NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do 2001s ride?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do 2001s ride?
    Posted: July-09-2011 at 11:03pm
Ok...first, I tried searching for 30 minutes or so...so be gentle!

Anyway, how do the famous 2001s ride in moderate chop? How about when a 40' yacht goes by? Is the nose in danger of going under?

I want an inboard ski boat, but as it will be my only boat, it will have to be able to handle a variety of water.

I normally boat on the St Croix river (during the week when it's empty), but I also would be using it in Northern Wisconsin.

What do you experts think?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 11:38pm
Matt - If you are going to be using the boat in moderately rough water, then I don't think you want a SN, of any year. I would recommend a deep vee, like the Southwind or Barefoot Nautique.

Yes, the nose is easy to bury.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 12:29am
I have always wanted a SN 2001. However, instead, I have a '76 Southwind 18. Its not the peppiest boat in CC fleet, but, it handles rough water really well. I also like the classic CC styling of the boat.

For the most part, my kids wakeboard and ride on top of large round inflatable vinyl devices that are covered in olefinic or polyamide based fabrics, and we also do recreational skiing behind it. So, for as much as I would like the get up and go and flat wake of a SN, the SW has been hard to beat for its ability to handle rough waters and for general water sports. It has a flared bow that throws water out to the side when going through chop from the 40' cruisers. The nose has never come close to being underwater.

So, I think it really depends what you want the boat to do. If you are a hard core slalom god that will use the boat on private lakes, or only in the early AM on public waters, the Southwind is NOT for you. If you are on public waters during peak hours, and just want a classic inboard with a good ride, the Southwind or '86-'89 Martinique/Riviera boats would be good choices.   
jeffro28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 12:35am
I have an 1985 sn 2001 and I can say in rough water my boat beats me to death. How ever I love my 2001 its great for wake boarding(not that I'm any good at it) it doesn't have a lot of room but IMO a great boat and sounds sweet and I wouldn't give mine up for anything.    Just my opinion
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 1:18am
I have a 1987 2001 in Minnetonka. Let me know if you would like a test drive. I take mine on lake minnetonka, I do not have the problems with water over the bow that some seem to, but it is a rough ride out by big island on a weekend. These are tournament ski boats, designed for that purpose only. They where never where ment to be a family cruiser. It is like taking a ferrari out to 4 wheel. Still they are a blast to drive and very well built boats. If you sit in the back in rough water you get a very smooth although somewhat wet ride. In front you are dryer but very bouncy. Full throttle in chop does not go well.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 1:24am
By the way, it sounds just like your example. Aahhhhhhhh. music to my ears.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 2:51am
OverMyHead, I will most certainly take you up on your offer.

When I return from vacation (July 15th), I will PM you so we can iron out the details. I'm very interested.

Thank you so much for the offer.

-----------

Looking locally, there is a Dominique (sp?) for sale. Here is a link ---> http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29020

The Southwind looks nice...but finding one that's solid (ie great interior, great exterior, solid floor and stringers, mechanically sound) would be very difficult.

Right now, I'm looking at this 2001:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/2481811949.html
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 2:53pm
I will be at Green lake through the 17th, we can connect after that.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 2:56pm
1987 Ski Nautique

drake67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drake67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 3:15pm
Sorry but the 2001 will probably not meet your needs. Without proper driving and sometimes even with it; you will be swamped! Choppy water equals rough gut busting ride.
The 2001 is a great ski boat and my favorite. Our first was an 82 and my dad still has it pulling today. I remember the first weekend out right off the showroom floor; we hit an unmarked boulder in the Brazos River. Short day, short weekend and stayed clear of dad… Glad he was the driver.
Later around 85 or 86 an idiot hit my dad from behind when he was returning from a great weekend on the lake. The boat was thrown off the trailer through the air and stopped by a power pole. Ugly site and we thought that was the end of her life.

Well she was repaired and is still pulling hard to this day. Since then, only normal maintenance each year. The 2001 will become part of your family but be ready to get wet and ride rough.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 4:13pm
I'm glad that you can get a test-drive. It might be better than you think, or it might be worse. Your reaction might depend upon what you drive today and what you call "light chop".
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 7:19pm
The 2001 hull is perfect for flat calm water. It does ok with sight chop from boats its size. Any more than that, forget about it. I slow down to about 5MPH to hit any large waves from average size lake boats. Sounds like a Barefoot Nautique or Dominique boat would work better for you. The hull on those boats are nice and deep. They take the larger waves much better than the Ski Nautique 2001.

Ken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 12:20pm
TBH, IU think the boat I'm looking for is a Martinique/Dominique, Supra Pirata, Maristar, etc.

I do like the sound of the mid-80s CCs. They have the nicest sound which is loud...but not raspy, tinny, or obnoxious. But finding one of those boats with solid stringers would be a task.

The Maristar has fiberglass stringers...but I'm not a huge fan of the boats styling. The CCs have a more traditional "boat" look to them which is a HUGE plus.

The Supra Pirata I really know nothing about, but I do like the small cuddy under the front. But the idea of the very thirsty 454 and wood stringers is a MAJOR turn off. However there is one locally that looks fantastic with a BRAND NEW 454. I'm highly considering that one.

If I could find a Dominique...or even better a Martinique with fiberglass stringers from pre 1989, a great interior, non-faded exterior and is mechanically sound...I would be in heaven.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 12:34pm
Anyone who says that a 2001 doesnt take chop well has never ridden in a similar vintage tournament inboard from any other manufacturer (MC, Supreme, etc). The 2001 rides like a Caddy and takes waves much better than the others. The nose is also easier to keep from dipping.

That being said, it wont ride like a deep vee boat- CC or otherwise. Everyones opinion of "choppy" varies quite a bit... its all relative. Of course, you can survive a large lake in a small boat with proper driving techniques- it just wont be a pleasant experience when the wind/waves are up.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Anyone who says that a 2001 doesnt take chop well has never ridden in a similar vintage tournament inboard from any other manufacturer (MC, Supreme, etc). The 2001 rides like a Caddy and takes waves much better than the others. The nose is also easier to keep from dipping.

That being said, it wont ride like a deep vee boat- CC or otherwise. Everyones opinion of "choppy" varies quite a bit... its all relative. Of course, you can survive a large lake in a small boat with proper driving techniques- it just wont be a pleasant experience when the wind/waves are up.

Well...I don't plan on going out on the St Croix River when it's choppy from the wind. The majority of waves will come from boats...from inflatable dingys to 45' yachts. And I usually go out during the week when the river is much less congested.

As for chop...I just want the boat to ride rather well, on a plane, with winds no greater than 10 or so MPH.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:15pm
Also as far as burrying the nose, if you get a SN it will happen a couple times until you figure out how to avoid or handle. If you come into a 2-3ft wave head on at a slow idle, be prepared to get wet!!! My 2001 does best with waves at around 30 and doesnt ride to bad through chop. Its the big stuff that really slams you.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:34pm
P71,Be very careful on 80's vintage supras.rot box's.i had one w/very low hours and every peice of wood was mush.the 454 was thirsty to say the least.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:07pm
Well I'm going to stray from the rest of the crowd which is trying to scare you away from a 2001.

Can you bury the nose?..yes, but only if you're doing something wrong. Easy to avoid.

Does it handle chop well? I tend to think so, and like Tim mentioned, it's relative. You said you want an inboard ski boat, and I would have to say of all the boats in that category, the 2001 probably rides better than most.

I highly recommend taking that test ride OMH is offering.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:18pm
Certainly a big selling point of the 2001 when it came out was that it was considerably better than previous inboard ski boats at handling moderate chop. So as others have said it is all relative. Do take a test ride and see what you can live with. That being said a BFN does make a great big lake boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:29pm
90's Barefoot / Excel, is about as smooth as you'll get for a CC, even if it's relatively new around here. If you mostly ski though it's a pretty rough wake to cross, but works well for anything else.   I'm sure the sound is in there, same 351 Ford, but the I've gotten to like the giant muffler, I can actually talk to people in the boat when I want to. Dipping the bow takes skills, took me 3 years to get it, having people or ballast would have helped, but it's hard enough to do that you have to try.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:10pm
Better than just a ride on my boat , you should come to green lake this weekend for the reunion and a chance at a ride/drive in
1st geneartion ski nautiques
2001's
196's
ski tiques
mustangs
sports
skier
barefoots
southwinds
SNOB's
Air nautique
plus a few I am sure I forgot. We could probably even get you a pull in a tube behind Petes atom! Not to mention a chance to meet the best people on this earth.
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:22am
Here is a nice '88 Martinique for you. Not too awful far away from Minnesota. I emailed the owner. Its a gray hull, with black and blue trim stripes. The cool thing is that its riding on one of those badboy CC tandem axle trailers. I wouldn't mind having this one myself. But, I would prefer the Taffy Ivory hull color.

1988 Martinique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 3:27am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Here is a nice '88 Martinique for you. Not too awful far away from Minnesota. I emailed the owner. Its a gray hull, with black and blue trim stripes. The cool thing is that its riding on one of those badboy CC tandem axle trailers. I wouldn't mind having this one myself. But, I would prefer the Taffy Ivory hull color.

1988 Martinique

Wow...that is a nice boat...but I would be very worried about the stringers. Plus, that is a long way to go to try and get it checked out etc...but that is exactly what I want. The price is a bit low as well....unless the interior is trashed.

I have written the Supra off because it has the 454. I don't need those fuel bills.

--------------------

As far as ride goes, here's what keeps me coming back to the 2001...and boats like it. My friend goes out on the St Croix river with the same 40' yachts in a 16' Alumacraft fishing boat with a 40HP Johnson. I can't believe that a 2001 would be worse than that on the river...would it? How could it be?

I received this e-mail back from a gentleman on this 2001 ---> CLICK!

Quote Hello Matt,
Sorry about the taking a little bit to get back to you, we have been busy. You are asking all the right questions about the boat, sounds like you know them well.

1. Yes there is a cover, it is in good shape not perfect but good shape. It is a generic one but still fits pretty well. There is a few small tears but nothing major.
2/4. When we got the boat (I believe in 1999) it was completely original. A few tears in the upholstery, carpet worn, heavily oxidized, and some fiberglass cracked around the stringers. We cut the cracked fiberglass away found no damage or cracking to the stringers, re-glassed then painted the bilge. Painted the engine. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor. New mufflers, exhaust pipes. New gel battery. Re-carpeted and reupholstered the whole boat. Buffed, polished the boat. Put new rope in the bumper around the boat. Added the New Alpine stereo.
3. As far as maintenance records we do all of our own maintenance. We change the oil every year with Valvoline oil and Wix filters. And replace the transmission fluid every few years. Last year our starter started to stick occasionally so I had is gone threw, replaced the coil, and ignition switch and thought we had it taken care of. We haven't had a problem last year or this year until sunday so it looks like I will have to put a new starter in this weekend.
4. We checked the floor out when we replaced the carpet and it was solid, it still is.
5. The trailer is in good mechanical shape, we did also replace the lights,wiring and carpet on the bunks a few years back. Cosmetically I would rate it a 6 out of 10, one of the fenders was bent when I got it, it is the original paint a little surface rust here and there.
6. The boat sounds great in fact one of our friends we were boating with yesterday mentioned it.
7. I have brought this boat to some pretty big water and it has handle it fairly well. The boat has a mostly flat bottom to smooth the wake for skiing so at certain speed in heavy waves it can be jarring. But it has never stopped me from taking it to the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers, Lake Minikonka, Lake Okaboji, etc.

As I think I mentioned in the ad we are looking for a open bow and do not have one picked out yet. We use our boat quit a bit so are not real anxious to sell it without another boat lined up. About the structural integrity and mechanical condition. We have used it for year, it is almost a part of our family and sometimes think I am crazy to think about selling it.

If you have any more questions please call or write.

Thank You

This boat sounds very nice...and if you believe in superstition...that town is 10 miles from where I bought my immaculate truck...that is also grey. That's GOT to be a sign...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:04pm
Seems like a decent seller as well, go for it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 11:43pm
I had a few people in green lake tell me my 2001 handles the chop better than thier ealier or later versions. When do we ride?
1987 Ski Nautique

martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 1:21am
Take advantage of your opportunity to check out both the 2001 and 88 Martinique then you will be sure. You are asking a good question.
river ratt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote river ratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 1:13am
my 87 sn 2001 rides great did notice a little bounce on chop or other boat wakes but driving is key to curtail this issue. I was on the otherhand in a pretty flat running river with most boats not much bigger besides the pontoons.
dont slip on the glass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:42am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I had a few people in green lake tell me my 2001 handles the chop better than thier ealier or later versions. When do we ride?

I don't know if you saw the other thread I created.....but I have bought a 2001. I spent 3+ hours on the water with the seller and was nothing more than astonished at how well it rode. I was expecting a horrid ride but in reality it was very, very good. I have zero reservations about the boat now!

Here is the thread:

LINK
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:07am
Congrats on the new boat, I am glad it meets/exceeds your expectations. you just cant go wrong with a CC. Enjoy.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 2:00pm
man, I wish my 86 was that clean. Ill get it there. I love that little detail on he gray interior with the dimples. I may have to try and copy that when I get my new interior. Also, did he paint the dash console? Looks like its all one color, mine is faded but you can still see some of the original decals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic