NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on 1st Wakeboard boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on 1st Wakeboard boat
    Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:08pm
Need help finding a good used wakeboard boat with a GT-40 for about $11K

This thread left me confused - http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/98227.html?1076734216

I dont know my CC hulls for wakeboarding and cannot afford a SAN. Have read the SN's from 1990+ hulls did not favor wakeboarding like other CC models.

Could someone in california look at this DD for me? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/2767067442.html

or would a V drive be better. I am a beginner wakeboarder.

thanks ahead.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:15pm
Wow, alot of boat shopping going on this winter, thats cool.

Honestly if your a beginner, I dont think you really need a SAN. I think a mid nineties sport wouldnt be a bad choice. You can get the gt-40 and load it up with ballast.
Or you can go with a 2001, smaller but has a good wake, that would be well under your price range, and do some upgrades.

V drives are "better" but really I dont think you need one. Now that I have seen kap doing tantrums behind his SN with no ballast, Ive decided its all hype! HA!
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:22pm
Would you go with an older excel or newer sport DD with the GT-40?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:26pm
well, I cant comment on the excel, there are a few guys on here who have them they may chime in. You may get a better price on the sport as they are a little more common. I dont really think the V drive is a must, especially with the bigger boat, get more people in some ballast, it would be fine. I learned to board on my buddies 99SN CB with no ballast and we could do wake to wake 180 etc. So I really think the sport would be even that much better than his.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

Would you go with an older excel or newer sport DD with the GT-40?

If money wasn't an issue, the Sport. You're talking $5k+ difference there though.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:32pm
Should I run from this compression test on a '97 - (123,110,105,128,125,123,90,123)
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:34pm
hmm that 105,90 is concerning, usually a good rule of thumb is they should all be within 10% of each other.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

From having pulled down a few GT-40's recently I am not sure one can put a designated life span on these motors. The most recent one I pulled down had 1400 hours. However the boat was run most of it's life in a lake that leaves build up similar to what one would find in a salt water engine. also the service of this engine was to run in about 3-5 feet of water so it picked up a lot of sand and deposited it in the water jackets, combine that with what the hard water was doing to the water passages and block Cylinder temps went up particularly at the lower parts of the block and the engine scored cylinder 2 and 7.
So as with anything an owner needs to be cognoscente of how they are utilizing their engine.
The pre 300 M GT-40 had a number of failures in the field with piston slap. normally on 2 and 7 some motors would run forever with this condition and others had to be pulled down and repaired.
Clean water, correct service intervals and the engine should run a long time,,, Then again!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 8:32pm
jo-e90 this thread clears up the changes to the Sport hull.

Sport Hull Changes

Jody (F1 Inboards) was working at the factory at that time. So it is straight from the horses mouth the TSC stickers on the 98 Sport are just for marketing purposes.

I can add my 2c here, went from a 89 SN2001 which I only just sold before Christmas to a 98 Sport. The wake on the 2001's is quite a vertical wake and it is hard to get enough weight forward to get a more progressive ramp. I find the Sport wake has that nice progressive ramp which is easier for most beginners to intermediate riders. The 2001 loaded wake is more suited to advanced riders who have great timing on their pop off the wake. The 2001's are great boats as they require very little weight to get a boarding wake. We hardly ever used ballast bags as long as there was enough adults in the boat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 9:05pm
I'd call myself an advanced intermediate wakeboarder. Heel side hero, etc. I put a fat sac in my 88 one time, a fat seat about 1/3 full between the motorbox and back seat. 2 people in front and 1 on each side of the engine. First trick raley one foot out of the binding you can guess the rest. I was done for the day. No more sacs. My buddy used to load up his 88 so full he'd have passengers ON the bow.

Shorten the line up a bit, no weight and you'll be OK with a 2001 wake.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 10:10pm
I still prefer the 2001 wake to most anything else. Load it up just like HW said with enough weight that it barely planes off and it is just perfect. Boots you to the moon. It is steep and the water feels rock hard when you hit it, but if you know how to ride it you will learn to love it. Still regret selling my '83.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 10:56pm
Its crazy how you can get into some mid 90 SN's for a little more than what some are asking for their 2001's
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:34am

Its crazy how you can get into some mid 90 SN's for a little more than what some are asking for their 2001's

My personal opinion - at some point a boat is not new, it's not a classic, its just old. It looks like you might be from Southern California. Correct Crafts of 82-95 are kind of just old boats here in CA, and it doesn't matter a whole lot if it's 20 years, or 25. Here those boats go for 5-12K. Better shape, higher end of the scale.

I tell you what's crazy is all the wrong answers you were getting on wakeworld. I know there are some Nautique owners over there who know these boats much better than that.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I tell you what's crazy is all the wrong answers you were getting on wakeworld.

Wow, I just checked the link and youre right. I dont think there was one piece of correct information offered in that entire thread. They may want to stick with ballast systems, stereos and wakeboarding advice... because they sure dont know a thing about Correct Crafts! Its scary if people actually go there hoping to get (good) advice.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 12:46pm
As a 2001 owner (my first boat) and wakeboarder you can't go wrong with an older correct craft but as you have a little more budget than I had and have more choice being US based I would go with a sport 1993 or newer to get away from the wood stringers.
A sport will enable you to progress with a great shape to the wake without being intimidating and as you progress you can add some ballast but take it easy, charging at a massive wake before you have good technique and are ready is a really bad idea.

Find yourself a nice example and be prepared to travel/fly to look at them, there are lots of nice examples out there but they just take a little time and effort to find them, getting a good dialogue with the seller is also a must as you will soon find out more about how the boat has been treated and used.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 8:23pm
Do sports have a better wake than Ski Nautiques in the 1990-1996?
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 9:30pm
Yes. The sport is what helped elevate the wakeboard revolution. That was the original quintessential wakeboard boat and ultimately what the first Air Nautique was based off of. For the most part, all CC did was add a tower and some ballast and graphics.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:31pm
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29568
Would this boat have a reliable motor as the GT-40?

Which one of these boats have the most reliable motor?
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59748
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 10:48pm
The most reliable motor is the one that has been maintained the best!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 4:27am
Looking at a boat, has over 500 hours on it and the owner says he removed the heat exchanger before it was used in brackish water. 1st owner let it sit for 3 years before he bought it about 7 years ago. Runs good. The A/T is leaking between the Tranny and bell housing. Any advice would be appreciated as to purchasing the boat or asking owner specific questions.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 1:07pm

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29568
Would this boat have a reliable motor as the GT-40?

Mercruiser Mags are Chevy based, and a Mercruiser. So, I would have to think parts are readily available. Also, from images I've seen of them, they look pretty straightforward. A friend of mine has a Merc Black Scorpion (an uplevel Mercruiser engine with higher output) in his Malibu and it's been very reliable for him.

Which one of these boats have the most reliable motor?
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59748

That's a tougher call, you'd have to go from boat to boat. I agree with Snobsessed. I was surprised to see Malibu Sunsetters so affordable on the spectrum, but that seems like a good option.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 7:42pm
What would be your next brand of choice other than a cc, with a reliable motor of course?
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 8:07am
Don't get too hung up on the reliability of a particular motor, these have all proven the test of time IF they have been looked after, my view of the motor is that its something that can be worked on and even replaced if you need to. The most important thing IMO is the hull of the boat, you need to choose a hull that fits with your chosen activities.
Your original post states you are looking for a wakeboard boat, this limits your options to the 2001, sport, super sport and the MC 205 (96 onwards I think) / early DD X-Star. There were a few changes around the 205 hull around 96 which turned it into the X-star DD which is what you would be looking for. Personally I would stick with Correct Craft and stick around here where you can get all the help you could possibly ever need and know that there is nothing that the guys on this site cannot help you resolve.

I went through the process of buying a boat last year and its just a nightmare trying to find something that fits your requirements and is in great condition. My UK budget only really left me with the 2001 as an option for wakeboarding but I was tempted by other brands and different hulls but none of them would have suited my needs and I would have ended up selling it to fund another one within a year or 2 max.
Don't forget its the hull you want so possibly think about reducing the budget for something that needs a bit of work and spend the extra on getting it back to looking and running great. You have seen some of the work on this site that has been done to various boats and there are some amazing transformations.

Hang in there as a Correct Craft with your name on it is just around the corner
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 11:53am
Jo where are you at? what part of the country are you in?
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Jo where are you at? what part of the country are you in?

MN
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 1:34am
Jo, there just are not as many correct crafts here (MN) as other parts of the country, but they do come up. Have you had a chance to go out in any of the boats you are looking at? A little time in and behind a boat is very valuable. If you could get to a reunion you likely could try them all.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 4:10am
No CC's , just a Centurion servo 230 and MC X1.
How is it possible to test all boats at a reunion?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 6:01am

How is it possible to test all boats at a reunion?

"Mind if I take her for a spin?"
...those who have fallen and those who will.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 10:50am
Jo, Check out the reunion section, there are several around the country. depending on your time frame and resources, green lake is the closest. that will be a mini reunion this year, but there were about 40 boats there last year. If you could get down to Florida for SJRR It will be well attended. You can easily get a full weekend on the water without bringing a boat. CCFans are just the best people in the world. I have seen guys that I know have a thousand hours into restoring their boat toss their keys to another member. Two years ago my son received barefoot instruction from members we meet at a camp fire the night before. I was able to partially return the favor last year when the same group had boat problems, and needed a way back to the camp ground with the wives and kids. I sent them off in my boat, my only concern was that the boat would not let them down. The stories I read here of members hospitality continually inspires me to be a better person.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 11:32am
+1 dave,

its a family, just ask and you will get the hookup. I honestly think you should consider a 2001 hull like mine and daves. You could get one for well under your budgeted price they are readily available in good condition for reasonable prices. That would leave you money left over for a tower and some sacs and any maintenance issues.

If you wouldnt mind the travel there is one here by me in ohio that is seriously really nice and the guy is asking 6,000. Its in better shape than mine and has low hours. But I am sure there are comparable ones closer.

Or pony up and look for an older sport nautique. They are definitely out there. Ill keep my eyes peeled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic