NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:46pm
One little bit of black is the beginning of it turning to mush over the next few years. Like Frank said it will not take much extra time to replace them.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 3:49pm
Scott,
Through the silicone out!! Everyones correct that the stuff isn't the greatest. You haven't been around long enough to know there are several things I'm very opinionated about. One of them is silicone!!! Have you ever noticed it doesn't stick very well at times? It won't even stick to itself. As mentioned, go with 5200 or 4200 which has slightly less adhesive qualities.

BTW, a couple others are tubers and of course keepin it original!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 4:07pm
I did not realize you had the plates out. Definitely replace. I thought you just had the pipes out.

Pete really hates silicon. And tubers.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 6:28pm
Ok, go ahead and let me have it ..........what's a tuber?
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 7:31pm
This would be an example - behind a toon no less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBgBJsIeD8

I think the guy in the middle is upset because he can't find the TV remote.

FrankT
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Do NOT use silicon. If in fact the wood is in really good shape, I think it is ok to get after the rest of the project. I do NOT think this is the right way to do it, but you guys that are in the beginning phases of your stringer jobs simply are not going to have boats this year if you do not get going quickly. I would prefer you replaced it.
Use 3m 5200 Marine Sealant, and glass around the back side of it like it was. You were probably taking water in there if it just came free after removing the flange. Not replacing the wood at this time is just my opinion and I expect to be flamed a bit for it. But you do want a boat to use pretty soon.

Good grief I just spent 50 minutes staring at my old stringer sitting on top of the new stringer and cannot figure out how to cut the angle side of the new board to match the contour of the boat hull. You would think its just a matter of copying the old board but its not that easy. Any suggestions?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I just spent 50 minutes staring at my old stringer sitting on top of the new stringer and cannot figure out how to cut the angle side of the new board to match the contour of the boat hull. You would think its just a matter of copying the old board but its not that easy. Any suggestions?

Scott,
Use the old stringer for just the rough cutting as I wouldn't really trust it. Remember that CC didn't do the greatest of jobs!! You'll need to actually do the final fitting of the curvature/angle to the hull. You'll want to set the new stringer in place after the rough cut setting it level and plumb then scribe it in place. Some fixturing/clamping will be needed. Scribing: Measure the distance the height needs to go down, set one of the cheap dime store compasses to that dimension, pull the compass down the length of the hull. The pencil will make the contour of the hull. Do the same on both sides and it will indicate the bevel.

The best tool to finish this curvature/bevel off is the power hand planer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:55pm
+1 on the power planar!!!

My stringers came out intact. I cut the long side, stood them on the tops, and duplicated them to their respective originals with the power planar. I bet it did not take 20 minutes each.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I just spent 50 minutes staring at my old stringer sitting on top of the new stringer and cannot figure out how to cut the angle side of the new board to match the contour of the boat hull. You would think its just a matter of copying the old board but its not that easy. Any suggestions?

Scott,
Use the old stringer for just the rough cutting as I wouldn't really trust it. Remember that CC didn't do the greatest of jobs!! You'll need to actually do the final fitting of the curvature/angle to the hull. You'll want to set the new stringer in place after the rough cut setting it level and plumb then scribe it in place. Some fixturing/clamping will be needed. Scribing: Measure the distance the height needs to go down, set one of the cheap dime store compasses to that dimension, pull the compass down the length of the hull. The pencil will make the contour of the hull. Do the same on both sides and it will indicate the bevel.

The best tool to finish this curvature/bevel off is the power hand planer.

I think this is over my head. Got a guy coming over in the morning to try and help me. I know its probably not hard but if you have never done it and just spent 7hrs. retrieving the wood and the money I paid and thinkig I am fixing to ruin the wood, it's pretty overwhelming. Are the secondary stringers cut the same way? What tool did you use to cut the rough cut with? I don't think my jigsaw is big enough. I could rent one locally if needed. One more, how do I find topics using the search function and where do I look for the stringer patterns members used now that I have decided to not put foam back in the rebuild?

Off to work. Thanks again, Pete.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 10:48pm
Scott,
Sorry my description is hard to understand. Sometimes putting a process into words isn't easy!

If your old stringers did come out and still fit fairly good to the hull, then you can rely on them more just as Mike did.

A band saw is idea for cutting the curvature but I understand we all don't have one. Next best toll I would choose would be the hand power circular saw - "Skil saw". No it won't go around corners but will rough cut in sections. Just be careful!! Your jig saw for ripping 2" isn't going to hack it!! Do look into a power hand planer. I believe Harbor tool has a basic inexpensive one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 12:21am
I was planning on using the bandsaw for the 67SN stringers. However, my brother proclaimed he could do it with a jigsaw, and did so perfectly. I just plain suck with a jigsaw so I would not have tried it, but they came out exact.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 12:23pm
Jig saw work fine for us. Just make sure you have some good blades. Watch any tight radiuses as sometimes the blade will have the tendency to bend and cut a different pattern on the bottom.

If your old stringer is usable as a pattern I would use it as opposed to a dimensioned drawing (although we dimensioned the old before it was removed not knowing how it would come out). We did as Mike did, traced the old, cut, then clamped the two pieces together, and cut the bottom angle with a power planner to match the original. My son used the power planner and I followed with a hand planner to clean it up.
For the drain holes on the bottom of stringer we did not cut as tall as a hole as others, only about an inch, and we located them at the low spot when on the trailer and about at the water pick ups in the rear. On the top of the stringer we cut only as required for the engine mounts of the engine we are putting back in. I looks like CC cut the originals to accommodate a verity of engines. The notches for the floor battens is really your call. We are at 12" on center which worked well with the flooring material layout, seat base, and is tight enough so 1/2" material can be used. The secondary stringers follow the primary.

FrankT

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 6:24pm
Well, after waking up and worrying about cutting this board for 24 hours, I am going to go out and do the rough cut and look over it again taking in everyone's comments. I think I might be visiting Harbor Freight in the morning. I can rent a power planer for $35/day for two days for both stringers or $70 or buy one at harbor freight for $29(I have a good coupon). Will let you know the good or bad news.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 6:31pm
I remember a local hardware rental place wanted $75 per day to rent a chainsaw I needed for a weekend. I went and bought a little one for $160 and it lasted me 10 years before it gave up the ghost.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 7:08pm
Scott,

I don't have all the fancy tools either. I used a skill saw and jigsaw to cut the stringers, and I used my 4" grinder to the shaping. I am very pleased with the fit.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 7:32pm
Thickened epoxy fixes everything stop worrying
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

Jig saw work fine for us. Just make sure you have some good blades. Watch any tight radiuses as sometimes the blade will have the tendency to bend and cut a different pattern on the bottom.

If your old stringer is usable as a pattern I would use it as opposed to a dimensioned drawing (although we dimensioned the old before it was removed not knowing how it would come out). We did as Mike did, traced the old, cut, then clamped the two pieces together, and cut the bottom angle with a power planner to match the original. My son used the power planner and I followed with a hand planner to clean it up.
For the drain holes on the bottom of stringer we did not cut as tall as a hole as others, only about an inch, and we located them at the low spot when on the trailer and about at the water pick ups in the rear. On the top of the stringer we cut only as required for the engine mounts of the engine we are putting back in. I looks like CC cut the originals to accommodate a verity of engines. The notches for the floor battens is really your call. We are at 12" on center which worked well with the flooring material layout, seat base, and is tight enough so 1/2" material can be used. The secondary stringers follow the primary.

FrankT

Happy Days, Happy Days, Huray for the home team.........!!!!!

I got the stringer cut and its perfect. Used only a skill saw and an antique scribe tool of my grandfathers and a good eye and it worked out great. I may have to widen the channel it sits in because this board is two an actual 2 inches. I already checked the channel the exhaust pipe sits in and I have enough room for the two inch width. Should be just a matter of grinding a little fiberglass/gelcoat off.

Thanks for all you guys support and advice. I consider placing the two primaries one of the most difficult parts of the project.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 9:08pm
I am not sure, but I think you will need to set your primaries 1/2 toward the gunnels. I am guessing that if you set them 1/2 inch toward the centerline of the boat, you may have trouble with the engine mounts. ICBW. I'm not entirley familiar with the engine mounts/width on your style of boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 9:49pm
BKH,

That's exactly what I am going to do. I plan on placing a short 1X stringer butted up against this 2" stringer and the other side as well that is approximately the length of the engine and 1/2" shorter to accomodate the flooring. The floor area in front of and behind the engine will be knotched out to accept the plywood.

Can somebody tell me what type of wood to buy at Lowe's for the secondaries? They should be a piece of cake compared to this. Can't wait to do those after cutting this piece.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 10:12pm
Scott,
The common 1x's you'll find at Lowes most likely be a pine which is fine. There will however be a couple grades. Look at the prices. My concern with the common #1&2 would be moisture content, cupping, twisting, bowing and of course the knots.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:01pm
The Lowes I shop at had Douglas fir in 1xs it was back by the hardwoods.
I had to dig through them to get good ones though. Monty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Monty,
Are you sure it was Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas Fir)? Was it labeled as such or just "Fir"? The SPF (spruce, pine, fir) "white woods" is very broad with 48-55 species of evergreen conifers. A common "fir" in the SPF group would be a "Balsam" Fir. Mo. is a pretty long distance from the Pacific Northwest!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:31pm
But Pete, Kansas City is a Major railroad hub.

AT
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 11:42pm

Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Monty,
Are you sure it was Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas Fir)? Was it labeled as such or just "Fir"? The SPF (spruce, pine, fir) "white woods" is very broad with 48-55 species of evergreen conifers. A common "fir" in the SPF group would be a "Balsam" Fir. Mo. is a pretty long distance from the Pacific Northwest!!!!

Pete,

I think The University of Alabama(National Champs and my alma mater, thank you) offered a doctoral program in wood and tree science.....did you graduate in that program?

Seriously dude, just tell me what to buy at Lowe's and I am there with check in hand. Headed to Memphis.

Thanks,

scott

79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 1:03am
Pete,
I was clearly labeled Douglas fir. I am by no means an expert. My saw of choice is a stihl. They had the 1xs in stock and special ordered my 2xs.
Monty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 8:45am
Monty,
I beleive you but am surprised. Outside the northwest, 2x Doug it hard to find these days let alone 1x. 1x is odd because Doug is typical for structural.

Scott,
I did answer you question on what to get. It's up a couple posts from the Pseudotsuga menziesii. Any of the 1x labled pine and then look at the quality which will affect the cost. FWIW, I did have some schooling in woods. Not forestry but it did give me a pretty good understanding of the woods out there. BTW, I did have to cheat and look up the scientific name for the Doug Fir!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 5:04pm

Monty,
I beleive you but am surprised. Outside the northwest, 2x Doug it hard to find these days let alone 1x. 1x is odd because Doug is typical for structural.

Scott,
I did answer you question on what to get. It's up a couple posts from the Pseudotsuga menziesii. Any of the 1x labled pine and then look at the quality which will affect the cost. FWIW, I did have some schooling in woods. Not forestry but it did give me a pretty good understanding of the woods out there. BTW, I did have to cheap and look up the scientific name for the Doug Fir!!

Hopefully fixing to start putting down the drivers side primary and secondary stringers today and this weekend. Any words of advice before I start?

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 11:17pm
Here is my progress to date.. Here are two shots of my stringers. The secondary ones are not in place but just set up for the picture:

I decided to use two floor supports from underneath my house to support the floor while I work on it. Works perfect. You can buy them at Lowe's:

Ya'll got any comments for me?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 12:19am
Scott,
Do you have a router? Using a router with a round over bit (1/4" radius) on all the top edges of your new wood makes laying the glass covering easier.

Also, just make sure you've ground off all the decorative gel in the bilge and into the old resin for a good bond to the hull. I mentioned it a couple days ago.

Scott, it's hard to tell from the pictures but keep in mind you want to lay the new glass on old glass and not the decorative gel coat in the bilge. It needs to be ground off. It's not very strong!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 12:56am
Pete,

Yes, a brand new one for this project. Will do. I plan on covering the entire primary stringers with glass and that should do the trick.

I will remove the old gelcoat. I was going to buy some color pigment to mix in for the bilge covering. I remember purchasing some pigment from my resin supplier before when I built that hunting boat so I will get with him.

If I do everything I plan to do, I see me buying a bunch more epoxy. Bought a six gallon kit to start and had some already but I bet I buy at least another six gallons.

I used another antique block planer my grandfather willed to me to make the top of the new stringer perfectly level with its companion still in the boat. I will post a picture of these old tools I am using tomorrow.
It just makes the project more personal to me.

scott

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic