NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Considering buying a Winnebago

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:32pm
I just sent you an email Kevin

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 10:24am
I replied back but my 5th whell is maybe more than you want to spend. It is a 2009
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 10:35am
Darn, I could've hooked u up with our 2006 pull behind toy hauler. I practically gave it away. (see photos from 2007 GL). But the buddy I sold it too bought it to re-sale. If you're interested Randy, just let me know. 30' with 5 separate beds, 4 being doubles, and the Tundra can pull it.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 12:21pm
Kevin,

I got your email. That's a really nice 5th wheel, but I think that it's a little more than what I want to get into to start off with. I think I would rather find something that's under 10k. I don't want anything too nice cause the kids will just tear it up anyway I still keep thinking of the benefits of a MH but I like the idea of getting something bigger that will sleep more people. We are going to go look at some used ones this weekend.

The Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,600 LB and a GVCW of 16,000 LB So I should be able to pull just about anything in the 35' and smaller range. I talked to a guy at the RV dealership we went to that was hooking up a 35' Keystone Sprinter similar to the new one I was looking at, about 9,500 LB, to his Tundra. He was from PA and said that he had a 3/4 ton van that he could pull with but he used his Tundra because it pulled it better than the 3/4 ton!

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 1:11pm
Randy,
So you plan on now having two vehicles, towing both the trailer and the boat??? Sounds like a PITA, or maybe you're planning it that way so your wife and kids are in one car and you in the other (taking that quiet drive to the lake with your favorite White Snake CD) !!!!! haha

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

So you plan on now having two vehicles, towing both the trailer and the boat??? Sounds like a PITA

Try and keep up Moj!

Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Although I like the idea of being able to get in and drive this thing anywhere, I think we may be better off in a pull behind. That way I could set it up in a campground either on or real close to a lake and keep it ready to go. and during the summer Paula can take the kids there if she wants or get down there before me and get stuff set up. thinking more about the cost of insurance, gas, repairs.... and the thought of having to fix that floor. I could get a nice pull behind with more room for under 10k.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

So you plan on now having two vehicles, towing both the trailer and the boat??? Sounds like a PITA

Try and keep up Moj!

Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Although I like the idea of being able to get in and drive this thing anywhere, I think we may be better off in a pull behind. That way I could set it up in a campground either on or real close to a lake and keep it ready to go. and during the summer Paula can take the kids there if she wants or get down there before me and get stuff set up. thinking more about the cost of insurance, gas, repairs.... and the thought of having to fix that floor. I could get a nice pull behind with more room for under 10k.

One of the first posts I believe Tim was to come to Green lake this summer in an RV. This is where they got the idea of buying a motorhome instead of tent camping... While I feel the trailer is definitely more economical, the problem he'll have is once they want to go to a different lake. Now you have a problem on your hands of towing the boat and the camper... Well unless your Todd and Rene and they just tow everything all at once hahaha... Come on Tim, keep up here   

Randy, you're driving down the middle of the road, veering from side to side again hahaha. Don't crash the truck here... !!! If you want the best of both worlds 1) getting off the ground and away from those bears!! and 2) to be able to enjoy multiple lakes with minimal hassle during the summer, you'd be better off looking for a smaller, Class C RV, that even your wife could drive, easy to park or launch the boat, store, fix etc etc.. Sure it's not bigger than the house you were looking at, but it's mobile, better than a tent and easy to pull the boat around..... Just my 2 cents..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 2:12pm
Randy did you see this one?

He probably would take 5. Its fuel injected too looks pretty clean. I know you are thinking trailer but thought that could be a decent deal.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 2:14pm
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 2:16pm
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

What do you tow behind a Brunstucky chick?

Broken dreams and the high school football coach's kid. Go blue devils!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 3:43pm

1) getting off the ground and away from those bears!! and 2) to be able to enjoy multiple lakes with minimal hassle during the summer, you'd be better off looking for a smaller, Class C RV, that even your wife could drive, easy to park or launch the boat, store, fix etc etc.. Sure it's not bigger than the house you were looking at, but it's mobile, better than a tent and easy to pull the boat around..... Just my 2 cents..

Moj'

I LMAO when I read that about the bears Dave! ...and then LMAO again when you suggested "Class C RV, that even your wife could drive"!

Bears are definitely a concern of Paula's. That and the raccoons at Salt Fork which are damn near as big as a bear from all the free food they get. But seriously, some kid hit a black bear with his car last year in Marlboro Township which is only about 15 miles from us!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 3:50pm
Dave may be right though, maybe the best solution would be a class C MH. It would probably pull the boat nicely and be easier to launch with than A big class A... but it would be cramped with 3 kids and two dogs. But then again, Ashley is getting older... I'm going to try to look at some Class C's this weekend along with some trailers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 3:56pm
And this just popped up on CL!

'93 Fleetwood Tioga Class C

EDIT: I knew it was too good to be true... Flagged for removal
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 4:00pm
Randy,
Where do you spend all your time while camping? In or out of the tent?? So it's a bit cramped... There's not a RV in the world that gives you the creature comforts of home... Who cares.. You get a fridge, crapper, shower and a place to sleep... But you can travel like that too !!!! And be mobile to enjoy different lakes... It's actually a drawback to having a summer home... I think if you park a trailer, you'll feel the same way...
There are thousands of nice, 25-28 foot Class C trailers out there that are affordable.. OK so Paula won't drive it.. But she sure would like traveling in it !!!! She can look for bears while sitting on the tolet, reaching over to the fridge for a nice cold drink hahahahaaa..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 9:50pm
Randy .. the tent is for the kids and dogs .. an outside screen room for their living room and the mh for you
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

What do you tow behind a Brunstucky chick?

LOL. Had to post when I saw this comment. In my case, an '84 SN. Love our '91 Mark III Chevy aka Brunstucky chick. 180+k and the 5.7/700r4 is still running strong! 12mpg w/boat in tow. Slept in her at the lake probably 12x this year...

He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:10pm
thats like a dream combination for me , i'd love a southern or western van like that   of course olive green   wait black like the rest of the fleet
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Randy .. the tent is for the kids and dogs .. an outside screen room for their living room and the mh for you

I was thinking the same thing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:33pm
That's a nice looking van Tom! looks great with that SN behind it.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 7:40am
like going on a cruise, bottem floor, the only time your inside them is to poop and sleep, come to think of it get one with a large bathroom. basically you really dont spend much time inside of them when you get to your destinantion, always out under the awning with your tiki lights
"the things you own will start to own you"
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 12:34am
Perfect what do you get, 9 miles to the gallon and a honey dipper hole to empty, give me to a hotel, and I will try to leave the bed bugs there.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:29pm
Well, after looking at RV's all winter I ended up purchasing the 1984 Winnebago Elandan. Once I drove it I was sold. It really isn't as hard to drive as I thought it would be, and it runs great. It seemed like the best deal for the $$ and will fit our needs. Heck if we can get a couple years use out of it I have it parked in the driveway now, but will probably end up storing in near the lake.

Before I pull the boat I want to get the rear frame extension reinforced. I've done some research and contacted Winnebago and they do not recommend exceeding 200Lb. tongue weight. My tongue weight is 330Lb. The problem is with the frame extension which is built onto the P30 frame to allow for the extra coach length. These two pieces of frame are simply welded together with about 4 inches of steel plate. I need to find someone to weld some steel tubing or "C" channel to the original frame forward of the extension, and attach a class V hitch to it. I don't plan on towing with it very often, but when I do, I want to make sure that the weight of the boat does not stress the frame to the point where it would bend or break.

The kids absolutely love this thing and can't wait to get it out on the road! We will probably take a short trip in the very near future to test it out.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:41pm
So if your 350 lb girlfriend decides to nap in the back bad, your motorhome is going to snap in half?   you'll be just fine pulling your boat Randy
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:20pm
Lets see some pics!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:24pm
With all this RV talk I just can't help myself. Every time I hear someone say RV this immediately comes to mind.

Clark:   So, when did you get the tenament on wheels?
Eddie:   Oh, that uh, that there's an RV. Yeah, yeah, I borrowed it off a buddy of mine. He took my house, I took the RV. It's a good looking vehicle, ain't it?
Clark:   Yeah, it looks so nice parked in the driveway.
Eddie:   Yeah, it sure does. But, don't you go falling in love with it now, because, we're taking it with us when we leave here next
month.
Eddie:   Don't forget the rubber sheets and gerbils.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:31pm
Randy - congrats on the highway-compatible living room. Monday AMs just got harder for you!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:55pm
Congrats! I hope you have many happy family weekends together in it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:18pm
Pictures ? Of the 350 lbs girlfriend, no thanks not to hard to find.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 4:40am
Congrats Randy, like they say.....it didn't happen unless you can prove it with pictures :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic