NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford cammer engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford cammer engine
    Posted: January-05-2012 at 10:13am
im surprised you blue balls never mentioned this engine, it kicked the hemi's ass in the 60's
"the things you own will start to own you"
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 11:55am
And, in this trim it will still kick ass!

59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 12:14pm
The sohc 427?
Seeing how they just made just the minimum to be permitted by nascar to try them out. They were hand made, so not not worth big smack talk boasts, and could barely fit in a galaxie

Even the boss 429 (semi-hemi) wound't fit in the pony cars without a cutting torch, but at least a few thousand were delivered to customers.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 12:17pm
For some reason that engine's been ticking people off since it was invented. Chrysler and Ferrari couldn't beat it so they got it DQ'd.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 1:13pm
it does feel good i am sure that ford fans got "a" good motor
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 3:39am
There is a place in my heart for the old Ford performance / racing engines. That is a piece of the puzzle that led me to the CC Mustang. The 427 "cammer" sohc was available as an option in Fords as mundane as a 4 door Galaxy. It was not a popular option however. It was not well suited for a street car, with max HP at between 7000-7500 rpm and huge valve overlap. Ford published the HP at 616, however I have seen other dyno claims from back in the day of 657hp for it. Pretty impressive for a N/A engine. I believe it was the most powerful engine available in a production car for many years. I am not sure what surpasses it today, surely nothing in a family car at an affordable price. My first car was a 65 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible with a 427 4 speed (the only trans the 427 came with). I have loved these engines since 1970 when I got my Galaxie. Fred Lorenzen won the 1965 Daytona in a 65 Holman Moody Ford Galaxie. He was an amazing driver and he lived in Elmhurst, IL, the suburb next to mine. He still lives only a few miles from me, but his health is not good. I have never met him.
This connection to the Fords of my youth led me to Donzis and CCs. I think the CC fits my needs better. Although I think the Interceptor is a great engine and has more than enough power for a Mustang, I Love the H/M engines principally because of this connection and had to have one. I feel very lucky to be able to buy one.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:07am
i never heard of it until a couple days ago, i guess the front timing chain was over 5 feet long
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:30am
i would imagine you would have to pony up some big cash to get one of these engines nowadays
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i never heard of it until a couple days ago, i guess the front timing chain was over 5 feet long

I see you're thinking. Here is a little info. BTW my Galaxie did not have a cammer. I reread my post and by that it sounded like I said it did. Just an FE sideoiler.

Developed during a crash, 90-day engineering program in 1964, the 427 SOHC engine was Ford's response to the Chrysler Hemi's dominance in NASCAR during the '64 racing season. Based on the successful 427 FE engine, the cammer featured a chain-driven roller cam in each cylinder head, actuating big valves in hemispherical combustion chambers. Horsepower was rated at 616 for the single four-barrel version and 657 for the dual quad, and Ford tested the factory engines to more than 8,000 rpm on the dyno.
Timing Chains And Gears
The cams in the SOHC heads are driven by two sets of timing chains and gears. The primary timing gears and chain look like standard FE fare, but instead of spinning the cam in the block, they spin the stub cam. The secondary chain, nearly 6 feet in length, is driven by the small stub cam gear and winds around a tensioner gear and an idler gear, along with the two gears on the camshafts. Two chain guides are present to control the chain position. The entire setup is enclosed from the rear by a backing plate that bolts to the engine before any of the components are installed and from the front by a cast-aluminum cover.
Over the years, tales of problems with the 6-foot secondary chain have circulated, but the truth is that the secondary chain is very reliable and if tensioned correctly will give trouble-free service on the street or at the track. Suffice it to say, if the secondary chain breaks, there is some other problem that caused it. However, the secondary chain is known for stretching somewhat at high engine speeds, so a common practice with the SOHC engine is to advance the cams a few degrees upon installation to compensate.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:42am
John, That Galaxy must have been a beautiful car. Rare even back in the day. No doubt you wished you still had it. H/M and Interceptor marinized 427's, although I don't believe cammers. Cammers were an after market item weren't they, and not available in a car from the factory?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

John, That Galaxy must have been a beautiful car. Rare even back in the day. No doubt you wished you still had it. H/M and Interceptor marinized 427's, although I don't believe cammers. Cammers were an after market item weren't they, and not available in a car from the factory?

That is the information floating about, however I have seen a Galaxie on the Galaxie club website with one that is claimed to be original. I can't say for sure. There are a lot of possibilities how it got there. Back then companies like like Mr. Norm, Yenko, Carol Shelby, and others could buy rollers and build them. A Shelby Mustang is considered original even though Shelby installed the drivetrain, suspension and other components.
Fred. Lorenzen's 1965 Daytona winner. Back when "stock car" really meant it.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:17am
John do you think there is a subtle change to the rear quarter in the ford area on that car? maybe its nothing but it looks trimmed or rolled a bit
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:34am
BTW Eric, the 427 Galaxies were not as rare as you might think. Quite a few people ordered them for towing as well as racing, and their NASCAR success that year sold a few (like mine).
On the subject of "not available" factory options I offer the following. My fathers friend bought a new Ford Country Squire wagon in about 69. Before he took delivery he had the dealer install a Boss 429 in the car. It was the fastest Airstream puller around. I ran into him on route 12 in WI on his way to his Lake Geneva home while riding in my friends car, a 1973 Olds Cutlass custom built by the factory for his father, a GM executive, with a LT1, (a Chevy engine), a 4 speed, 411 gear and swivel bucket seats. The Country Squire ran away from the Cutlass.
My point, if there is one, is that back then many cars were delivered from the factory with "unavailable" options. It just depended who you were or knew to get one. I don't know if the few cammers in existence were obtained this way.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

John do you think there is a subtle change to the rear quarter in the ford area on that car? maybe its nothing but it looks trimmed or rolled a bit

It looks entirely stock to me, except the fuel door is missing for obvious reasons.
That Holman Moody and CP Competition Proven looks really good on the front fender.
Here is a great recent article on Fred. We Illinoisans would like to get him in the NASCAR hall of fame.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:45am
I've seen 427 Falcons and Hemi Darts on the web that claim to be original cars. I worked for a guy back in the early 70's that had a 427 Fairlane. None of those cars were in the brochures.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:49am

I've seen 427 Falcons and Hemi Darts on the web that claim to be original cars. I worked for a guy back in the early 70's that had a 427 Fairlane. None of those cars were in the brochures.

I have seen 427 R code Fairlanes so I know they exist. If it was a Thunderbolt it is a very rare and expensive car now. It was only available to chosen race teams.
I have never hard of a 427 Falcon. My friend had a 68 or 69 Dart 440 magnum that I don't believe was listed as an option. It was not a Mr Norms either.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:59am

In 1964, exactly 100 Fairlane 2 door sedans were partially built by the Ford Motor Company and shipped to Dearborn Steel Tubing for completion. These cars were finished as drag race-only machines for Super Stock, Super Stock Automatic, and A/FX class competition. Many had glamorous careers, while some had accidents with tragic results.

Today, Thunderbolts are highly valued collector and nostalgic racers. Many are still known to exist, and most that aren't around are known to have been wrecked.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:11pm
Here is the link for Holman Moody driver Fred Lorenzen.
Fred Lorenzen honored

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:29pm
If you wonder what a guy who owned a 68 or 69 440 Dart back in the day is doing now, he is finishing an Alpine Tiger (Ford 260 V8), has a beautiful drag car, and oh yea, still likes Mopar. Here is a nostalgia rail that Larry (on right) built with his partner from scratch. Yea, it's got a REAL Hemi, and it runs on nitro. I got to sit in it running, it was a thrill. The engine looks a bit like the one in the 55 Hurricane thread. And here is the only photo I can find of my 65 Galaxie. Great car for a 16 year old. The photo is from about 1971

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

im surprised you blue balls never mentioned this engine, it kicked the hemi's ass in the 60's

You mean Eric, sorta the way the new Ford 5.0 Cammer is kicking the Hemi's AND LS's asses today? But you know us Blue "Bloods" are not the gloating type. I mainly never mentioned it because it is/was so rare. And Peter, I'm not even gonna acknowledge your comment with a response, as it sounds just like something I'd say.

Thanks John, for bringing the gang up to speed. I never get tired of learning even more about it.   

From what I've heard, I'm somewhat confident we're gonna see at least one if not 2 fresh 427 Top Oilers popping up amongst our CC ranks in vintage boats this year. And from what I'm seeing and hearing, 2012 looks to potentially be a great boating year for our whole CCFan gang in general. I'm stoked.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

...the cammer featured a chain-driven roller cam in each cylinder head, actuating big valves in hemispherical combustion chambers. Horsepower was rated at 616 for the single four-barrel version and 657 for the dual quad, and Ford tested the factory engines to more than 8,000 rpm on the dyno.
Timing Chains And Gears
The cams in the SOHC heads are driven by two sets of timing chains and gears. The primary timing gears and chain look like standard FE fare, but instead of spinning the cam in the block, they spin the stub cam. The secondary chain, nearly 6 feet in length, is driven by the small stub cam gear and winds around a tensioner gear and an idler gear, along with the two gears on the camshafts. Two chain guides are present to control the chain position. The entire setup is enclosed from the rear by a backing plate that bolts to the engine before any of the components are installed and from the front by a cast-aluminum cover.

I was trying to visualize all of this. I'd love to see a picture of the workings. Pretty interesting.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 6:58pm
jbear should be along in a couple hours to give us a non-gearhead explanation
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 6:59pm
Yea, me too Reid. I can't wait to attend the east coast and GL reunions, see the beautiful hardware, and watch some real skiers and boarders tear it up.
I can't bring my boat to the east coast reunion because of some hills, the distance, my weenie tow car, and I won't have brakes on the trailer by then. The fun for me is seeing other's boats. I know what mine looks like and I won't learn anything by towing it there.

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 7:17pm
Many moons ago my cousin owned 2 of those motors. He used them in his pulling trucks. Gave BIG dollars for them way back when.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 7:22pm
BTW, did any of you Ovalheads catch the specs on the new GT500 Mustang SVT due out in May of next year? the 5.4 liter is pushed to 5.8 and it turns out 650 HP @7000 rpm. That's only 7hp short of the 1964 Cammer which was naturally aspired, as opposed to this supercharged monster. The car will be capable of 200mph+. Quite a potent small block. Now that would pull up a pyramid!
I'm not blind to other makes either, they all have nice offerings in their lineups.

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 7:55pm
427 Falcon? Think the transaxle would take it? Not so sure.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 8:05pm
I wonder why i am always bashing the fords when i look in my yard and see an excursion, my wifes escape the 37 coupe and a planned trip south in the spring to try and buy a mustang convert... i am a closet ford fan
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 8:58pm

Just a little note; since the name "427" means so much to Ford and Ford Racing they have resurrected it and now offer a 427 built off the 351W engine platform. It replaced the stroker 392 that was available for the past quite a few years. Three versions available right now are the 427/450 horsepower, the 427/535 horsepower, and the aluminum block 427/600 horsepower crate engine. I would love to see that 427/535 version in a boat, that would be sweet.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

BTW, did any of you Ovalheads catch the specs on the new GT500 Mustang SVT due out in May of next year? the 5.4 liter is pushed to 5.8 and it turns out 650 HP @7000 rpm. That's only 7hp short of the 1964 Cammer which was naturally aspired, as opposed to this supercharged monster. The car will be capable of 200mph+. Quite a potent small block. Now that would pull up a pyramid!

John,
The problem as always is getting that much HP to the water with only 1 prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

I would love to see that 427/535 version in a boat, that would be sweet.

Joe's 408w probably isnt far away from that hp number. Allegedly there is a 427w that is all built up and going into a first gen SN... someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic