NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Election 2012 Is Comming

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 33>
Author
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 10:07pm
Cain has a new campaign manager...... Tiger Woods
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:43pm
Damn, just think if you bought all your gifts made in America....we would be talking about boats right now
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:42pm
keep in mind Ski, if you opt to purchase an American made Christmas gift for someone at a cost of 64.00, you will create 200,000 jobs here in the red white and blue
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:37pm
lame
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:36pm
I hear they have a new Cain stamp, when you lick it, it giggles

I just made that one up, thats a keeper
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:37pm
AMERICA WE MUST WAKE UP!

Talk about slapping the American people in the face. This president needs to be out of office and deported.   

This is freaking unbelievable!

44 CENT FOREVER STAMP

Apparently they think that putting "hearts" and "butterflies" on the new stamp will make most people NOT realize that the rest is Arabic, and not something we Americans should support !

New Stamp - the second one!

USPS New 44-Cent Stamp Celebrates a Muslim holiday !
If there is only ONE thing you forward today... let it be this!

President Obama has directed the United States Postal Service, to REMEMBER and HONOR the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a new commemorative 44-Cent First Class Holiday Postage Stamp.

REMEMBER to adamantly & vocally BOYCOTT this stamp when you are purchasing your stamps at the post office.

All you have to say is "No thank you, I do not want that Muslim Stamp on my letters!"

Pass this along to every Patriotic American that

you know !

Honor the United States of America ! "In God we trust"

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

im tearing up here guys, the only thing I want to clear up is that i do often make remarks about our military actions and my disclaimer is always towards the government and not geared towards the individual who is put into harms way, they have a job to do and do it very well, i would never protest a soldier or a marine, if i was in the same circumstance I too would do the same...I get alot of information streamed from the guys who have been there.

Nothing to say Eric. Freedom aint free!! And get rid of the freeking liberals in goverment. Tired of big goverment in the free market fking up everything!! No goverment in the free market!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 11:20am
Was in FL for 3 years, and Arkansas for 2 years after that. Back to MI with the birth of our first child to be near grandparents. Lucky enough to find a great job in this state. If the rest of the family would move to the Dakota's, I might give those a try too!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 10:02am
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Please let me know if I am wrong as I am looking for a way to minimize my liabilities.

How about moving out of Michigan for starters, Maybe Florida or the one of the Dakotas?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Well let's see, just a hypothetical here:
Let's say I sell 1000 shares of the AAPL I have accumulated over a number of years at a cost basis of $34.00 for spending money this year. I sell them for $356.00 / share, about the current price. I have owned them more than a year. I get $356,000 for the 1000 shares which is $322,000 profit and that is my income for the year besides a small pension. What is my tax on that 322,000 unearned income?
I hope you guessed $0.00. If not you have the wrong answer.
Keep thinking its fair.

So, help me out here. You sell AAPL at a big gain. Why aren't you taxed on the capital gains, even if you have held them for more than a year? You may get more favorable tax treatment than if you held for less than a year, but, wouldn't you still pay tax on your gains? How would it be zero? Just curious.

You see, if you live on a small pension, such as a retired person, your limited income can put you in a 15% tax bracket, especially if you can offset it with some deductions such as interest, medical costs, donations, whatever. Then long term capitol gains, (over one year), at least up to a point, are not taxed as income. The $350,000 level falls into this non taxable income level. This is partially why compensation in stock rather than cash is so attractive. If you have very little declared income you can reach that 15% bracket and spend your wealth as you please without federal tax. I am not a tax expert, but I am able to hire one to do my taxes. Generally, the more money you have the lower tax rate you have if you plan well.

John....Two questions! 1.) Any good stock picks you looking at now? 2.) Can I get the name of our tax guy?   

I am not an expert by any means, but I have been doing some research on this topic as my wife and I recently sold some stock for the 20% down payment on our house. From what I understand, your explanation is off. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 0% tax on capital gains is only on the amount sold that when added to your regular income puts you into the 25% tax bracket. For your example, say you earn $40,000 in regular taxable income, only $28k of your capital gains (total of $68,000, limit for 15% tax bracket) is non taxable...the remainder of your $350,000 is taxed at the regular long term rate of 15%. (this is for married, filing jointly) Even if you earned zero in taxable wages, you would still be left with a large tax liability.

Please let me know if I am wrong as I am looking for a way to minimize my liabilities.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 4:39pm
Well, just about the time I posted that Barney Frank should be one of the first tossed into jail due to his role in the mortgage meltdown, he announced today that he won't be seeking re-election next year. Good riddance! Let's weed some more of them out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 9:53am
im tearing up here guys, the only thing I want to clear up is that i do often make remarks about our military actions and my disclaimer is always towards the government and not geared towards the individual who is put into harms way, they have a job to do and do it very well, i would never protest a soldier or a marine, if i was in the same circumstance I too would do the same...I get alot of information streamed from the guys who have been there.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:42am
David,
My statement about not recommending stocks was in jest as well, along with my quip insinuating that I would necessarily trust a licensed planner/ broker.
I believe we probably have much more in common than we have differences. I know you are passionate about your views, and that, I believe, is important. If I didn't want to hear others opinions I wouldn't visit this thread. I also agree that trying to survive on public assistance is miserable for everyone. I certainly don't have all of the answers. I believe that we must have tolerance for others in order to solve problems that we all share. I consider myself an independent, I have never voted a straight ticket. I am sick of this gridlock.
The fact that you value independence, education, family, and have a good work ethic speaks highly of you. Since you have a CC, that puts you over the top.
I would enjoy meeting you and seeing you boat sometime.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:08am
John...I was kidding you about investment advice. I tend to be an index fund guy anyway. A great way to diversify, and save $$$ vs. actively managed funds. I have not had much luck with individual stocks. But, you find the right stock, and it can be very lucrative. I remember some friends recommended Apple back around '96. Now that is advise I should have taken. But, who knows how a stock will turn out. I My tax guy is Mr. Turbo Tax. Cheaper that way since I have the usual deductions. I also live as inexpensively as possible. We drive a 2003 Mountaineer with 120,000 on it. No plans to get rid of it yet. Really enjoy not having a $500/month car payment. We just took our first family vacation in over 10 years this past June. Putting my kids through school and staying out of debt as much as possible are my goals.

I appreciate your viewpoint on this great country, and share those sentiments. However, I don't necessarily agree with your thoughts on the current protests. As I have stated before, I am not sure what they really want. Nobody has made a compelling argument as to the goal of the protests...other than they don't like the "1%", and they want their student loans forgiven. I just keep thinking that there has to be something more to it than just that. Also, we may view compassion differently. As you know, I tend to view compassion as not having generations of people become dependant on government for their existance. What a miserable life that is. And, in my view, it has ruined a countless number of lives. Again, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Anyway, discussion for another time. You will have to come out to a Chicago Beers sometime. It would be good to meet you.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 12:06am
I will never give investment advice to anyone, not because I don't want to share, but because I don't know anything more than others looking for a good investment. I am not licensed as a financial planner or broker, and I view much of the limited success I have had as just plain luck.
I am very conservative financially. I drive a 7 year old Saturn Ion with 140,000 miles on the clock, live in a modest blue collar neighborhood, and buy the majority of my clothes at Farm & Fleet. My Saturday Mustang purchase was extravagant and I will be selling two antique boats to recoup the price. I have one of my antique motorcycles up on eBay right now. I want to sell most of the material crap I have accumulated over the years. I believe the best signature on the site is "The things you own will come to own you" I have realized that I get very little joy from any but a very few of my material possessions. They are just excess baggage. I am NOT one of the rich ones. I also believe that we all owe a debt of gratitude to the country that afforded us the opportunities we have. Some of the comments I have seen on this thread seem to indicate that the authors are not grateful for these opportunities and want to transform this country to something it is not and never has been. Unless there is compassion for others there is no real joy or satisfaction in ones life. My generation changed the country through the protests by the Freedom Riders, the civil rights movement, and the Vietnam war protests. The attitudes and opinions condemning the actions of those who want to change the world they will inherit remind me of those of my parents generation who condemned the Vietnam war protesters. I did not experience those attitudes at home from my parents however. My father, a WWII B24 bomber pilot met my mother, an Army Air Force nurse when he was recovering from injuries from an aircraft crash. They, having proudly served in the war, were also opposed to our involvement in Vietnam. I see the occupy movement as the next wave of change. Those who fail or refuse to recognize trends and public opinions are positioned to be left behind.
That is all.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:07pm

Let's say I sell 1000 shares of the AAPL I have accumulated over a number of years at a cost basis of $34.00 for spending money this year. I sell them for $356.00 / share, about the current price. I have owned them more than a year. I get $356,000 for the 1000 shares which is $322,000 profit and that is my income for the year besides a small pension. What is my tax on that 322,000 unearned income?
Keep thinking its fair.

So, help me out here. You sell AAPL at a big gain. Why aren't you taxed on the capital gains, even if you have held them for more than a year? You may get more favorable tax treatment than if you held for less than a year, but, wouldn't you still pay tax on your gains? How would it be zero? Just curious.

You see, if you live on a small pension, such as a retired person, your limited income can put you in a 15% tax bracket, especially if you can offset it with some deductions such as interest, medical costs, donations, whatever. Then long term capitol gains, (over one year), at least up to a point, are not taxed as income. The $350,000 level falls into this non taxable income level. This is partially why compensation in stock rather than cash is so attractive. If you have very little declared income you can reach that 15% bracket and spend your wealth as you please without federal tax. I am not a tax expert, but I am able to hire one to do my taxes. Generally, the more money you have the lower tax rate you have if you plan well.

John....Two questions! 1.) Any good stock picks you looking at now? 2.) Can I get the name of our tax guy?   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 10:47pm
it was an after thought and probably worded wrong, not a shelter, just plain old its not taxed and i have a feeling the ones who benefit the most from it are the ones that molded the tax law....I see it as income, but on the other side of the coin what if you take a hit on the stock? is that shown as a loss on your 1040?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 9:43pm

Keep thinking its fair.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I suppose it beats 666

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 9:24pm

Keep thinking its fair.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 9:04pm
John, I forgot, send some excess money to CCfan!!!!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:57pm
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:55pm

Now Martha let me tell you about this little investment thats been kicking around the office, my dad has the power to sign on the dotted line, but........whats in it for him?

in my book John, I feel you should pay 35% of it, but, if i did have that kinda pocket change rolling around, i would be looking for a shelter because im greedy and I dont like to give my hard earned money away, im intitled to it, I deserve it, I know people......

I agree Eric. 35% would be reasonable in that case. It is of course hypothetical. I don't understand the tax shelter statement. If you don't have to pay income tax on it what are you sheltering it against? You can just take your profits as you like and pay no tax as it stands right now. Reinvestment is not a requirement. Feel free to buy a Balding Male White (BMW) or a Mange Roller (Range Rover) with it and give someone in Germany or India a job building it with your tax free income. The rest you can invest in your emerging markets fund and finance foreign competition. After all, who cares when you have your pie?
Oh, BTW I don't have to pay into Social Security with that income either, and if I buy a new iPad or computer, or jewelry, as a gift for the wife and kids this year I would of course do it on the Interweb, after all, why pay sales tax on your high ticket items. Then I will complain that my state is broke.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:19pm
Now Martha let me tell you about this little investment thats been kicking around the office, my dad has the power to sign on the dotted line, but........whats in it for him?

in my book John, I feel you should pay 35% of it, but, if i did have that kinda pocket change rolling around, i would be looking for a shelter because im greedy and I dont like to give my hard earned money away, im intitled to it, I deserve it, I know people......
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:07pm
Keep thinking its fair.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 7:59pm

I am as happy as can be! My portfolio is up about 48% since Obama took office and my tax rate is less than either of my daughters rates, even though their income is less that 20% of mine. I pay all of the taxes I am required to under the present code, I even add the optional fee to my boat registrations to support clean water. I am certainly not "rich" by the standards of many, most of you on this site undoubtedly have much more than me, but I have more than food and shelter. The economy couldn't be better if you have some money! If you are trying to find any job out there to pay your bills, or if you are just scraping by, or losing your house and medical coverage, don't think I am not grateful to you for paying a healthy share of my taxes with your higher tax rate.
BTW, I just bought another CC Mustang Saturday with my tax savings. This one is pretty nice and original too, another Holman Moody. I hope you who are scraping by don't figure it out, after all, if I paid the same rate as my daughters do I may have to thin the boat collection down to just six. What would my summer home neighbors think if I had only six boats? I believe they would think I had fallen on hard times.
The failure of the system is so glaring that a person must have VERY dark sunglasses on not to see it. The tax rate SHOULD be higher for those with higher incomes. How much material crap can you own? There was a time in my youth that I actually believed more was better. I have gained some wisdom since then. Greed is a cancer. The joy of life and is not found on the bottom of a ledger sheet.

John, I am happy for your achievements. It sounds as if the system has worked for you just as it was designed. I hope to be where you are someday, I am just trying t keep the government out of my way while en route.There may be others in your position with entirely different goals in mind, possibly someone just sold a business and thinking of starting another and creating new jobs, or a farmer looking to let his sons take over his farm operation. Please don't speak for all of them, you could be costing future jobs.
I am envious of your position, but not in a democrat I think the government should take your money and give it to me kind of a way, actually its not the money I am envious of, it is the options it affords you. I feel there are many things you could be doing rather than gloating here about having to much. If you truly believe you have excess and the government can do better with it than you, you can, and maybe should give the government the excess. I can respect that if you feel that is the best. But I believe you could do better. If you give it to the government they will spend about a third of it just supporting government, and they will likely spend part of it on things you do not support or believe in. Since government employees don't seem that needy you could look at what the government spends on and give it directly to one of the government supported organizations, increasing the spending power of your hard earned money. Since you have time on your hands you could also research organizations that have been overlooked by the government and could really use your money. Challenge yourself to find organizations with the least overhead and get maximum use of your money. Another option would be to combine your loves, mentor less advantaged kids by taking them on water-ski outings, and share your experiences of how you got to where you are. You can do a lot more with your money than the government ever could. Think about it.
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 6:43pm
John b....I have read your posts before, and I think I read that you are retired. Correct me if I am wrong. If you are retired, you are living on savings, and dividends, I assume. Those are taxed at lower rates than ordinary income. 15% I believe vs. say 25-38% or so for ordinary income also known as salaries, wages, tips, etc.

When I retire, I sure as heck hope to pay the lower rates. It is mostly retired people living on dividends. They have worked hard their whole lives, and scrimped and saved to get to a point to be able to do that. I say that if Warren Buffet, who is a big proponent of wanting to pay higher taxes, want to pay more to the government, then by all means, write a check out and send it in. However, I don't think many of the "limosine liberals" actually do it. They want me and you to pay more, but, they just talk. Of course, its very easy for a billionaire like Buffet to say that he doesn't need all that money. Let him live on a salary, put kids through college, save for retirement, and pay sky high property taxes. He may sing a different tune. But, he has lots of billions. He is a little too comfy throwing my money around as I see it.

By the way, congrats on your new boat. I saw pictures of it on Gary's post. Very nice rig!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 6:02pm
I was hoping for 72 virgins when I get there, not lugging around a briefcase full of useless cash
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 5:46pm
I am as happy as can be! My portfolio is up about 48% since Obama took office and my tax rate is less than either of my daughters rates, even though their income is less that 20% of mine. I pay all of the taxes I am required to under the present code, I even add the optional fee to my boat registrations to support clean water. I am certainly not "rich" by the standards of many, most of you on this site undoubtedly have much more than me, but I have more than food and shelter. The economy couldn't be better if you have some money! If you are trying to find any job out there to pay your bills, or if you are just scraping by, or losing your house and medical coverage, don't think I am not grateful to you for paying a healthy share of my taxes with your higher tax rate.
BTW, I just bought another CC Mustang Saturday with my tax savings. This one is pretty nice and original too, another Holman Moody. I hope you who are scraping by don't figure it out, after all, if I paid the same rate as my daughters do I may have to thin the boat collection down to just six. What would my summer home neighbors think if I had only six boats? I believe they would think I had fallen on hard times.
The failure of the system is so glaring that a person must have VERY dark sunglasses on not to see it. The tax rate SHOULD be higher for those with higher incomes. How much material crap can you own? There was a time in my youth that I actually believed more was better. I have gained some wisdom since then. Greed is a cancer. The joy of life and is not found on the bottom of a ledger sheet.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 4:57pm

You wanna start at the bottem, the problems lay at the top where they originated. dude we sold out along time ago and gave those jobs to the nips, the poor are starting to become a big burden on society, its not by choice im afraid. its collateral damage.
your philosophy on life is great on paper, you guys repeatingly say it again and again......give him a fishing pole, but you dont give him bait or a lake to fish in

We are giving them the damn Fishing pole. Is it really to much to expect them to dig up a worm and head towards a lake? Personal responsibility. take and initiative and make your life better. We give them a fishing pole, you guys give them a fish and an excuse. Which will give them a future after lunch?
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 33>
  Share Topic