NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red/Black Grass Carpet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red/Black Grass Carpet
    Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:40pm
Does anyone need any red/black astroturf (grass) carpet? Ive found some that will be going in our '80 Ski Nautique, but Capri Carpet will only sell me a complete roll. The 100'x6' piece should be more than enough for 2 boats, so if someone wants half, let me know. Otherwise we're going to try and source it from somewhere else.

This grass carpet would have been originally installed on red CC's from the early 70's through the early 80's. Email me at TRBenj@gmail.com if you need some.

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 1:15pm
I am interested. I would like to see a swatch. I bought some a few years back but was so disappointed in the "pile count" I never used it. It was not as plush as the original of the era.
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:32pm
BJ, we're waiting on a sample to confirm, but my guess is that this stuff isnt overly plush. Its *probably* all coming from the same place nowadays... but will let you know.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 6:45pm
Roger that Capt'n! I have had 12 yards for over four years now and won't use it in a boat.
hasbeenskier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 6:47pm
Tim, talk Pat into buying that 67 and we'll take the other half!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 7:11pm
BJ, Ill let you know. I assume this stuff will be pretty thin, just like what we put in the BFN- but we'll know for sure when we get the sample. Im ok with the thinness since it will look original... I cant imagine grass carpet of any type being plush anyways! I suspect the factory used it because it was outdoor rated, didnt hold water, and most importantly, was cheap!

Chris, tell Pat to buy that boat... but I wont recommend using this carpet in it. The grass carpet wasnt used intil the early 70's, I believe. Original to the '67 would have been a vinyl floor. Nautolex Shark is the closest Ive seen to the original stuff.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 12:32pm
Well the '80 was delayed but we're ordering carpet now (for real). If anyone is needing some carpet (especially if youre in the northeast) then let me know and maybe we can split a roll.

TRBenj@gmail.com
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 11:24pm
Ummm Tim,....

Maybe interested for Amy's future white with red and black lettering '78 Ski. The current carpet is serviceable, although I believe not original. Her installer works for free!!

Any details would help.

UT
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 12:14am
Her installer should come to CT and do a few boats for me, sounds like I can afford his going rate!

I may have found an alternate material and source for the red/black AstroTurf. Supposedly a higher quality and available in cut lengths. The "budget" stuff that I've found is whats only available in 100' rolls... And while good enough for me, this stuff might be better and cheaper- win/win. I have a sample on the way and will advise on what I find!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 1:26am
Tim,
Do they make a solid red? My 73 doesnt have the "pepper" and the red isnt as dark as most red/black turf I've seen in the past.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 6:11am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Tim,
Do they make a solid red? My 73 doesnt have the "pepper" and the red isnt as dark as most red/black turf I've seen in the past.

Steve,
I think you should go with Tim's offer and get that half roll. I feel it's going to be the closest match you will find. Yes, I have seen the solid color turf type carpet but the black spec is actually more common.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 8:07am
I have seen red AstroTurf without the black, yes. If you're sure that's original that's what I'd stick with.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 11:13am
Red carpet hurts my eyes.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Tim,

Steve,
I think you should go with Tim's offer and get that half roll. I feel it's going to be the closest match you will find. Yes, I have seen the solid color turf type carpet but the black spec is actually more common.
WHO are YOU!??!????... AND Why have you taken over Pete's computer?

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have seen red AstroTurf without the black, yes. If you're sure that's original that's what I'd stick with.

Gotta be the solid red if I can find it. I'm sure the existing solid red was original to the 73. I'm not to the point I have to replace it anyway... just thinking "down the road" a few years... might consider a new interior.. then I would want to replace the carpet. It really is in good condition considering its 40 years old...

I just dont think the red/black would be right with the red,white, blue graphics, the red deck stripe and the blue ski lockers.... Most of the red/black I've seen has more of a blood red color.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Red carpet hurts my eyes.

thats one of the reasons I wear sunglasses ..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 12:31pm
Red grass carpet is widely available for cheap... might want to pick up a 6'x40' roll for $197 (free shipping) now while you can:

ebay red turf

Pay no attention to HW, red carpet is awesome.

FYI, all of the red/black carpet Ive found is a true red (not dark red or maroon)... though it appears darker from a few steps back due to the black mixed in. The samples I have received look just like the original stuff.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 1:38pm
Wow, as much as I'm on ebay, thats one place I've never checked for carpet. I think I will order a roll of it!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 8:39pm
I have a small swatch of the original 73 red /black astroturf that has never seen the sun, I pulled it out from under the gunnel, it was being used as a hanger / tie for the speedo tubing. If you want to compare to whats available today.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 9:24pm
Gary, I'd love to see it... Even a picture would be great!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 10:34pm
PM your address and I'll drop it in the mail.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 10:37pm
the original red and blue vinyl is wrapping the bunks that hold the gas tank as well, (one red and one blue oddly enough)
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 12:36am
The seller sent me a sample of the solid red "ebay carpet" before I ordered a complete roll. Glad I did. The color is a bit too "orange". But, The big thing is it is a lot lighter weight than the original carpet.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 6:49pm
Tim, what did you think of the original sample?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 9:37pm
Gary,   My 74 also has the one red one blue tank mounts.

Steve,   Ya might have to go Grey. I can't imagine the original Cornea Burning Red being an easy find.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 1:35am
Al,
I dont really need the carpet right now... just planning for the future if/when I re-upholster the seats. I've heard of someone that makes custom color turf carpet. Will have to check into that a little later this year. This boat just wouldnt seem right without the red.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:14am
Steve, if Gary's boat came with red/black, then thats a viable option in the future, no?

Gary, I havent checked my PO box yet... too busy skiing!

For reference, this is what we're planning to use:

Tactic(t) Bandana Reds

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:51pm
Tim,
Could be an option if I dont find the right solid red. Was looking to see if I could find interior pics of Garys with no luck.

You ever post any Gary?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 12:04am
The original carpet was long gone when I got the boat, the little swatch I found was a "cable tie" used for the speedo tubing. I'd bet Tim would send it along to you, I'm sure its never seen the sun so the color should be true.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic