NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the SPAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the SPAM
    Posted: December-21-2011 at 8:48am
This morning I reported I think 26 spam posts. We have been getting quite alot lately! There must be a way to stop them - OK computer guys, help Keith out here.

With doing my old woodworking equipement restorations lately, I've become active on OWWM.org. That site requires a moderator to approve you as a member. I think after you try to post 3 times, they will look at your posts and decide you are just not a spammer. Then once approved, your posts will go onto the site.

EDIT: I found more - the count is at 30 now!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 10:00am
fck, I want to take up golfing again, and get the old lady a fake Rolex
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 10:01am
I thought you had a side business selling football jerseys and golf clubs

It sure buries real posts deep on a page with as much as we've been getting.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 10:25am
that would be Habeeb transmission sales, we'll keep you rolling temporarily
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 10:40am
I totally agree with you Pete! I hate it for the newbies that are legit and want to become a member here but I think we need to stop this ridiculous onslaught of spammers.

In order to be become a member of CCFan you have to have a moderator approve your membership. Not sure what that would entail but I think most of the regulars here would support the the terms of use.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 11:44am
Makes you wonder how much business these guys actually generate from the spam posts. Have any of you guys been over to the2001.com lately? I used to enjoy that forum, it has been completely consumed by spammers during the last couple of months. Pretty amazing.
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:59pm
The state of the2001.com is a real shame but the site needs a major upgrade and also a significant clean up of its database which would take some serious work and some time.
I don't know what ccfan's forums are based on but the2001.com is running an old version of PHPBB which has several significant problems (spam related), the newer versions are much better...
There is lots of useful info on the PHPBB site about preventing spam although preventing all spam is a dream for any site and its a constant battle, have a look here for some info, worth a read so you understand the constant battle:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1437125

I am pretty new here but would put forward the proposal for a couple of Moderators maybe some of you longer serving guys (as I am new I won't put my name forward but will help if I can) that are trusted to delete the spam and disable the spammers accounts when they arise. I only suggest this as a method for taking some of the strain away from Keith and obviously its his call but I would hate for this site to come under the same spam attacks as the2001 which is sadly now just a historical data site now due to its mess. This could be done on a trial basis to see how much spam is captured and how many posts are deleted.

This is just a suggestion...I don't know how much of an issue this is for the site and Keith other than seeing the spam and without knowing the forum system used here I don't know what is involved in adding some moderators.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:14pm
I'm with you MattB. Not saying Keith can't handle it by any means, but IF he needs our help...we're here, and sticking around for awhile!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'm with you MattB. Not saying Keith can't handle it by any means, but he needs our help...we're here, and sticking around for awhile!

+1

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:29pm
As far as generating business, I'm sure these idiots are paid more by how many clicks they can get on their site than how many sales are actually made.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:43pm
Years ago we had the same problem on the Supra forum . I posted that I was sick of it and was not coming back. A couple days later I got a email asking if I would be a moderator and help with the spam problem.
Since then spam is lucky to last 1 hour before one of the mods deletes it. Its a lot to ask for one person to control all the infractions on the forum . With such a loyal following here I'm sure Keith would have no problem getting 6 or so volunteers to help.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:56pm
yes, I agree, it is really getting bad and no end in site. We dont want to make it too hard to join but maybe if you are even under 50 posts your account can be suspended by any senior member or something. Or as you suggested more moderators to freeze accounts and delete posts. I see that planetnautique added a paragraph to their signup process that says type why you want to join the site but Im sure that wouldnt help. They seem to have their spam pretty limited, wonder how.

I know if keith asked for volunteers he could get a half dozen quickly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:57pm
I shouldn't have just singled out Keith. I do know he does get help from other moderator(s).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:02pm
I'd be willing to pitch in. Hell, I'm on here every day pretty much anyway.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:03pm
I think it's less work to just delete the post and block their IP. Only Admin's can delete an actual member, so besides there being a bunch of suspended spammers that never come back it's really no big deal. The posts may last a couple of days if nobody is around to clean it up.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:06pm
I don't like it much when people come along and say hey Mike quit doing this and do this but I think it'd be fun for the site to do some things that Facebook has done...even though I hate Facebook and am not a member.

Friends list
Instant Chat in the lower right with who ever is online at that time
Android/iPhone app

etc...I think there's a proper place to put site suggestions so maybe I'll throw em in there.

Again, love the site...just thinking about more things that would be fun to do on it!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:06pm
I think if they could just get cleaned up faster that would be a big help. It just clutters up the site. I think it looks bad too, especially for new members.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:08pm

I don't like it much when people come along and say hey Mike quit doing this and do this but I think it'd be fun for the site to do some things that Facebook has done...even though I hate Facebook and am not a member.

Friends list
Android/iPhone app

etc...I think there's a proper place to put site suggestions so maybe I'll throw em in there.

Again, love the site...just thinking about more things that would be fun to do on it!

the app would be the easiest of these. Friends list? I thought everyone was my friend?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:11pm
lol not sure where I was going with the friends list...kinda goes with the chat feature I guess....who ever is online just shows up in the list so yea. Just dreaming :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:11pm
I really like the app idea. On weekends in the summer I often have an iphone available but not computer.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:19pm
Blocking IP's is a bad idea as you may be blocking legit users from the forum, the IP addresses of spammers are likely to be random or proxy IP's and they probably never use the same one twice.

Please don't misunderstand my intentions of the suggestion of moderators, this is a great resource and I just want it to stay that way, I in NO WAY want anyone to feel that this is a poke against the running of the site. SPAM is just a massive problem everywhere online with no easy solution.

I didn't think you guys would be iDevice users...I though you would be too busy getting wet and having fun with the family/friends to worry about who's online!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 3:08pm
Hey Guys,
It seems the more the site grows, so does the spam.

I typically delete the post and then suspend the username. Blocking the IP does have it's drawbacks. Hollywood has been helping to delete the posts but it's hard to keep up with them.

The solution is most likely further restrictions on registration. I need to investigate further.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 3:11pm
Hanging on CCFAN is like living in a small town...

Look how fast the Mayor gets back to us! Love it. Thanks for checking it out Keith!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 4:31pm

Friends list
Android/iPhone app

There is a really good iphone forum app called Tapatalk and I believe it just needs Keith to activate a plugin and setup the link. PN has it activated and quite useful when away.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 8:52pm
Keith I will put my hand up to help delete the spam posts. I probably see them first due to time differences. Although Pete and Eric are consistently on early, they obviously have sleeping disorders.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 10:27pm
they just live in another time zone ...godville
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Although Pete and Eric are consistently on early, they obviously have sleeping disorders.

Well Mark maybe but, I think it has something to do with me getting to work between 4:00 and 4:30 am.

It was great for you to offer yourself for taking care of the spam. I'd be afraid of doing it myself - since I'd such a computer geek I'd probably wipe out the whole site!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2011 at 10:16am
Before you throw out all ths spammers let me tell you a got some great golf tips and some wicked deals on sunglasses and music videos. There must be a way of screening them.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2011 at 10:18am
I tell all the losers i know, if you make a ton of money one day, you dont take the next day off, I have alot of discipline, dont know why i brought that up, probably because getting up early is part of the daily routine.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2011 at 12:20pm
Pete's not up all the time, but he has a special Batman light that illuminates in the sky to wake him when someone is drilling holes in the deck of a classic Correct Craft so they can run speaker wire to their aftermarket wake board tower

On using the apps, I definitely prefer to be boating than clicking on weekends, but if you have a quick question, or if someone wants to see a picture of something you could easily capture, the i-stuff would be cool. I still don't have a smart phone yet though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic