Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1st post and its an important one! Help me find...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st post and its an important one! Help me find...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Actually, Billy,   There are certain aspects of plywood boat restoration that are more difficult than plank.

Your fitting the whole sheet, instead of each individual plank.

Also on a Correct Craft, you have to decide, 2 piece sides, or the more original 1 piece.
1 piece requires finding someone who can scarf join plywood sheets. Fitting a full length side can be quite the challenge for a novice boat builder. Especially when it comes to bending and fitting the full width around towards the bow.
There used to be a place in St.Louis that was capable of doing 18 inch scarfs.

AT

Yes the scarf is a problem with todays ply face veneer being around a 1/64" thick when bright finished. The ply needs to be pre stained and sealed, the scarf cut and epoxied, then clamped and any excess epoxy solvent wiped off.

Al,
I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process and not easy!!!

In the "good old days", the face veneer was a 1/8" thick - special for the scarf. Plenty of sanding room!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:41pm
Pete,   There probably is a few places left. One would just have to start searching. A good place to start would be looking for high-end cabinet builders.
I would not recommend a do-it-yourself scarf joint. I would also advise against any stain between the joint.

AT

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:50pm
Al'
Read again!! I never said stain/seal the actual scarf!! I said pre stain seal the panel face. Then cut your scarf.

BTW, I've been all over!! Why would cabinet builders need sheets of ply over 8'?? Also, some species of ply are available in 10' sheets. You are really out of "tune" regarding the subject!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 5:30pm
Not saying need, saying capability.

AT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Al'
Read again!! I never said stain/seal the actual scarf!! I said pre stain seal the panel face. Then cut your scarf.

BTW, I've been all over!! Why would cabinet builders need sheets of ply over 8'?? Also, some species of ply are available in 10' sheets. You are really out of "tune" regarding the subject!!

Not saying need, saying capability.

AT

Really? I still don't understand why a cabinet maker would have the "capability" when there is no "need". A scarf isn't even in their vocabulary!! Please explain.
BTW, have you ever scarfed?? I have!!!! And bright finished!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:05pm
Outfit that sells scarfed 4 x 16' right up the road from me

Boulter Marine Plywood
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:17pm
Pete, a fellow might want to accent a table top with an ebony inlay. He could cut 1 strip from a 10' plank of ebony or cut a bunch from a 1' block. I can't imagine how much a 10' piece of ebony would cost...if you could find one. And yes, it's a different application.

I did think of a pair of jigs since we talked about it way back that might work on a wide belt sander. The sander would have to be big enough to not be a drum type along with a few other details like width. Otherwise I suppose it would be a long knife and a guillotine set-up? I've never seen the established meathod.

Maybe/hopefully I'll need to figure it out someday.   

Edit-Larry fixed it!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Boulter Marine Plywood

Larry,
Thanks, The next time you're going down the road, ask them about bright finishing their scarfed ply. I went to the link and saw the picture of their scarf. Sorry but from what I saw, the glue used to make the scarf is very evident on both sides of the scarf and this will prevent the wood from taking a stain. That's the big problem!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 11:20pm
Pete,   High-End maybe the words you missed. These are the shops that do more than just cabinets. Spiral Staircases, Elaborate Doorways, Display Cases etc...   Get the idea?   Things that would be found in multi-million dollar homes.
So saying there is no "need" is rather silly.

I also looked at Boulter's scarf. Looks good. The remaining glue shouldn't be a problem for a talented wood person.

I would much rather use scarfed ply, than to have an ugly visible butt block on the interior.   Wouldn't you?

Quoting your above statement.    "BTW, have you ever scarfed? I have!!! And bright finished!!!
What's that all about?   Need a Medal?
Actually I have not scarfed plywood. We subbed out scarfing to professionals that did that every day and had the equipment to do it right.   And yes I have bright finished scarfed ply.   Also I have scarf joined more keels than I care to count.

Regarding being "out of tune"    I also build guitars.

Larry, Good link, Thanks.

AT
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:10am

Boulter Marine Plywood

Larry,
Thanks, The next time you're going down the road, ask them about bright finishing their scarfed ply. I went to the link and saw the picture of their scarf. Sorry but from what I saw, the glue used to make the scarf is very evident on both sides of the scarf and this will prevent the wood from taking a stain. That's the big problem!!

I always wondered about that Pete, and especially after you taked about doing the finishing prior to doing the scarfing. I wonder if the sloppy glue job could be sanded down to take a bright finish. In teh many year ongoing thinking about building a boat, is scarf and bright or scarf and paint or butt and bright (bright is my preference although painted hull and bright deck is an option too. Another factor....transporting a 16 foor long piece of wood and then, as mentioned above, handling it could be a challenge too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 5:52am

I wonder if the sloppy glue job could be sanded down to take a bright finish.

There's just not enough face veneer thickness on todays ply to sand. It's typically around 1/64". It you sand to far, then you're into the glue line at the next layer and this too inhibits the wood from taking a stain.

The ply used on my X55 was a special order. The outside face veneer is 1/8" thick.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 6:27am

Pete,   High-End maybe the words you missed. These are the shops that do more than just cabinets. Spiral Staircases, Elaborate Doorways, Display Cases etc...   Get the idea?   Things that would be found in multi-million dollar homes.
So saying there is no "need" is rather silly.

Al,
I've been this route as well. I didn't miss "high end"! We have two members in our chapter that I have discussed the scarf issue with. One owns a very "high end" architectural millwork shop doing work in multi million dollar homes in our Lake Geneva area. He also is big time into boat restoration Lange custom woodworking The second is all architectural millwork mostly large commercial jobs like a bank or exec offices. Both agree the bright finished scarf with todays ply is a problem and that the stain and seal before cutting the scarf is the only way.

Both also commented that a scarf isn't needed in ether the cabinet or architectural millwork areas. It's pretty much restricted to the ply marine hull area.

I also looked at Boulter's scarf. Looks good. The remaining glue shouldn't be a problem for a talented wood person.

It may look good to you maybe but I'd worry? Get some stain on it and see what happens!

I would much rather use scarfed ply, than to have an ugly visible butt block on the interior.   Wouldn't you?

Absolutely! Plus with a butt block you will always have a problem with the outside seam.

Quoting your above statement.    "BTW, have you ever scarfed? I have!!! And bright finished!!!
What's that all about?   Need a Medal?
Actually I have not scarfed plywood. We subbed out scarfing to professionals that did that every day and had the equipment to do it right.   And yes I have bright finished scarfed ply.   Also I have scarf joined more keels than I care to count
AT

Al,
Sorry this wasn't meant to be insulting in any way but merely to stress the complexity of scarfing ply for a bright finish. You didn't seem to understand that. However, now you stating you subbed out your scarf work to professionals explains a lot.

I wish the ply scarf was as easy as doing a keel that's hidden anyway!! Plenty of filled epoxy goes a long way!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 8:57am

Al,
Is this the picture you looked at off Boucher's site? It looks pretty bad to me!!!??? keep in mind that they always put the best picture up for viewing on a site!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 9:32am
Here's a older close up picture of one of the scarfs on my X55.

This picture was taken after a refinish, new spray rails and fresh bottom paint. Not a close up but at any distance past a couple feet, the scarf isn't even noticeable. You won't get this with a butt block butt joint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
compact_skier_2B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compact_skier_2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:24pm
gentleman...I go to the St. Lawrence river for a week and you send my thread off on a serious side course...

I enjoy your comments and my new question is "WHAT IS SCARFING!!!!"

So much talk about it would lead me to believe its some sort of high end way to join plywood together length wise?

Thanks,

Nate
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:46pm
Nate.
A scarf joint is a long bevel that's cut on end of two pieces of wood. Usually in a 8 to 10 ratio of wood thickness to the length of the bevel. Depending on the adhesive and if the bevels are cut accurately, the joint is stronger than the wood itself.

You say you don't mind a restoration project but I need to ask about your woodworking skill level. Are you sure you want a wood boat? A scarf is a pretty basic joint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compact_skier_2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 1:10pm
Pete,
I don't mind a project...does knowing the term scarf determine the quality of ones ability to fabricate? No I have never done a scarf but by the sounds of the back and forth in this thread I would say you are the only one who has performed a scarf and admitted yourself that it is a very difficult process to perform correctly...now you call it a basic joint??
I could read all the forums in the world and not be any better at wood/mechanical work...the way I learn is to do. Not to say I don't appreciate all the excellent information I have been given thus far on the forum, I just feel you may be a little quick to judge based on my question about a basic term.
Keep the help, info, and opinions coming!

Nate
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by compact_skier_2B compact_skier_2B wrote:

Pete,
I don't mind a project...does knowing the term scarf determine the quality of ones ability to fabricate? No I have never done a scarf but by the sounds of the back and forth in this thread I would say you are the only one who has performed a scarf and admitted yourself that it is a very difficult process to perform correctly...now you call it a basic joint??
I could read all the forums in the world and not be any better at wood/mechanical work...the way I learn is to do. Not to say I don't appreciate all the excellent information I have been given thus far on the forum, I just feel you may be a little quick to judge based on my question about a basic term.

Nate

Nate,
Sorry. My wording was not very good. I was trying to determine your woodworking skill level and it came across sounding insulting. That's wasn't the intent.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that doing is learning!

A scarf is one of the basic joints although it's very old and not used very much anymore and consequently forgotten. The only two places it's still used is in boat building/repair and lengthening plywood. As you've read, the basic ply scarf isn't a big challenge for a woodworker until that ply becomes bright finished.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 5:33pm
Wow!    The only point I was focusing on, the fact that you stated at 12:17pm    " I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process, and not easy!!!"

Larry found a place in only a matter of a few hours!

Now you say "isn't a big challenge"

As for stain, one must know how to make wood accept stain.

As for your other comment. One must also know when to out-source a process to produce the highest quality end result.
And "Filler in a keel?"   Surely you jest!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 5:50pm

Wow!    The only point I was focusing on, the fact that you stated at 12:17pm    " I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process, and not easy!!!"

Larry found a place in only a matter of a few hours!

Now you say "isn't a big challenge"

As for stain, one must know how to make wood accept stain.

As for your other comment. One must also know when to out-source a process to produce the highest quality end result.
And "Filler in a keel?"   Surely you jest!

Al,
It has become quite obvious that you are way beyond my level of talent. Thanks for your input.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 6:32pm
Pete, I have seen the work you do, and the talent's you hide inside that brain of your's. Thank you for the many tips you have provided .
I have never done a scarf, but the time is growing near to raise the bar.Plastic does not scare me,mat and gel will hide a lot .But to perform a proper joint that will accept a stain and not show is a thing of beauty........Boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compact_skier_2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 8:27pm

Originally posted by compact_skier_2B compact_skier_2B wrote:

Pete,

Nate

Nate,
Sorry. My wording was not very good. I was trying to determine your woodworking skill level and it came across sounding insulting. That's wasn't the intent.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that doing is learning!

A scarf is one of the basic joints although it's very old and not used very much anymore and consequently forgotten. The only two places it's still used is in boat building/repair and lengthening plywood. As you've read, the basic ply scarf isn't a big challenge for a woodworker until that ply becomes bright finished.

Thanks Pete! Its not that I am even claiming to be a good wood worker I was more referencing someone who may be very good at such talents but not completely versed in the full technical lingo (even though in most cases the two would go hand in hand).

I will continue my search for a correct craft be it wood or glass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compact_skier_2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:14pm
Well I am trying hard to get this one as it is only 3 hrs away but I don't think I will win the auction...looks like someone else is running up the bids against me (probably someone from this site : ) )

ebay link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:26pm
Nate,
Something may be wrong with your link. It takes me to a ebay page that states the item has been removed.

When posting a link, use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the world icon at the top and the first window that comes up is where you want to describe the link. Click ok and you'll get another window. This is where you want to paste the copied address. Then click ok again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:33pm
I did find it by doing a ebay search. Here's the link That is a Compact! Overall it doesn't look like it's in that bad of a condition however, it looks like the bottom has been fiberglassed. Not good!! He's ether off on his HP or the CI. I'd say it's the CI because the 200 was never marinized.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compact_skier_2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:43pm
Thanks for posting the link Pete...I want that little baby. I noticed the hull and I did email him about it asking what the situation was and if he could take more detailed pics below the water line.

I'll keep you posted.

Nate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic