Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 9:34pm
Thanks for all of the replies.

I am planning on routing a 1/4 edge on the secondary stringer tonight and giving it a first coat of CPES. So, if all goes as well, I will bed the secondary on Saturday and pull the starboard main on Sunday. If I wait until Sunday, the epoxy bedded stringer will have plenty of time to cure.

Jeff
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

B: Bust
O: Out
A: Another
T: Thousand

Jody,
Did the boat repair shop on "Pawn Stars" get that saying from Florida Inboards?? You do seem to take on some "high end" projects!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 1:33am
We had another great day and ended up getting more done than planned. We started this morning with bedding our first stringer. Everything went as planned. I dry fitted the ribs again and set a torpedo level on one of them. It wasn't even close. I scrambled to figure out what happened and decided I better scribe it in again. Nothing was going right. I finally figured out that I was using a different level than I usually use. I grabbed another level and all of the others were dead on. I ended up melting the thing with a torch and threw in the can. So, I now have one rib that I cut too short. Not a big deal, but I will need to get a little more material to recut a new one.

So, I went ahead and bedded the remaining ribs. After they set up, I decided to start cutting the driver’s side main. What a mess. The entire stringer from the bow to the stern was wet. I managed to keep most of it intact, but it popped right out. I went ahead and started grinding the hull which I have almost done. I’m hoping that I can finish the grinding tomorrow, clean up the bedded stringer and maybe complete all of the fillets on the starboard secondary. This might be a tall task, since my boy has a baseball game tomorrow at 10:00, but we will give it a shot.

Here are the pictures!

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 12:45pm
Jeff, is it an optical illusion or is the new secondary stringer higher than the main?
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 12:51pm
Well that would depend on where you are looking. Since I am going with a plywood deck, the secondary stringer and main are at the same height with the exception of the cradle area. The cradle is below the deck height, so the secondary is taller in that particular area.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2010 at 11:58am
We started around 2:00 and completed the fillets on the secondary and finished grinding the hull. At least it looks like we are making progress. A couple of things to note, were the bilge bump pad and rudder log were wet.

While grinding in front of the pylon cup, I hit an area where water was still setting. It looked like it was coming around the pylon mount, which started at the bilge pump pad. The more I grinded, the more pockets I found. It was enough water that I had to stop and soak it up with rags.

Also while grinding around the rudder log, I found several air pockets. As I dug deeper, some still had water in them. The rudder log is not rotted, but does look like it was wet a time or two. So out it will come.

Question: What has some of you done about the bilge pump pad. I'm not really sold on the idea of laminating wood into the hull, just to put a couple of small screws in.

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who thinks their pre 93 natique is solid, is just fooling themselfs. The design of these boats simply allow too many entry points and you really do not have any idea until you start grinding and cutting.

Now that we have the secondary bedded, I am hoping that I can get the main scribed to the hull before the weekend. It would be great to get the main in this Saturday.

This brings up another question. What do you think about bedding all of the stringers before doing the glass work?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jeff
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2010 at 8:12pm
Jeff looks good are you planning on using foam on the sides of secondary stringers ? and where did you get the wood and what kind of wood are you using? thanks
Matt.
Matt R.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2010 at 8:22pm
No, I'm not going with foam.

All of the stringers are being made out of 2X fir. The blocks and built up areas will be out of 1X fir. I bought the lumber from a local yard who had some very nice material. They would of ordered me some vertical grain stock, but I thought the stuff they had was good enough. Actually the grain pattern was close to vertical on most of the pieces anyway.

Jeff
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 12:44am
You are moving really fast and it looks great. I bedded my stringers on one side. Made sure they were level to the other side and then pulled the other side out and bedded those before glassing.

My stepson who is also 9 rode the kneeboard for the first time yesterday and is hooked! He is already talking about a wakeboard for Christmas. You guys will have to decide soon whether to grab the reels or the ropes! You never know which one will getcha hooked.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 2:07am
Keegan, thanks for the reply.

That's great about your stepson. My son hasn't ridden a kneeboard yet, but is already saving for one. I told him that if he saved enough for half, I would kick in the balance.

As far as reels or ropes, here is my weekend plan! Wake up at 4:30, be out at first light with the reels. Catch as many as we can. Go in around 9:00. Leave at 10:00 with the nautique to ski, float, ski, and relax. Take a nap at 2:00. Go back out at 4:30. Fish the evening bite, then do it all over again the next day. Sounds good doesn't it?

Come Monday, I will try to catch up on my sleep at work

Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 6:08pm
Jeff,
I would get a at least the step layering done before bedding the main and maybe even a couple of full layers over the top.
There’s a lot more room to work, once you get the main in it gets tight to work, especially in the space where the exhaust pipe's lay.
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 6:12pm
Jeff,
As far as the bilge pump pad goes, it should only be enough extra layers of glass to hold the pump down with the short screws. No wood necessary. You're movin' right along with the build! I've got the motor assembled, and everything glassed in except the floor pieces on the '77 SN. (I know, pictures!) I hope to paint the bilge and drop the motor back in next weekend, then I'll feel like I'm getting close. My goal is to get it in the water just in time to winterize it.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 6:38pm
Thanks for the advice Gun Driver. Something I need to consider. I would certainly like to get them all bedded, but then again, I need room to get to everything.

Thanks Charger, I think I will go that route. Put down a couple of extra layers of glass and be done. I can't wait until I'm as close as you. Post some pictures, I would love to see how you did yours.

Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 5:57pm
Jeff,
There is ply under the glass for the bilge mounts. And it will trap water!!

I ground mine out then leveled with epoxy and used a couple uf dabs from a hot glue gun to attach the pump strainer. Worked great and no screws!!

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 6:21pm
Thanks Gun-Driver, I think I read about glueing done somewhere else too. Makes sense. When I grinded my pad out, it too held a lot of water. Your's looks good, I especially like how you changed the hull so that it drains more effiecently.

Thanks Gun-Driver, I think I read about someone else gluing their pump down too. Makes sense. When I grinded my pad out, it too held a lot of water. Yours looks good, I especially like how you changed the hull so that it drains more efficiently.

I have ran into my first stumbling block. Not the boat, but my truck. I drive a 2006, F350 diesel and the EGR Cooler, Engine Cooler, EGR valve and Turbo decided it was time to take a dump. My first quote.... $6,200, my second quote.... $5,700, My third quote.... $4,700. My last and final quote..... My driveway so that I can do it myself. I sure don't want to waste the time and money, but it looks like I haven’t a choice. I'll park the truck next to the boat, so that I can gaze over the gunnels once in a while.

On another note, the turbo I bought is back ordered for 6 weeks. So, maybe I can get the stringers at least bedded before I tear into the ford.

Jeff
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 6:28pm
hmmm, must be a 6L. sorry to hear about that Ranger. Such a common issue I can't believe Ford turns a blind eye to it.

you were making great progress on the boat, I'm sure you'll get back to it in no time. On the pump mount, I was thinking you could just use some 4200 to glue a small scrap of HDPE then screw the pump to that. Its probably the way I'm going to go on mine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Ranger Ranger wrote:

I have ran into my first stumbling block. Not the boat, but my truck. I drive a 2006, F350 diesel and the EGR Cooler, Engine Cooler, EGR valve and Turbo decided it was time to take a dump. My first quote.... $6,200, my second quote.... $5,700, My third quote.... $4,700. My last and final quote..... My driveway so that I can do it myself. I sure don't want to waste the time and money, but it looks like I haven’t a choice. I'll park the truck next to the boat, so that I can gaze over the gunnels once in a while.

On another note, the turbo I bought is back ordered for 6 weeks. So, maybe I can get the stringers at least bedded before I tear into the ford.

Jeff

How many miles are on her. I have a '06 F-250 Power Stroke
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

On the pump mount, I was thinking you could just use some 4200 to glue a small scrap of HDPE then screw the pump to that. Its probably the way I'm going to go on mine.

I thought about doing something along those lines but wanted the pump to be at the lowest point.
The only way to do that was to fill and taper then glue right to the hull.
Works very well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Ranger Ranger wrote:

I think I read about glueing done somewhere else too.

I also used these and hot glued them to my stringers so that I didn't have to screw the cable ties into the stringers.
So far so good with them holding.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_292685-1781-45-1MBUVL_0__?productId=3128405&Ntt=adhesive+cable+ties&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dadhesive%2Bcable%2Bties
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 8:54pm
I just used some thickened epoxy and set the stainer down on it. Where it came through the screw holes i flattened it down to help hold it down. When it setup I snapped the pump back on the strainer.It doesn't take much epoxy. Monty
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 1:24am
Quote.hmmm, must be a 6L. sorry to hear about that Ranger. Such a common issue I can't believe Ford turns a blind eye to it.

Its not Fords fault the EPA got involved in 03 and told manufactures they had too put emission bull chit on there diesel's. Diesel engines dont need EGR systems or converters. But there were forced to do so by EPA. My 04 6.0 no longer has a working egr cooler or converter they got blocked off or removed somehow

Ranger let me know if you have any questions, i have some experience on turning wrenches on 6 oh's. I do find it hard to believe they siad you needed egr cooler, oil cooler, and a turbo all at the same time. The oil cooler blocks coolant flow and causes the egr cooler to fail. The turbo could be salvaged unless there is lots of corrosion from the coolant going through it.
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:51am
Thanks guys for the bilge pump suggestions.

As far as the truck goes, I have 115,000 miles on it so far. Yes, I'm familiar with the engine cooler blockage issues and EGR cooler failures. I have decided to use Bullet Proof Diesel's products. They make a bolt up EGR cooler that eliminates the smaller fin design of the stock cooler. Much better design in my opinion I also ordered there new oil cooler. Their cooler eliminates the stock water fed unit with an exterior mounted air cooled unit. It also gets rid of the original oil filter assembly. The oil cooler is kind of pricey, but since I'm not paying any labor, I will be actually saving money than the dealers quote. Check them out on line at bulletproofdiesel.com

As far as the Turbo, they said it was bad, but they couldn't tell be what was wrong with it. They had a new one priced on the quote however. So I went ahead and ordered a new Garrett Powermax. Cheaper than stock, but a much better unit. They are backordered 6 weeks, so I won’t have it for a while.

I have a lot of experience with gas engines, but not diesels. But this is fairly straight forward. Just a bunch of parts to remove to get to the EGR cooler.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Jeff
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 1:00pm
Not Fords fault!?! Last I checked the EPA mandates all engine manufacturers meet their standards. It's not the EPA's fault that Ford couldn't find a good solution, but other engine manufacturers did...\

Get a Cummins of course I'm a little biased.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:00pm
Getting back to the boat, I'm still planning on bedding the main this weekend. Once it's bedded, I will then start on the blocks and built up areas on the starboard side. If I can manage to get everything dry fitted and then bedded, I just might be able to cut the port main out. I really want to get all of the old stringers cut out and grinded clean. I think it will probably be the worst part of this project and if I have them all out, I will feel like I have accomplished my first goal.

Jeff
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:05pm
By the way...enjoying this rebuild. Really glad several of you have went through these rebuilds on the mid 80's boats...feel like I've got my hands around it before I even start thinking about doing mine.   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:23pm
Oh Snap! Sorry about the truck Jeff. It's likely my fault. My ex-boats seem to be bad luck for diesels. A few years ago, some dude's Ford Turbo blew up on the way to pick up a boat I was selling down in LA. Of course, the deal fell apart. The good news (for me at least) is, the SN is in your drive way already!

While we are on the subject of disappointing performances, I want to send my condolences for your Padres' effort towards the end of the season. Not sure if you're a baseball fan, but I just thought I'd try to cheer you up a little just in case. : )

You've been moving really fast on the boat. I bet once you get the other stringers out, it will come together really quickly.

JJ
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:47pm
Hi James, Padres fan? you bet! We had a great season and my son and I enjoyed watching. As far as my truck, I agree it's your fault. Send me $1,500 and we will call it even.

The boat is progressing nicely. Last night I almost finished scribing the starboard main. It seems as though, it's taking me longer with this one than the secondary I did last week. Not sure why, but it sure feels that way. I'm probably being too particular with the fit. I really want a nice uniform tight fit all the way along the stringer. So, I just keep working it.

Jeff
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 5:25pm
Jeff,
I don't know the specific method of scribbing you're using but if you are really getting down to a tight fit, lay down some carbon (copy) paper. Set the stringer down and move it slightly. The high spots of course will be black. I've used this method for tigh fits needed on joining complex shapes that are bright (stained and varnished). I got the idea one day after visiting the dentist!! The only problem is finding the carbon paper these days!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 6:48pm
Wow, that's a great idea. But who would have 14 foot lengths of carbon paper? I'm using a thick pencil. If I lay it on its side, it will follow the contour of the hull and draw a line about 1/8 inch above the hull. I then take a plane or belt sander to the stringer and bring both sides to the line. Works pretty well.

What I had issues with was while I was scribing the front in, the rear wasn't settling enough to get the pencil to make a line. So, the front kept going deeper and deeper. Pretty soon, I had the stringer so out of level, it was almost looking like I should throw it in the fireplace and start a new one. But, I caught it soon enough and was able to drop the rear down to where it should be. I also take a flashlight and run it along the seam. You can see pretty easily where the stringer is not setting flush.

Jeff
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 12:38am
jeff sorry to hear about your truck,i just have a question ,talked to a guy who has redone boats for 16 years and i asked him about dug. fir. because i am having trouble finding dug. fir and when i do it's outrageous in price. he told me he would not use fir but use a marine grade plywood with non oil in the plywood. Says it is much stronger than fir because you can make it whatever thickness you need. And also do you know the difference between the different types of marine grade plywood..with and without oil. I'm just trying to figure things out. Thanks for the help.
Matt R.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic