NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Boy Toy Shed help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Boy Toy Shed help
    Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:18pm
Hey fellas! Dad and I are thinking about a toy shed behind my house and are looking into all possible options. What works for you guys? Would love for the Sport to go in with the tower up, jon boat will be in there, some lawn mowers, snowmobile, jet skis, etc etc....

30' deep and I dunno...50' on the long side? Boats in storage...how tall will the doors need to be to get the tower in there? We are kicking around the idea of having a company bring in a pre-built pole shed and then we would finish it off with insulation/drywall or steel/etc etc

It won't have plumbing but will probably have a heat source. Water will come from a well spicket. What are some must haves in this thing? $$$ is a big concern...we can't get too carried away on it of course but as long as we're doing it we wanted to do it pretty close to right!

Here is a pic of my layout...very very roughly drawn just to kind of get the feel for things. Size isn't a huge issue at this point, not really sure how big to make it yet.

Something like this for a door layout...maybe...who the heck knows:
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:46pm
That's going to be a pretty tall door to fit with the tower up...with mine down it barely fit in my uncles garage, which I think is 8 ft, so figure if you put that tower up, you're looking at another 2 1/2 to 3 ft probably. Is it really that big of a hassle to put it down? Actually, a better way to ask that is, is it worth incurring the cost of an 11 ft door just to keep from lowering the tower when you put it on the trailer? (again, 8 and 11 are guesses, don't quote me on that)
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:52pm
I would try to build with storage and work areas separated I am forever fighting with overspray or sparks from grinding or welding getting places i dont want them
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:56pm
If you are trying to save money choose your components first and work out from there, if stick built this is important and could dictate spans/height/etc. If going pre-built see what are the most economical sizes they have, and work from there. In some cases being dimensionally at 48" increments can save some money. You have a hip roof shown, perhaps to match existing, a gable will typically cost less. I would move the man door to the side wall, garage door heights, figure 8' min and on width do (1) at 16'w, the other 10' or 12' if you even need it, if you go higher then 8' price it out keeping in mind as the structure grows up so does the cost.

Also do a little searching on the site, there has been a handful of garage projects documented with some good info.

BTW, don't show your wife the above plan as it is painfully obvious the garage is bigger then the house, LOL
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:14pm
Does where you live have any restrictions on the kind of building you can build? This is something I ran into. It could only be so high, so many sq ft and have a maximum continuous wall of 30 ft. Check with whoever you would get the building permit from. Worth making sure before you go laying your plans.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:17pm
Thanks for the quick replies guys! the 30X50 was just a rough throw out number...We do realize that certain lengths will be cheaper as far as walls/roof/trusses etc etc...so we will take that into consideration. Also...forgot to mention that 80% will be heated and the other 20 will be "cold" storage ie: lawn tractor, mower, sled, snowblower, that kinda thing.

Here is my neighbors across the street. He just put this up last spring, it's just a touch smaller than what we think we have in mind. I do like the setup though, but maybe a bit bigger. He has a loft type thing that he built stairs to get up into.

Neighbor's shed:
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:17pm
also if you are trying to save money you could go gravel floor instead of cement. Cement will be pretty good money for that size but it is obvuiosly much nicer, that was probably my single biggest expense on mine. I dont regret it though.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:22pm
I can't imagine why he wouldn't widen that driveway out so that he could use both doors...if your neighbor tried to put any kind of trailer into the big door he'd have to jack-knife it in. If there is some kind of regulation on driveway width (which seems stupid to this guy) I might put the opening in front of the larger door. Make putting it in and pulling it out easier.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Make putting it in and pulling it out easier.

Words to live by.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 6:31pm
Yea we always wonder why he did his driveway the way he did...kind of odd too if you ask me. Cement isn't a huge concern. We'll get it at cost and labor is free. (My uncle owns the only concrete plant for 50 miles)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 7:14pm
I built my toy shed this past summer. It is a 30(wide) X 48(long) pole barn with 12ft walls. I have an 18 ft. wide x 10ft high door. No tower on the 196 but the door is big and well worth a little extra cost. Building is long enough to hook up my 196 to my 4 door Silverado. Concrete and freeze proof spicket inside. Not heated or insulated yet but that will be next summer's project. If you go on F.B.I farm building inc. site you can lay out your barn and even add your boat and other toys to scale to see how it will fit. I did not use them to build but their website was a good resource. Let me know if you have specfic questions as I spent alot of time research.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 7:20pm
Mike, just signing up to see where this goes. I had this conversation with one of my ski buddies last night as he's not satisfied with his storage situation.

I'd make sure you have some way to lift boats off their trailers. Someone told me the MC marina in my area charges close to 50/hr for using their lift....I joined the DM Power Boat Club and get to use this whenever I want for 90 a year.....

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 10:25pm
Years ago my Dad had a Wicks pole barn put up not sure of the size,I'll have to measure it in the morning.The best thing he did was to build a loft,you get alot more storage and some day I thought it would nice to add walls to it and build a workshop. The floor is gravel,it would be nice to have cement,but it is nice not to worry about leaking tractors and old English cars.Down side is animals like to try to get in.Best way to stop that is to use wire mesh fencing bent in an L shape with the long part of the L on the ground and the short part attached to the building.They are not smart enough to back up and dig.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 10:59pm
There is a thread for Petes garage up north, As usual he thought of everything. Try a search.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:58pm
Walk across the street and ask your neighbor how much it cost. Ask him to see the plans of the building and pound a few beers with him. If he liked his contractor then go with him. Make sure you tell the contactor you have the hook up for the concrete.

Waldo
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 4:21am
dream big and then plan bigger. you won't be sorry down the road.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 9:59am
and, dont build it bigger than your house lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 11:56am
Mine barn is bigger than the house. Actually had trouble refinancing my house because of the square footage of the barn. Never heard anyone say "man I wished I had not built this garage/barn so big" many people wish they had built it bigger. Build as big as you can afford.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:23pm
I had a 42x64x14 pole barn in Indiana this year I built a 40x60x14 here in Georgia. The old barn had two 12x12 doors this time I went with one 14x14 door. 14' is high enough to accmidate any RV or semi truck I dont need it but for resale its a plus. Go as big as you can storage space goes fast. Go at liest 12 tall so you can put in a car lift if you want if not for resale. You will need at leist a 11' door if you ever get a tower boat.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:39pm
Thanks for the pics Mike!!! Still no snow and no frozen water here in IA so dreaming about the shed is about the only thing to do about now...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:50pm
Bringing this back to life. Currently looking into some pricing on a 36 X 48 pole shed (similar to the neighbors in the pic above) Not sure what size doors/how many/how tall to go yet. Would LOVE to put the tower in without folding it down. I know it's easy to fold down but if you don't have to it's that much easier to get on the water. Gotta measure the tower up height for fun. Right now planning on a wide open barn just for trailers/boats/trucks/sleds/jet skis. Some day will insulate and maybe put a wall up here and there.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 6:09pm
I have a 38 by 48, it has 2 sliding 12x12 barn doors of you hadn't thought of that.
Brian
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 9:45pm
I am thinking about a barn from PennyPincher Barns (google them), and put it up myself. 36-60 ft, garage and barn doors. PennyPincher also has "RV" designs with big doors and long bays. If you buy something, let them know I sent you and maybe I can get a discount
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 1:14am
Yes aside the 2 barn doors I have 2 garage doors on the end bays with the man door on the side
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:30am
If planing on heating the building, be careful with sliding doors. They don't seal as well as overhead sectionals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 12:21pm
Thanks for the advice! We don't plan on doing the big sliding doors as we do plan to heat it some day. No set plan on when but would just like to have that option. My buddy works for Overhead Door here kind of locally so I think he can get us a half way decent deal on some left over doors/openers that have "factory defects" but are still perfect for a toy shed. Think he'd charge beer and a cheap grilled steak so that might be worth it. (that's our plan on the door front for now.)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 3:46pm
What do you guys like for lights in your garages? I want it to be well lit. Would rather be able to shut some off than have to hang more lights...

Specs: 36X48X11 1700 sq total
two 18X10 overhead doors
1 walk in door
4 standard windows

Figured I'd end up with the classic 4ft twin bulb fluorescent. There is also an 8ft twin bulb fluorescent as well.

4ft light

8ft light
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 4:05pm
I just put these in my shop and hangar. http://www.lightcorp.com/product/semaphore-t8-series/
Night and day difference from the 8' flor. they replaced. Instant on and no hum in cold weather.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 4:48pm
My toy box is basically 48x30. It is framed construction with 2x6 walls and 10 foot ceilings. Finished interior with drywall. I used 8 foot flourescent light and love them. Of coarse, I keep it heated at around 50- 55 degrees and turn it up when working.

I have been adding some storage etc. So it's kind of a mess in this pic.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 4:50pm
Thanks guys this helps a lot. Any others?

Steve, how many lights do you have? Looks like maybe 9 or 12?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic