Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo Input

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo Input
    Posted: January-05-2012 at 4:20pm
Hey Everyone,

I am going to pick up my (soon to be) boat on Saturday morning. This thing has 0 stereo on it and I am planning a stereo system. I am not made of money so I am looking to build a bang for the buck stereo. Any input would be appreciated. My goal is to be able to hear the stereo while I wakeboard. I know this will not happen without tower speakers and I am planning on buy them in the future.
Currently, I can afford to buy a head unit and 4 “door” speakers.
Here is what I got:
(4) Polk Audio db651
Speakers

Does anyone else have any recommendations on “door” speakers?
I have a 4 channel amp for the “door” speakers, it is not a marine amp but I feel it will be fine in the closed bow until I can afford a marine amp.
I have done a little reading on head units but I have not decided. I would appreciate any input.
For the future, I plan on 2 tower speakers with amp, and a 12” sub with amp.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dakota
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 4:27pm
I have those polks in my boat. I like them. Alot of people are going to a headless unit, and just going with an ipod hookup straight into the amp. I think this is smart, as at least I never have the radio on at the lake, and seriously who even owns CDs. I havent bought a cd in like 5 years.

So that will save you some money too and you wont have to cut up your dash to install. Thats my 2cents

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 4:47pm
Would you mind snapping a few pics of where you mounted them?

Do you have those speakers amp'd?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 4:48pm
Can't say how the DB's sound but the MM's are great speakers.
Have used non-marine amps without any issues, just be sure the boat is always able to breathe and the amp will get some open air and stay dry.
On the deck, have had good luck with the factory clarion units, if you are like me, and use your I-Pod for all your music, be sure whatever deck you get is compatible, being able to control all the IPod functions from the deck is really nice. If the head unit mounts away from the helm you are going to want a remote at the helm.

Go Loud or Go Home!!

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

Would you mind snapping a few pics of where you mounted them?

Do you have those speakers amp'd?

No they are not amped, I have a clarion head unit. I did not install the stereo the PO did. I just upgraded the speakers because his were ghetto and not marine.

Mine are mounted in the combing pad in the rear and he had the fronts mounted up under the gunnels but this was dumb because they are pointed at your ankles. I plan to reposition them with some custom fiberglass boxes and focus them more up towards the face.

The PO cut a janky hole in dash on mine to mount the head unit and I wish he wouldnt have. As all I use is my ipod I dont really need the head. So I say, save your money on buying an ipod compatible head and go straight from your ipod into the amp. You could get a little mini headphone eq if you want eq controls, this would be the only thing you are missing by not having a head. (that and radio and cd etc.)
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:39pm

I wouldnt have done that myself but the holes where there, so I just replaced. I mean the placement looks like it could have been original, but I just dont think I could bring myself to jigsaw up the boat if it was in good condition. Some custom boxes mounted to the sides would have been as effective. The other issue with this location is they whacked alot when getting gear in and out of the boat.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:42pm
What year is the boat you are getting? Some of them have a place for the head unit already.

The PO of my boat put the head unit to the left of the drivers foot well, so it was kind of semi-under the bow. Seems like a decent place for it, as it didn't require cutting. Although, if you were using the radio part, it would be hard to adjust from there.

All that is left is the metal "cage" from it and some wiring, the boat didn't come with the actual radio. Honestly, I'm planning to take everything related out, and restore it to it's original state. I'm guessing you'd need some pretty serious stereo power to hear it over the motor while underway anyway.

I agree with J's idea above on just going with the iPod hookup though. That makes a lot of sense.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by 00cls1camaross 00cls1camaross wrote:

I am going to pick up my (soon to be) boat on Saturday morning. I am not made of money. I would appreciate any input.

Thoughts?

My advice would be to hold off on the stereo. If your budget is tight (and I know mine usually is just following a major purchase) then I would wait. Your new-to-you boat is going to nickel and dime you a little bit off the bat. Basic maintenance items, accessories, safety gear, insurance, etc will all be extra expenses that youre probably not factoring in. Even if you are, there will ALWAYS be hidden expenses that you dont expect with a new toy like this.

I would suggest getting over the first round of new-owner expenses first, and then start thinking about upgrades later. If you luck out and end up spending less on the basics than you thought, then you'll just have that much more money saved, and that much more time to formulate a plan. The wait is worth it- besides, you'll be too busy enjoying your new boat to notice you dont have a fresh stereo!

Just my 2 cents!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:54pm
^^I agree with Tim. Not to mention, the factory wiring on some years of these boats can leave a lot to be desired. There can be little gremlins with gauge readouts etc. It's a good idea to get a baseline, to see how everything behaves before adding electrical accessories (like a stereo).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:54pm
first I would say check the list of parts for sale at the bottom of the page- there is a project being parted out that includes some new stereo gear that is likely discounted. After that I woudl check out prices online. Clarion amps are not exactly top of the line but they make a nice 480 series marine amp that gives you about 90 rms watts to 4 channels and used to power interior speakers rated to handle 100 rms watts you will have a pretty decent package. They are often available at a steep discount online. It will take rca inputs which you can simply run a ipod headphone jack to... about as cheap as you are going to get into a good usable stereo on the water that you can build off of when you want fancy head units - remotes- tower speakers- etc.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:55pm
to expound further on what tim said, I honestly dont use my stereo a ton. I mean it is nice but not a necessity. At first if all your friends are newbs you are gonna be doing alot of instruction yelling etc and really the radio just adds to the noise, we fire it up when we are chilling grabbin lunch or something but while we are going its usually pretty low and you cant even hear it. Now I have seen those things that turn the sound up as you accelarate. That would be cool, but I could live without my radio, at least for a while.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

first I would say check the list of parts for sale at the bottom of the page- there is a project being parted out that includes some new stereo gear that is likely discounted. After that I woudl check out prices online. Clarion amps are not exactly top of the line but they make a nice 480 series marine amp that gives you about 90 rms watts to 4 channels and used to power interior speakers rated to handle 100 rms watts you will have a pretty decent package. They are often available at a steep discount online. It will take rca inputs which you can simply run a ipod headphone jack to... about as cheap as you are going to get into a good usable stereo on the water that you can build off of when you want fancy head units - remotes- tower speakers- etc.

where is the parts for sale at the bottom of the page?? i looked at the bottom and didnt see it, probably just overlooking it though
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 8:55pm
My experiance has been that the "headphone" jack from Ipod to the head unit is piss poor sound quality. Insteed I purchsed the cord that plugs directly from the Ipod(forgot what the cord is called) directly to the head unit. A tremndous improvemnet!. I am opting now for a marine head unit with bluetooth connectivity so that I amy use my Itouch / Iphone wirelessly anywhere in the boat or around it. I'm told alot of new boat makers are going that route regardless. I would think to start with a good head unit with up to date technology and build from there.
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 11:33pm
that is some good input. I will go ahead and fix the little things here and there before I get a stereo. Thanks!
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:35pm
boombox and some fresh batteries will get you through
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:53pm
I second that motion about making sure a USB input is used, and not a headphone jack. I have an old Acura with a USB iPod input and my little stereo sounds amazing compared to my wife's brand-new Accord with a headphone jack input. Headphone jack = no good. iPod/USB input = awesome.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 1:28pm
If you have a Perfect ass then the old tacho is obsolite and just filling a hole. I am planning on putting one of these in a 2 1/2" radio / MP3 head. OK, only 40watt as fitted, but than can be amped up. They also do a waterproof 3.5mm / USB socket that you can mount anywhere.
I have seen these on US websites when I was searching and the price was resonable.

Tom
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 1:54pm
You can certainly experience sound quality issues when using the headphone input to a head unit/radio/deck. But in my experience these are related to the deck not the ipod headphone output. If you go straight to an amp or a quality EQ and not to a deck you should not have an issue using the headphone jack. I have been doing this for years into a zapco preamp and if you have decent quality mp3s there are zero issues.    

If you are going to spend the money on a deck then certainly you should spend the money to get one that can as Chris suggested controls your ipod - and that will necessitate connecting through the bottom port.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You can certainly experience sound quality issues when using the headphone input to a head unit/radio/deck. But in my experience these are related to the deck not the ipod headphone output. If you go straight to an amp or a quality EQ and not to a deck you should not have an issue using the headphone jack. I have been doing this for years into a zapco preamp and if you have decent quality mp3s there are zero issues.    

If you are going to spend the money on a deck then certainly you should spend the money to get one that can as Chris suggested controls your ipod - and that will necessitate connecting through the bottom port.

My thoughts exactly, if you have a quality amp/preamp and maybe the ability to eq you should be able to dial that baby in.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 3:53pm
You will get better sound through the digital output from the ipod using the "computer plug" ,that is if your headunit has a decent digital to analog convertor. The Sony unit in my boat hooks up that way and you can control the ipod with it and charges it and it has display of what's playing etc. The analog headphone jack output is not the very best signal, especially when you have the eq on bass boost and then you eq it again with headunit or preamp or the eq settings on the amp.
Tim D
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 5:56pm
Gonna sound like an old guy here but the stereo in the boat thing is kind of annoying to me. I'm on the boat to chat/hang with friends and enjoy our convos and stories of the old days...hard to do that when you got t-pain auto tuning in your ear. Guess I'm with Tim and a couple others on the save your money thing.

It would be enjoyable however to crank a beat while shreddin on the wakeboard.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 6:04pm
When you ready, I'll sell you these stock Nautique Polks cheap. Or you could set these up instead of the cabin "door" speakers !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 3:55pm
Camaro SS dude (sorry, don't know your name). I can't answer your question via the PM you sent. If you keep your name and email private, I can't send a reply. Try again and include your email addy, phone # or something.

Thanks
Dave (Moj)...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Ha! Did that for about a year in my old boat. Had I know all the trouble I was going to have installing the stereo/sound quality, I would just have bought another pack of C cells!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Ha! Did that for about a year in my old boat. Had I know all the trouble I was going to have installing the stereo/sound quality, I would just have bought another pack of C cells!

the velocity 2 go from blaupunkt is a good boom box, 2" speakers, built in amp, full range or sub mode, 12v or 120-220...
I use it in my vette as stereo pluging the ipod to it. Or at home to put some music when its party time!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 8:21pm
I picked up a Dual xhd7714, this has built in bluetooth, hd radio, itunes tagging, ipod controls, ipod plugin faceplate, remote control, I picked it up for just over 100.

hd radio is great, we have a bunch of channels, its cd quality sound and special programming---kind of like rediscovering radio or how FM used to be---with no commercials on some stations. Even the AM is hifi.
This ain't your dad's radio.
And you can plug in the ipod and run it ...or pop in a cd.
It's a killer little unit.

This is the life
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 8:26pm
Go headless, I find there is even less need for a headunit the more I use my boat.   Out the bottom of an iPhone or iPod is best because it allows you to charge as well. There isn't much voltage in the head phone setup and the sound suffered when I tried it that way. I have a cable that can do both, the bottom port is all we use given the choice. A cheap JL line driver gave me volume control and a much better sound. The volume raising / lowering can be done with an iPhone app these days and if you add a EQ with some sort of aux port Bluetooth is an easy add as well. Auto volume control is so nice though, I would go back to a headunit before I gave that up, it might be better than a PP at least equal. V

I will definately agree with sorting out the little things first, then plan on running as much new wire as you can. The factory stuff is stressed and old and you'll have less headaches if you just bypass most of it.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 8:36pm
Andy, how does the HD Radio compare to Satilite Radio? We keep an iPod classic with the complete music collection and have Sirus and other streams on the iPhone, I will probably add bluetooth this year because a lot of folks are now keeping more music on their phones and it keeps us from having to switch them out with every driver change.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 8:51pm
hd radio is free other than that I don't know how they compare
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 9:00pm
I run a little rubber antenna that I shoved up under the dash and it gives decent reception. I would think SAT would give better reception over greater area in general. You do need to be in an area where they are broadcasting hd radio...not all stations do...you can go on a website and check to see what stations are in your area(I have more than the list indicated for my area) hdradio.com
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic