Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:23pm
BN you are in the Cleveland area...we boat Portage LAkes/berlin/Milton in the summer...Where about are you?
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:58pm
I would be hesitant to tow with a minivan or anything else with a car based frame and FWD... but the towing capacity on the Sedona looks pretty good. The Cleveland area is pretty flat, so you may be ok. Im one who strongly prefers 4WD on the ramp, but I know many do without it. If you decide to go for it, do get the Class III hitch.

That being said, if youre shopping for a new vehicle, Id look for something built to tow- especially if youre going to go far distances or are planning to tow more than a few times a year. A small or midsize SUV would be plenty for that '99, which should weigh in the neighborhood of 3500lbs with the trailer. Something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Grand Cherokee/etc would be fine (I have a V8 4Runner). No need to go full size truck or SUV unless you need the room for the family.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:40pm
Hey Bob,
I use for my 1985 Ski Nautique 2001, I have 2007 Chevy Silverdo with a 4.8 with the 390 rear end. I have no trouble towing my boat up most ramps steep or shallow ramps. My boat I think weights in the neighbor hood of 2,800-3,000 pds.
A 99 Nautique is heavier and the Kia probally will not be enough, escpically if the lake you go to has shallow or steep ramps. I would be looking at any extended cab truck or crew cab with a V8 will work.

My opionion, but I like to make sure I can get up any ramp. I put mine in 1st or 2nd gear and she just crawls up the ramp no probs or spin outs or anything. Get ya a truck tho..

Lee
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 2:47pm
Hey Everyone,

As I consider purchasing a ski nautique (1999), what kind of vehicle should I consider towing it? I have a 2002 Kia Sedona Minivan with towing capacity of 3500 lbs. with a class III hitch rated for 5500 pounds. Will the 195HP 3.6 ltr. V6 on this van be able to handle the tow? or should I consider a larger engine? Thanks for suggestions.

Bob
Bob B.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic