NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Considering buying a Winnebago

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering buying a Winnebago
    Posted: December-09-2011 at 6:05pm
I need some advise from the RV owners here.

My wife has informed me that she does not want to tent camp on our weekend trips to the lake next year. I have to agree with her, the tent is a PITA.
On our last trip back in October I ran into a guy while we were camping at Salt Fork Lake and he had just bought a new Fleetwood motor home. While talking to him he mentioned that he was looking to sell his old motor home so I gave him my email and asked him to send me some info. I went out and looked at it a couple weeks ago and was pretty impressed with the shape it was in. It's an 84 Winnebago Elandan 32' here are the details he sent me and some pics. What do you guys think? He's asking 5k for it. He said it should pull my boat just fine, what do you guys think? I'm still considering how I will launch the boat once at the lake... I'm thinking about maybe putting a front hitch on it, or just having my wife follow in the truck...

I know nothing about these things. Is there anywhere I should be looking for trouble? When I went to see it, it started right up and ran great. He offered to let me take it for a drive but since I have never drove one, I declined. I talked to him again last night on the phone for over an hour, he hasn't advertised it anywhere and doesn't intend to until spring comes. He swears that everything works and it drives great. Paula hasn't seen it yet, so we may go look at it together this weekend.

"454 cubic inch Chevy engine; 52,000 miles; 6.5 KV Onan generator (98 hours); Carrier 13,500 BTU roof air 5 years old; upgraded Dometic Americana 2 way refrigerator; microwave; 4 burner stove with oven; separate shower & bathroom; new windshield curtains; new awning 15 ft; bedroom awnings; electric step; 100 gallon freshwater tank; 3 holding tanks with LED level gauges; propane hot water heater with auto ingnition; Reese hitch; new tires and brakes at 48,000 miles; well maintained & very clean."

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 6:37pm
As much as I want to tell you run as fast as you can for 5K it's hard to go wrong. It does look to be in pretty good shape for something of that vintage.

Downside is I would bet it's only rated to pull 3500# so even though it will pull your boat without a problem you won't be legal. Short local trips I would do it but not over the road.

Secondly it will be an absolute pig on fuel and that stuff ain't getting any cheaper. Our Bounder gets 6-7 mpg with a tailwind and I'm FI not carbed. Registration, insurance, maintenance costs and fuel your about 1.00 per mile to move it.

Without slides on it and with 5 people you could be pretty tight. We've managed all these years with 4 of us and 2 dogs but it gets cramped at times.

Ours spends 90% of it's time down at the lake, I store it about a mile from the campground so we drive down with the boat, pick up the camper and we're set up in 10 minutes. I turned a 240 mile round trip to about 3 miles in the camper, well worth it to find storage near your destination lake. Cost me $32/month for outside storage so if you could find a situation like that it may work out for you. Forget about the romance of driving it to Disney world, it's not a practical way to vacation anymore.

There are a ton of newer tow behind campers for less than $10k that have slides so if you could find that storage site near the lake that's your answer. So much less money to maintain something with out a drivetrain. Insurance is cheaper and you'll still get better mileage towing it than driving the 34 footer.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 6:38pm
dang randy! Can I make a reservation?! Thats a big RV.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 8:31pm
Randy,

I know where I am staying at Green Lake this summer.

Heck Eric will give you 5K for that 454.

LOL

Donald
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:01pm
Alan, I'm glad you replied, you know you were my go to guy on the operation of my camper at GL!

I had thought about storing it near a lake, I think it would work out pretty good, especially since Paula won't drive either this or my truck with the boat or a camper behind it. Funny you mentioned the "romantic" trip to disney, we were just talking about that possibility last night. How about an autumn trip to the "Arrighi Campground"?

We looked at new pull behind trailers, almost pulled the trigger on a new 35' Keystone Sprinter with three slide outs. It was really nice, had a huge room in the back, slept 12 people comfortably... they have great deals on them right now. We even looked around for a campground to keep it at, but the more I thought about it, I think I would rather have the option to move it around easily, be able to take trips to events, and move from lake to lake and campground to campground. If we chose a campground and then didn't like the crowd that was there we would be stuck. And we really like Salt Fork, but there is only one state park campground on the lake and 14 days per month is the maximum you can stay, so we would have to stay off the lake and pull the boat back and forth. I know it's a lot smaller but when we go we spend most of our day on the water and really just need a place to sleep and keep food and beer cold. It will sleep 6, there is a pull down bunk above the front seats. Besides, I like buying vintage stuff and putting a little work into it!

Is there anything I should look at that may be a problem?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

dang randy! Can I make a reservation?! Thats a big RV.

Justin, You'll have to come to the gathering at Salt Fork this summer, If I get this we will designate it as the part spot. I don't know if I'll have room inside for you, but you would be welcome to sleep underneath it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 10:12pm
Randy take the money your going to spend on it,take the insurance,gas,storage,maintance and license money and stay at a motel- they even cleanup after you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 10:48pm
Randy

Motorhomes are a ton of fun......but.......nickles and dimes can turn into hundies pretty quick when the repair man comes calling. I have had one (notice the key word "had") and they do need fixing most of the time. With all that being said, for 5K go for it, your family will have a blast and make great memories and that my friend is priceless.

Bill
DieselCash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselCash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 12:15am
I think the price is high

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rvs/2724949826.html

Go to NADA and see what it is worth up there.
1992 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 10:51am
Like Correct Crafts, these rot just as bad, look for water stains on the ceilings and walk around that thing looking for soft spots, I really hate old motor homes because they sit around and rot and the less they are used the more the problem they are...my theory on them, just like boats.....2 happy days, and you use one of them up real quick. they will nickle and dime you to death...the one big thing that i noticed when i had a motorhome that we used pretty much every weekend, was 100.00 in grocery's, 150.00 in the boat gas (put in bay trips), 80.00 to the local attractions, because the kids bore easily, 30.00 in medication (alcohol) 30.00 for wood at the campfire, 30.00 to the kids for the arcade to let them dis-appear to take care of business which that may not be gaureenteed....it adds up, especially if you use it every weekend
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 10:53am
and how many friends do you have that show up with more than a 6 pack and 10 bucks for gas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 10:57am
one thing i do remember on my trip to Disney, we got to frontier land, set-up camp, hit the AC and nothing, starting calling around and the minimum i was looking at was 500.00 for someone to repair at the site....luckily im mechanically inclined and found out that it was a 21.00 capacitor
rent one for the weekend its cheaper
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 11:33am
Randy,
Check around all the windows inside and out. The Butyl Tape dries out and cracks and then leaks. It is easy to replace but time comsuming.
Check for soft spots on the roof. If it is a rubber roof, it is recommended to replace every 12 to 14 years. I had to replace my complete roof. Rubber and wood. Check the sides for delamination. You get water between the outside skin and wood inner skin. Cannot be fixed without major costs.
The rest that I can think of others have covered. We have used ours to go to 4-corners out west, GL, FL, lots of camping trips and a 4 month trip to Alaska. Would do it all over again.
Keep it covered when not in use. An ANCO cover is cheap when compared to water intrusion when no ones around to see and stop it.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:05am
Patti and I started with a tent. Stayed up at the Bay one weekend. Rain. End of tent. Had 2 motorhomes. First one was not much more than a glorified van but we made it work. Even used it one year in Tennessee for us and another couple. Second one was a 25' Honey on a Chevy Chassis. Loved it and every minute of using it. Stayed in it every weekend at the Bay. Took it to Tennessee. Had it 12 years and would do it all over again. We did leave it up at the Bay and would travel by car up to it. Patti could back the boat in with it. We got so much family fun outa it.

It ain't my 5k but I would say go for it. If you use it..you won't be sorry. But you can't let it sit. Have to make the commitment to use it often.

BTW..just got my calender..beautiful shot of your Sport.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

BTW..just got my calender..beautiful shot of your Sport.

Thanks John. I took about 800 shots to get a couple good ones I had no idea how to work the camera.

I'm taking the wife to look at it this afternoon. I'm afraid that after looking at the new trailers with all the room they offer she is going to think this is a little small and outdated but I think this is going to be a good way to get our feet wet in the RV world without making a big commitment. I figure if we can use it for a year or two and visit different campgrounds near the lakes we like to go to then maybe we can get one of the bigger trailers and keep it at campground we like.

Gary makes a great point, you probably can stay at a motel for the same cost as moving this thing around, but there are no motels anywhere near the lakes we like to visit, and with 3 kids you almost need two rooms or a suite. and then you can't cook or have a campfire and the kids can't run around...

I checked the roof out when I looked at it before, it's not a rubber over wood roof, it's aluminum and has seems that are sealed up with some type of caulking. The owner said he has replaced this caulking when it gets old and he just did it a year ago. He has used it regularly and has kept it stored indoors during the winter months. I'm going to check around all of the windows when I look at it today.

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:28pm
Here's my set up. Have a couple of options for bodies of water but they are all about 60 miles away. We use it almost every weekend and I wouldn't give it up for anything. By the time you add up the savings of a hotel room and eating out evey meal you cover the gas bill pretty quick. We take ours on a two week road trip every spring. Great way to see the country and spend some time with the fam. I get about 10 miles/gallon boat or no boat. Can't tell the difference when driving either, just have to be more carefull in tight areas. All in all about 55' long. I can launch my boat on just about any ramp with it. Pretty used to driving large vehicles though. There is a ton that can go wrong or have to be fixed with motorhomes. Water systems, electrical, chassis, ect. If you don't know much about them take it to a reputable RV shop and spend the money to have them go through it. They can give you a report on what is good or not so good. One other plus, it's considered a second home when it comes to your taxes and some of the costs of ownership can be written off, FYI. Good Luck, IMHO it's the best possible set up!

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:48pm
Really nice looking rig there Seth.   
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:53pm
Seth, This is the kind of feed back I'm looking for. How big is your MH? what type of engine? I see a big mountain or hill in the background, how does it do going up something like that?! I would like to be able to pull the boat with this occasionally, to CCfan gatherings and such but I want it to be safe. This MH I'm looking at has four wheel disk brakes, which the owner told me was a rare option for that vintage. I bought my boat trailer new three years ago and it's a tandem axle with four wheel disk brakes. I'm thinking with disk brakes on all axles I should be ok stopping it. My boat is listed at 2700 lb. according to the brochure in the reference section and the trailer is about 1000 lb. So I'm guessing the whole thing loaded and wet would be about 4000 - 4500 lbs. I have looked everywhere and can't find the towing capacity of the 84 Elandan. I am going to look for a sticker in the door jam when I go look at it today.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:10pm
is this going to be a Robin Williams saga?"
Randy, my comments were not towards not purchasing, i was just posting some of the hidden costs
there is no reason you cant pull your boat with it, I kinda miss the hillbilly Bently, was nice to buzz up there on a Friday night and get away
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:38pm
It's a 93' Thor Ambassador. It's 32' with a Chevy 454, injected. I have a couple of passes that we have to traverse. On hot days it struggles a little. These things run hot anyway. I am suprised to hear about the disks, seems like an early year for that kind of option. My trailer doesn't even have a surge brake but like I said before I can't tell that the boat is behind me, going up or down. When we go to the lake I pull the boat with the motorhome exclusively, otherwise I'd have to pay for gas for two engines plus the boat.

To figure out the towing capacity figure out what kind of chassis it's on. Most of the manufactures use someone elses chassis. With a chevy engine it's probably a chevy chassis. Could be the workhorse P30, mine is. Those chassis weren't the best, kind of on the small side for a 30+ motorhome. Some of the issues are with the linkage in the front end. Not a deal breaker just something to look at and fairly expensive to get parts for.

Look around before you jump on this. If it's your first MH look at others. Options available are limitless and some will fit your desires better than others. Pretty easy to find amazing deals on these in this economy. I got mine for almost half off of the sticker price at a dealer that was going under. Sad for them but made it affordable for me.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:53pm
Randy, if you want give me a call and we can chat about it.           208-72 1-0 635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 12:03am
I took the wife to see it, she was impressed with how clean it was for an 84. This time I really looked up and down this thing. opened all the cupboards and looked up in the joints where the roof meets the sides, it all looked really good with no signs of water damage. I did however find some water damage below the window behind the sofa. It doesn't appear to be leaking presently but has definitely leaked in the past or it could have been caused by driving with that window open during rain. The owner swears he doesn't get any water in there now and it didn't have a moldy smell and appeared dry, and it's been raining a lot around here lately, so if it was still leaking I think it would have been wet. I'm sure if it was getting wet it would have an odor, and it didn't.

It was about 25 degrees out today and the 454 engine fired right up. it runs and sounds great.

It's built on the Chevy P30 chassis and has a 3 speed Turbo 400 transmission.

GVWR= 14,500 LB

GAWR
F= 5,000 LB
R= 9,840 LB

No mention of towing capacity. I know the GAWR is the Gross Axel Weight, but not sure how to interpret that into how much it is capable of safely pulling. it definitely has four wheel disk brakes.

I'm hoping Eric and some others can chime in about the transmission and weights. Do you think this will safely pull my boat? If it doesn't it wouldn't be a deal breaker but I think it would be nice to be able to do it if I wanted or needed to.

I talked to Seth and he says he doesn't have any trouble pulling his boat with his RV which seems similar to this one except this one is carburated and not FI, but my boat and trailer is a bit heavier yet I have a tandem axle and he has a single axle, it would probably be less tongue weight. Seth is pulling his through mountains which I would probably never encounter on our excursions.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 12:31am
I cannot say what that motorhome will tow but I can tell you that my
MH is a 28' 93 Coachman C-Class with a 460. It is on an E350 chassis.
I have pulled my 80 SN from NC to Green Lake and to Astor FL and pull my 3800lb 24' SeaRay Laguna with twin 200hp Mercs to and from the Coast of NC every year. When pulling my 80SN over the NC mountians, I do take it out of OD but it pulls the mountians with no problems.   
As Seth mentioned, I never know the 80 SN is back there.
Now I do know that the SeaRay is back there but only because I can see it in the mirrors. Trailer has Electic brakes and I can stop the rig with no problems or effort.
I see no problem with that unit pulling your boat anywhere you want to go.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 1:00am
Randy,

Great to talk to you today. I hope I provided some help. Here are a couple of links I've used in the past. The Henderson site is really good and explains common problems related to MHs and specifically the P30 chassis. The other link contains a P30 Chassis manual, not sure of the year referenced but I'd guess there is a lot of similarities through out the model years.

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/education/

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/P30/index.html

The other thing I have done a lot of is looking at motorhomes for sale on the internet. Gives you a good feel for what is out there and what you should be getting for the money you are looking to spend.

I don't mean to scare you away from the P30 chassis, mine is working great, just wanted to help you be informed.

Good luck, Seth

PS: here is one site worth a visit, will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about 12volt electrical systems.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 10:34am
you could pull your boat with that trans and then hook it to a stump and pull that along with it, very stoudt transmission, some bolt a gear vender on the back of it to get 6 speeds, it splits the shifts because the 400 doesnt have overdrive, its predecessor is the 700r4 and then the 4l60e, which both have OD and then the 4l80e
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 11:33am
Now for the most important question, you are gonna put a wrap on it right? Maybe the nautique logo with some tribal markings around it, you know something that will match your armband tattoo?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 11:53am
I know this has an overhead sleeper just try to visual.

Concept art 1

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

my boat and trailer is a bit heavier yet I have a tandem axle and he has a single axle, it would probably be less tongue weight.

FYI, proper tongue weight is a function of trailer weight (min 10%) regardless of whether its a single or tandem axle. Ive towed both styles with insufficient tongue weight... SCARY!!!

You may need to calculate the tow rating yourself based off the GVWR.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 12:01pm
Randy,
While I find it amazing that Alan can back his boat down any ramp with the Bounder, I would think the biggest PITA would be launching and retreiving with that gigantic pig... Then you also don't have another vehicle to get around when needed....

I would approach travel and boating the same way you are if I didn't have a place on a lake. In my opinion, if keeping your family's interest in boating alive and well, means the cost and headache of another motorized vehicle (and you can swing it financially), then you jump on it and never look back...

I agree though, I think this is way to big of a rig to start with. There are some really nice class C machines out there that would be way easier to deal with, park, launch boats etc...

Don't forget to leave out the welcome mat.. Best of Luck Randy..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 12:13pm

The engine and trans is not the limiting factor with towing, the p30 is only rated at 3500#. It will pull it but you may not be legal, Randy your current trailer has 4 wheel disc brakes doesn't it? The rig will stop better with the boat behind than without.

I spent a lot of money on the front end of my P30 to get it drive without sawing on the wheel all day long, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, IDP sway bar and it still is a handful in the wind but much better than stock. It actually drives better with the boat behind it, the trailer seems to keep it straight. Our Bounder has basement storage and is taller than that rig so maybe that has a bit to do with the handling but you should drive it and make sure you know what you're getting into.

10mpg has to be a bit of a stretch even with OD but on a 454 with a T400 there's no way you will ever even see 8mpg. I have a Banks Power pack on mine which was supposed to give me 8 and even driving with an egg under my foot I still don't see it.

Eric, I always wanted to add a gear vendors to ours but could never justify the price, they are a little salty.

Not trying to talk you out of it Randy just a little reality. Our 90 Bounder is still getting us where we want to go and we have had some great trips in it. We've launched our boat with it dozens of times without issue. The family memories will last forever, I think it's a practical way to add to your boating weekends if you can use it as a home base and not your main transportation..

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic