Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
Author
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 3:35pm
Balloons? What a great idea!

Thanks,

Jeff
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 10:52pm
Hi,
I am working on a 86 as well and have enjoyed your thread, On the drains. Do you guys think it needs the fiberglass or will a good coat of epoxy do the same thing?
Just wondering . I put in drains for under the floor and they are epoxy coated and am planning to use 5200 and pvc with a screw cap so I can drain if ever needed or check for water.
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 9:01am
I would glass the cut outs. The glass is the strength and the epoxy is the adhesive. Straigh epoxy resin is brittle and can crack. You don't want any spot to be a potential for water to enter the stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 2:08pm
Jeff,
I did my drain's exactly like Tim showed in his diagram.

I did do it before I installed the stringer, but I put the holes where CC put them. After I installed them I noticed they weren't in the best place(lowest point) So I filled them and re-drilled new one's. So I ended up doing them in place after all. (PITA but done)

PS the more cuts the easier it is to get them to lay flat.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 2:21pm
Thanks Gun Driver, I appreciate the advice.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 4:50am
Since it drives me nuts to be on the second page, I'll give everyone a quick update. All four stringers have the 2/2, 4/4, 8/8 and 1st layer of biax. I'm happy with how everything is looking so far. Hopefully we can get all of the ribs, drain holes and blocking done this weekend. Once that get's completed, we will get working on the battery box area.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 8:56pm
Haven't been here in a while, but it looks like we are back at it. Had a life changing event that took a while to get through..... Anyway, things are good.

Update: Just had three good days working on the boat again. Have all 4 stringers pretty much finished. Completed the top wraps with biax today.

Our next step is to clean up the entire hull, stringers and sides with a grinder and lay a few more small pieces of glass in some of the corners. I'll try to post some pictures later.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:15am
Here are a couple of pictures of where we are at with the restore.

Jeff
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:13pm
Welcome back!
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2012 at 2:55am
we are still plugging along. I have decided that I hate grinding and I hate itching. I think they go together.

Anyway, we have the stringers pretty much done, except the corners and curved areas need a little more attention. I did drop it back on the trailer yesterday, which seems like a huge accomplishment. Nice to see it back where it belongs. I even moved it into the barn, so I don't have to deal with the coming weather. I'll start to tackle the battery box area within the next week or two.

Jeff
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 3:31pm
Has anyone tried putting an additional battery box in the airbox (other than way under there (PITA?)should be plenty of room and it will be up much higher to allow it to drain)?
1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2000/2001 Glen-L 'Squirt'

2006 Malibu LSV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
  Share Topic