NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 separator rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 15>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by WOFTAM WOFTAM wrote:

Fein Multimaster...

Mike, I have to agree that the Fein is a great tool. I've had one for years and yes, paid dearly for it before all the cheap copies came out. One thing though, I believe Eric was talking about a power hand planer for skimming the gel off a transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 9:11pm
I was thinking of going at the transom core from the inside. Use a circular saw to cit through one layer of the glass, use a grinder to bevel both sides of the cut before removing the skin, then gently remove the inside skin. Use the Fein to get under the existing wet ply, but not damage the outer skin. Replace new CPES treated ply a la vacuum bag and epoxy with the filler of your choice. More epoxy on the inside skin after being prepared, pull another vacuum to re-apply the skin. Build up with 1", 2" and 4" tape around the cut referenced at beginning of the post. This was a way I would replaced rotten core under nonskid sections on sailboats. Those patterns were always a challenge to match.

Anyhow, maybe worth a try here?
Just because you can does not mean you should.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 9:48am
on I/O's they bond 2, 3/4" pieces of ply for drive stability, its 1.50 thick. its a beeoch to get off.... thats what i use the portable hand planer for.....you'll know when your close to the gel, when you get to that point you lower the blade....from the inside, once i skin the ply, then i'll come in with a mud hog with 80 grit to finish the gel for now bonding, dont be afraid of the planer the glass is real thick back there.
Conn, maybe you can post a pic of the inside of the transom for reference?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 9:55am
normally, the first piece of ply goes from corner to corner, the second piece covers the drive hole with extra. i cardboard template the first piece and fit, coat both sides and edges, let dry, scuff with 80, coat ply and use bolts thru gimble holes and tie off holes to clamp along with extended vice grips, at times i will put kickers in from the stringers to the ply to help in clamping
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 10:00am
to clarify, i do see the stress cracks on the outside transom, and i dont use the planer on the outside of the boat, address those cracks once all is done and stable on the inside
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 12:56am
Here is a pic of transom prior to planing! Eric, how am i going to attach the wood to transom. can you give me a step by step and the best products to use , thanks again. and yes this is the best tool for cutting parts out
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:06am
See the build up of resin on bottom would ya cut it out or leave it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:29am
I vote to leave it.Could it be there for a reason like drain plug support? That is a drain plug there right?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 1:35am
Gary ! you are correct [drain plug]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 9:38am
first, how thick is the mounting area? and are there 2 pieces of ply bonded together? normally you'll have a layer of gel, then glass and finally 2, 3/4 pieces of ply back to back
you'll notice the mounting studs on the gimble are 2.5 or so long. rmember the forces that are pushing a 3500 lb boat are all transfered thru the transom unlike an inboard. good qaulity ply...not marine, cpes highly recommended in this area.
As I said, I make my pattern, pre fit the ply, drill my mount holes, coat liberally to waterproof, mix it on the cool side, lay the piece up in there and go to town with clamps, inluding any thru holes i will use pre determined bolt and nuts to clamp, including tie down holes....anything that has a hole...I have long arm vice grips that i will use thru the gimble hole to reach other ares and at the corners I will tie in kickers screwed to the stringers or anything solid
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 9:39am
obviously once the first piece is in you cloth and glass the corners with heavy woven
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 9:41am
btw, a portable hand planer would whack that down in under a minute
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

....anything that has a hole...

Eric,
I thought this was CQ's line!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 10:28am
at what age do we become dirty old men?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 10:36am
Good morning Eric! would ya have a second some time so i could give ya a call about the transom. thanks jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 11:28am
If the resin in question is simply pooled resin (no glass) then I would say remove it. It will be fairly brittle, as resin doesnt have much strength without the glass fibers. Its most likely a result of a sloppy build process.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 2:24pm
What,s the trick to putting the 2 pieces of ply together. does the 1st piece of ply get glassed on all sides. and what typ of ply do i get, if i read it rite i dont use marine ply . BTW the pooled resin is not brittle should i leave it in?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 2:39pm
Just use standard 3/4" ply. All of the home dpot and lowes plywoods are made with external wood glue. Make sure it is untreated though. Thats what the cpes is for. When I laminated my lift mount and my stringers I used plain resin and a ton of clamps. Use thickened resin for bedding as mentioned by Tim.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 2:42pm
If its pooled resin, then it IS brittle. Take a hammer and chisel to it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:00pm
the plain resin with hardner will hold them together, thats what your saying, then glass back and sides that goes to boat, then with thickened epoxy attach to hull. all treated with cpes of course then glass over top. how much glass over top, size, and layers? thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

the plain resin with hardner will hold them together, thats what your saying, then glass back and sides that goes to boat,

I believe that is the process that Keegan used, yes.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:15pm
Makes sence what your saying Benj, you just got your post in before i finished typing mine what typ of mat in between boards
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2011 at 3:35pm
Keegan's method is probably more applicable than what we did with the coosa in the BFN.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 10:04am
it appears that when they built your boat, time wasnt spent on the transom, to me it looks as if they mereley put 2 pieces of ply together in the gimble area only, and thats why i feel you have stress cracks.....spread the load accross the entire transom with the ply on the first piece corner to corner, and then the second piece as big as you can without obstructing any other component that may be back there. You probably have a deck hanging off the back also,
the one pic you have does not show so much in strength, just a mount pad for the gimble, cheesy, normally most wood back on the transoms are never coated, just painted....cost effective when building at the manufacturer....you have the opportunity to build it stronger and add the personal touch and be worry free when running the boat.
post more pics of the transom if you can
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 10:09am
I backed up a bit and noticed the stress cracks originated in the area where the wood ends on the inside. thats what you are trying to eliminate with ply corner to corner...spread the forces of the outdrive. under power the outdrive has a tendency to pull at the top and push at the bottem of the transom.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

...spread the forces of the outdrive. under power the outdrive has a tendency to pull at the top and push at the bottem of the transom.

On a sterdrive, where does the load of thrust apply on the boat? Is it directly to the transom like an outboard, or is ultimately pushing forward on the motor mounts? I've heard the term "stringer drive" used in reference to OMC sterndrives, just curious how the Mercruisers are set up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 12:35pm
Im following ya now Eric! hay i have a question now that the hull is stripped a friend told me to look for a hook in the hull, he said it will slow the hull about 5 mph what do you guys think? ilooked into it on the internet and its quite detailed. some boat are built that way for quicker planeing , and some are not. the sep i dont think was, so now after alot of straight edging to get hull straight and reinstalling stringers bulkheads ect, i can remove the hook and hopefully get some more mph any thaughts. hope this dont open a can of worms
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 12:52pm
Jeff, hook in the hull has been discussed here at length- try a search.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 1:05pm
Tim after looking at mine it is only about an 1/8 strong, just by pushing the floor down in places it will take it out. well placed weights during stringer reinstall will easilly take hook out. does any body know if the sep was built with on in it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2011 at 1:37pm
Edit: nevermind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 15>
  Share Topic