NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waxing your Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:37pm
Pfft, no way. Im closer to JoeinNY and HW in that regard... ridden hard and put away wet!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:49pm
Hey now we weren't talking about our wi...

wait what?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:28pm
I use the yachtbrite product line and wipe down with babes boat bright after every use. You can get the babes products in the CCFan store. I recommend any and all of their stuff.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:13pm
2 coats of Colinite on mine Memorial Day and again Labor Day. I also spray it down with a mix of Babes Boat Brite, vinegar and water, one part each in a hand held pump up sprayer. No spots ever, the Babes builds up and after 3 or 4 times the shine increases. I check for wax by wiping dried spots with a dry towel before I spray and the Colonite lasts about 2 months before the spots begin to stick.   The vinegar is taking off wax, but the spots have to come off because at some point they etch themselves into the gelcoat and it takes something like CLR to remove them when the vinegar won't cut it.

I tried a new sealant that someone local is making this fall and it held up just as long as the Colonite. I split the transom in half and did one coat of each on each side. My transom faces east so that was where I needed the most protection from the sun.   It goes on and wipes off so easy compared to the Colonite, so next year I'm going to do a coat of each.

The spray and the sprayer really makes the difference though, brings that shine right back and it works on windows too. I've seen some stuff that's supposed to be better, but in the end it costs a lot more and I haven't seen that much improvement.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:21pm
Yea wax a couple times a year. Good for the clear coat etc. Love McGuiqars.. Great stuff...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:19pm
I finally ran out of wax so Ill be trying the Collinite this spring. I wax 3 times a year. First spring, then i dump it in the lake where it stays all summer( no, not on a lift) , pull it out for the reunion, wash the hull and rewax. Then i drop it back in till the season ends and do the wash/wash thing one more time before storage. I clean the inside every chance I get.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:40pm
Mike, The Collinites Fleetwax (the paste) is the way to go. You still have to use the cleaner before the wax, but the paste lasts longer than the liquid wax. The liquid wax is good and easier to put on, but deifnately does not last like the paste. We moor our Sportster for 2 1/2 months and wax 3 times as well.

I like the pure carnuba on the Correct Crafts because it's easy to put on and it shines well, but they are in the garage when they are not being used.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:31am
Dad's 63 Ski received a coat of some form of Carnuba every year it makes it out of the garage since it was new. I used the Collinite cleaner wax (forgot the number) and then the Finish wax two years ago and it really helped to make it shine. It gets Babe's Boat Brite (green) when it goes back on the trailer now.

My 98 Sport receives the same treatment (Collinite cleaner wax and then finish wax) every other year with new coat of the finish wax at the beginning of every season. Every time it comes out of the water (or at the end of the day) it immediately gets the Babe's Boat Brite. Occasionally I use the Babe's Spot remover (purple) if I get a few dry spots and then follow that up with the green (to put some wax back on) but that is pretty rare.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:44pm
Somewhat on the same topic- I'd highly recommend working the boat over with a wheel if you haven't done so yet. I thought my gel was in pretty good shape- but I had no idea! This is the shine PRE-WAX after 3 grades of polish this spring:

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:49pm
That pic rocks Joel, it looks photoshopped. Mainly cuz your hand shows up better in the reflection than in the camera

Wonder if I can get Dad's sport looking that shiny!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:50pm
Joel, just be careful that "behind the gel" Joel doesn't pull you into the boat, and then crawl out and live your life in your place. That kinda stuff can happen
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:55pm
The shine really blew me away, for sure. Loved the results. After this I used Collonite 925 (I think) and maintained it on the lift over the summer with Babe's Boat Bright, which is a product I adore. Boat still looks outstanding. Planning on hitting it with Fleetwax this spring.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:09pm
That looks good, I had the same thing happen to mine when I pulled off the old stickers and did a little wetsanding and polishing to get rid of the ghosting. I still need to go back and do the deck, it changed the color of the boat and could have sworn it was in perfect shape before I started.
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:18pm
Are there any issues buffing over vinyl or domed letters? Can the resin coating on the domed letters be damaged easily?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:28pm
Yeah, you have to be a little careful on the graphics when using the wheel. You could catch an edge and tear them, or burn through them.
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:43pm
To take care of some minor oxidation, would it be better to use a wheel with Collinite's #920 or 3M Finesse-It II keeping in mind I would be going over domed letters? I'm thinking the #920 is finer and might be a little more forgiving?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:53pm
Ive never had any luck with getting polish to remove oxidation... Ive always had to go with a pretty good compound, or even wet sanding. Ive compounded over/around decals before with the wheel- you just have to be careful.

Ive never used 920 before, but that looks like it may be a good step to add right before wax... I usually wipe down with soap/water or acetone after polishing, but this may do a better job. I believe you'll want to apply it by hand, though- not with the wheel.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 5:15pm
I'll have to search for my old thread about the order I used, but the 3M foam pads designed to work with Finesse It made a huge difference in both time and results. Polishing is a bit of technique and know how to do a real good job.   One thing I found online is to use a detail spray on your pad and the surface to keep it wet otherwise the polish won't work. With the 3M stuff you simply worked it until it disappeared and it was done.

I think polishing over the domed letters would most likely shine them.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:05pm
After every other outing, I wax mine with spray wax. Eagle One is the brand. Makes the water bead very nicely. I usually wash it after using it as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 2:54am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

After every other outing, I wax mine with spray wax. Eagle One is the brand. Makes the water bead very nicely. I usually wash it after using it as well.

If you have time for that you don't use your boat often enough. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic