sorry.

What do you suggest of the three air intake hoses and the wiring enclosure up under the dash? If you know where the thread is as well I could read about it. Saved the Skidim website under favorites and will use them I am sure.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by pwningjr pwningjr wrote:

CPES is Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (Did I get it right?)

Is this a different material or substance than the epoxy resin and hardner that I received this week or is it another name for the same thing? Is the sealer used to put on the areas of the wood that are not being fiberglassed?

Thanks

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 6:00pm
Scott,
The CPES is different than the resin you just got. Did you see the link Mike provided to the explanation on CPES and what it does?

The picture Keegan posted is simply the rubber hose connection between the shaft log and the shaft packing gland. Although it does keep the water out, it's not the actual seal. The sealing means is a rope type packing material inside the packing gland. It's the big nut and housing right where the shaft first enters the bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 6:20pm
Pete,

Your name should be "Dr. 8122pbrainard" and I would bet there is not much related to correct crafts that you do not know about. Your knowledge is invaluable and I am taking note of everything you and everone else is saying and applying it to my restoration. Thanks.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 8:18pm

Looks like you are moving right along at a great pace.

Get all of those cables out of the way. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Get all of the hardware out- the prop and shaft, rudder, exhaust ports. The The prop shaft seal will need to be replaced so you might as well get it out of your way while you are working. My seal basically fell apart after I removed the shaft so I am really glad I did not overlook it.

There is wood under the glass at the exhaust ports and rudder mount that need to be removed as well, and don't forget the wood under the lift ring on the transom and under the bilge pump. There is no wood under the pylon mount so leave it alone unless it is loose.

Pete is right about the plywood.

Looks like you did a nice clean job removing your stringer. I wish mine came out that nice. Good work, keep it up!

Is it mandatory to take the exhaust port wood and rudder wood out? I have to say it looks like its in perfect condiction but I could and probably am wrong. The bilge pump piece would be no problem if that too has to come out.

I have been up and down the drivers side of the boat grinding and grinding and everything is almost flush. When do I know when enough is enough? I ground the lip on the side wall almost flush as well.

comments?

Thanks,

scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 8:25pm
Don't be in a hurry to take the lip off the side wall. It is your best point of reference for leveling the stringers and the floor.

I pulled the wood around my exhaust ring, and also the rudder, and they turned out to be fine. The stringers were rubble. Go figure.

The problem is, if you don't do it now, it's a real PITA, should you have to go back and do it later. It's pretty easy to change them out now.

Try to post a pic of your grinding. It sound like you are probably there, or very close.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 8:59pm
This is not a very good picture but everything you see is virtually level.

Here is the drivers side exhaust port. I plan on cleaning and grinding around it some more.

Rudder assembly area

The passenger side of my boat. I have the original decal which is not the one shown.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 10:18pm
Scott,
Plan on pulling the exhaust through hulls and the strut so you can grind the ply out from the hull. Just as Brian mentioned, I would not take the chance that the ply in those areas is good.

Yes, it's hard to tell from the pictures but keep in mind you want to lay the new glass on old glass and not the decorative gel coat in the bilge. It needs to be ground off. It's not very strong!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:27am
Definitely remove the exhaust ports. The plywood under the glass is exposed once you pull out the metal exhaust ports and it will be wet. Same with the rudder mount. Nothing but plywood with holes drilled through it under that glass. Water is in there.

CPES is a crucial prophylactic. I just paid $190 for 2 gallons. Not real happy with that but it is guaranteed to add years, if not decades to the life of your boat. Every single drill hole for your hardware should be pilot drilled, then filled with CPES and then 5200 applied at the time the screw is set. These details are the difference between the duct tape jobs that came out of the factory and a world class rebuild.

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

My fuel line had 1973 printed on it too. They must have bought a lot of that to still be using it 2 years later.    

I need to replace all of my lines also.   Does anybody have a good source? The places I have looked are 2.25-3.00 a foot for type a uscg approved line. Ouch!

Check out this fuel line at DIM. $1.96 a foot.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:12pm
Scott,

You're looking good. Wipe the boat down and let everyone see how deep you grinded. I'd agree on what these guys are saying about the exhaust ports, etc.

If you look at my thread, I just found some wet wood up front on mine I wasn't expecting. The wood in the back of mine seems solid and dry so I'm not messing with it.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:32pm
Hi everyone.

Just returned from a 320 mile roundtrip event to retrieve my two primary beams from Sweetwater in Austell Ga. That's a great place and highly reccomment it. Glad that's over with. I could not buy the 1X stringers or plywood from them in a 5/8" thickness because they don't carry plywood in that thickness and the 1X would be too expensive and they just suggested I go to Lowe's for these two items.

Got one question. The stringers I bought today are actually 2" wide stuff and looks real good. Do I rip it down to the 1 1/2" width my original beam was or do I leave it like it is and just have a big pair of heavyweight stringers to put the engine on? I can't tell if their would be any place that it would really make a difference to have the two inch width vs. going with the original width of 1 1/2"

Scott
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:35pm
I planed mine down to 1.5". However, I left my channels in the hull.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 6:09pm
If they look clean I would leave them thicker. On mine I laminated some oak onto the side of the stringer at the front engine mounts as they are wider then 1-1/2". If you go this route I would recommend that grind the existing leg on the high side. The leg on the lower will help hold the epoxy in when you reset the stringer.

FrankT
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:09pm
Need advise:

I took the exhaust flange out of the transom and looked at the wood. I can't even get any wood to come off using a screwdriver or digging tool. The wood seems solid. Can I just paint a thin coating of epoxy on it and reinstall it instead of cutting it out? Don't know the condiction of the rudder base but it looks clean as well.

Please let me know something asap. Working on the boat now.'

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:16pm
So you just left the plate, and just removed the pipe? You are lucky if it is in that good of shape. Did you check both? or just one.
In the interest of time, I would say leave it, and repair it later if necessary. You really need to get cracking on the stringer structure in order to have the boat for the summer. That is the only reason I would suggest putting it off. If this were November or December, I would say do it regardless. Mine were over half mush. Just black soup.

Just a time sensitive suggestion is all.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:23pm
I just took the four screws off the flange from the outside and tapped the whole thing out with a hammer. No damage to the wood anywhere around the diameter of the hole. I could epoxy the wood and reinstall the flange with some silicon.

Let me just post a picture of the hole and the stringer and that would be better than writing everything. Thanks for the speedy response.

scott
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:27pm
One of mine was bad, one was good. You could see moisture wicking out in the dust if you let it sit overnight. It will only take a half hour or so to cut them out now. If you wait your new stringers will be in the way and the process will be much more challenging. I am still researching a material to put back in lieu of wood. Some type of poly wood be nice. All these pieces do is pick up the trim ring screws and provide an additional thickness for sealing. My original pipes where glassed in and I plan on using a marine adhesive/sealant when I reinstall.

FrankT       
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:31pm
Do NOT use silicon. If in fact the wood is in really good shape, I think it is ok to get after the rest of the project. I do NOT think this is the right way to do it, but you guys that are in the beginning phases of your stringer jobs simply are not going to have boats this year if you do not get going quickly. I would prefer you replaced it.
Use 3m 5200 Marine Sealant, and glass around the back side of it like it was. You were probably taking water in there if it just came free after removing the flange. Not replacing the wood at this time is just my opinion and I expect to be flamed a bit for it. But you do want a boat to use pretty soon.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 2:40pm
The new Doug Fir underneath the old one(Gas tank end)

Exhaust hole from the outside(The yellow is some sort of glue)

Exhause hole from the inside:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:01pm
Those look surprisingly good.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:14pm
One small bit of black at the bottom but otherwise it looks brand new. Now I have to do the other side. Thanks for ya'lls input.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic