NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 14>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #2 trailer work
    Posted: September-09-2010 at 6:25pm
Ok guys, I've got an appt to have some new springs made for my #2 trailer. I think i'm going to have a new axle put on while i'm at it. If I remember correctly the original was 2,000# or so. I was thinking of going up to 2,800# range. Both the axle and springs look to be pretty played out.   Below is a picture of what it looks like right now with the Tique on it. I have the guides, but they will need some work as they are rusted at the bases.

Any suggestions of what size axle to put on it or any other info I should know before I take it in?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 6:43pm
Chris, I looked into this when I went through my 2 #2's a few years ago. You will find that most axles/hubs will carry a rating around 2200, then it goes up to 3500, and then 5000. Hubs will follow these ratings, tires and springs not so much- but you need to consider them all.

Long story short, I decided to stay at the 2200 lb rating. This was the only weight rating I could get in a 4-lug hub, which I wanted to keep. It also ended up being about the max a 13" trailer tire will handle (1360 x 2 = 2720). I dont recall the ratings on my new springs (they were custom), but going a little beyond the other components wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

It appears you have 12" wheels/tires on that trailer, which probably have a pretty marginal rating for the boats you plan to carry... while they would probably get the job done, they will likely still be the weakest link, even if you stay with the 2200lb hardware. You would probably have to upgrade those to larger 5 lugs if you go to a beefier axle. I wouldnt hesitate to stay with the 2200lb stuff though- Ive towed my Skier trailer back and forth to GL twice without issue, so just keep an eye on bearings, tires, etc and you'll be fine.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 6:53pm
Tim, what would the 78 #2's have on them for wheels? 14?

I think I told you already, but this was under a late 60's mustang (you can tell by the fenders). I wouldn't mind making it look a little more like a 78 #2 but I've also got the 70 skier which fits the current look. That boat won't be done for a while so I figured I could do both by changing the fenders out?

Edit. Are these the 14"?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 7:16pm
Chris, I would keep that 60's #2 exactly how it is. I would keep the fenders that are on there now- you can stuff 13" under them (just barely) if you want. Thats what I did with mine. Bruce's trailer has the other fenders that were commonly used in the late 60's and early 70's (wider/flatter), the wheels look like 13's to me.

Personally, I think the 70's boats look cool on an older trailer, while the 60's boats look a little out of place on the larger tired, square fendered versions. The square fenders are not cheap to fabricate, by the way- and you would need to extend the rails to support them- so more welding and $$ involved.

If you want to see what the original 14's looked like on a 70's #2, check out the diary for my Tique.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 7:57pm
Chris,
I agree with Tim on keeping the spring rate close to the original. All a higher rating will do is make the trailer/boat ride rougher. The trailer that I use for my Dunphy originally had 3500 lb. springs on it. I actually ended up going with 2200 mono springs (one leaf) and the improvement was very noticeable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 8:41pm
and I agree with Tim on keeping the original fenders. Personally, I don't like those square fenders either (No offense Tim to you Tique). The 78 looks great on there and obviously so will your skier. Here is a picture of the original wheels (and rubber on the guides).

NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 9:15pm
try this place for fenders,axles. I got brakes and backing plates for a good price.
http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/index.asp?url=IND
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 11:02pm
Chris, I did mine a couple of years ago,the big problem being mine has 12" tires. Almost impossible to find but Eastern Marine has them.They are 6 ply rated,1045 lbs. They are Chinese tho and thats what worries me. I would like to get new hubs and 13" tires. I'm still using my original axle but had new springs custom made.They started out 4 leafs and after I had it all together, I took it back with the boat on and they recommended to add another leaf.
Your going to need hat bushings if it's like mine and Eastern has them here no one else has them or could get them that I could find. If you need any measurements or pic's let me know

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:55am
Gary, you have brought that boat a long way!

I'm pretty sure my trailer is exactly like yours. How many hat bushings do you think I will need? I'll go ahead and order them now since they're cheap and I have the time before I take it in.

Thanks for all the input guys, you're all awesome!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 2:44am
Thanks Chris. I owe that to Keith and his site,before that I just used it. My trailer used 12 bushings, 6 per side,2 in the front spring eyes and 4 in the rear shackle eyes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 3:13am
Perfect, I will get an order in tomorrow morning. Any thing else I would need?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 10:32am
The wheels on my trailer are 12" and I forget the size, but they are the heaviest 12"s I've seen. They are 4 lug. They sell them everywhere, but only in the spoked wheels. I recently put new bearings and hubs on it and had no trouble finding replacements at NAPPA. I went with new hubs as the old ones had cracks that were apparent once their machine shop sand blasted them.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 10:49am
Northern Tool has a standard (not spoked) 12" rim that uses a 4.80 or 5.30 tire. These are the rims that I used on my TeeNee for the Atom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:05am
Pete, Gary pointed me to a supplier that has them also, but for some reason when they get up to a certtain size, they are spoked. When we bought the Classic the seller put a new axle and tires on it. He got us regular rims at that time. I bought a spare for it last year and looked for hours for a regular rim and could only find spokes. It is a 5 lug, 13".

No one seems to notice, but the Mustang trailer has one of each.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:04pm
We ended up getting the Northern Tool wheels for our #2's as well. They were the only non-spoked wheels I could find, at least in 13". Not quite the same as the original steelies, but close. Bruce, if memory serves, they are the same as the ones under your Classic, but in 4-lug.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:07pm
Here's the only place I have found with 13" non spoke trailerpart.com

I think they have 12" too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Here's the only place I have found with 13" non spoke trailerpart.com

Gary, was I unclear above?

Northern Tool has them too. Ive got 2 sets.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 3:44am
Naw Tim I said the only place I HAVE found them Senior moment I guess,yea thats it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 5:12am
Good thread! I am going to redo my #2 trailer this winter. Gotta get in these last months on the water before I tackle it though.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:49pm
Ok guys, went to the only place in Des Moines that said they would make springs. He said at least $150 for each! Labor was going to be about 350 bucks + axle, hubs and bearings and putting it all together. I told him I was going to get wheels and tires.

Does this seem high?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 7:58pm
Just got off the phone with Woody. I introduced myself and said I was working on a Correct Craft #2...his response was "thats funny, I'm on Correct Craft Fan looking at a post about a #2!" How awesome of a resource is Correct Craft Fan?!

I called every freaking trailer place in Des Moines and they all said they can't get me the springs I need and they all referred me to the place that quoted me this morning!

Wood has the right springs, I think he said for 80 bucks. Much cheaper than the 150+ labor I was quoted!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 9:44pm
Thats a good price I think Chris. I paid about 65 ea for mine then had them add a leaf later,so I bet it was about the same.That included new u bolts too.No shipping cause they were local.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats a good price I think Chris. I paid about 65 ea for mine then had them add a leaf later,so I bet it was about the same.That included new u bolts too.No shipping cause they were local.

Gary....where did you get your springs in this area?

That is on my list of things to do this winter as well for my #3. When I load the boat on, the fenders come down very close to the tires. The springs are old, and the boat has gained a few pounds over the years.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:08am
Spring Align in Palatine Dave,ask for Mark. Take him your old one and he can make them up. Have him make up new U bolts too and get those hat bushings from that place above.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2010 at 11:36pm
I'd say the old springs are a little shot, huh?

Hopefully going to get the spring seats welded to the axle tomorrow. Should be back together pretty soon, can't wait to have a trustworthy trailer.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 12:00am
Are those the springs from Woody then? What axle and where did you get it? I'm going to get new hubs soon and I really want to go to 13" wheels too so I can get some Goodyear tires. I just have a bad feeling about these 12" foreign tires,and I want to pull my boat a long way this comming March
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 12:28am
Gary - Don't assume the Goodyears are made in the USA - Some are & others, well . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 12:45am
I didn't know that Chris,thanks.At least they are willing to put Goodyear on them.I have Loadstars on there now with an 800 number on the sidewall for questions which makes me wonder
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:09am
Gary, I'm a little torn on what axle to put on. I'm just happy to have some springs that aren't going to snap!

Woody sent me all the stuff to get the original back on quick.

What does everyone think about putting a round axle and a little camber?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:20am
Whats wrong with the axle you have Chris? I just cleaned mine up and reused.If I remember correctly the axle is a odd size,width wise also.Everything must have been custom made for Correct Craft.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 14>
  Share Topic