NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Maintenance
    Posted: March-24-2004 at 11:35pm
I have a good teak swim platform that needs re-finishing. It has some graying and a few marks and dings. What is the best way to re-finish it? What is the best way to clean it? I have heard of oiling teak OR laquering teak - which is recommended?

Also, when I drive screws into the teak to mount it, is is necessary to pre-drill (it seems like soft wood)?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2004 at 8:52am
Depending on how bad your platform really is then all you should have to due is use a teak cleaner and then coat it with teak oil after that. Use the cleaner first and follow the dir. on the label. I used a fine grade of steel wool to get the gray wood out. Be sure to keep the platform wet as you "sand" it down. If it is really bad then you may have to sand down the whole platform in order to bring it back to original condition.
   Apply a light coat of Teak Oil to your platform after you've finished cleaning it and after it dries out. You don't want to put it on heavy and I found that a wad of cotten works best. Apply several coats in thin layers according to how much the wood soaks up. Take the extra time to restore it to perfection and all you will have to do is apply a thin coat of oil once every couple of months during ski season to keep it in tip top shape.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2004 at 8:57am
Oops, forgot one. I personally would pre drill any holes in the teak before installing screws. Teak is a soft wood but why take the chance in possibly splitting it. If you are taking the time to beautify your platform then take the extra time to do it right the first time. Besides what could it hurt???
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2004 at 10:31am
Not all teak oils are the same, some will darken more than others and not work as well. I like the honey color of Nautical Ease or if I can't find it I use Amizon Gold. On another site skiboathelp.com there is a long listing on using TSP (trisodiumphosphate)and bleach several times keeping everything wet and rinsed with fresh water often to clean and brighten the teak, sanding with steel wool letting it dry over night and apply several lite coats of teak oil.
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2004 at 12:49am
Linseed oil is a great perservative for the swim platforms. My 1982 "2001" platform is still in great shape with the original platform. "Boiled linseed oil" dries much faster than plain.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2004 at 1:33pm
i have my opinion, but the interlux site has a good prep and care section for teak. it's in the boat care pdf file.

tips

i would avoid and oxidizers(cleaners)if you can. it will dry the surface of the wood and might cause it to crack. if you do use it, soak the wood first and rinse well.

some say fine grit sand paper, but 80 grit will clean the grain. finer grits clog the grain.

the wood must be dry before oiling. it needs to dry at least a couple weeks before you oil it around here unless you can prop it up behind the fridge. a high moisture content will make your refinishing shortlived.

oil it. varnish can't handle the abuse.

Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 3:51pm
I was told many years ago never to use steel wool anywhere near a boat. Those little steel fibers behind screws and such create long term problems. Any boaters supply outlet carries bronze wool, a few more $ but it lasts for years.

Duck Soup (aka) Lonely Nor'Easter
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2004 at 2:40am
OK,get ready to flame.....I use transmission fluid on my teak exclusively.When I put the boat away on Sunday's, I give it a good coat of mercon II rubbed in with my trusty oiled rag.By Thursday it is all soaked in and does not bleed into the water at all.The color is a deep,rich golden brown color and it seems to last about twice as long as teak oil. At 2 bucks a quart it is cheap,too.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 9:14pm
I've got to ask where that idea came from, Tranny fluid? Doesn't that make you wonder. I use the 3 step kind west marine sells.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 8:57pm
Try it...I was skeptical too until I got tired of paying for the 3 step and wasting time with the process. It works great and looks much better than the actual teak oil. Try a spot on the bottom of you platform.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 1:40pm
That's a good idea, I might try a spot under the platform, I don't see how it would not leak off in the water but I'm game.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 3:34pm
Of course it bleeds off into the water. Where else could it go?
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 1:37pm
On the bottom of your feet.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 4:12pm
A few of weeks ago I picked up some Teak oil from Home Depot. My platfom was in pretty bad shape. I sanded it with 150 grit paper, wiped it down to get rid of the dust (mostly algae I think). I put on two coats of oil and it looks much, much better.
I read a post where someone took it apart, sanded each piece and applied five coats I think. They said it looked great.
I'm hoping to do that later this winter.
I wish I would have used 80-100 but 150 is all I had.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2004 at 9:29pm
I better get to the Depot and get some teak oil.I didn't know they had it....It's probably more environmentally responsible than trans fluid...
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 3:57pm
I used a pressure washer (car wash) to clean my teak and it worked great, got the grey off, cleaned the wood and even brought out a little color.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2005 at 11:08pm
I used 60 grit and transmission fluid and got amazing results in less than an hour. The amount that leaches into the water is so minute compared to engines that I am not worried about a greenpeace ship pulling up in front of my boat and blocking my passage. Thanks for the tip!

I wouldnt drink teak oil,
Prevent spill from entering drainage/sewer systems, waterways, and surface waters. Use non-sparking tools

All about teak oil (msds)
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2005 at 11:10pm
ok ok ive heard it all tranny fluid comon.

the absolute best way to clean teak that i have found is take a brass wire brush found in the teak cleaner area of boat stores. and scrub with step one of a teak cleaner kit. it gets all down in the cracks of you teak. my platform looked so bad thought about replacing till i tried it now my teak looks awesome..

gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 11:31am
1time17

believe the tranny fluid, stored my
neighbors century last year in my
shop the overheard fluid dispenser
leaked all winter and did the teak
some justice, so im reaffirming pswann
suggestion

fredo68 but anyone having questions
on the teak my neighbor woodboy
is the on to ask fredo68
fredo68
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 9:20am
Don't use laquer or polyurethane on your teak, that would be a huge mistake that would be hard to correct.
I saw a boat at SE C/C that had been polyurethaned on it's platform. It looked terrible. Where ever the surface was nicked or scratched there would be a foggy white spot about the size of a quarter where the polyurethane was seperating from the teak due to the moisture getting under it. It wasn't pretty at all.
I use the Starbrite 3 step from BoatU/S. It works good, but now I'm inclined to try TSP and XMSN fluid as the 3 step kit is expensive and only good for one application, and has a fairly short shelf life once opened.
Dabblin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2006 at 3:38am
I'll agree with the advice on the varnish on the platform. Any suntan oil, motor oil, algae,
whatever and they will be very slick. A droped ski and the surface will be compromised' water will get under the waterproof finish and fog. That said I did my Martiniques platform with 120 and a random orbital sander. Finished with a mix of turpentine/teakoil/boiled linseed oil.
Steel wool is really iron wool in that it will rust. The steel you drive into the wood will discolor in time causing red or black stains.
DO NOT use raw linseed oil. It can take months to cure, sunlight causes it to darken to black over time. It is best used for garden toolhandles. Teak is hard, dense, oil rich wood.It takes years for it to take a finish, the oil in it keeps coming to the surface and driving the finish off. That said a 1987 boat with teak will have wood able to be finished. I used Helmsman spar varnish with UV protectants in it on the interior. It looks beatiful and its been 6 years and no maintenance has been needed. The platform get all sorts of abuse, and needs periodic oiling. Same mix, The terp thins and helps penetration then as it evaporates it draws the other oils into the wood. Wipe a gererous amount on wait 20 minutes buff the excess off and in a couple of hours it dries. I'll be giving it 3 or four coats at the start of the season then about once a month a rub with a damp cloth. Warning after using any of these finishes soak the rags in water and put them in a fire proof container outside until they are dry then dispose of. They will spontainiously combust.
Good luck
87 Martinique
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 1:24pm
nauti-girl   I used armor all deck wash and a garden hose on my platform. It was very neglected and green with algea etc. To do over I would have done at the car wash first. Be careful there is bleech in that stuff ruined my pants! Home depot sells teak oil mine took two quarts! the finish was a little dark though if you want a lighter golden finish try meguires gold that is if ya can aford it   good luck Rob
Lake Livin' Rocks
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 1:54am
On my '79 I have a more yearly approach, I use to use TEAK Oil on my grid but I found I was having to re-oil it 3 or 4 times a year to keep the nice wet look. I would rather be cruising than rubbing oil on! So here is another approach Cetol Marine by Sikkens, which gives TEAK a nice translucent finish with a nice Honey appeal. I just redone mine two days ago, Good for the year ! Every season I sand my grid down with 100 grit and reapply 3 coats of Cetol Marine.
boeing773
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 9:29am
I have found that the 3 part cleaners work well on badly weathered teak. However, teak that has had some care, the cleaner in the 3 part system does not work very well. In this case I have had to sand and re-oil. If you want to put a more permanent finish you can use a product called “Sikkens” by Cetol. It works well on teak. It will require yearly touch-ups. Boats left at the marines out in the weather often use this product because of the low maintenance compared to constant oiling of teak. Some people do not like the somewhat orange color of this product compared to oiled teak.
hotfish172 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 9:17pm
Never, never , never use steel wool on teak. The rubbing action causes tiny little pieces of steel to be driven into the wood like splinters in your feet. They will just rust away. Instead, use brass or bronze wool or better, you can use a coarse "Scotch Brite" pad made by 3M company. They come in varying grits and are made of synthetic material. You can find these at any automotive paint supply house.
It's easy to get carried away with the scrubbing thing so before you start getting carpal tunnel syndrom from all that scrubing, make sure you have bleached out the wood with regular household bleach. Takes about an hour or two of bleaching. Then lightly scrub the wood with the pad with the bleach still on the wood. Once it's good and dry, try several layers of Amazon Teak Oil. Make sure you really get the bottom coated well too since it's almost always black from mold.
The platform on my Fish Nautique was so far gone I had to replace it. Prior owner used a pigmented "oil" on it. Never use that junk. It just makes your teak look like painted pine and once it starts to break down, it will look like hell.      
MarkNConnie
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:07am
There are not many things that I can claim to be an expert on but finishing teak is one that I can, having owned a 42’ Ocean Yacht for nearly 10 years. The deck was teak, the trim was teak, the door was teak, the aft window frames were teak, way too much teak in my opinion. But the best way to clean dirty teak is to use the 2 part (A/B) teak cleaner called Te-Ka. You can use a brush or a scrubby pad to work in part A.   After about 5 minutes apply part B, no need to scrub part B. If the grain is raised then wet sand with medium paper (100 grit). If the teak is on a deck or swim platform then I recommend applying Sikkens satin by Cetol as Matt recommended, another good product to use is Armada satin. If the teak is trim and you want a gloss finish both manufactures make a gloss finish. I would not recommend gloss in the swim platform. Apply at least 3 coats after cleaning then annually scuff up and apply another coat even if it still looks good. That way your teak will always look good. BTW, I need to practice what I preach; this weekend do I work on the Jersey or Fish Nautique? Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic