NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 name origin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 name origin
    Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:02pm
Does anyone know why the 80's ski nautiques have the model 2001? Does anyone know of any signfigance of this number or why they called them 2001s?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:35pm
From an old thread on the topic.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pete is the closest, at least as far as my understanding goes. 1981 was the 20 anniversary of the nautique. Hence the 1982 nautique, the first year of the 2001 model was year 01 following the 20 anniversary. (20-01) I heard further that there was some discussion that the 1983 was going to be a 2002 and so on, but that seems unlikely to even have been a plan that was not carried through on.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:43pm
Why was it called a 2001?

Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of speaking with Ralph Meloon Sr. This is the third time we have spoken and I continue to be impressed with all that he has accomplished with Correct Craft and in his personal life. Not only was he a great boat builder and business man, but he�s also a great giver and survivor. At the age of 90 he�s still very much aware of things. He's a pleasure to talk with and very appreciative of the site and what it does for Correct Craft.

During this most recent conversation, we happened get on the topic of the 2001 hull and he proceed to tell me the story behind the 2001 name ...

As all of you know, the 20th anniversary of the Ski Nautique was 1981. Well, in 1982 Correct Craft gave the Ski Nautique its first major hull redesign and they subsequently called it the 2001 hull, or 20 01, as in the first model after the 20th anniversary. The original idea was there would be a 2002 hull the next year, 2003 after that, 2004 and so on. Well, the response to the 2001 hull was so overwhelming that they decided to stick with it and continued to make the 2001 hull through 1989.

Some of you may have known that story but I did not. It's a great bit of Correct Craft trivia.

-Keith

The 2001 was actually the Ski Nautique's 2nd major hull redesign, but who's counting?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 6:48pm
cool, I knew someone on here would know.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2011 at 3:55pm
justin,you do realize your 2001 decals are backwards?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2011 at 7:02pm
Cool boat, Justin. Do you have more photos to share?

Larry, you're absolutely correct. That was the first store Ralph Meloon shared with me. There should have been a Ski Nautique 2002, 2003, 2004, etc. Each year it was supposed to change. I was told because the first year's sales of the Ski Nautique 2001 were so strong, Correct Craft didn't want to change the 2001. As a matter of fact, Mr. Meloon stated that at one point, people were just referring to the boat as "the 2001". He was really proud telling that story.

The people who don't know Correct Crafts think my 2001 graphic refers to the year it was made.

Ken
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2011 at 7:04pm
Ditto, Tim, I just caught your reply. Anyway, the rest is history.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

The people who don't know Correct Crafts think my 2001 graphic refers to the year it was made.

I get it ALL the time; then I tell them no that's the "Model" #... it's actually an 1988. Then I watch their jaw drop.....I love it! Makes an owner proud.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
river ratt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote river ratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 2:10am
I just purchased a 87 sn 2001 . now that I know this fact it just got a little cooler
dont slip on the glass
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 8:15pm
At some stage during 1989 they made a "2001 limited" model. I seem to have this going by my decals
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:38am
That is sweet Nevergrew!!!

This is funny....here all along I thought "2001" meant the boat was 20' 01" long from the nose to the back of the platform.

Mr. Meloon ought to be damn proud of this boat. Look at the how the 2001 can hold it's own against the newest $80K-$100K wakeboard boats. It's nothing short of a astounding that in 1982 the boffins (yes...I watch a lot of Top Gear) at CC would design a hull that can do what it does.

Bravo Mr. Meloon...bravo!
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Mr. Meloon ought to be damn proud of this boat. Look at the how the 2001 can hold it's own against the newest $80K-$100K wakeboard boats. It's nothing short of a astounding that in 1982 the boffins (yes...I watch a lot of Top Gear) at CC would design a hull that can do what it does.

Bravo Mr. Meloon...bravo!

In 1982 Mr Meloon, nor anyone else for that matter, knew anything about wakeboarding. The 2001 hull at the time might have been an excellent trick ski hull but for slalom skiing it was terrible. It just so happens that wakeboarding got invented and these hulls became extra popular for the next generation of riders. If it hadn't though, these hulls would have all been lined up and burnt to the ground

Thanks GOD for wakeboarding hey !!
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 9:39am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Look at the how the 2001 can hold it's own against the newest $80K-$100K wakeboard boats.

No they cant.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic