Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 11:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
The CPES is different than the resin you just got. Did you see the link Mike provided to the explanation on CPES and what it does?

The picture Keegan posted is simply the rubber hose connection between the shaft log and the shaft packing gland. Although it does keep the water out, it's not the actual seal. The sealing means is a rope type packing material inside the packing gland. It's the big nut and housing right where the shaft first enters the bilge.

Pete,

I ran across this information from the RAKA.com which is the company I am buying my resin from and talking with Larry who seems to know his products well. I brought up the CPES question to him and asked him if he sold it and he stated to me:

"Scott, no we do not have CPES. In my opinion this is and mostly not necessary. You can create essentially the same thing with our epoxy or anybody elses by adding some laquer thinner. This severely weakens the epoxy"

I know everybody swears by this CPES but I also trust what this guy is saying. What do you think?
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 11:51am
Scott,

Unless the new stringer tops are crooked you shouldn't have to plane the tops at all. Put the two stringers on the saw horses flat top to top to verity. If the new is high you should plane the bottom to lower it. It looks like you may already have you new stringer in but if not I would recommend using it as the template for the other. In fact on mine I clamped all four together and did my floor batten layout up front so I know this would be the same. The primary stringers where mirror images but the secondaries differed somewhat on the bottom, probably due to the amount of floor grinding I did.

A lot of people have had good success sealing up the stringers before putting them in the boat as the resin is thin and a lot of it will end up in the bottom of the boat. Laying them flat allows the wood to absorb a lot more. Cutting the top notches before you install the stringers is also easier done before installing.

Pete recommendation to radius the top edge before glassing is a good one as the cloth will be easier to get to lay. Likewise at the bottom make a good fillet with thickened epoxy. I found the back of a plastic spoon works well for this. Getting the cloth to lay can be difficult especially thicker and it is easier to use two thin in lieu of one thick in most cases.    

FrankT     

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Scott,
The CPES is different than the resin you just got. Did you see the link Mike provided to the explanation on CPES and what it does?

Pete,

I ran across this information from the RAKA.com which is the company I am buying my resin from and talking with Larry who seems to know his products well. I brought up the CPES question to him and asked him if he sold it and he stated to me:

"Scott, no we do not have CPES. In my opinion this is and mostly not necessary. You can create essentially the same thing with our epoxy or anybody elses by adding some laquer thinner. This severely weakens the epoxy"

I know everybody swears by this CPES but I also trust what this guy is saying. What do you think?

Scott,
He's absolutely correct that it does severely weaken the epoxy. No doubt about it!! It's a sealer and NOT a bonding adhesive.

There's plenty of info on the web where people are using solvents to reduce the viscosity of regular epoxy resin. They are simply guessing at the solvent type or selecting whatever solvent will cut it. I'm not a chemist so I'll stick with the CPES. I'd hate to mix up a batch of home brew and then have the incorrect solvent prevent it from curing.

I would not do a wood stringer job without it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 2:01pm
Just to add to this, I just got my order of more the other day and was reading the literature they sent along. Their absorption test is pretty amazing. Scott, go look at their website and see all the testing they've done, etc. I agree with Pete in that I'm sure you could mix it up on your own, but why? And risk getting it wrong? My boat is a bit bigger than yours and I ended up ordering 4 of the two quart kits. It cost me about $250. Not too awful much in the grand scheme of things.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Just to add to this, I just got my order of more the other day and was reading the literature they sent along. Their absorption test is pretty amazing. Scott, go look at their website and see all the testing they've done, etc. I agree with Pete in that I'm sure you could mix it up on your own, but why? And risk getting it wrong? My boat is a bit bigger than yours and I ended up ordering 4 of the two quart kits. It cost me about $250. Not too awful much in the grand scheme of things.

I may have put out the wrong message about CPES. I never intended to try and mix my own batch or come up with my own formula. I was simply wondering what the difference was in coating the wood with the epoxy resin I have and letting it dry before glassing vs. buying CPES and coating the wood with it and letting it dry and then glassing for an additional $300 in project costs?

I looked at the website concerning CPES and they primarily talked about rotten wood and what their product does for that application. I will read the article again but I did not see much related to "new" wood applications.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 6:50pm
Scott,
Don't worry, you never put out the wrong message!

You may not find very much on CPES on their site. It was designed for wood repair. You will find new wood application instructions in the pamphlet that comes with it.

CPES as a sealer/primer in boats come from the restoration of wood boats and not the replacement of stringers in glass boats.
It works so well, that the method was started with our stringer jobs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

Scott,

Cutting the top notches before you install the stringers is also easier done before installing.

FrankT     

Boy, were you right. I thought this would be the simple part. I am finding it almost impossible to cut it out while in the boat. Any suggestions?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 8:18pm
How wide are the notches. You may be able to use a router. I would use a skill saw first. Set your blade to the depth you want your notches. Cut across at each end of the notch. Next, Use a router bit for cutting grooves on a tongue and groove. Try to use a wide one if you can. Just set the router bit to the depth you want the notches and take out the material between the saw cuts. This isn't goint to work well if the notches are sider than the circular table on the router. If you do it this way be careful. It's easy to slip up witht he router and ram through wood you didn't want to take out.

One idea. Someone else probably has a better one.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 8:29pm
Reading your response, I think I need to go and buy a bigger router bit. I just have the skinny one that looks like a pencil with sharp edges. If I had a bigger bit, it would cut more out. Let's find out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 8:52pm
Scott,
The router is a good idea but may be more than you really need to make the lap joint cutout. I'd stick with the saw kerfs and then finish it off with a chisel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 10:09pm

Scott,
The router is a good idea but may be more than you really need to make the lap joint cutout. I'd stick with the saw kerfs and then finish it off with a chisel.

Pete,

I went down to Lowe's and bought a fairly large cutout bit which was 4X as big as I was using earlier and I think it did the job. I clamped two scrap pieces of wood on either side of the beam level with the uncut Doug Fir heighth to serve as a rest for the router and set my depth to match the other beam which is still in the boat. The router ran along the boards and cutout the Fir smoothly. I just have to finalize the level and depth tomorrow.

I ground off the remaining gelcoat where the fiberglass will be laid on the bilge side of the beam. I plan on grinding off all the gelcoat and then putting a gray pigmented layer of epoxy so my bilge will look nice and neat.

I am predicting that by a week from tomorrow, I will be through with the drivers side and can begin taking out the passenger side beam.

As always, keep me informed. Maybe we can talk on the phone one day. Everyone's information is priceless to me fixing the boat.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 10:20am
Here are some antique tools I am using to rebuild the stringers: Level, block plane, tool to measure angels and a scribing device similiar to a compass:

Headed out to the garage for about six hours of work.

scott
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:41pm
Scott,

You can still cut them with the jig saw, just have to work them from the side as opposed from the top.

Pictures of the tools is great. I don't have a wood level but have two wood block planes. Used to be my Grandfathers.

FrankT   
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:42pm
Frank,

Taking a break. Read what I told Pete two posts above. I used my new plunge router. Set two scrap boards level with the top of the beam as a guide for the bottom of the router to run on, plunged it down until it hit the top of the beam and then went down another 5/8th inch for the thickness of the plywood I am using, turned it on and cut out the area in question then used my block plane pictured, chisel and sander to make it perfect. Will post a picture soon.

RE: If you drip epoxy resin somewhere, don't think you can pick it up later. I did this and now have to grind for thirty minutes removing what I spilled.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

Jig saw work fine for us. Just make sure you have some good blades. Watch any tight radiuses as sometimes the blade will have the tendency to bend and cut a different pattern on the bottom.

If your old stringer is usable as a pattern I would use it as opposed to a dimensioned drawing (although we dimensioned the old before it was removed not knowing how it would come out). We did as Mike did, traced the old, cut, then clamped the two pieces together, and cut the bottom angle with a power planner to match the original. My son used the power planner and I followed with a hand planner to clean it up.
For the drain holes on the bottom of stringer we did not cut as tall as a hole as others, only about an inch, and we located them at the low spot when on the trailer and about at the water pick ups in the rear. On the top of the stringer we cut only as required for the engine mounts of the engine we are putting back in. I looks like CC cut the originals to accommodate a verity of engines. The notches for the floor battens is really your call. We are at 12" on center which worked well with the flooring material layout, seat base, and is tight enough so 1/2" material can be used. The secondary stringers follow the primary.

FrankT

So Frank, tell me more about these drain holes. I will look at my old stringer but I believe there was one on each side. Because I am pretty dumb, can you explain how to keep the water from going back in the holes to get to the secondaries? I could make it to where they would drain but the idea is to keep water out of the secondary areas, correct? Is there a plug you remove each time you finish for the day and put it back in when I take the boat out again?

Also, I saw on the BFN rebuild that they appeared to have colored the last coat of epoxy/fiberglass gray on the primary stringers. Do I have to color mine but I don't see why since the only time they would see the sun is when I open the engine cowling to take out or put in the drain plug? If I color the bilge area, maybe it should match? Let me know what you think. Thanks

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 7:18pm
Here is what I accomplished today:

This is a picture of the notch I cutout of the the beam, one in front and one in back

Here are the secondary stringers. They are not glassed in yet. I still have cross supports to install and another piece beside the exhaust hole. I also have to put the gas tank support piece on the top rear of the stringer:

Need all inputs. Have not heard from a bunch of you guys in a while.

Thanks,

scott
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 7:25pm
Looks good Scott!!

Just an FYI, the gray stringers are Coosa board. Tim is doing a composite stringer job on his boat. No wood. You do not need to do anything to yours but CPES, epoxy, and glass. And then fair and paint your bilge when done.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 8:19pm
Bevel square.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bevel square.

???????
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 8:48pm
Scott,

It looks like you're doing a good job. I notice there is still quite a bit of "color" in the bilge and I can't tell from the pictures if you glassed over it a little bit. That "color" is the pigmented resin that was talked about earlier in this thread. Make sure you aren't glassing over that as it won't adhere well. I just took the approach of grinding it off all the way to the center on mine, just to be safe.

Are you wrapping the entire stringers with glass? If so, they seem pretty squared off. You're probably going to want to round over the edges with a router. The glass lays easier on a radius than a 90.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 8:58pm

Bevel square.

???????

I suspect Alan was telling you what one of your antique tools is called.

It is the two piece flat one he is referring to.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Bevel square.

???????

Sliding bevel square:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 11:10pm

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Bevel square.

???????

Sliding bevel square:

Rosewood Brass sliding bevel square
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:25am

So Frank, tell me more about these drain holes. I will look at my old stringer but I believe there was one on each side. Because I am pretty dumb, can you explain how to keep the water from going back in the holes to get to the secondaries? I could make it to where they would drain but the idea is to keep water out of the secondary areas, correct? Is there a plug you remove each time you finish for the day and put it back in when I take the boat out again?

Also, I saw on the BFN rebuild that they appeared to have colored the last coat of epoxy/fiberglass gray on the primary stringers. Do I have to color mine but I don't see why since the only time they would see the sun is when I open the engine cowling to take out or put in the drain plug? If I color the bilge area, maybe it should match? Let me know what you think. Thanks

scott

I am not certain what your plan is - foam or no foam. I am not foaming as I am a firm believer that to preserve wood you need to let it dry. To accomplish this my removable panel behind the engine goes the full width of the boat not just the width of the primary stringers and I intend to remove it every winter to allow the sub-floor materials to dry out. The plan on the rebuild is not to try to keep the water out but to seal up the wood well and allow for any water to make it to the bilge of the boat. To accomplish this I cut drainage slots on the bottom side of the stringer. You can see them on this picture at the water pickups and close to the ski pylon.

My slots are only about an inch in height. The length is not as critical but my rear is long enough to miss the thickened area around the water pick ups and allow for an easier tape job.

Water in the bilge isn't a big problem but wood and epoxy constantly exposed to it is. Seal your wood up well to mitigate water intrusion. Please realize that epoxy itself will absorb water. Most are weight tests of a submerged piece before and after. Although typically less than 1/10th of a percent in a 24 hour period you will have even less if the water can get out.

FrankT

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:59am

Here is what I accomplished today:

This is a picture of the notch I cutout of the the beam, one in front and one in back

scott

Scott,

I would recommend that you create an epoxy fillet at the bottom of the stringer before you glass. A good rule of thumb is 1/2" radius. Some take a thin piece of wood or metal and cut the profile on the end but I have found a plastic spoon works well.

This radius will allow the tape to wet out nicely but more importantly it is structural. The strength of this joint is based upon the tensile strength of the epoxy (psi) and the thickness of material at this joint.

FrankT       

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:09pm
Pete,

I sent this same message to andy(okieboarder). Why do I think I am leaving something off or missing something? I expect to have both primaries and secondaries in place within two weeks leaving only the floor and carper and the engine which all seems easy compared to what I have been doing. If you look at what I am doing, is it the right thing to do? Have spent $1050 so far and I can expect about another $1000.

scott
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:17pm
Have you read Keeganino's thread? There is some Skier-specific info in there that you should see. The secondary stringer shape in regards to the exhaust pockets comes to mind. He started at the same place you did, and has been asking a lot of questions- so that would be a great resource for you.

Have you read any of the other stringer repair threads yet? Theres a ton of info that has been shared and documented on this site over the past few years. It would be nearly impossible to recreate every single discussion that we've had and post it in this thread. If you have the feeling that you may have missed something, then you may be right- like I suggested in the beginning, slow down and do a little bit of research before proceeding down the wrong path!

Beyond that, keep posting lots of pictures. If someone sees something wrong, they'll say so. Asking specific questions will get you specific answers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:36pm
Scott,

Some things I see that are different is you didn't grind as much of the boat as I did. I also notice your stringers seem smaller and less complicated. As Frank said, fillets. I did fillets on mine. I don't see any other differences off hand.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:45pm
Main problem I see is the bilge coat under the cloth and the lack of bare fiberglass the length of the stringer, your never going to get the inside radius and subsequent cloth that needs to go down over it and to the stringer to bond right thus weaking the stringer on the inside/middle of the boat and causing a delamination issue later on down the road.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:52pm
Scott,
I'll back up Tim here that you need to slow down, read some other threads thoroughly as well as this one. Comments like Chris's above have been made but you seem to miss them at times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic