NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plan B: Rust Mitigation on Ram-Lin

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

Be sure to get some type of topcoat for the trailer. The POR has little to no UV screener and will chalk out.

I think he might have addressed this ..

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I then put down a coat of rattle-can Rustoleum over that since POR-15 is not UV tolerant and I only used it on the rusty areas.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 12:58pm
I am coming in late on this thread. I redid my trailer last year. It wasnt as bad as yours. The wet carpet is what is killing the trailer. I went back with Al on mine. I cleaned up the rust just as you did, and used a Rustoleum paint. Several coats using a brush. Not as pretty as a spray can. I kept the carpet on the inside of the fenders as the boat can hit these.

I used a trailer light rubber grommet where the guide pole goes thru the Al.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:05pm
How'd you get those aluminum steps cut like that? Cost? I was going to throw the sh*tty carpet ones back on, at least temporarily.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:18pm
Don't forget you have to get a 5 x 10 sheet of metal.
Wherever you get the metal from they'll cut it.
Mine was $175 for the aluminum diamond plate 5' x 10'- and they cut it with a plasma cutter. They did a bad job, I complained and he took $25 off. I then put the black trim loc on the edges.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:31pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:39pm
I had a friend cut them for me. Pretty tedious to get it right. Mine looks good, not perfect. The edge is sanded and rounded. I like Marty's idea of the Trim Loc.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:40pm
Good call on the POR. I used that stuff on the oil pan on my diesel truck. It was rusting and starting to seep. It took a week to prep, but worth it DEFINITELY! If the POR wasn't good enough, I used some epoxy putty over some areas. Then for added insurance, I scuffed the POR and sprayed 1/2 a can of rustoleum in several coats. Working on your trailer would be a piece of cake, imagine doing all that around your steering linkage, wiring harnesses, axle, etc!!! That POR basically welded that pan onto the block!

I am glad you addressed your trailer early like you did. Now you will have some pretty good protection for many years. I know of guys that sprayed POR out of a air gun and got beautiful results with car like finishes. You can always bulletproof your paintjob like that in 5 years!

Nice work!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:49pm
One feature that I think helps kill these trailers are/is the staples on the underside of the bunks holding the carpet on. Imagine a 2500lb boat bouncing around on the bunks for 10 years, sandwiching the bunk underside and staple heads directly into the painted frame. Over time, the staples probably wear away the paint and presto- the carpet is right there to hold in the moisture and start the conversion to Fe2o3 on the frame rails. That's why the outer edge of the frame was in worse shape than the inner frame, I'd bet. However, I think that not hiding those staples under the bunks and cutting the carpet rather than wrapping it under on the outside of the bunks will look terrible. Thoughts/solutions?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 3:12pm
A hand held "Skill" saw with a carbide tipped blade works wonders on diamond plate. Just use a straight edge for a guide and wear safety glasses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 3:58pm
I did these running boards and fenders with the "Skill" saw and a hand break. (and a TIG) No need for edge trim because all the edges are turned down. Plus, you'll always be catching it with feet/shoes pulling it off! Edge trim also doesn't like to go over the "diamonds". If you get it sized for the diamonds then it's too loose in between. If sized for the base thickness then it wants to come off at the diamonds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 4:54pm
Silicone the trim loc to the edges! But I didn't do that. Mine's staying on pretty well for now.

As for the carpet, I stapled mine on the inside of the bunk, wrapped it under the bunk, lag bolted the bunk to the trailer, continued the carpet over the top of the bunk,back to the inside of the boards, then stapled again. All staples are then on the inside of the bunks,and can't be seen, with the boat on the trailer or off the trailer. Somebody says I shouldn't have went under the bunk, because the water holding in the carpet, but I'll see in another 20 years or so. It's not like your using the trailer to ski around the lake all day, it's out drying in the parking lot, or some only see the water at the beginning of the season and then the end of it.
But hey, we live and learn. So we can decipher this mess in another 20 years.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:00pm
Marty,
You really want me to get going on the silicone subject??? Since you've missed why I dislike the stuff, it doesn't stick!! At least go with a polyurethane like 5200 or 4200. It's adhesion is by far superior.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

As for the carpet, I stapled mine on the inside of the bunk, wrapped it under the bunk, lag bolted the bunk to the trailer, continued the carpet over the top of the bunk,back to the inside of the boards, then stapled again. All staples are then on the inside of the bunks,and can't be seen, with the boat on the trailer or off the trailer. Somebody says I shouldn't have went under the bunk, because the water holding in the carpet, but I'll see in another 20 years or so. It's not like your using the trailer to ski around the lake all day, it's out drying in the parking lot, or some only see the water at the beginning of the season and then the end of it.
But hey, we live and learn. So we can decipher this mess in another 20 years.

This makes sense. I like this idea better than staple heads directly contacting trailer frame.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 12:11pm
How time flies when you are "in the zone" on a project. I started on the bunk re-carpeting at about 9PM. When I finished I walked back in the house and it was 12:30AM. Very surprising/shocking, especially when my alarm went off at 5:20 AM.

Bunks look outstanding. Went with the factory staple-under-then-flap-over technique. I even added the strip of "padding" carpet atop the bunks before flapping the main carpet over, giving the bunks that rounded factory look.

Here is how strong POR-15 is: I wanted to use a little bit to dip each screw in so that the holes would be that much less prone to future rust. The lid of the POR-15 was SO FUSED to the can that the inner lip of the can actually completely pulled inside out and deformed before the top popped off. Incredible. Basically, the container must be destroyed to re-open the can!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 1:16pm
Oh, I forgot to mention, I used a Dewalt air stapler.
The POR-15----yes upon opening you must use it all or the way I did it was to take a plastic baggie, make sure no POR-15 is dripped where the lid goes, put the plastic baggie, then hammered the top on. Mine held up for 7 months. I was lucky. So yes, you only buy what you need on this and no extra.
66 Skylark
93 SN
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:46pm
Thanks to Marty and others for the valuable information in this thread, I'm now thinking I'm ready to tackle my own trailer restoration.

I have a 1993 single axle that's in decent shape and looks identical to MartyMabe's with very little rust. I'm thinking it's a Ramlin? I'll try and post some pictures.

I do however have some preliminary questions:

Rust - very minor on the "tabs" that the wood side steps bolt to and some appears to be existent under the bunks but I have not removed these yet. I'm thinking I can probably brush off with a wire brush or power tool. How are the bunk boards attached to the frame?

Fenders - Mine appear to be bolted on via square "tabs" on the front and back side of the wheel. Marty - The fenders you showed on ebay don't seem to have these. How did you connect your new fenders?

Actuator - It would appear that replacing my actuator would be fairly straight forward however I'm wondering about the brakes. Once you install the replacement and connnect the brake line, is there a process for bleeding the brakes?

Turnbuckle - My trailer did not have one but rather, the previous owner had attached a chain. If the nose of the boat isn't snug into the bow stop, it will porpoise somewhat over bumps which makes me nervous. I've heard negative things about the original turnbuckles. Comments?

Thanks for your help guys.

Doug Miracle
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:47pm
Go at the rust places with a hand-held grinder with 80 grit paper if possible. Get POR-15 or some kind of rust-inhibitor paint and you'll be fine.

There are lag screws under the carpet on the bunks, about 10 or 12 of them. You might have to replace some or all of these.

As for the fenders, yes you have to get some more 'tabs' cut to weld to the fenders to mount. I had to make mine about an inch longer(wider), because my fenders were more rounded than elongated.

Because of the limited space on this site to post pics, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you all the pics you want to look at before you get started!
66 Skylark
93 SN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:44am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Because of the limited space on this site to post pics, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you all the pics you want to look at before you get started!

hey Marty what about using photobucket?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:39am
Marty - sent you a pm with my e-mail address. Thanks for the offer of pictures.
Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:24pm
For whatever it's worth, I contacted Ramlin to get prices from them on 1993 trailer parts. Was referred to Orlando CC. Here's the pricing:

Fenders (painted black, galvanized, or raw steel)- $100 each
Turnbuckle - $64
Actuator - $342 (Whoa!!)
Bunk Carpet - $26 per roll, 12,14,16 inch widths/19 - 23 feet lengths
LED light replacements - $44 light bar, $15 side lights, $26 tail lights

They also sent me the attached measurement template for the fenders...

Doug
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:45pm
Fenders----E-bay   $20 for the pair
Bunk Carpet-E-bay, but was too short, so Lowe's 2' x 25'     $20
LED lights--E-bay rear ovals
            2 red markers
            4 yellow markers
        $35 for the whole set   E-bay
POR-15 Rep gave me a pint FREE!
Diamond plate $150 local dealer
Trim-Loc   ---E-bay 75' roll   $20

$245-$250 total
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by dmiracle dmiracle wrote:

Marty - sent you a pm with my e-mail address. Thanks for the offer of pictures.

Doug,

try e-mail address

mtmabe@northstate.net

pm seems to not work at times

66 Skylark
93 SN
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 6:16pm
Haha!

Thought my post would make you feel good Marty. You forgot to add "Money left in my pocket - PRICELESS"

my email - dougmiracle@gmail.com
Doug
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 6:22pm
actuator

Oh! I forgot to mention. Didn't know the extent on my brakes,wheel cylinders so I began bidding on the pair of bolt-on backing plates,wheel cylinders, brake shoes, etc, everything included, just bolt in on,, and I won it! $25 FREE SHIPPING from Wisconsin

No one else bid on it, so I've got it for future use I guess!
66 Skylark
93 SN
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 7:28pm
I'm not as good as Marty is when it comes to huntin' the bargains but I thought I'd share what I felt was a pretty good source for the OEM (Peterson Manufacturing)lights on my 93" CC trailer.

Below is the list of all new replacement parts with prices that I've ordered today from www.foxtaillights.com/

Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 7:30pm
BTW....

I know I have a lashing coming from Pete regarding the clips. I'm ready to take it like a man but hey......they're original, I get points for that don't I?
Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by dmiracle dmiracle wrote:

BTW....

I know I have a lashing coming from Pete regarding the clips. I'm ready to take it like a man but hey......they're original, I get points for that don't I?

Doug,
You're cool! I just never liked the clips. Yes, very original but practicality is involved when it comes down to wiring up a trailer. I've just seen too many problems with them and yes, as mentioned they gouge into the paint. Chris's idea with the electric tape is a good one. Seems he's on the same page as I am plus, just as anal!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 4:30pm
Can anyone tell me what size brake/backing plates to purchase for the 1993 Trailer?

Thanks.
Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 5:54pm
Bumping this question up in hopes of the correct size backing plates for my 1993 trailer.

Thanks guys.
Doug
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 1:57am
brakes
I'll check Saturday. I think it's the 12". You can measure your drum. Inside diameter and that will give you the needed info.

Still check e-bay!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic