NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
Author
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 6:39pm
This is how it looked.

lets have a go 2
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 1:45pm
Roger,
That is a piece of art! Cool!

Well, the 1951 planer is done. I finally got the new guards fabbed after our light gauge shear was down for a rebuild for almost 4 weeks.

Wanting to connect it up to my dust collector, I had the same company that made all my ducting make me a special transition.

I'm hooked and as the members over on OWWM.com would say, hooked on old "arn" (as in iron)!! My next project is this 1953 Delta 8" jointer:

I've got it completely torn down and stripped ready for paint. This one the motor is in decent enough shape to use a VFD on to make the 3 phase it needs out of the single phase. I will use the old AB manual motor starter to control the on/off of the VFD but not in line with the motor. They call this jointer the "art Deco" version due to it's casting designs.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/brainard_bucket_bucket/DSCF0003-37.jpg">

Next on the list is a 1949 Delta shaper but I need to pinch some penny's for it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 2:24pm
I forgot to mention that the planer actually works!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 5:30pm
But the dust collector doesn't.

That is some nice work, lots of it too. Never met you, but it looks like you do things the right way.

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
That is a piece of art! Cool!

Thanks Pete, sorry for the thread highjack... as for art if I could pass it off as that it would cost x100 more

Love the Art Deco style, the machines had pride back then not like the gray boxes you get today all HS now, had a look on your OWWM cool place made me smile, I see some of our Wadkin has made it on their

As an apprentice spent many an hour behind a 24 in” thicknesser it was the unguarded wadkin 5 head EKA that always made me pucker up....still have some Wadkin and other old arn in the shop

Your neighbours must love you when you start that thicknesser up
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

But the dust collector doesn't.

That is some nice work, lots of it too. Never met you, but it looks like you do things the right way.

Thanks, as I always try.

On the dust collector, the picture was taken down here in my garage. The dust collector is actually in the shop I built up north at my Three Lakes house. I will be taking all the equipment up there and retire. Some info and pictures of the project are in this thread: show me your garage

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

After getting the planer back together, tuning it and then running it, I was actually quite surprised at how quiet it actually is. My dust collector makes more noise and you can't hear it running outside the shop. I think the extra thermal insulation I went with also handles the noise.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 6:56am

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

After getting the planer back together, tuning it and then running it, I was actually quite surprised at how quiet it actually is. My dust collector makes more noise and you can't hear it running outside the shop. I think the extra thermal insulation I went with also handles the noise.

I see your becoming an old woodworker, we are all a bit deaf
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:44am
Geppetto, when is your target retirement date?
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 4:49pm
geppetto lol   thats the perfect visual
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:06am
Well, the plan was 6 more years but the way my retirement account is going with this economy it may be longer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:34am
Pete, You never cease to amaze me with the attention to detail. I haven't touched equipment like that since an apprenticeship (floor sweeper)in a cabinet shop after high school.

Real tools like that would be a blessing with the Hurricane project. I don't want to show you up so I won't post pictures of my surface planer, jointer, shaper all in one tool AKA a router and a straight edge. LOL
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 9:17pm
You sure could not tell by the results Alan.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2011 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You sure could not tell by the results Alan.

Gary,
I sure agree with your comment! Good equipment is only good in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. Short on equipment is a master that knows what he has and makes what he has work!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 10:50am
Well, the 8" Delta jointer is finished and running making more wood shavings! It turns out (from the help of OWWM.org) that this is a 1951 and not a 53. Logical since both the jointer and the 1951 planer came out of the same location. (Northwestern University maintenance shop)

The bearings in both the motor and arbor were shot so they were replaced. The old die cast sheaves were replaced with good cast iron and split taper bushings and of course an AX belt. Besides that, it just needed a good cleaning and paint job.

I again had Air Handling make me a custom transition for the dust collection hook up. You'll note it's what is called an offset transition in that the round is all the way at the bottom. This is so the shavings do not need to go "up hill" as they come down the jointers dust chute. Little details like this make a good dust system and keeps it from clogging.

Unlike the planer motor that I did not feel confident with it running off a VFD, (the shaft was also screwed up) the jointer did get one to make the 3 phase from my single phase. I hid the VFD in the base to keep the original look. Also keeping it original looking, I kept the original AB manual motor starter and simply used it as a switch to turn the VFD on and off.

A new set of blades and it runs smooooth! The real test of smooth is the "coin" test. Here's a nickle, penny and a dime (the dime is the real tough one!!) standing on the table while it's running at 70HZ.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 1:22pm
Taking one step back and then an update:

The problem with the light is the brass is in real bad shape and cracked. Old brass get's real brittle when the zinc leaches out over time. The same happens with brass screws and the reason only silica bronze screws should be used on wood boats. (There are some out there who have found this out - the hard way!!)

You can see there are actually pieces of brass broken out.

So, I need to have new brass spun but the big cost is the spinning plug that the metal is spun over. I had plenty of wood laying around so here's the results.

The finished plug for the main body:

The plug next to the light:

The finished plug for the door (bezel):

The plug next to the door:

Some may remember I've been working on some of the small details on my launch restoration. The small projects take up lots of time. The wood spinning plugs I made for the body and bezel will be going to the metal spinner after the first of the year. I did get the "heat dome" done myself.

The hard part of this dome was making the raised emboss around the vent holes. Since there were only 6 holes to do, I decided just to make the tooling out of some hard wood. It's the two round pieces in the foreground made from left over Cocobolo from my rolling pin project.

The next big hurdle will be soldering all the hardware to the new spun body/bezel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 8:38pm
I forgot to add the "tooling" I made to form the hem on the L&R end pieces of the heat dome. Wood is great and pretty simple as long as it's hard and you aren't doing hundreds of parts. the brass sheet was clamped between the wood and then simply hammered over to form the hem.

Now, I wonder how long it will take before someone has something to say about my statement: "Wood is great and pretty simple as long as it's hard"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 11:05pm

The problem with the light is the brass is in real bad shape and cracked. Old brass get's real brittle when the zinc leaches out over time. ]

I have seen brass look like that Pete and had no idea why,you learn something new all the time here. Your work is amazing.I know it would not be original and I am not even suggesting it, but I wonder if the brass was plated would that keep it from getting brittle?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 3:03pm
I'm still working on all the "little" things that take time before getting into the launch hull. All the deck hardware has been blasted, lacquered and ready to go on the finished hull. I took a hard look at the original kerosene nav lights and the aft all around white was good since it's galvanized but the bow red/green suffered the same problem as the carbide search light. Falling apart and cracking due to the "zincification". Since they are so complicated to reproduce, I decided to look for a galvanized replacement and did win one off good old ebay!! a good clean up and a couple new wicks and they are back in working order.

The one on the left is the all around white and the original. It's a Perko!! I didn't realize Perko went back that far!
The combination red/green on the right is the one I got off ebay and patented in 1913. A perfect match for the launch which I now say would have been built around 1915.

lit and smoking up the shop!!!

I was concerned about how dim they were so I've been talking to a friend who is a retired DNR warden. The statutes state that the white must be visible for 2 miles and the red/green for 1 mile. Well, I was told that the DNR really only goes after people running at night with NO nav lights! I informally was also told that I should not be concerned and even if I was pulled over by an over jealous officer, the judge would throw it out of court - there's no way they can prove the 1 or 2 mile visibility!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 3:34pm

I'm still working on all the "little" things that take time before getting into the launch hull. All the deck hardware has been blasted, lacquered and ready to go on the finished hull. I took a hard look at the original kerosene nav lights and the aft all around white was good since it's galvanized but the bow red/green suffered the same problem as the carbide search light. Falling apart and cracking due to the "zincification". Since they are so complicated to reproduce, I decided to look for a galvanized replacement and did win one off good old ebay!! a good clean up and a couple new wicks and they are back in working order.

The one on the left is the all around white and the original. It's a Perko!! I didn't realize Perko went back that far!
The combination red/green on the right is the one I got off ebay and patented in 1913. A perfect match for the launch which I now say would have been built around 1915.

lit and smoking up the shop!!!

I was concerned about how dim they were so I've been talking to a friend who is a retired DNR warden. The statutes state that the white must be visible for 2 miles and the red/green for 1 mile. Well, I was told that the DNR really only goes after people running at night with NO nav lights! I informally was also told that I should not be concerned and even if I was pulled over by an over jealous officer, the judge would throw it out of court - there's now way they can prove the 1 or 2 mile visibility!!   

Not sure what is more shocking. The $100 ice chest or your skateboard?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Not sure what is more shocking. The $100 ice chest or your skateboard?

Ryan,
Well, the boards are left over from the old days of my son growing up. The old Styrofoam cooler is as well from an old garage sale. It was back in the days when my son was having a hard time placing the decimal! What he was trying to communicate is the cooler was 1 dollar!! Damn, my wife is a "pack rat" to the absolute extreme! you should see our basement! I dread the day when we move up north. No, not 1 day but many including the roll-off dumpster!! I anticipate it will be a rough time time when she see's what I'm tossing in the dumpster!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 8:40pm
Pete, you may have to have Marty set you up with the "Pickers" when the time comes. Might have some real gems in the basement.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 9:36pm
Pete, My advice to my dad back when my parents still were in the house I grew up in was that any time the garbage can went to the curb half empty he was doing the family a disservice. When they moved one 20 yard started the process, then multiple garage sales, then a 10 yard to finish.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Pete, My advice to my dad back when my parents still were in the house I grew up in was that any time the garbage can went to the curb half empty he was doing the family a disservice. When they moved one 20 yard started the process, then multiple garage sales, then a 10 yard to finish.

Dave,
Please, you need to talk to my wife! I haven't even mentioned the storage over the garage!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 4:21pm
Me and a Buddy are putting LED lights in the WLM Trophy Bases. Got my 2 finished and doing Dave's now.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:08pm
I'm off to the next project although it's not really "off topic winter" anymore! Now that I have the 1951 planer and jointer finished, I went looking for an old Delta shaper. I picked it up this morning from the same person I got the planer and jointer. He had offered it to me when I picked up the jointer but I didn't have the cash at the time. It's a 1959 HD 1.5 HP 3 phase so I'll have to add a VFD (variable frequency drive) for my single phase service. But, with a VFD, it gives you the ability to adjust the RPMS!!!

I've already cleaned up the top. I got all the rust off but under it I found again that they used the flat surface as an anvil plus, there are grind marks that they may have even used it as a welding table No respect for a decent piece of "old school equipment!! I don't feel I'll go to the extend of a table regrind on this one. The good old belt sander with the resin bonded 36 grit did a pretty nice job.

Getting all 3 pieces of old Delta woodworking equipment from the same person just happened to take me in a route within 2 blocks of Chris's (CQ) house. All 3 trips I stopped by and said hello as well as take a look at his and Kevin's (HW) Martinique. This morning, I rang the door bell at 10:30 in the morning and Chris answers it in a jammy's!!       (BTW also,I left before he had the had the chance to whack my pee pee )

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It's when the new neighbors move in with all their jet skis, tubes and bring all their friends and stay up all night hooting and hollering when you really wish you bought the property.

Yea, I heard Pete doesn't like competition for the "biggest tube on the lake" title.
Are any of you woodworkers familiar with the Shopsmith tools. A friend of mine recently bought one and he seems to be having fun with it. I am not a woodworker but I would like to give it a try sometime in the future. My impression is that the Shopsmith is for the home tinkerer, not a skilled woodworker, but I am probably wrong
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

My impression is that the Shopsmith is for the home tinkerer, not a skilled woodworker, but I am probably wrong

No John, you are absolutely correct. The Shopsmith was a "do it all" but not very well!! It takes you twice as long to convert it over to other functions that it actually takes to do the work! Yes, only for the "tinkerer"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:40pm
Pete, you are a fascinating person!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 11:09pm
Amazing Roger!

Nice work mate! At first glance I thought the big item was a
steam powered Juke box!
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic