NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:11am
The air box is also where the kickboard and side board mount.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:28am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The air box is also where the kickboard and side board mount.

I think this is the airbox's only function. On the earlier boats, it went full width, as only a kickboard mounted to it. Without it, mounting the kick and other panels gets a little tricky. Those panels serve as a footrest for the driver, as well as hide the mechanicals (bilge line, wire harness, shift and steering cables, air hoses) from plain sight. It also provides some "high ground" to mount electronics, heaters, etc.

Obviously some sort of ventilation for the engine is required, hence the three 3" lines running from the bow to the bulkhead. The factory used woefully inadequate dryer vent tubing. Most here replace with something superior, like schedule 40 hard PVC. I used flexible PVC in the BFN, which made routing it a little easier. I believe Greg used some hard corrugated plastic tubing. Roger's custom fiberglass tubes are awesome, but need to be made special. Lots of options though.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:42pm
Yes I agree that the only function of the air box is to provide a mounting area for the kickboard, but I would rather have the extra storage area. I'm planning on moving the ducts to the starboard side as far as I can, so that the area is open for storage. If I do install a small kick panel, I can think of other ways to do it without a huge foam block.

Jeff
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 1:03pm
Jeff,
Are you planning to re-foam the stringers? Also i sent you a email about wood dimensions.
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Ranger Ranger wrote:

Yes I agree that the only function of the air box is to provide a mounting area for the kickboard, but I would rather have the extra storage area. I'm planning on moving the ducts to the starboard side as far as I can, so that the area is open for storage. If I do install a small kick panel, I can think of other ways to do it without a huge foam block.

Jeff

Once you bring the vent hoses and conduit up in this area, I think you will be surprised at how little space is left over for "storage". I went to great lengths to maximize this area by having the vents exit as far forward as possible, and the conduit as far rearward as practical, and it created enough space to mount a heater- but not much more.   If you leave the whole thing floor height, with the taper of the hull, you'll be left with even less useable floor space up there.

I certainly do agree that there are alternative ways to build this area up (if you so choose) other than to shape it with foam- but I do think the elevated position under the bow (read: dry) makes it a great location to mount electronics- heater, stereo, etc. We did everything we could to increase the storage when we rebuilt our BFN, but this was one part of the factory design that we thought had merit- so we kept it. YMMV.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 3:30pm
I guess when I get to that part of the rebuild, I might change my mind. I'll keep my options open. I appreciate your experience and thoughts.

It looks as though you ran your duct's similar to what I want to do, pushed as far forward as possible. It still looks to me that if the box wasn't there, you would have additional floor area. As far as the electronics. I was going to laminate a flat piece of ply on the side of the hull. I could then mount what I wanted and keep it off the floor. As far as room for a heater. Maybe it's my age, but if I need a heater, I stay home.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 3:34pm
79SNbrady

No, I'm not using foam in my rebuild and I used 2x10 fir for the mains and 2X8 fir for the secondaries.

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 3:39pm
I cant tell you how handy a heater is... whether its early morning or early/late season, its really nice to have! We dont quite have SoCal's climate though.

Your plan for the electronics is a good one, though Im not sure how far forward youre planning to carpet, which may complicate things. The kick and side panels hide that whole airbox area, so no carpet required- very utilitarian. I think you'll find that the space gained without it is not very significant- but I suppose every little but helps on these smaller boats.
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 6:37pm
are your stringers a true 2" wide? So far the wood i have looked at for my rebuild the true wood dimension is 1.5"
-Parks Bonifay

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 8:48pm
A 2X8 is actually 1.5 inches thick. Everything I used was 2X Fir. Even the smaller blocks are from 2X fir. I just planed them to be 3/4 inch thick

Jeff
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 10:58pm
Hi, I am doing a 86 sn as well Did you need the whole 2x10 or will a 2x8 work for the mains?
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 2:53pm
I used 2X8's for the mains.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:01pm
Here is what we finished last weekend. All of the filets are finished and the blocking is cut and ready. We're finally ready for glass, but since we are going to be hit with a storm this weekend, it might be a week are two before I get to it. Here are the pict's of what we finished.

Jeff
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:03pm
Jeff,
Thanks for the info and pics. Very nice work! I am still at the white powder stage. The asco is do tommorrow and hopefully by next week I can get started.
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:22pm
Keep it up you are looking great! How much of that cabosil do you still have left? You can pass it along to the next guy and see how many rebuilds we can get out of that 10lb bag.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:46pm
Looking good there. I have been following this thread and have same boat there and have found some spots that are not good anymore.
I am no mechanic or repair man. I am gonna turn my repair towards boat dr (billy) to do mine. Keep up the good work..   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 3:07am
looks very good so far! I cant wait to see my boat in the same state as yours!
-Parks Bonifay

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 3:30pm
Thanks guys for the compliments. I really thought I would have more time to get this done, but it's tough to get more than a couple of hours at a time. I guess it will just take me a tad longer than I had originally thought. No surprises there!

Keegan, I have about 8 pounds of cabosil left. If you need some, I'll send you a cup for free?

Something else I've learned is that you never really pay attention to the weather in San Diego until you need it to be at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time.

Jeff
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 5:06pm
Jeff,
I'll say it again that the job is looking great and you're doing a good job.

Now, the next step is for you to continue with your woodworking skill but on a hull that you don't put fiberglass over it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 7:09pm
Pbrain,

It's funny that you mention it, but I would love to take on a wooden hull and bring it back to factory spec's. I have often thought that when I retire, I'll have the time to do it right. The question will remain, will I ever retire?

I certainly hope so!

Jeff

79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 8:25pm
Id love to work on a old chris craft, But one that i could take my sweet time on!

Jeff,
Hope you and your son are having fun working on your 2001!Im sure your son will grow up and cherish your 2001 just like i cherish my 79!

Nick
-Parks Bonifay

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by 79SNbrady 79SNbrady wrote:

Id love to work on a old chris craft

Nick,
I can't believe you said this!! Don't you understand that Correct Craft made wood hulls?? You certainly must be joking!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 11:46am
id love to work on one of those to lol. Ive always liked the old barrel back style of the chris crafts. But dont get me wrong id love to restore a atom skier!

Nick
-Parks Bonifay

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 1:05pm
It rained and snowed over the weekend, so I didn't get much done. Yes it snowed in sunny San Diego. It's the fourth time in 10 years that we have received a little snow. The kids go nuts.

Anyway, since I couldn't get over the rail, I picked up an 8 foot stick of fir to finish a couple of small parts. But of course, everything I found was soaking wet. So I took the best piece I could fine. I started with a piece that was 1 1/2 inches thick and planed it to about 7/8 inches thick. Since the wood was still dripping wet, I put it in the convection oven at 220 degrees for about 10 to 12 hours. Worked awesome. I then planed it to its finished dimensions.

To dry wood properly, you really need to have it in a kiln for a long period of time, but for smaller parts, this worked allot better than I would of thought.

Jeff
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 11:59pm
any updates?
-Parks Bonifay

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 12:48pm
No, I really don't have anything to add. The stringers are ready for glass, but I just don't have the time to get it done. It's funny how things work out. If you don't have any projects, you have tons of time, but once you have something to work on, you can't find any time to get it done.

What gives?

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 2:23pm
We are making slow progress on the glass. One of the mains has the 2/4/8 finished, but we didn't get the biax in yet. It was our first try and to tell you the truth, I'm not all that happy with the results. I had a couple of air bubbles develop that I will have to grind out and repair. Maybe I was moving too fast. I'm sure I'll get better at the lay ups as we go.

Our plan for the weekend is to lay up more of the E glass. I think I will slow down a bit and make sure that I get the air out of each layup before moving on to the next size. If anyone has had similar experiences, let me know how you corrected it.

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 2:37pm
Are you using a grooved roller after putting down a few layers?
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 4:15pm
Yes, I did. Actually, I thought I rolled the crap out of it. I started with the 2 inch, ran the length of the stringer. Came back and did it again. Then went to the 4 inch, did it the same way. Ended with two layers of the 8 inch. I didn't wait for it to go off between layers. Maybe, I should of waited for it to get a little "sticky"

It's really not that bad since it's only in a couple of spots, but I want it right.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 4:25pm
I just spoke with U.S. Composites and according to them. I was doing too much too fast. Simple enough. I just need to slow down.

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic