NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Boy Toy Shed help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Thanks guys this helps a lot. Any others?

Steve, how many lights do you have? Looks like maybe 9 or 12?

What your seeing in the first pic is about a third of the shop (facing northeast). I think there are a total 26 fixtures. They are switched in three different sections so they do not all come on when working on just one end.

btw, They are one of the few used items bought used. A local cotractor was refitting an office with new fixtures. These cost 2 bucks each with no guarentee of them working. I bought over 80 fixtures and only ran into 6 or 7 that didnt work.

This is a looking to the left of the first pic.

I also used halogen lights mounted on the walls at that end. Very nice for doing paint / varnish work.

Here is a picture of the overhead doors. A 16x8 and a 9x8.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 6:05pm
Steve* you rock. Nice place you got there. That's a good idea to look for used ones. I had never thought about that! I will have to check out craigslist and what not. Thanks a lot for the pics. I appreciate it!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 6:53pm
32x36 with 9-1/2 ceilings. 16x8 & 9x8 doors. I used (10) 48" dual T-8's. They're wired up on 3 spearate sections, like Steve's. Plenty bright for everything I'm doing.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 7:41pm
I'm totally fascinated by, and envious of amazing indoor garage/storage space. One day I will have such a thing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Steve* you rock. Nice place you got there. That's a good idea to look for used ones. I had never thought about that! I will have to check out craigslist and what not. Thanks a lot for the pics. I appreciate it!

Whether you buy new or used flourescants make sure you buy T8 and not T12 fixtures. the T12 bulbs are no longer made as of July 2012 so in a few years time you will have to swap all your fixtures out again.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 9:47pm
Triple HO T5's with dual ballasts. One ballast handles two lamps and the other is a single lamp. Then, you can light up 1,2 or 3 lamps for 3 lighting levels. It's what I did in my shop. I even went one step farther and programmed a PLC with relay outputs. The "switching" is low voltage using momentary rocker switches. The relays in the PLC handle the actual load to each row of fixtures. The calculated foot candles came out perfect after I checked it with the meter. 50, 100 and 150 FC's per Sq. Ft.

Keep in mind that T12's are almost gone.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 9:58pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] It's what I did in my shop. IQUOTE]

It's a catch 22,if you were retired you could work in the daylight and take the evenings off. But NOOO. You put up big lights and between them and paying the electric bill you have to keep working and therefore have to work when it's dark Will discuss your options tommorow.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] It's what I did in my shop. IQUOTE]

It's a catch 22,if you were retired you could work in the daylight and take the evenings off. But NOOO. You put up big lights and between them and paying the electric bill you have to keep working and therefore have to work when it's dark Will discuss your options tommorow.

I lamped with 5000K T5's with a color rendering of about 98. When staining and varnishing, you want it as close to daylight as possible. Even during the day, you still need lighting!! I will never know how John got through all those years of splicing wire when he's color blind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:23pm
Metalux thin white baffle 3 lamp T5 fixtures with dual ballasts (the thin white baffles hide the bare lamps and reduces the glare) at 50 C.P. per Sq. Ft.

Another shot at 50:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 12:55am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Metalux thin white baffle 3 lamp T5 fixtures with dual ballasts (the thin white baffles hide the bare lamps and reduces the glare) at 50 C.P. per Sq. Ft.

And protect the lights from all of the dust in that dirty shop.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 10:45am
Earlier in the thread I mentioned I am in the planning stages. The contractor came out yesterday. It looks like the building will be 28 x 48 ft 1.5 story with the garage doors on the short side (the only way it will work). Trying to balance cost vs. utility, what is the minimum ceiling height/door height I can get away with. No towers on the boats, but I would like to be able to lift them. Besides overhead lifting using the steel beam, are there any other reasonable lifting options?   I have thought about two 2 ton engine lifts, one on each end, which could be rolled away when not in use...Thanks for any thoughts...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'm totally fascinated by, and envious of amazing indoor garage/storage space. One day I will have such a thing.

I get the same feeling when I see this.

You know the saying Joel...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I will never know how John got through all those years of splicing wire when he's color blind!!

Blue-Orange-Green-Brown-Slate...

I was fine for years...only the last couple did I really have trouble. Went to bi-focals..not much help. Had to have lots of bright light right on what I was working on. To many years of dim manholes, dark closets and working after dark. Orange started looking like brown and brown was looking like slate....not a real good situation.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 2:23am
How about odd pic,where the brown looked like gold and the gold looked clear,and the orange looked brown? I was doing alot of 25pr IW and putting on amphenol plugs in the late 80's and 90's and since it was after divesture everybody was making cable. One vendors violets all looked closer to slate. why run backwards you varmit...
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 2:27am

I was doing alot of 25pr IW and putting on amphenol plugs in the late 80's and 90's and since it was after divesture everybody was making cable....

i hate when that happpens...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 2:45am

How about odd pic,where the brown looked like gold and the gold looked clear,and the orange looked brown? I was doing alot of 25pr IW and putting on amphenol plugs in the late 80's and 90's and since it was after divesture everybody was making cable. One vendors violets all looked closer to slate. why run backwards you varmit...

from divesture year ('83?) thru '93 I was doing school systems and hospitals and city buildings Centrex systems. Was doing alot of the same cableing as you were. Everyone was buying that cheap wire...colors were horrible. Had to tone most everything or nuthin' would work when you were done. But "jap pic" as we called it was pretty much gone by mid-90's..just to much trouble with it as the colors started to fade a little. Pretty much after the original placement and splice or termination it was 'tone' cable. 10 more years..or less and we'll be the only guys remembering this stuff. Gonna be all wireless.

rain and wind and fall temperatures up there. Gonna be money-makin' time for the guys up there.

speaking of amphenol plugs..the place that made them just closed up their plant here. Yeah..made right here in Lake Wales on rt27 south of the mall. Was really surprised to drive by and see the sign out front when we first got here.

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 2:53am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Gonna be money-makin' time for the guys up there.

U verse like pots does not like water
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 3:04am

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Gonna be money-makin' time for the guys up there.

U verse like pots does not like water

nor squirrels chewing on the cable! 2 of the phoneman's best friends; squirrels and fall rains!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 4:42pm
Shed is up! Loving it so far...

Things left:
-run rest of electrical/outlets/switches/overheadlights/fans
-door opener install
-insulate walls/ceiling/steel
-anything else I can afford

We ended up putting an attic in the rafters, the stairs to them are on a winch and will hide in the ceiling when not in use.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 6:59pm
What size is the building? Very nice. Ours should start going up soon (permitting is done...)
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 7:00pm
36X48X11
2 18X10 overhead doors
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 7:02pm
I have some space limitations, so mine will be 28x48x10 with 8x9 doors on the narrow end...hopefully enough for 2 smallish boats and 2 cars with some room to work.
89 SN
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 7:04pm
Very nice, you'll enjoy it for sure. Anything you can do is better than nothing!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 8:02pm
What beautiful shops you have! Pete does need to clean up his act in the shop a bit ;)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 9:07pm
Mike,
Great looking and you will find it very useful.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:28pm
Looking good! If you dont mind do you have an approximate bill for that baby? A friend of mine is thinking about building something similar and asked what it cost.
nautique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:32pm
Nice shop Mike! I need to come down and check it out. I hope to start building my shop this spring.
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Looking good! If you dont mind do you have an approximate bill for that baby? A friend of mine is thinking about building something similar and asked what it cost.

The Amish in our local area built it. Building with insulated doors/windows was right at 20k, Concrete was 8k, Electrical around 1k, another 1k for lights etc etc...

All gravel for concrete/driveway/road and labor was on the house as my uncle owns the quarry in town. So, we did that on our own.

I had it quoted to finish the inside with insualtion and steel but that was at 5500 so we are undecided. Our budget was 30 and we're right at it at this point. I believe we are going to do the rest on our own.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 4:42pm
awesome thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2012 at 5:27pm
What type would be best for the Ladies?

fantastic shed...WOW~!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic