NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 20>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 4:47pm
Eric, the govt accounting office just came out stating Obama care will increase the cost of health care, not reduce it. How does increasing the cost help?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Tom351 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Bush and Obama went out for a steak and lobster dinner and Bush skated on the bill

Actually they charged the bill on a nearly maxed out credit card- and Obama has an obscenly HUGE house (3x the size of Bush's obscenly huge house) so he cannot make both the mortgage payment and the credit card payment with his income- And rather than downsizing to a more affordable house he is saying "If we dont increase my credit line I will not be able to pay my mortgage....or if I pay the mortgage then I will miss my credit card payment and either will show up on my credit score so I need to borrow more to preserve my credit score.....Oh, and I want to make some additions to my house so I need to borrow for that as well"
Time to downsize to a smaller house.......

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 7:33pm
Cut everyones budget 5% to free up some money to cover bills (eliminating the need to raise the debtceiling) Then go over the books dept by dept ady by day and cut out all the bullsh** funding, overpayments, Get the IRS to re write the tax codes, eliminating those loop holes. No need to kill SS or Medi care just fix the programs.

Give each congress person 3-4 depts to fix. You are not elegible to run for reelection until your debt of yor dept is fixed. No speeches, no blame, just pencils with big erasers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

On the same issue the Bush tax cuts are set to expire and the Republicans are so busy doing nothing with the debt, have they forgotten about them? That alone will provide 4 trillion.

If this theory were true dairy queen could become instantly rich by charging ten bucks a cone, "lets see , we sell a million cones a year, we bump up our prices by 8 bucks a cone , and we are quareenteed to make an extra 8 million!" or will people go elsewhere for icecream or just give it up. The left convieniently forgets that the bush tax cuts for the "rich" resulted in a net increase of about 400 billion (This is from memory) in federal tax recievables. There is no direct corralation to increasing taxes and increasing revenue. Businesses and individuals change their behaviors based on tax rates. You dont get the kind of money the "rich" have by blindly making decisions. People look at the return on their investment and they think years ahead. If they are considering building a factory they look at what their money can earn from other sources,such as stocks,gold, bonds..., If they cannot exceed the rate of return from these sources they will not bother. If you increase the tax rates of profits from the evil business by a few percent and that drops the rate of return below other investments the factory does not get built, the govenment does not collect its cut and a few hundred jobs never get created. The same goes for how hard a company work to decrease its tax burden. If they feel they are unfairly burdrened by taxes it is easy to justify unfair tactics to lower them, or just plain moving the revenue centers to another country with lower tax and regulation burdens. Tax revenue has historically incresed everytime rates were lowered, it worked for Bush, for Reagen, and even Kennedy. If you want to punish the rich at the cost of lower government revenues you can raise taxes. if you want to increase government revenues you need to lower taxes, grow the economy and make it up on volume. It works every time.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

[QUOTE=ononewheel]

On the same issue the Bush tax cuts are set to expire and the Republicans are so busy doing nothing with the debt, have they forgotten about them? That alone will provide 4 trillion.

By the way the republicans have been very busy having their plans to cut the debt rejected by the President and senate. Perhaps you heard some things about a balanced budget amendment, cut cap and balance. Not exactly nothing. The Pres has done nothing but scare seniors and say no to anything that might help the situation.
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 10:40pm
Obama has spent money like a drunken sailor for the past 2 1/2 years. Then, in the month when we have the debt debate fight, he comes out for the cameras and says things like....."We must balance our budget" or "We must reduce spending". What a joke!! He flaps his jaws A LOT, but, does the absolute opposite.

Like Charles Krautheimer says...."Don't listen to what Obama says, watch what he does".

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:21am
so if we drop a pubby in there in 012, you guys gonna shift blame or just say Obma did it? I'll remember these days, so watch what you write....by then im sure I'll figure out how to quote
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:25am
mike, that same procedure 10 years ago was 2 grand, if that
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:48am

so if we drop a pubby in there in 012, you guys gonna shift blame or just say Obma did it? I'll remember these days, so watch what you write....by then im sure I'll figure out how to quote

Apparently we can blame obama for at least three years because he is still blaming Bush. I said it became Obama, Polosi, and Rieds economy the day Obama was elected,and I saw sweeping changes in spending patterns and doubling the rate of deficit spending. It partially became the new houses economy when they were sworn in two years later. I was dissapointed when Boener caved on last years spending bill, but now the arguments are starting to resonate and this last agreement has some promise. It does not go nearly far enough but we are heading in a better direction.

Eric, you never answered my guestion, how does Obama care increasing the overall cost of health care as a percentage of GDP faster than it was increasing with out it help the situation? We were sold it as a cost reducing measure. The same report predicts public uproar when we start to see hopitals and clinics closing as Drs leave the field due to reduced reimbursments. At the same time we will add 30 million new insured to be treated by these fewer physicians leaving long wait times for MRIs, surgerys... and rationing of care to keep the cost increases minimalised. How is this better?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 12:38pm
Is medicare medicaid not a federally funded program? i love the new birth control legislation...ones in charge a starting to see population increase...october we will surpass 7 billion on this rock

first off you set guidelines and make a catarac surgury a flat price, not whatever you feel, standardize these pracitces, for god sakes in other contries doctors are not put on a pedestal and considered next to god. a captain of a boat has more pull
i dont even know what the cost of these programs are, but at 9600.00 per surgery, i would imagine its in the trillions.....you guys yack about less spending but.............................you need the regulation,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 12:41pm
foriegn Doctors are more than happy to come over here and make low 6 digit incomes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 12:44pm
what? are the doctors leaving their field to pursue a job at the 7-11. there are doctors all over this contry working for the VA hospitals below the 6 digit income
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 1:59pm
Math Trick   

First - Get the complete text of President Obama's budget/debt-extention plan. Then the text of Harry Reid's plan as well.

Then - Assign every letter a number A=1, B=2, C=3, etc. and add all the numbers in each plan.   

Finally - Add Obama's total and Reid's total.   

Then ask someone to think of a number between one and ten. They will always pick a number greater than the final Obama/Reid total.

Nobody is sure why this works. The magic of math I guess.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 3:22pm
Bush spent in his last year 2.1 trillion, and this year alone Obama has spent over 6.0 trillion dollars and sking for more.

We want straight cuts across the board, way it should be, economy strives on that. Rich make more money, hhhhhhmmmmmmmm and they hire people.

Damb Obama rama almost got away with they wanted to cut Medicare, Medicade, Social security and Veterans pay for a month or 2 because we cant pay our bills. And now they want to borrow more... Geeezzzz

P.S You save money, you save money, you save money, U dont freeking borrow more to pay bills. Freeking igornant...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 5:42pm
They all suck, I hate politics/politicians. Everything they do is so impractical (both sides). They are out of touch with reality. All they care about is votes and making the other guy look bad. We should have 2 term limits on all congressional seats. I hate the fact that the guy with most money always wins. No wonder we cant get anything real accomplished.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 8:24pm

Is medicare medicaid not a federally funded program? i love the new birth control legislation...ones in charge a starting to see population increase...october we will surpass 7 billion on this rock

first off you set guidelines and make a catarac surgury a flat price, not whatever you feel, standardize these pracitces, for god sakes in other contries doctors are not put on a pedestal and considered next to god. a captain of a boat has more pull
i dont even know what the cost of these programs are, but at 9600.00 per surgery, i would imagine its in the trillions.....you guys yack about less spending but.............................you need the regulation,

Eric, you have still not answered my question. We got more regulation than anyone ONE person can really comprehend with obama care, it was supposed to reduce costs but it was just realeased by the government that it will increase the costs at a greater rate than if it would have been left to the private sector. HOW DOES THIS NEW REGULATION HELP????
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 3:21am
I see now Obama care has mandated birth control and breast pumps be covered by all insurance policies, with no co-pay. It is amazing how these new regulations are driving down the cost of insurance. If you have High BP you have to pay a co-pay for meds that are needed to insure your health, why are recreation oriented meds free? Sorry Eric but this is not the way to reduce healthcare costs. They say doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result is the definition of insanity, But we turn again and again to the government to solve our problems, with no criteria for success. We have been fighting the war on poverty since the 40s with no change in the percent of people in poverty. We have trusted the governmnet to fight teen pregnancy and venerial diseases since the 60's and numbers grow. Medicare and social security are scheduled to go broke. Medical costs rise because we mandate insurance companies to pay for recreational, cosmetic, and experimental treatments. Government is not the answer, unless the guestion is "How can we quarentee that we spend a lot of money while things get worse?"
1987 Ski Nautique

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:27pm
It looks like a plan to raise the debt ceiling is or has been passed. My $.02 here. We are in for some major economic pain. Pain like none we've felt in our lifetimes. We spend more than we make...period. Whether we are an individual, a small business, or a country, the income must exceed the outflow or we are doomed in the long run.

I think that as painful as it would be, we would've been better off to default, receive a credit downgrade suffer the consequences (I.e. late payments to SS, veterans, and all of the other obligations that we have etc.) and learn from this colossal mistake that we have been making for years. No, I'm not in support of screwing our seniors or veterans out of what they were promised. We've overpromised as a country and we will under deliver in the long run. I think it's better to suffer now than suffer a much more severe punishment a few years from now.

By raising the debt ceiling we are delaying the inevitable and that is a credit default which will result in horrible economic times. When the dust settles from this debt ceiling debacle, all will be forgotten until we max out the next credit card and we need more money and then we'll start seeing more political theatrics involving the need to balance a budget etc.

I'm in the 50% who pays taxes. The solution to this problem is real simple. Make every ablebodied American pay taxes (fairly) and then spend less than those Americans pay. Why can't those on Capitol hill figure this out?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:45pm
After a re-read of my post, I suspect that some may think I'm in support of not paying our military, SSI recipients, etc. I think that those people should be the first in line to cash their checks. I stated that only to say that we must make extreme sacrifices in order to right this ship. Cutting out bogus entitlements is a given, but an outright default in payments to the vets and SSI folks might occur too if we default. I support the military and the older folks who have paid into SSI all their lives. Just stating what I see as the obvious which is we've overextended ourselves...big time.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:51pm
Did you know that there is only one other country in the world that even has a debt ceiling? United States and Denmark. Interesting..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Did you know that there is only one other country in the world that even has a debt ceiling? United States and Denmark. Interesting..

Interesting in what way?
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:11pm
I'm not implying anything. I just find it both odd and interesting that we are the only two countries in the world with a debt ceiling. I haven't had a chance to look into it much but I think it may be worth while to understand why we actually have one when the rest of the first world countries do not. And this debt problem certainly spans both sides of the isle (Dems/Repubs). I don't think the blame can be placed solely on either party. Though most of us can agree where it started.

Check this article out by Fareed Zakaria.

Fareed Zakaria
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:34pm
The market will determine where the real ceiling is and when that happens it won't matter what Congress says it is. If I had to guess, it was probably done to make it appear that there would be an end to the borrowing, of course they didn't mention that they could just raise it when they wanted to. The only thing good about it though is at least it has become an issue, if it wasn't there I'm sure they would have spent even more by now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:35pm
I found this online, sorry, I did not document the source but it does not seem to controversial.

"The origins of the debt limit trace to World War One. For the first 125 years of the nation’s history, Congress authorized each sale of Treasury bonds to pay for specific projects, such as construction of the Panama Canal. The Treasury also faced restrictions on the kinds of debt it could issue. Yet the growing size of government at the onset of the war rendered the old manner of handling the public debt obsolete. In 1917, Congress gave the Treasury more flexibility on how much debt it sold and in what form. The law was further simplified in 1939 on the eve of World War Two. Congress gave the Treasury almost unlimited power to decide what securities to sell and how to best manage the nation’s debt, subject to an overall cap."

I cannot say why other countries would not have them. it seems to me that if you have a finite source of money you should have a debt limit calculated to determine what you can eventually pay off, or if you are responsible how much are willing to throw away on interest, in order to smooth out your finacial dealings. Who would loan money to someone without knowing what they can reasonably pay?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 2:46pm
I read Fareeds article, some good points and some definite bias, He implies that raising the debt is asumed automatic process since it always has been and that the republicans are manufacturing a crisis by holding up the process. Candidate Barrack Obama spoke out against raising the debt ceiling when Bush was president and made some very valid points about passing on debt to our children. Many on the conservative (Different from Republican) side have been voicing concerns about spending for decades. I think the spending orgy of the last three years was just the straw that broke the camels back. I would ask if the raiseing the debt cieling was to be automatic why was it set up to need approval? I think some wise person saw this day coming.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 5:40pm
You can talk about who spent more money, Bush Vs. Obama, but that is like comparing apples to oranges.
Bush wars were not part of the budget, that money was allocated during special session.
It fell square on Obamas lap. and it is in his budget.

I do fall into the "we have a revenue problem" not a spending problem. But I do also think we have not had spending in check since the recession. Everybody wants all the benefits of a good economy but not pay for it. It has been a race to the bottom for a long time. Cheaper faster and easier at all costs. Yes, even the rich should pay too, even more than the middle, because the can and do use more than the middle and poor. Screw you trickle down economics...that never did work.

You can blither about taxes all you want. You will pay the tax in one way or another, even if it is not a tax today, it will be in the future.

When you cut social programs and those people fall and land in jail being a perfect example. Or the high cost of health care leading people into the ER and skating on the bill being another. We are f'ed up here in the United States.

While you may want to dismiss me as some bleeding heart liberal from Madison, go ahead. One only needs to look some other countries and compare the standard of living to here in the United States. It is legal here to own and shoot some high powered high capacity nearly automatic weapon, which I think should be, but for God's sake if I get busted with a joint I go to jail. WTF? The US is the ONLY country in the industrialized world that does NOT have Parental leave benefit.

The list goes on. But now in the end with the proposed debt deal it is you that is going to pay, not the rich and ultra rich. It's you, my friend and that is my point. You and I both see the need to curb spending and raise revenue, it is just that you think the rich should not have to pay for it as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 6:28pm
I am glad that it is me that will have to pay,that means we still have a chance, it should be everybody that pays. Spending someone elses dime is to easy,this is what our legislators do for a living and is the biggest part of the problem. How would people stand on the debt ceiling if interest on the debt was deducted from their bennefits, with each dollar borowed and each down grade in the us credit rating their checks would be reduced. Suddenly they would have some ownership and maybe look a little past what they can put in their poket today. I hear many saying that raising the debt ceiling isnt about new spending, it is just so we can pay our current obligations. how backwards is the process when our government looks at what they can spend before they look at what they have? I can just imagine the call when visa when I call to say they need to automatically increase my debt limit beyond what I can pay because I have already agreed to spend the money! The same people going to the ER because of the high cost of health care have govt. provided cell phones and flat screen tv's bought with welfare checks. Dont try to tell me it is not true because as a 911 paramedic for 20+ years I have been in their subsidised homes. It is all about prioritys. As we are seeing we cannot pay for everything.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 6:51pm

You can talk about who spent more money, Bush Vs. Obama, but that is like comparing apples to oranges.
Bush wars were not part of the budget, that money was allocated during special session.
It fell square on Obamas lap. and it is in his budget.

I do fall into the "we have a revenue problem" not a spending problem. But I do also think we have not had spending in check since the recession. Everybody wants all the benefits of a good economy but not pay for it. It has been a race to the bottom for a long time. Cheaper faster and easier at all costs. Yes, even the rich should pay too, even more than the middle, because the can and do use more than the middle and poor. Screw you trickle down economics...that never did work.

You can blither about taxes all you want. You will pay the tax in one way or another, even if it is not a tax today, it will be in the future.

When you cut social programs and those people fall and land in jail being a perfect example. Or the high cost of health care leading people into the ER and skating on the bill being another. We are f'ed up here in the United States.

While you may want to dismiss me as some bleeding heart liberal from Madison, go ahead. One only needs to look some other countries and compare the standard of living to here in the United States. It is legal here to own and shoot some high powered high capacity nearly automatic weapon, which I think should be, but for God's sake if I get busted with a joint I go to jail. WTF? The US is the ONLY country in the industrialized world that does NOT have Parental leave benefit.

The list goes on. But now in the end with the proposed debt deal it is you that is going to pay, not the rich and ultra rich. It's you, my friend and that is my point. You and I both see the need to curb spending and raise revenue, it is just that you think the rich should not have to pay for it as well.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote The same people going to the ER because of the high cost of health care have govt. provided cell phones and flat screen tv's bought with welfare checks.

C'mon. TV's and Cell phones? <sarcasm>Sounds like they are living the high life. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be on welfare</sarcasm>. How much do they get a month? Did you just compare tv's and cell phones to the cost of insurance?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

C'mon. TV's and Cell phones? <sarcasm>Sounds like they are living the high life. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be on welfare</sarcasm>. How much do they get a month? Did you just compare tv's and cell phones to the cost of insurance?

No I did not compare the cost of cell phones with healthcare. I pointed out a skewed priiority, we are so busy keeping up with the joneses that we buy things we cannot afford and then canot afford what we need. Not a big deal when you dont have to earn it, and just find anothe r of the duplicative agencies that will pay for it, or just go to an ER nowing it costs twice as much but also knowing you can skate on the   bill.
1987 Ski Nautique

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 7:35pm

Agree with some of what you said, however, I disagree that the problem is not spending, but revenue. Have the knuckleheads in charge ever even once attempted to significantly curb spending? We piss enough money away in foreign countries to have some impact on our debt. I can't recall a time in my life when significant government spending has been reduced or even attempted. The next time my wife spends too much money, I'll explain that it's not her spending that's the problem, it's her earning. Like the government, I'm sure her response will be something along the lines of me just needing to earn/pay more. Ha ha.

As for who needs to pay for all of these social programs....how about everybody pays? That's my beef. When I look at my pay stub, I see how much goes to federal and state and it makes me sick. If everybody paid a percentage close to mine AND the folks in Washington would buckle their belts a notch tighter then we wouldn't have financial issues.

As far as keeping up with many of these social programs, I can't see where that's helping society much at all. We reward people with food stamps, housing subsidies and healthcare as long as they behave themselves. To hell with encouraging them to make a change.

Don't we all benefit from national security, police/fire/ems protection, education? Shouldn't we all pay then? Shouldn't the government seek cost effective solutions? I'm doing my part. I'm just asking for everyone else to do theirs.

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 20>
  Share Topic