Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S. - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.O.S. - Part Deux
    Posted: October-12-2011 at 12:47am
Well, now that my season is over, thought I would post a "conclusion" to this thread. Didn't want to jinx myself posting earlier. I ran 250 or so gallons of fuel through the boat since the water in oil problem, so I am pretty sure it was solved. I think it was the riser gaskets, though I also found one of the exhaust hoses was so deteriorated under the fuel tank that it actually kinked on me and caused a miss, then split wide open the week after I last posted here. That may have been related as well...ended up replacing all of the exhaust hose, no further issues.

Cooling system seems to be working great after the riser gasket replacement and fishing some impeller bits (left from the P/O) out of the thermostat housing the week after.

Anyway, thanks to all for your help here! It's been an educational season with my "new" boat for sure!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:06pm
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 12:28pm
Ahha, that makes sense.

I also experience some steam when I am accelerating hard a running full throttle, do you guys think that some water is leaking in the exhaust causing that? My manifolds are rusted on the bottoms and were JB welded by the previous owner. This probably means the inside is pretty bad as well? What are you thoughts. Should I replace ASAP or you think they could make it to the end of the season?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Originally posted by 76tique 76tique wrote:

Yes, I do have the one-way rubber flaps installed. Curious why you asked - I have read in other threads on this site that the flaps are unnecessary.

Does anyone know the purpose of these flaps?

Justin, the purpose of these flaps is to prevent water from being forced up the tailpipes when the boat is in reverse.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 11:44am
Careful of any metal filings going back into an open valve. I'd pull the manifolds to do the work.

I see a little pitting there too. However you decide to go, be careful of what you let pass as flat. A pine 2x won't stay flat even if it is to start with.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 10:52am
Tom - I recommend cleaning up the mounting surfaces by getting a flat wood block (short 2x6 for example) & stapling some emery cloth to it. Then keep it flat on the surface & sand until cleanup. No gasket sealer is needed. Run a tap into the threaded holes for cleanup of threads. Use new stainless screws. Torque to about 20 ft lbs. Use anti-seize on the threads.    Great that you found the problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 1:57am
I know Skidim has an exhaust hardware service kit with everything you need as far as bolts and gaskets:
Kit

Also looks like they have a lot of the bolts and things individually on the PCM Exhaust pages.

Do you have access to a compressor? These little Angle Grinders are good for stuff like that. I'm sure other brands make them cheaper. A Caddilac parts department could probably supply you with these special soft rubber nubby disks. They are used to remove corrosion from alloy wheels.

I'm sure there are other/cheaper options for resurfacing. Those did work well for removing bad metal without taking off too much good metal.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 11:43pm
Thought I would update this post...I've run another 40 gallons of gas through the boat and no signs of any water in the oil. Risers are still running hot with some steam out the exhaust on acceleration. I finally pulled them off to check out the gaskets tonight (way easier than I thought) and just as I suspected the gaskets were installed backward, with the blocked off part forward. Hopefully hot riser problem solved.

From what I can see, there isn't much corrosion going on. Didn't see any obvious water path through the gaskets. I was going to have the manifolds pressure tested, but now I am not so sure I want to remove them. Worried about breaking off bolts in the heads. I am thinking of just cleaning up the riser mounting surface and reinstalling with new gaskets. What do you guys think?

Some questions on reinstalling...

1. Should I use some kind of gasket cement? P/O seems to have used something.
2. How much torque on the bolts? I can't find a spec in the service manual.
3. There is some corrosion on the bolts. Good idea to swap to stainless? Or stick with these and use never seize? Never seize a good/bad idea for any reason?
4. What is the best way to clean mounting surface? I have scraped off with a razor blade. Was thinking of using emory cloth and a flat block to try and smooth out a bit, particularly the aft part of the water jackets where there seems to be a little corrosion.

Pics: note the risers are wet b/c I flushed with a garden hose to remove some rust scale above where the blocked off gasket was. Deposits inside the port manifold dropped out of the front of the riser when I pulled it off. I didn't see any obvious cracks/leakage looking down in the manifolds.

Port Manifold:

Port Riser:

Starboard Manifold:

Starboard Riser:

Any and all opinions appreciated...I am looking to get the risers reinstalled within the next couple of days. As always, thanks for your input guys!!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 2:26pm
Tom, Got your PM. For some reason I can't PM you back. Send me your email addy in another PM.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 7:17pm

Yes, I do have the one-way rubber flaps installed. Curious why you asked - I have read in other threads on this site that the flaps are unnecessary.

Does anyone know the purpose of these flaps?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 6:58pm
Tom, we will be out this Monday for sure.
1978 Nautique

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 6:20pm
Cool,

Thanks for the response.

Donald
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 11:15am
Thanks guys. Mark, we missed you out there on Monday! It was another epic day with great weather. We'll be back out again this Monday, hope to see you guys out there.

Brian, the motor runs right at 160 on the guage with almost no fluctuation. I do have a problem with a leaky raw water strainer gasket that I am going to fix this week, so I don't think cooling is 100%. I am just thinking about pulling the risers to have a look because I still have no idea where that water came from. Since it hasn't happened again yet I am pretty stumped, and think the exhaust may be the best bet (especially looking at the external condition of the manifolds/risers).

Donald, the skidim carb has been pretty much plug and play. All I have done so far is adjust the idle speed. I do have an issue with the front venturi boosters dumping fuel on the ramp - started a separate post on that one. I think I am going to have to play with the float level a little. But other than that, it runs great!!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 2:05am

Did you have to do much tuning on that new carb or was it mostly plug and play?   I am glad you do not have bigger problems at this point.

Donald
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 2:23pm
Nice sounds like you almost have it sorted. You might want to do the riser gaskets anyway. From some of the pics it looks like they are/were linking at some point.
1978 Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 2:01am
I guess it makes sense that the manifolds would be hotter now. Cylinders that aren't firing aren't generating any heat.

How is the temp gauge reading? Also, not sure if you mentioned if you checked the impeller etc. Are you pretty sure you're drawing in enough cool water (ie bucket test)? Worth checking before you pull the manifolds.

That's awesome that you got it running well

76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 1:17am
Well, I discovered why the boat was idleing rough when I was replacing the wires - 3 plugs were hooked up out of order! Probably also why the timing was so far off. I'm sure this was the cause of fouled #6.

The PO always had the boat "Pro" serviced by a now out of business dealer. Just goes to show you can't take anything for granted when dealing with "Pros"

I can't believe the boat was running as well as it was on 5 cylinders! Pretty embarrassing that I though it was running reasonably ok before...it now purrs like a kitten at idle and runs like new, blasts out of the hole and holds speed awesomely. 100% improvement with new carb and wires hooked up in the correct order!

Still no signs of water in the oil after another 6 hours on the lake. I'm guessing that the elevated oil level last time was due to fuel from the cylinders that were not firing. Risers are definitely way hot on top and cold on the bottom - seem hotter on top now that the boat is running right- planning on pulling them off to check this week. Based on the plug wires I am wondering if the riser gaskets are installed backwards...   

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:42am

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 2:41am
does you boat have the rubber flaps on the exhaust pipes end?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 1:40am
Thanks Brian. Definitely a confusing diagnosis with the battery cable issue I was having that day. Don't know why I didn't put that together sooner. I am thinking that a hydrolock might more common when sitting or cranking for an extended period due to the lack of exhaust gases flowing out the manifold /riser, if it is a minor leak. But really have no idea. The article you sent really makes me want to pull the exhaust manifolds or at least risers and have a look!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:34pm
Hey Tom,
Still following.
Your hydrolock scenario does seem plausible. I guess if water was in a cylinder long enough, it could work it's way down into the engine oil.

I found this article on Marine Exhaust Manifolds.

I know just a little about how the exhaust manifolds work and nothing about how they fail. I'd be interested to hear from someone more familiar.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:30am
Guys, thanks so much for your continued comments on my issues. Luch, I agree that unnecessary spending on parts would be foolish by me at this point. However, I have given some more thought to things. Brian, thanks for continuing to spur on the thought process here.

Not sure how much water it would take to be noticable in the oil. However, the last time I drained it (after 6 hrs on the lake) I didn't see any evidence of milkiness. I'm not actually 100% positive that the oil level was elevated after my last time out, as it looked ok with the boat in the water but measured higher on the trailer. I'm thinking that it might not be quite level on the trailer. Lately I have been thinking there may not have been any water as it seems to me it wouldn't take much to be noticeable.

Also, I have given more thought to what happened the day before I found the milky oil. Right at the end of the day, the boat was idleing very rough and stalled when my buddy was about to put it in gear to give me a pull. He was unable to start the boat and was having trouble getting it to crank with me in the water. We had been having trouble starting the boat all day due to a bad negative battery cable connection (which I have since fixed.)

I got back on board the boat, fiddled around with the negative connection, and got the boat to crank, but just barely and after a lot of fiddling. After several tries, it finally cranked fast enough to start and we headed back towards the ramp. We ran into our buddies (Mark Mel and Joe) just about at the ramp and shut down to chat for a while. This time on startup the boat cranked right over. We headed back to the ramp and pulled the boat as it was sunset. I found water in the oil a week later when checking it before heading to the lake.

At the time, I thought starting issues were all due to the bad battery connection. However, now I am thinking the boat may have been hydrolocked and that is why it cranked so slowly. So I am still thinking bad riser gaskets/manifolds on the water issue.

Is there any way I would be more likely to get more water in the cyls after excessive cranking with no start, if the riser gaskets/manifolds were leaky? As I am now thinking my buddy was cranking it a bunch with no start and me in the water before it started turning over slowly that day.

Amazing how complicated these issues can be, I am hoping with the new carb and better idling I won't be stalling/cranking so much.

I guess the two questions are - how much water in the oil to make it look milky/noticable? And, is my hydrolock scenario plausible? Right now I am just planning on running the boat after new carb/tuneup is complete and see if the hydrolock condition occurs again/keep a very close eye on the oil. Does this make sense? Should I be pulling manifolds to check first?

If you guys are still reading at this point, again, thank you all so much for any input!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 4:07pm

So, you guys are thinking my next step is to pull the intake and check it out? After my last trip to the lake (6hrs on water) the oil level appeared slightly elevated (1/2 qt maybe) but not milky at all.

1/2 of quart of water would really make a big foamy mess after 6hrs of run time, wouldn't it? If there was water really getting in there.

Could anything else cause his initial milky condition, built up condensation? Bad PCV or something?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 2:58am
Dont want to be hard on you but I'd wait a little for ordering unneeeded parts as you might be saving for some more expensive later.

Concentrate at one issue at the time, the oil/water issue is the most important I think. Then you play-tune it, carb and ignition.

How does the oil look now?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:25pm
Hey Brian, thanks for the input!

I agree that the carb seems like the likely culprit for my drivability issues. I have looked down the barrels while she is idleing, but didn't see any dripping going on. Haven't looked after shutdown - I'll check that. Although it seems weird that the boat wants a pump on the throttle to start when hot if it is already flooded.

My guess is that the idle and transition circuits may be dirty, and I'm not happy about the fuel leak from the float adjuster plug (on closer inspection someone had tried to repair it in the past with silicone), so I just ordered a new carb from SkiDim, just to eliminate those factors and take care of the safety issue.

The fouled plug was center forward on the port side (#6), not sure but I'm hoping it is a wire/cap issue since the compression test was good. Also ordered up new dist cap and wires-ones on the boat look pretty old.

I should have the parts for the weekend - we'll be taking the boat out again since I didn't see any obvious signs of water in the oil when I drained it last time. Hopefully she'll run right and I can concentrate on finding the water leak...I also ordered up gaskets for the intake and exhaust manifolds/risers, going to pull them off and check everything out if the water reappears after this weekend.

Thanks again everyone, stay tuned...

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 12:39pm
Tom,

Just to throw a curve ball at you. Is there a possibility your carb is leaking excessively, to the point where gas is getting into your crankcase? With that really fouled plug, and hard warm startup, I'd say you definitely have a fuel leak issue. A leaky carb can load up the engine, and make it tough to start. If it leaks enough, it can get past the rings into your crankcase too. Was that really fouled plug towards the back?

Next time you have your motor running, carefully remove the spark arrestor. Then shut the motor off. Tilt the choke plate if you have to and look down all 4 barrels. If you see fuel continuing to drip, then you have some kind of carb issue.

I'd tend to want to look at your carb before pulling the intake manifold, as it sounds like you could have issues there anyway, especially if you are no longer seeing obvious signs of water.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:55am
Thanks guys, really appreciate the continued input!

So, you guys are thinking my next step is to pull the intake and check it out? After my last trip to the lake (6hrs on water) the oil level appeared slightly elevated (1/2 qt maybe) but not milky at all.

Again, I just bought the boat in March, so can't say if it was overheated recently or winterized correctly. However, when I first went to look at the boat in early March it appeared that the block had been drained and filled with antifreeze per the manual. The PO had the boat for 20 years and seemed to know what he was doing with winterization, but I still really have no idea since the boat is new to me.

Also, the motor was replaced by Nautique dealer in 2001 (I have receipts), and according to the PO has about 100 hours on it. As far as I can tell the intake has not been removed recently. How likely is it for the intake gasket to go bad? I'm a little nervous about pulling it as they sound difficult to install, but I guess I don't have much of a choice at this point!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 9:46am
im with Luch, at some point you would notice a hydrolock if the exhaust manifolds were leaking, Yes they do look like they are leaking and need to be addressed, but, how is the oil now after a few runs?
im still leaning towards the intake as being the culprit
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 2:45am
if you had not water come out the cylinders, most likely the exhaust manifolds are ok and you have either an engine problem such as leaky intake gasket, a cracked head above the comp. chamber or a cracked sleeve below the piston.

do you winterize this boat? did you ever overheat the engine?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 1:33am
Hmmm, hot compression checked out...6 cyls at 125psi, two at 120psi. I guess that eliminates a head gasket/head issue?

Other stuff - Trying to figure out the fouled plug on #6 - Installed a new set of Autolite 24's gapped to .035, tried pulling some plug wires at idle, she definitely idles rough when warm, strangely #5 and #1 didn't seem to make much difference when pulled but the other plugs dropped rpm considerably. The cap and rotor look a little tired, I think I am going to change rotor cap and wires just for the heck of it. Discovered that the timing was way advanced - like 20degrees BTDC at idle. Weird, but she backfires on acceleration (no load in driveway) when I set it at 6 degrees. Hoping the cap/wires are the problem with #6.

Also noticed fuel leaking from the plug over the secondary float adjustment. Can this be fixed by rebuilding carb? I'm debating springing for a new Holley to see if it fixes the idle issues + take care of that fuel leak - makes me nervous.

Anyway I'm getting off topic - I think my next step on the water in crankcase issue is to pull the exhaust manifolds, have them checked out and reinstall with new gaskets. If that doesn't fix the issue, I guess the next step is to pull the intake manifold and check that gasket out. Do you guys agree? Or am I being premature thinking that the heads and head gaskets are ok based on compression test?

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic