NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: off topic winter projects
    Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:56pm
We have the "winter project" thread on boats but I figured since this isn't a boat I'd start a new thread in the off topic section.

I've always wanted to add a woodworking lathe to my shop however since it's not something I would use a lot, I didn't want to spend too much. They can get up into the 6K range so to keep costs within reason, I started shopping for used. Always being a Rockwell Delta person, I keyed into them. I found lots of the heavy duty early lathes but always ran into a crating, loading and shipping problem. This one came up locally on Craig's list so I took a drive and ended up getting it pretty cheap. It's a 1948 when Rockwell Delta sold a lighter duty lathe aimed at the non-production homeowner market. It had the optional stand with the HD cast iron legs which was actually used on the heavier duty lathe. That sold me on the purchase.

I stripped and painted all the basic metal parts but when I stripped the wood top and bottom shelf I was disappointed. Even though they were beautiful clear old growth sugar pine, both were oil soaked at all the bolt holes. The bottom shelf also had about 4 sets of holes from PO's mounting different motors. So, I decided to make the Maple "butcher block" top and shelf. (the Maple for the job ended up costing more than the lathe!!)

I converted the headstock seals to modern rubber and got rid of the old leather/felt seals. It runs 90W gear oil and I feel that's where all the oil in the wood came from.

Next came the motor. The one that came with it was way under HP'd and wouldn't even turn the spindle in the higher speeds. Wanting the flexibility of more variable speeds, the easy way is with a VFC (variable frequency control) driving a standard 3 phase induction motor. A added bennifit to the VFD is they can run on a single phase power source 3HP and below.

Since the "Home Craft" Lathe would only swing a 11" diameter over the bed, I machined up 1" riser blocks for the head and tail stocks so it can now swing 13".

I found a old disconnect at work, stripped the guts out and hid the VFC in it. The on/off switch is actually the old surface mount switch that came with the lathe. Both mantain the old appearance of the late 40's.

The 3/4 HP older looking 3 phase motor came off ebay. The motor mount is actually a modified tractor trailer rear door hinge!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:39am
Very nice,I like the VFD good idea   but its not orginal.....:-)
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 3:56am
Pete is see a few point deductions there for non originality
Put as usual very professional looking job.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:50am
Nice work Pete...but I do see signs of illness.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 12:14pm
sort of a resto mod wouldnt you say?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:00pm
Greg, my exact thoughts also
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:01pm
God help if he gets a woodchip on the floor
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:01pm
whats really puzzling is the dust on the compressor
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:05pm
he only uses that to puff himself up to rip another non original comment to pieces
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

whats really puzzling is the dust on the compressor

The plastic feather boards worry me more.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

he only uses that to puff himself up to rip another non original comment to pieces

Wood lathes aren't judged by ACBS guidlines!!   

BTW, I've commented on it before but boat internal mods you can't see are ok!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Nice work Pete...but I do see signs of illness.

Greg,
You may be correct!! I found myself ebaying old Delta planers this morning!

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The plastic feather boards worry me more.

Greg,
I missed this post. I must have been busy answering Peter's!!

Yes, PLASTIC!!! It does sort of rub me the wrong way!! But, I've made plenty of wood ones and they just never seem to work like the purchased. Plus, you do need some time to make a decent wood one and start with some real clear good material. Then, there's the clamping or fumbling with C clamps!!

What you're looking at is the router lift (Bench Dog) that I installed in my table saw extension. "T" slots in the table and fence make the purchased boards easy. I even added "T" slots to my Unifence on the cabinet saw! I've got a couple of the boards that fit into the 3/4" miter slots.

I'll never make another wood feather board!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 9:45am
Pete, has your sub-conscience named your new place yet? i would bet you call it the wood shop???
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:14am
What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire.

Now I understand why your wife went along with such an extordinary shop. She wants you to have a place to go!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 4:28pm
Pete, Stay healthy my friend. I (we) want you to enjoy the new building for many years.
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:35pm
Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??

Yup, still running except it doesn't walk all over the floor since I put the rubber vibration mount under the front foot! And yes, as you found out, it does need a 20 amp circuit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:02am
Pete, I got bit with the sht to, it starts as soon as i get up in the morning, I have to carefully remove a coffee cup from the cabinet not allowing it to touch another one, same with the creamer, as the day wears on, i have to blink my eyes as each car passes on the freeway...just a touch of it though. lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:06am
Pete, what will be your specialty in your new shop?
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

As I've watched the thread on the garages/shops, I've always thought that it must drive you crazy to have such an awesome shop developing, but not be able to use it. I have a similar situation at our lake, where there's five acres across the street from me (REALLY cheap) that would be perfect to build a shop, but I can't stand the thought of it sitting there for years on end without me being able to use it. I'm not as close to retirement as you. Hurry up and enjoy that thing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:14pm
John,
I wish I had that amount of room to work with. Wisconsin is pushing through some new ruling around lakes to control water run off. You can't exceed 30% non permeable of your land square footage. They consider gravel drives and septic fields non permeable!! Keep your eye on the 5 acres. Maybe you can talk to the owner and at least get a "first right of refusal".

Eric,
It's basically a woodworking shop. I have two projects on the back burner. The first is all the millwork (no doors), two staircases/balustrades and flooring out of local Red Pine. The other is the restoration of a 1918 launch I have (the 1927 Universal Flexifour is going in it). From there it's anyones guess! Maybe I'll be looking for another CC woodie!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:19pm
If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.

+1 !!!!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 6:26pm
No doubt!   One thing about "land", they quit making it a long time ago.
Well, except for the Arabs.

Nice lathe, Pete.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 8:25pm
I hear you guys loud and clear. It's very rural around the lake, but I keep trying to convince my wife the same thing. I'm sure 15 years from now I'll be kicking myself if I don't buy it. Maybe I'll make an offer just for fun.

Pete,

My full time home is in Maryland, so we've been dealing with the Chesapeake Bay Act for years. You can't hardly go near the water without a permit.
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 10:00am
John
About 20 years ago a 7 or 8 acre parcel came up for sale just across from my driveway, I contacted the realtor and got the legal description and walked it off it was all wooded and cheap. Well I dithered and delayed and several months later someone else got it for the price of a halfway decent used car. I have kicked myself ever since.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:00am
It's when the new neighbors move in with all their jet skis, tubes and bring all their friends and stay up all night hooting and hollering when you really wish you bought the property.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
  Share Topic