NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 11:54am
I've seen those guides on a few trailers and wondered what their purpose is and if they scratch the hull. If you line the boat up fairly straight and drive it on the trailer, it centers itself.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 11:59am
Ha, you know Im just poking fun, Gary.

Ive never seen a set of guides exactly like yours installed on a CC trailer- though there are enough out there with something like them that I dont doubt their usefulness... it can sometimes be a pain to get my Skier centered on its #2.

Id be willing to bet that the optional loading package would have included the rear guides and the taller front crash pad. Neither of my #2's have either of those features.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 12:04pm
Our Mustang trailer has the guides and the taller crash pad. I like the lower one like you have better, and while the guides make loading easier, they take up a lot of room in the garage.

We found out last week when pulling the Mustang out on a steep ramp due to low water, that even if the boat comes out crooked, it is so light that 2 people can move it with ease in all directions on the trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Our Mustang trailer has the guides and the taller crash pad. I like the lower one like you have better, and while the guides make loading easier, they take up a lot of room in the garage.

We found out last week when pulling the Mustang out on a steep ramp due to low water, that even if the boat comes out crooked, it is so light that 2 people can move it with ease in all directions on the trailer.

I dont mind the lower crash pad- the only beef I have with it is that I cant see it while loading... I need to have the person pulling me out let me know how close I am.

Im not sure if the guides would help or not, but if Im alone in the boat and dont move my weight to the center, its very easy to end up off the right bunk. There may be nothing you can do about that. Im sure they help center the boat quite a bit- I have to walk side to side and check my clearance to the fenders before pulling out to make sure I dont end up on top of one. They may take up some room in the garage, but theyre easy to remove too (2 bolts/side)... Ive considered adding some to mine. If I trailered more, Id probably have done it by now.

As far as getting perfectly centered goes, Ive never had a problem rocking any of my boats from side to side once theyre on the trailer... assuming its done right after pulling out while the bunks are still wet!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 12:23pm
With ours, side to side you can just lift it up an move it, and its easy to push forward. Those are the advantages of a 170ci six, no foam and a spartan interior. Must be why Dave hit 32 gps with no one in the back seat at Northwood Lake.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yup, you would... or you could get rid of those goofy guides and move the fenders back down where they should be! Youre doing such a nice job returning the boat to original that you might as well bring the trailer back too!

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The "goofy" guides are so very well made that I wonder if they were part of the optional loading equiptment. Im going to ask Art his thoughts next time I see him.

"Optional loading equipment"? Sounds like a rationalization for non original equipment!!

Tim,
Maybe we should give Gary a break on this one? He's getting up there in age and may need the extra help for loading the boat!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 12:43pm
That's the beauty of it Pete, a phone call from a dealer could have got about anything anybody wanted. My trailer has the optional winch mount, now used as a place to set a beverage can while waxing the boat. Gary's very well could be original.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 2:55pm
In the '73 brochure under trailer options it has trailer loading equiptment listed as an option on all trailers,but does not say what they are, you trouble makers

I can't wait to see that boat in person someday Bruce.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 3:38pm
Gary, I hope to have it a GL one of these years. There's a nice mahogany colored Mustang in the Diaries that has your same option. If Correct Craft owners ever start entering their boats in big numbers in the ACBS shows, the shows will come to a halt while those guys have endless pow wows about what's right and what's not. It may be fun to get everyone to show up some time just to see it happen.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 6:53pm
You mean this one Bruce?

Notice they mount differently than Gary's (they dont come close to attaching to the fenders) and are galvanized... Id be willing to bet its an Overton's type add-on. Like I said, Ive never seen another exactly like Gary's, so theres not much indicating that it was a factory option.

I think the large number of trailers with the tall stops and guides would be a more likely candidate for the "Loading Equipment" option... and would explain the 2 different set ups.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 11:34pm
Those do look after market and not nearly as nice as Gary's. Original or not, I'd be afraid they'd marr the gel coat. I wonder who bought that red boat?. It looks pretty decent.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 4:00pm
OK Guys, Suggestions and more details on this thread now. Going to start on the #2 here shortly.

Guide Poles ?
Side Hull Boards ?
Bow Stop- the 2 posts or the bump board down low ?

Something I'm thinking about doing that some of you might not like---
Extending the bunks-channels out to the end of the boat, then a prop guard from there.
And since the boat is Champangne- a Pink trailer JJ

I'm all ears and eyes guys!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 4:12pm
I like the small (low) bow stop... it wont mark up (or damage) the rub rail and you can get the cover on easier. The only downside is that the driver of the boat cant see it while loading- you need some input from a helper to figure out how far you are from it.

No(!) on the side hull boards (sorry Gary!). They may be functional but theyre non-original and usually dont look very good.

I think the guide poles would help center you... I get by just fine without them but I dont trailer all that often. If I did, Id probably add them. Trying to get them to look original is the trick.

I wouldnt bother extending the bunks and adding a guard... while I dont trailer often, I do have some hairy turns, dips and hills between the ramp and my driveway. The prop really does not sit close enough to the ground to make me worry. Never had an issue with my #2's or #4, none of which have the guards. The '90 trailer scrapes the guard, but probably wouldnt damage the prop if it werent there!

And I know youre kidding, but keep it the original white.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 4:15pm
Marty, how is the condition of the running gear (wheels, bearings, hubs, springs and axle)?

As for the guide poles, I can measure mine and get you dimensions. I'm not one for the bump boards as they don't give you much access to wax, clean etc. Nothing wrong with the guide poles and they give that classic inboard trailer look.

Pink trailer?!?!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 4:47pm
I like the low bow stop also rather than the Cajun bumpers. The guide poles definately make loading easier, but I like the looks without them better and they take up more space in the garage. Nothing like a white trailer. Marty, my trailers sit up plenty high. I wouldn't extend the bunks, but you can move the boat front and back quite a bit. Our Classic sits completey on a #2, while our Mustang hangs off by about 18".
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 5:01pm
The good BoatDr., put all road worthy galvanized wheels, tires, hubs, bearings, bearing buddies on for the trip home.
The tires are the 4.80 x 12 -just like the 6 new ones I got for the trailer that the Skylark is sitting on now.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

The good BoatDr., put New galvanized wheels,

galvanized...must be for a little bling
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 1:44am
If all can- post pics of your #2's-----trailers not poopie
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 2:00am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No(!) on the side hull boards (sorry Gary!). They may be functional but theyre non-original and usually dont look very good.

Just for that Tim I'm going to drag it down to the river run to show Art, then we'll see

Marty as I type this, Im drawing up the measurements.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 2:03am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 3:11am
No offence Bruce, but that picture scares me.It looks like your Classic could fall off at any minute. And I know about boats falling off trailers! I assume you don't travel far like that?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 3:19am
Dang gary, you got that rig all cleaned up, huh?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 3:28am
I knew you'd like that tow vehicle Chris,thanks. That was last year with the old windshield
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 9:51am
Gary, the front bumper had been removed so we could install the rub rail. The boat sits too far up on the trailer, so the tongue is pretty heavy, but it tows great. We towed it back from NC and took it to NY last year. It tows really well, but I'd like to move it back maybe a 6" to a foot as it rocks a bit on the bunks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 11:52am
Here are a few pics I have of my #2's. The one under my Inca Gold Skier is pretty close to all-original. The other one still needs a little updating.

Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 1:11pm
Not trying to hijack the thread - but since we are on the subject of CC trailers, I am looking for recommendations on colors for my trailer.

The three choices I am considering are:

White - period correct but will show any little rust coming through down the road.

Black with refective white pinstriping - Love what Doug did to his 92 recently!

Yellow with black pinstriping - clear coat to shine it up. Bold but may look good considering my color scheme on the boat.

Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 3:37pm
Dave, we changed our 88's trailer from blue to black and were very happy with the end result. My opinion is that it features the boat more than a white trailer. It wasn't original but I was concerned with being able to match the blue colors together to make it look right. Yellow would also be a pretty tough match unless you re-painted your stripe on the boat.

I vote black

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 3:49pm
Black actually would have been a factory option for the mid-late 80's trailers, Chris- so I cant fault you for your choice! It would also be period correct for Dave's trailer (since it is a mid-late 80's vintage too). It wouldnt be period correct for his boat, (all trailers were white during the 70's), but I think it would look good either way.

Yellow is a great choice as well and would look pretty slick... but getting it professionally matched is a must.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 7:21pm
Great pics so far guys!
So, those are the only clearance lights, on the fenders??!! Size?
Do I have to go with round taillights? At least round LED'S? So, I guess, I'm going to have to at least get it bunked before I know where my bow-stop goes? Man, this is going to be hair-pulling for me.
Anyone wanta buy a #2 ?
66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:01pm
Marty, Do you have a bow stop or are you going to be frabicating one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
  Share Topic