NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plan B: Rust Mitigation on Ram-Lin

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plan B: Rust Mitigation on Ram-Lin
    Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:00pm
So, now that the boat is on a lift and the trailer is in my driveway, I'm finally going to do some rust mitigation. What I'm doing is buying time, not doing a full resto. I just spent a LOT of money on a boat lift so I'd like to go the cheap route on the trailer for now. I figure if I can get the major rust chunks off the trailer (after removing the bunks and side steps) I can get those spots down to bare metal somehow, then prime and paint with rattle can paint. Yes it's the easy way out. Yes, it's cheap and half-assed, but the trailer needs some intervention/help before it goes too far. This is a temporary fix to hold off major repairs or a new trailer purchase a few years down the road. It took 10 years to get this bad, so I figure I can buy 5 years easily.

Questions:

1. What tool is used to get down to bare metal? Wire brush on a drill? I have no air tools/compressor.

2. Can I roughly get it down to bare metal, then use a rust converter, then prime and paint? I'm guessing the rusty metal surface has "scalloped" or divoted a bit (golf ball surface comes to mind) such that major metal removal would have to occur to get it rust-free and level. Not sure here.

3. How do I re-attach the bunks on this closed-box frame? Wider self tappers?

I'm going to have to get new fenders from Ram-Lin since mine are completely perished.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:05pm
Electric grinder with some 80 grit paper. Cheap fix, put some POR-15 on it. Could take it to a welding shop, let them grind it and then put some metal on top and bottom. But do get the POR-15, that stuff is the bomb.Go on the POR-15 website and read up on it.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:09pm
Suggest an angle grinder with a wire cup brush vs the drill.

If your down to bare metal a rustoleum primer should be all you need first coat. I think the rust converter can inhibut adhesion when you have bare metal.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:12pm
Phosphoric acid after you hit it with the grinder.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:27pm
Joel,
The above are all good ideas. Ether the por-15 or the Rust-Oleum (for rusty metal) would be my choice. No on the so called "rust converters". Yes, adhesion is a problem unless you use a latex paint!!

Inside the box tubing, I'd put a sponge on a long stick, pour oil on it and swab it back and forth.

On the self tappers, they are just a poor excuse for fastening bunks!! I'd drill all the way through the tubing and use some plates the same width of the tubing on the bottom.

Sorry I missed you this last weekend. Things got busy especially since my wife had "signed me up" for several social engagements!! I had to leave my truck up at Eagle River Service. Still the same problem of intermittent stopping/dieing. New injector pump and ECM 15K ago. New lift pump 4 weeks ago. New fuel supply and return line 1 week ago.

What did you end up with for a lift? Where did you find it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd drill all the way through the tubing and use some plates the same width of the tubing on the bottom.

Now you have 2 rusty holes and comprimised strength. You're not missing any hold down strength of the bunk with a screw.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:55pm
I don't have an angle grinder either. Harbor Freight time!

Pete, yes, got the lift- see my old docks and lifts thread for an update. Shoot me your email address (I keep losing it) and I'll send you some pics! The SN hovering 4 feet above the water under a matching beige canopy is a beautiful sight.

HW, I thought the same thing regarding drilling straight through.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:36am
Joel, I have an angle grinder you can borrow. I'll even drop it off on my way to work. Just let me know.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 3:01am
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Joel, I have an angle grinder you can borrow. I'll even drop it off on my way to work. Just let me know.

Kurt, I'll take it ASAP!

Stripped down one side of the trailer. Looks like I did this just in time, and I'm very glad that my tetanus shots are up to date. This thing looks like it went down with the Titanic.

Lots of good news though: 1) almost all of the bunk bolts were very tight and still had plenty of metal to bite into, 2) the bunk boards themselves are in terrific shape, practically brand new looking, 3) the trailer has not been structurally compromised at this point.

Had I let this go even a couple more years, this trailer would have been junk. However, at this point I just have a lot of very nasty surface rust. I have definitely fixed things that weren't broken before but I think even the people that know me best would say that this was necessary intervention. The worst part of the project has been pulling the staples out of the bunks, of which there are approximately 100 billion. Hopefully this is a quick turnaround project.

Also, I will have to order new fenders, which are 130.00 each. Lil' expensive, but I don't really have much of a choice.

Fender:

Looks worse than it is, but you can see that it was time:

Amazingly this is all still solid metal

Note all the rust on the floor

Solid structure, nice torsion axle
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 9:05am
Joel,
pbrainard@wistool.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 9:09am
If you need to borrow my welder for a weekend let me know. 110v
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 10:53am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

If you need to borrow my welder for a weekend let me know. 110v

I don't know how to weld but if I did, that would be awesome! I might be OK for now but I'll keep it in mind.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:13am
M3Fan, Joel ,
Do a search on e-bay for your fenders. Got mine for $20 for the pair,FREE Shipping from Florida to NC!!
You gonna put diamond plate or metal for the side steps, instead of putting wood back down?

E-mail me

mtmabe@northstate.net
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:24am
Not too impressed with Ram lin trailers by the looks of Joels and others I've seen on here.Sad state of affairs when the stuff they pass off for wood these days is in better shape than the steel.I wonder how bad their rusting inside the box sections. Won't be finding these in a field and fixing them up,right Pete?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Not too impressed with Ram lin trailers by the looks of Joels and others I've seen on here.Sad state of affairs when the stuff they pass off for wood these days is in better shape than the steel.I wonder how bad their rusting inside the box sections. Won't be finding these in a field and fixing them up,right Pete?

You know, I used to think that but in disassembling this trailer I have to say that it is really well built. The metal is surprisingly thick and the welds are really nice. Structurally this thing is a beast. The paint is super-thick. All the bolts holding the non-structural things on are stainless. I would say that in just about every way they are over-built. Heck, the metal holding the carpet steps on is probably 50% rusted away and there is still plenty of meat on those bones. The only killer is the carpet. We also launch our boat at least once a week so the trailer never dries out during the entire summer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:39pm
Maybe then they just didn't spend the money on good corrosion resistant primer and top coats then. The last new boat I bought, I paid extra for a galvanized trailer just so I would not have to deal with this problem. You should be out having fun at the new place instead of working on a rusty trailer in Illinois anyway!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:11pm
I second the POR-15 for the rusty bits that are not rotted away and are solid. That stuff works very well. I've used it on rusty jeep frames and it works very well.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I second the POR-15 for the rusty bits that are not rotted away and are solid. That stuff works very well. I've used it on rusty jeep frames and it works very well.

Called my local paint supply place and they have POR-15. I'm familiar with the name since the guys on the old BMW forums I frequent also love it. Definitely the right tool for this job!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:47pm
Powder coated!!!! The EPA did the job on us!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 3:22pm
Probably used an inexpensive powder coat process.

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 4:40pm
I used POR 5 years ago on my motorcycle has tank. POR is still rock solid. Awesome stuff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim,
What's the expensive process that would overcome the rusting problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 5:14pm

Tim,

When they Pcoated trailers 5-10 years ago they probably got done welding and then shot the Pcoat on them and threw them in the oven. A quick way to make it look good.

Today a top notch powder coater will wash down the item, then wash it again with a phosphoric acid wash to nuetralize rust.

Once that is done a Pcoat primer rich in zinc will go on the part and it gets half baked. After the primer comes the topcoat at a higher temp bake.

An inexpensive PCoat process will let corrosion run underneath the powdercoat.

Without a rust converter such as phosphoric acid, you really are just painting over rust.

My guess is that POR15 has some kind of phosphoric acid (or similar) in it to convert the rust as you paint.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 9:34pm

Tim,

Tim,
This was sort of a trick question. I was curious how much you knew about powder coating. We make lots of parts that get set out for the process and there was even a time when I was handling the engineering to put in our own line.

You are absolutely correct that a phosphate treatment will improve the coating but sandblasting plus the phosphate would even be better. However, we sure know trailer manufacturers don't go to that extent! The bottom line is the powder coat process has poor adhesion no matter what you do. I see our powder coater usually every week and he always makes the analogy of a plastic grip on pliers - it doesn't stick and it comes off!! ANY place the coating doesn't cover like corners or crevices and cracking in high flex areas will allow water to get under the powder. Then it starts!!

Wet paint primers are said to be a chemical bond and by far superior but then we get into the VOC issue with the EPA!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 3:13pm
Quick update- did about 6 hours on the trailer this weekend. Stripped all the rust down (on the side fairings it came off in sheets) with hand tools for the bigger chunks and then with Kurt's angle grinder/wire wheel combo. The angle grinder/ wire wheel is basically a tool straight from hell and it does a great job. I'm glad I still have my sight, hearing and all 10 fingers after using that thing with a full face shield and hearing protection.

Picked up a quart of POR-15 and laid it down. This stuff is really the key to the whole project. It dries to a ROCK HARD glossy finish, and prefers rusty surfaces for adhesion. Reminds me of a powdercoated finish. I then put down a coat of rattle-can Rustoleum over that since POR-15 is not UV tolerant and I only used it on the rusty areas. The trailer is clearly NOT going to be a looker after this hasty rust-eration but it should hold up for another 10 years of use, easily. I did some very shoddy masking on the trailer so it's like half factory finish, half Rust-oleum finish, but I'm working on a tight sked here. I'm also holding off on the 260.00 fender replacement for now. Those can be bolted on later. I'll put up some pics when I finish. Pete, Alan, et. al will have to avert their eyes from the pictures to prevent retinal burning.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 3:20pm
Fenders on e-bay.

Surf it dude!! It's worth it!!!

This is the store on e-bay that mine came from. The only difference were mine were scratch-n-dent sale. But the dents were on the backing plate and the scratches were minor!

Then a little bit of measuring for new weld on brackets to the trailer and you're all set!!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 3:32pm
Ah, my mistake- I was searching for Ram-Lin, which netted zero results.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The angle grinder/ wire wheel is basically a tool straight from hell

LMAO.. yes it can have a pretty mean bite and can throw those little wires about 20 feet!!! Safety gear for sure and a nice set of leather gloves. Protect everything, nothing is sacred for that little bugger.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The angle grinder/ wire wheel is basically a tool straight from hell

LMAO.. yes it can have a pretty mean bite and can throw those little wires about 20 feet!!! Safety gear for sure and a nice set of leather gloves. Protect everything, nothing is sacred for that little bugger.

I'll add that POR-15 is also basically liquid evil. It doesn't come off of anything, and is immune to all solvents. It's thick, nasty, liquid death, basically. I felt like I was playing that old board game "Operation" as I painted various parts of the trailer. At one point I bumped my head on a wet portion of the frame- that was a mad scramble for acetone and rags before it tried in my hair. I tried pouring some of it in a 16oz Solo cup and it melted the cup. Very serious ***************. One hell of a finish, though.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 1:03am
Be sure to get some type of topcoat for the trailer. The POR has little to no UV screener and will chalk out. Also, I bought a pair of trailer fenders from Farm and Fleet I think they were $15 ea. If you want I'll measure them up.
My Blue 82SOLD!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic