NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 4:13pm
Scott,

The router might be a little easier. I'd say do whatever works best for you, but definitely radius the edges. I just routered my pieces before I put them in so it was done. It worked well for me.

CPES may very well be overkill, but I considered it to be for good reason. Now I know that even if I have a spot that water tries to seep in through the epoxy or glass, there is a secondary layer of protection. I'm sure that even without it the boat will hold up very well for a long time. Even the factory job, which was less than most of us are doing, lasted 20+ years in most cases.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 9:16pm
Hi everyone.

Had a pretty good day today. I found a great substitute for the front scoop air lines to replace the dryer duct garbage they put in at the factory. Found it on ebay. 3" hose, clear, 15ft. for $37.50 including shipping. I bet I called and visited over a dozen places around here and could not find anything that I wanted.

If anybody wants to see this stuff, I can show you where to find it on ebay.

Got to work tonight but do not have to return to work until monday night so I should be making some major headway this weekend. Will hopefully update you with pictures.

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 9:20pm
Got my air lines in that go from the front scoop to the bilge area. 3" is diameter and very strong. It's in another league from that dryer duct stuff from the factory and flexible unlike PVC. Bought it on ebay out of Florida. 15' for $37 with free shipping. That will give me 3-5' pieces. What do you think?

Checked the rudder and lift ring wood with a 3/4" hole saw cutout and did not see any rot so they are staying.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 10:06pm
Scott,
I'm pretty familiar with the wire reinforced PVC tubing. It is tough stuff however depending on the wall thickness (there are several) it can have a pretty big bend radius in the larger diameters. You may have to use some elbows.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 12:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
I'm pretty familiar with the wire reinforced PVC tubing. It is tough stuff however depending on the wall thickness (there are several) it can have a pretty big bend radius in the larger diameters. You may have to use some elbows.

I'll see tomorrow but the old lines that came out of the boat curved downward similar to the angle of a children's slide and leveled off towards the bulkhead. The bend was nothing like a 90 degree. You can see from the picture that this stuff rolls up into a tight ball and is pretty flexible.

On a different note, the hardest thing I have come across in this project is trying to work with the fillets at the base of the stringers. I can't seem to get a smooth texture like Okieboarder's job. I drop resin everywhere and if I don't find it, it is brick hard the next day and most of the time, I can't reach it with a sander. I had better luck today when I got my wooden stir sticks and rounded the tips of them off like a spoon and the resin/pine flour mixture I am using was a lot easier to apply. I am just glad no one will see what's underneath the floor.

It's like a lot of projects around my house. I do them once with mistakes and I am an expert the second time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

the hardest thing I have come across in this project is trying to work with the fillets at the base of the stringers. I can't seem to get a smooth texture like Okieboarder's job.

Scott,
What did you end up using for filler? Not the wood flour - you're using it for final fairing correct? It's easy to sand but very weak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:38am
Scott.   

I used a Spoonula for applying and shaping the thickened epoxy.

Pete is right, you want to be using a high strength filler adhesive in the resin for bedding and filleting. I am not sure whose product line you used, but I use West 404 for this filler.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:45am
Pete,

I don't know if I have screwed something up or not but I was just going by what the manufacturer of my epoxy resin told me to do regarding inbedding the stringers. I mixed a batch of epoxy resin and then added the pine flour to it to make a peanut butter thickness batch and then embedded the stringers in it. As far as it the epoxy/flour formula being weak, I can't say scientifically but I do know that it takes substantial grinding to remove any excess from the floor of the boat. I also spilled some on the smooth concrete floor of my workshop the other day and tried to chisel it up. I got it up but the concrete beneath it came up attached to it.

It's too late now if this is a problem as all the stringers are already in place. I hope this is not the case. I will call the epoxy guy this morning and get his take on it and post what he said.

Thanks,

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 12:08pm
What brand are you using?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 12:26pm
The company I am using is called RAKA. You can visit their website at www.RAKA.com. I used them on another project with good results.

Maybe I did everything wrong but it's really too late now. The only thing left to do requiring more of the same mixture I have been using is putting the floor down. I would throw the boat in the landfill before redoing what I have already done so it will just have to do I guess.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 12:58pm
One other thing a friend of mine said which was encouraging was:

1. The two primary stringers are just shy of 12' in length which is vastly different from a much larger ski boat or large boat for that matter.

2. In 1975, the whole boat was done in polyester resin which delaminated thus causing the wood rot.

3. I am using epoxy resin.

4. And most importantly, the primary stringers in 1975 were not embedded in anything, just fiberglassed in. The secondary stringers were just filleted in with no fiberglass at all.

I realize that this project will not win me any awards for adhereing to standard policy and procedure generally accepted stringer replacement methods but I feel extremely confident that, as this forum topic has stated, anything I do will be vastly better than was done by the factory 35 years ago.

I don't want to come across like "my way is as good as your way" and I am just posting stuff for everyone to agree with my work, I just want a good, safe and reliable boat to pull my kids with and I will continue to seek everyones input and it is appreciated.

scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 3:06pm
Hey Bud, don't take the comments personally.

Is there a better way, probably, and I would expect folks to comment to that effect since others log on and use these posts as a reference book.

Is it "all wrong" - no.

The boat will be stronger and safer than was with rotted 35 year old stringers, and 35 year old poly fiberglass technology.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you are happy with it, and there is nothing patently unsafe, then that is what's important.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 4:35pm
Scott,
Brian is absolutely correct that you will end up with a hull that's better and stronger than CC ever produced. Please don't take my comment as criticizing as it wasn't meant to be. I was actually trying to figure out why you were having problems with the filleting. Some types of fillers are easier to work.

I checked out www.RAKA.com and they do have the normal types of fillers that other suppliers have. Did you actually talk to RAKA?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
Brian is absolutely correct that you will end up with a hull that's better and stronger than CC ever produced. Please don't take my comment as criticizing as it wasn't meant to be. I was actually trying to figure out why you were having problems with the filleting. Some types of fillers are easier to work.

I checked out www.RAKA.com and they do have the normal types of fillers that other suppliers have. Did you actually talk to RAKA?

Pete/BKH,
Thanks for responding. Sometimes I do not make myself clear via my statements on this forum.

I meant to imply that the reason I was having a problem with the filleting was due to the shape of the tool(a standard stir stick from Lowes). I modified it yesterday to be more in the shape of a spoon and things worked out 100% better. I had no problem embedding the stringers, I am just not very clean in applying the filleting .

Yes, I talk with the owner of RAKA(Larry) about twice a week on the phone. He even comes in on Saturdays and sundays and I talked to him today. He did say that other products like silica(?) are better but more expensive and it puts a lot of stuff in the air, is cleaner and ultimately the best to use. However, he said that for my application, it was not necessary. He told me two stories. He has a customer in California that builds wooden boats exclusively in the $250K-$350k range and only uses pine flour when he builds them and buys it all from RAKA. He said that the wood/flour epoxy mixture actually makes the final application stronger that the wood itself. Finally, he said the best way he can describe my situation was saying that if you went to the store and bought a loaf of bread and drove a truck, you definitely have enough vehicle to get it back to your house. You would not have to borrow a dump truck to pick up the loaf of bread. You could, but it is way more than you need to do the job. The West systems 404 is the Cadillac of fillers but he apparently thinks it is not the only thing that will work.

I am fixing to start glassing if its not too cold today. This whole thing is really stressing me out and I just hope it works out. Thanks for your help as always.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Scott,
Brian is absolutel This whole thing is really stressing me out and I just hope it works out. Thanks for your help as always.
scott

You're doing great! Remember way back when you first discovered you need stringers and you didn't think you could do the job? Look at how far you've gotten! You will end up with a job you can be proud of.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:17pm
Hey Scott

I am sure it will be stronger than ever and be just fine. The words you used raised a flag with several people. We just want your boat to be sturdy. It seems you have found out it will be. I think the comments were more to verify that. If the material was substandard and your boat was going to break, you would want to know. It doesn't sound like that is the case, do don't sweat it.
Let's see more pics.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Hey Scott

I am sure it will be stronger than ever and be just fine. The words you used raised a flag with several people. We just want your boat to be sturdy. It seems you have found out it will be. I think the comments were more to verify that. If the material was substandard and your boat was going to break, you would want to know. It doesn't sound like that is the case, do don't sweat it.
Let's see more pics.

Your words are encouraging. Thanks.

It's kind of a mess inside the boat right now. Let me do a little work tomorrow and I will take some. I glassed about 6ft. of one primary today and made some more fillets. My immediate plans are to continue glassing and then start on the area under the bow with the new hose I bought on ebay. I am glassing with some medium hardner so I can only mix about 18oz at a time before it gets too hot and unmanagable.

scott
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 2:55am
RELAX!!!!
and get some pics!!!
you knoe we like em!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 9:49am
Scott,
To extend the pot life of you epoxy, mix it in a cup but then put it in a shallow pan like a roller tray. This spreads it out so the heat isn't concentrated. If you get a roller tray, get one of the nice plastic (not throw away) ones. When the left over mix cures, it will pop out of the tray when you flex/twist it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 11:10am
Isn't cellulose a sort of 'micro-fiber' version of mil-fiber? I think you're fine.

Sounds like you might have a place in your fillets that you aren't so happy with. It's worth using a sanding disk to smooth any rough spots you have(only guessing here). A rough surface will cause air pockets in the next layer and can lead to harsh language.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 1:15pm
As I recall from my countless hours of researching stringer replacement, one of the foundational, "yardstick" stringer jobs on this site featured woodflour-thickened stringer bedding. So don't sweat it. Think about all the cloth and mat holding the stringer to the floor and you'll realize how strong your new system is . . .
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 1:27pm
Thanks everyone for the encouraging news. I only wish I had the knowledge you guys had so that I could help others. Maybe after this is over, I can help somebody with a similiar project to mine.

On a new note, what do you guys think of this idea before I install it? It is a 3/4" X 2" long piece of copper tubing with a standard drain plug in the end. All the water on each side of the boat beneath the floors will drain to this plug which empties in to the bilge area. I just take this plug out at the end of the day along with its partner on the opposite side and the primary plug in the bottom and hopefully no water will stay near the stringers. The wood shown is only shown to represent the 2" primary stringer on each side:

I plan on a full recap with pictures tonight after working today.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 3:16pm
Scott,

You're looking good.

A few things that might help you that worked well for me.

1. Get a box of shims and radius the thick end of one of them to smooth your fillets out with.

2. When trying to lay the thickened epoxy, mix it up then put it in a quart sized ziploc bag and cut the corner (duct tape the corner so it won't rip). Squeeze it out of that like icing a cake, then use the radiused shim to get the nice clean radius. I always had too much and I had to go back and clean the excess at the radius edge with a stir stick. I would either try to lay it down somewhere else or wipe it with a paper towel. That's the reason you always see the Keystone Light box in my pictures. I was constantly wiping stuff as I would go and throwing the trash in the box.

3. When wetting you glass, try laying it on a plywood "table" with some of the plastic painter's drop cloth. Then pour the epoxy out on the glass and spread it / thin it. Let the pieces lay there and soak the glass, then install them in the boat. I was using a 50" roll of biax for most of mine. If you're using tape and laying the entire length out then putting on the resin, my idea won't work. If that's the case, use Pete's idea...get it out of a cup anbd spread out more...it slows down the reaction process and gives you more time before it kicks.

On a side note to that, if you work too slowly with the thickened epoxy in the ziploc it kicks on ya and kicks pretty good. I had one section where I got to cleaning and forgot I still had some in the ziploc. I probably had a couple ounces. When I remembered and picked it up, it was so hot it felt like it could burn my hand, and the ziploc seemed like it was going to melt.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 4:28pm
I don't see the point in the plugs. If you get water under the floor, why trap it in all day. Better to let it drain into the bildge, and let the bilge pump get the water out of the boat promptly. My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I don't see the point in the plugs. If you get water under the floor, why trap it in all day. Better to let it drain into the bildge, and let the bilge pump get the water out of the boat promptly. My $.02. BKH

You may be correct. My thinking was that as my bilge gets water in it and before I can pump it out with the bilge pump(actually, I have an automatic bilge pump), I don't want water running from the bilge into the stringer area and back and forth all day. I was thinking I would just plug it up to block off the water from the bilge area and only the small amount from the stringer area would drain when I am done for the day.

I have not done it yet so it's still in question. Thanks for the input.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 5:51pm
Well, after this stringer job, if your bildge get more than a drop or two per minute in the boat, then either you've taken a wake over the bow, in which case the bildge pump needs to do it's work anyway, or there is something leaking badly into your boat. Again, just my $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 7:07pm
^^Agreed^^
Mike N

1968 Mustang

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Well, after this stringer job, if your bildge get more than a drop or two per minute in the boat, then either you've taken a wake over the bow, in which case the bildge pump needs to do it's work anyway, or there is something leaking badly into your boat. Again, just my $.02. BKH

Come to think of it, we take a week each summer at a local house on the lake. My automatic bilge pump goes on and off all the time, even just sitting at the dock. It's hard to tell if you have a leak somewhere if you are skiing all day because people are in and out of your boat with water going everywhere. I have already boat that 3M 5200 sealant everyone talks about and plan on removing the aluminum rub rail around the boat and sealing the joints but where else should I look for leaks?

Maybe this is a dumb question but here goes...what does the stringer system have to do with the boat leaking somewhere? The water that rotted my stringers did not come from a leak but from umprotected wood, poor workmanship and clogged up holes due to rain and normal skiing activity. No water, in my opinion, came through the bottom or side of the boat.

Only my $.02 cetns worth, what's ya'lls?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 7:56pm
It is not the stringer job itself. It's all the other things you have or will seal when you put the boat back together.

If the boat took on water simply sitting at the dock you were leaking somewhere. Could have been leaking around the exhaust ports, or speedo tubes. May have had loose exhaust hoses. May have been leaking around the fresh water intake. May have been leaking through the tracking fin, shaft log, or rudder packing.    Your vent hoses were also probably leaking causing water to get into the foam but that would not be an issue while just sitting at the dock. Don't know if you have a swim platform, but that is another source of leakage. Since presumably, you are sealing all of these items when you put them back, very, very little water should get into the boat. Of all the things that could leak, I would think the gap under the rubrail would be the least worrisome, although you might as well seal it while you've got the boat apart.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 11:49pm

Just a few comments about these pictures:

1. Did not take any close pictures as I don't do clean work. I have not had any physical help to date on this project and I hope to fix everything before it's finished.

2. The primaries are glassed but 50% of the secondaries are not, yet.

3. The exhaust pieces on the back still need to be glassed.

4. The bilge area is about 90% sanded but no bilgecoat or resin is down.

5. The bulkhead is not set and neither is the hole drilled out for the electrical, rudder, bilge hose, ect...

6. Some of the boards are set in place for the picture only and some have yet to be made, set and glassed.

7. I ruined my transducer for my humminbird in-dash(you can barely see it on the dash in the hoses picture) so I will be selling the unit on ebay and replacing it with a white one.

8. Yes, I used different kinds of wood for the secondaries. It's a long story.

Lesson's learned so far:

Always wear a mask and eye protection
Don't get in a hurry. Walk away and calm down.
Don't wear any decent clothes during this project.
Anything that looks simple can be the hardest thing you have attempted.
Watch where you sit and step while glassing.
Supplies are real expensive these days.
Saws are sharp and dangerous. When in doubt, do something different.
I am not trying to win a prize, just have a safe and reliable boat.

And finally,

Any questions you have, visit www.correctcraftfan.com for the answers. I would be totally lost with you guys.

Blessings,

scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic