Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Ski Nautique project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Ski Nautique project
    Posted: October-27-2012 at 1:47am
nice work! i cant believe how much fiberglass you got to leave in your hull and get your stringers out.i had to get every last bit off and it was still a struggle.keep up the good work
woodman935 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodman935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:48pm
Wow, what a project !!!. These are great boats, I owned one identical to this, never had any issues, just regular maintenance. I bought it from Correct Craft in Sacramento in 1987 with 120 hours on the clock and after 700 or so hours traded it in for a new 1996 in '96.
I have a picture of "the blue boat" hanging in my office.
My hull # CTC 15742 C 484.
You will have a wonderful boat when finished.
Woody
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 2:06pm
You are doing a wonderful job. She was disater and looking great.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 6:09pm
I'm finally at a point where I can post another update. Over the past few months I've been working mainly on disassembling the engine and cleaning up what I can. I've also ordered most of the seals that I need and carb rebuild kit so I'm ready once I decide what to do with the engine (do I just fix the one valve and spend the money on upgrading it next year, or do it all right now)..
Anyway, since it has been summer in March for us this week, I took the opportunity to bring the boat to my house and work on the stringers. What better way to spend four 80 degree days than in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, breathers and masks!

Here's where I left off in December and what I started with this week.

I cut out the glass from the stringers, drilled a few 1-inch holes and lifted them out with my engine lift.

As you can see, the stringers were still wet after sitting since labor day, and they were heavy. They came out perfectly though, so I have some great templates.

Then it was a matter of cutting the excess glass...

And grinding...

And grinding...

And grinding...

I used 7 or 8 flapper wheels on my angle grinder!

When I removed the blower assembly, I was greeted by this INSIDE the blower.

The wasp nest in addition to the big holes in the hose probably meant very little air was being pulled from the engine compartment when I ran the blower.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 4:22pm
Jeff,
Hey got your post and am responding about my us composites order. I spent alot time on phone with them as well as scouring the forum for a game plan. Are you going to go with an original floorplan or something different? Mine varies a little bit because I am going foamless with a plywood floor coated in fiberglass.

My order (I will most likely have to make another) was 500$ plus shipping which ended up more like 600$. But my fiberglass and foam needs are going to be less than the original design. After talking with us composites to get a layup of original thickness you will need about 5 layers of glass on the floor. Also it will take about 3 16lb foam kits. He also said for estimating purposes a quart of resin per yard of fabric is a good way to guess for most fabric. Also I got the epoxy resin not polyester. Dont forget to order CPES for any wood you may have, they dont sell at us composites, or at least I dont think so. post any other questions and I (or someone I am sure) will try to answer. I still have my shopping list if you want more detail but I am sure I missed some things. Other things I ordered were,
thickener
pumps for resin
mixing cups
fiberglass roller
tyvek suits
and some pigments ( wanted to fool around with colored resins, ive got some ideas for some side projects mainly some custom speaker boxes )
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:01pm
A few more of my work this weekend. Everything is out. 99.9% of the under-floor foam is gone. I still have the nasty sprayed foam on the transom and above the bow.

Here is the support below the front starboard edge of the rear seat. It was completely soaked and rotted. The port side wasn't as bad, but still wet.

Most of the foam comes out pretty easy with a shovel.

Why would they leave this 3/4" void and fill it with foam! As you can imagine, it was all soaked and the water had nowhere to go but in the stringers.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by verdi1 verdi1 wrote:

Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Yes, mine was small slit too. It felt like the coat hanger I shoved through broke through the glass/wood of the bulkhead.
I think I have a few more pics that may show it. I will post them tomorrow.

Thanks for the insight, just seems stupid they would have covered up or left very little oppening in the drain holes in that area.

BTW the capped vent hole you asked about in a picture is stock I would "assume" my 84 has the exact same set up, maybe a spare for a heater?

Phil - the pic I labeled "wow nasty stuff" up above is the only other good one I have of that drain to nowhere. You can see the pipe running under the battery box - that was from the cooler. I never did get a good look at how it came through the bulkhead because it was so rotted by the time I got that out, it was falling apart. And, this was the only part of the boat that really smelled and I was gagging trying to get this stuff out of there!
In the summer I stated that it felt like the hole was just poking through the bulkhead and it wasn't really a proper port. I still think that was the case. If you can get some light and a camera down by your pylon to take a pic of the bulkhead from the front, I would like to see it.

You're probably correct on why the 4th port was capped. Good to know it was factory though.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

to give an idea of using foam as a structural part of a boat, unlike the correct crafts, Im tearing into a century, there are no stringers at all and a relying on plywood and 2 by 8's horizontally, as the engine cradle, and then inject foam into the structure. pretty cheesy. but it is truly an empty shell with no mains running front to back

Eric, let me guess- that Century is a v-hull? The loading on a v-hull vs. a flat bottom are very different. CC built their v-hulls with shorter stringers and lots of horizontal bulkheads too.
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2011 at 1:07pm

Yes, mine was small slit too. It felt like the coat hanger I shoved through broke through the glass/wood of the bulkhead.

Thanks for the insight, just seems stupid they would have covered up or left very little oppening in the drain holes in that area.

BTW the capped vent hole you asked about in a picture is stock I would "assume" my 84 has the exact same set up, maybe a spare for a heater?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2011 at 11:43am
to give an idea of using foam as a structural part of a boat, unlike the correct crafts, Im tearing into a century, there are no stringers at all and a relying on plywood and 2 by 8's horizontally, as the engine cradle, and then inject foam into the structure. pretty cheesy. but it is truly an empty shell with no mains running front to back
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2011 at 3:01am
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 7:59pm
Jeff,

Congrats on the progress looks good! I just bought an 84 SN myself and noticed the battery and cooler box held water, cleaned them all out and shoved a hose down the drain hole to nowhere! I can see a small slit in a what looks like a cross member in front of the boxes and this is where my trickle of water came out but maybe there was a flaw in design on the 84's or your boat and mine were rigged by the same idiot production worker. Do you have picture of what you discoverd as far as plumbing in that area? Just curious before I go running a flex bit through there to clean things out.

Thanks for any help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you know legionaires started from bacteria from an air conditioner, when i see the wet foam, thats what i think of

Yes, I've been in the hotel in Philly where it started.    There was some nasty standing stinky water that I found this weekend.

On to the pics...

Here's my work area. It is nice to have so much room. I also have great lighting and a dumpster 20 steps away.

Under the bow being chopped up.

My 8-year-old son is the perfect size to fit under the bow and he was a great help. His pay was a new Wii game...

The floor is removed under the driver's seat. Lots of delamination here... Next is to remove the cooler and battery box.

Yuck. And here's my "drain to nowhere" from the cooler. In this pic the cooler is removed and rotated upside down. The drain fitting you see has a flat piece of plastic in it... it used to be a tube but now it is 2-dimensional.... So it was letting all of the water go under the foam.

Wow.. nasty stuff!

Here's my full dumpster:

And here's how it looks now. Waiting for next weekend...

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 11:24am
you know legionaires started from bacteria from an air conditioner, when i see the wet foam, thats what i think of
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 3:53am
I've been working on it the past few weeks with some significant progress this week. I'm hoping I can get a lot done on this 4-day weekend.
The foam on the passengers side is mostly dry. Definitely not saturated. However, scroll down to see what the driver's side looked like!

Here it is before starting the work. I removed the gas tank today and the carpet and am ready to dig into the floor.

Before I show you the floor, here are the 4 ports for the vents under the bow. Notice the right-most was capped off. Is this normal?

Oh boy.. The observer side looks OK but the driver's side is quite wet. The boat hasn't seen water for 6 weeks yet it is soaked!

This was the base below the driver's seat. It just melted in my hands.

Yup, that is standing water that I found after pulling the foam.

I could squeeze water out of the foam...
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 3:23pm
Here's an update to my project:

• Fixed all the holes where the top meets the bottom (which the rub rail covers). I used the Spectrum color match and I have to say, it came out perfect.

• I also used some more Spectrum to repair a few dings and gouges in the hull. Most of those still need to be sanded over a bit.

• Put on the new rubrail and rope. I'm not exactly happy with it... it was a very hot day and I think maybe we stretched it too much because it isn't perfectly straight now. I can live with it but if I do a total restore, I will probably re-do it with a new one.

• Cleaned everything I could with my wire wheel.

• Cleaned up the teak platform brackets and reinstalled them with a healthy amount of 5200.

• Cleaned, sanded, added 3 coats of teak oil to the platform. It is MUCH better than it was when I got it, but still isn't that great. It is really absorbing the oil and still ending up faded looking. I may try to build one out of jatoba this winter. A local lumber store has it for about $7/bdft.

• Changed the oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

• Got a new (clearance from Christine's) observer seat bottom. Had my mom and wife make covers for the remaining seats with blue terry cloth. They came out great and will be fine until I reupholster the whole thing.

I took it out for the first time this weekend and it ran OK. I had a few issues with restarting after it had warmed up which I will need to take care of. This is 2nd on the list now to installing a new impeller. The PO told us that he had just replaced the impeller and I should have checked, but didn't. We had good temps for the 2 hours I drove it early Sunday. Came back to the water later on Sunday and had an overheating issue. Had to be towed back to the dock by Jeff's 77 Nautique. (It was a good thing my mechanic was there! :) ). Last night I took off the RWP and cleaned it up so it is ready for the new impeller.

Still to do this season:

• Get a new battery. The one that I have works great, but the dimensions are wrong and it doesn't allow me to put the cover on it. I waited to make sure the boat would be sea-worthy this year before getting a new one

• Get the horn to work

• Gas gauge isn't working; fix that

• Install depth finder

• calibrate speedos

• Install RWP / Impeller

• eliminate water leakage from rudder

• Securely mount the front intake vents. I bought new ones and the holes are slightly off... right now they are just inserted in and not going anywhere, but I want them to be screwed in (obviously).

Hopefully this will get me to the end of the season and I'll do the major stuff over the winter.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 3:26pm
The ideal way to fix those holes (both in the vent and rub rail) would be to put a layer or 2 of glass behind them, and then fill them with thickened resin. A high strength filler like microfiber or aerosil-cabosil would be best since you want to screw into the holes again when reinstalling. If you can reinstall the rub rail without fear of having to reuse any of the old holes, then you could get away with a sealer (like 5200) or filling the holes with a lower strength filler, or without having to backing it with glass first.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 3:04pm
Bumpity! Looking for suggestions on fixing those holes where the bow intake vents mount.
Also, what do I use to fill in the old holes from the original rub rail?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:33pm
Oh one more question... I assume it is suggested that I fill in all the holes where the original rub rail was mounted. Is that a job for 3M 5200?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 7:29pm
It's Naked! The blue color is coming back and she's starting to shine. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off and will have some help those days so hoping to have a good amount done by the end of the Weekend.

What suggestions do you guys have for fixing the holes here where the bow intake vents mount?

Thanks!
Jeff
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2011 at 12:58am
iknow your swim platform has some cracks but dont be shy with a sander.mine was worse,i refinished every hole with a file,retrimed all the edges and grooves and then did the teak resto kit.it looks pretty good by anyones standards.wear a mask,that dust is nasty.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

And of that 8,600 stainless screws, maybe 10 of them were not bent.

Yes! I couldn't believe how many were bent. Today was garbage day and I had to decide if I should throw them away or save them to be recycled. I saved them...

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:51am

After taking the remaining 8,597 stainless screws out, I was left with this:

You must be missing a couple of screws. All mine have had 8,600 stainless screws in the rub rail.   

And of that 8,600 stainless screws, maybe 10 of them were not bent.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Dude I like you ambition but even if it arrives Friday you've got a ton of work to do before you’re ready for that step.

LOL true... I just wanted to check the stuff out.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 7:40pm
Dude I like you ambition but even if it arrives Friday you've got a ton of work to do before you’re ready for that step.

Joe’s synopsis of the rub rail screws is right on.
My '85 when I bought it had a little section by the corner of the windshield on the driver’s side that took the same hit.

Here's what it look's like under the floor in the battery box area minus a bunch of water soaked foam.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:06pm
Thanks Pete. I did buy a color match kit last night. Hoping it arrives on Friday.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:30pm
Jeff,
For smaller quantities of gel, patch kits are available from almost any marne supply. They come with tints to match your color of gel - that's the tricky part!!!

Also, check out Mini-craft of florida for smaller quantities. They also have a color matching service (for a fee) but you need to send them a quarter size or bigger sample of your gel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:08pm
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks. For patch paste, are you talking Spectrum Color patch paste? I just called them and minimum order is a gallon for ~$220.
Good idea about making the small groove.

Tim - Thanks... I can't see in there so I'm going to take some pics tonight to see what it really looks like. There is certainly no factory drain going into the bilge there... from what I can feel with my hand.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 12:56pm
Joe has the same idea that I do. A bolt or a pretty big nail sticking out from the dock. No bumpers and large wave action took out the rub rail and the bolt/nail went after the hull gel. Some people just don't care!!! That is reflected with the dry wall screw "repair" as well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 12:35pm
They got there when the rub rail was smashed down on a dock and tore out.. the screws when with it and caused the damage. Then they jammed it back down smashed it with a mallet and stuck some drywall screws into it to keep it down. I think patch paste is going to be your friend if you are really looking to take that boat back to glory. I would grind a groove all the way around the boat in the gelcoate just below where the rub rail will cover and only repair above the groove. That will keep the stress cracks from coming up from the holes for the rub rail screws. Anything above the grind line that is already cracked you would need to go down to glass there and repair with the patch paste. Then of course smooth, wetsand.. yadda yadda. If you want to come by and pracice on my 95 first I have the patch paste already on hand.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic