Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ski Tique themes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ski Tique themes
    Posted: February-02-2012 at 4:45pm
I am planning to overhaul my interior within the upcoming weeks on my 76 Ski Tique. I really like keeping things factory or making it look like it could have been factory. I was thinking about doing a bi-centennial look on my boat. Did Correct Craft do anything like this in 1976? If not, do you think it will be neat to set it up that way? Or should I just stick to factory specs?

I am planning to rebuild the whole boat eventually, but my seats are rotted through so I am going to start there. If I do a bicentennial theme, I was going to do the interior as red, white, and blue and I was thinking about stitching into the seat '76 and so on. I really don't want to make it look like a 76 Master Craft (stupid boat)

If I did this theme, I would later on down the road make the Ski Tique signature on the side also somehow an American flag theme.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? Or any ideas would be great, I was also thinking about doing something special on the motor cover.
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 5:12pm
well, I would say most here will tell you original. There is danger of making it look kind of like a stars and stripes. Yikes!!! That will devalue your boat for sure. Just Kidding, but seriously that would be bad.

I have no real ideas, maybe just install a flag pole.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 5:45pm
Lol I have the flag pole, I was afraid of making the boat look too tacky. I don't mean that in a bad way. I love the red white and blue but sometimes it can be overdone. I just like how the car companies came out with special edition bicentennial cars that were not overdone. I might scratch the idea and just go original.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 5:57pm
I mean, I think it would look ok if you did like mostly red and white with some blue piping or trim. But I think the key is to pick two main colors then use the other subtley. If its even red whilte and blue and alot of color is flying around then it gets tacky. Not sure how you could add a flag to the lettering on the side without getting tacky. You could add a small emplem or tag like in your picture.
kelly mac 67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly mac 67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 6:35pm
Make it look like a Master Craft at least then they would be able to claim they built a Quality boat
Kelly Mac
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2012 at 6:39pm
Ouch... I just really don't know if I could take everyone laughing at me from a far or Sea Tow following me around to make sure the boat is not going to fall apart because they think it is a Master Craft.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 1:17am
Hey Jonathan, good to see you back on here. I just wanted to put in my vote for "keep it original"!! My vote for the sweetest Tique interior has to be Tim Benjamin's old '78. The original blue seats looked really 70's, I think his white pleated seats were really classy and still looked "original" enough to be true to the period. I was planning on going that way if I had kept your boat. Although I do think the Spirit of '76 idea has a little appeal - I was born in '76 and it was a little detail that attracted me to that boat Anyway I think the blue/white/black outline logos look fantastic on those boats.

How did the boat treat you last summer? We had a great summer here, but plenty of little issues with my new boat that had me missing the Tique occasionally! Hope she's still treating you as well as she did me!

-Tom
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 4:15am
I love the Tique, I have not had any problems besides the seat rotting out, when it broke it ripped the vinyl, but hey that is something fun to fix. I'm sorry you had some problems, I hope they are all resolved for this year. I cannot wait for summer. As soon as that lake thaws, I'm planning to be out there for the first run. the only other thing I was thinking about doing was repacking the rudder, I was actually going to ask you when you did it last. I have never packed it before and I was debating doing it myself or bringing it somewhere.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 11:10am
It seems you double posted... so here are mine and Pete's comments:
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 87jct90 87jct90 wrote:

I really like keeping things factory or making it look like it could have been factory.

I've deviated from original a few times- though in general, I definitely prefer they look just like they did when they came out of the factory. I cant say that Ive ever regretted a "keep it original" decision. I cant quite say the same for my other choices of modifications- and I happen to think I have pretty good taste, in general. Over time, my enthusiasm fades for the personal touches I previously added... with the 2 exceptions being engine modifications and structural improvements, of course.

CC never did any bicentenial boats, as far as I know. I can only think of a few boats that look good in red, white and blue- the '73 Ski Nautique is one of them. That wouldnt look quite right on a Ski Tique though, IMHO. Definitely dont embroider anything on the interior.

Most people use artistic freedom on their own boats. Its actually rarer to have a really nice, all-original boat. I know that those are the ones I always appreciate more when I see them! Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I agree with Tim on this one. Yes, there are some times that one must go non original but in this case, I feel you may be going "too far".

Tom, thanks for compliment on my (former) '78. I know my Uncle Todd is enjoying it now! Although I still think they look great, the interior and carpet choices I made on that boat were some of the ones I probably would not repeat. We're trying to keep the Barefoot Nautique much more original- at least appearance wise. We installed blue grass carpet and when the time comes, will be replacing the interior with original pleated blue skins. The original vinyl (Flotilla Blue Horizon) is no longer available, but I've identified a suitable replacement that still has some of that "marbling"... Dolphin Naugahyde DOL-71 is a good match for the medium blue CC's from mid 70's through early 80's. I would highly recommend it! [We're using the burgundy version on our '80 Ski Nautique as well.]

FYI, replacing packing is about the simplest job to perform on a direct drive. Its a <$10, 15 minute job.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 11:21am
Tim as you know I have been looking at alot of vinyl lately. I have been told that alot of colors and styles have been discontiuned due to the economy. If you can still get what you want I would advise to buy now just in case. I have found some thing close to my original,the piece for my seat is a different dye lot than the ones for my side panels and is even a little closer.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 11:32am
Yeah, I know Gary- the Spradling Flotilla that CC used was one of the ones that was discontinued just a few years ago. Luckily the Dolphin seems to be readily available!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 12:13pm

Ouch... I just really don't know if I could take everyone laughing at me from a far or Sea Tow following me around to make sure the boat is not going to fall apart because they think it is a Master Craft.

Looks like you already answered your question. Whatever the striping (graphic) color is, go solid inside to match. Can't go wrong, never go out of style, never get laughed at..... Solid color, same color piping.. Have them just stitch in the pleats with the padding and it will come out perfect !!!

Tim, Glad you found something close to the old marbled vinyl for the BF. With the grass carpet, it will come out exactly the way it should.. Those old vinyls were way cool. even the brown and grey shades were cool. To bad they just don't really exist. So many boat makers used it back in the day..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Whatever the striping (graphic) color is, go solid inside to match. Can't go wrong, never go out of style, never get laughed at..... Solid color, same color piping.. Have them just stitch in the pleats with the padding and it will come out perfect !!!
Moj'

77 with all stitched pleats:

the X with all stitched pleats:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 1:01pm
We will be doing the same as Pete's Tique on the BFN (pleats stiched in instead of pressed). We will most likely keep all piping the same color. I would draw inspiration on interior schemes from the original 70's brochures. I think the dark vinyl and carpet offsets the primarily white gel nicely. Especially if you have a gelcoat motorbox!

BTW, CC did use contrasting piping at times!

'77 brochure:

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:26pm
I thought I remember seeing a Ski Tique with red letters and red top stripe with a blue lower stripe on a 76 (although it might have been a Ski Nautique or a different year). I seem to recall all red interior. Can't find any pictures now.    I'll continue to look.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I thought I remember seeing a Ski Tique with red letters and red top stripe with a blue lower stripe on a 76 (although it might have been a Ski Nautique or a different year). I seem to recall all red interior. Can't find any pictures now.    I'll continue to look.

Youre probably thinking of the '73-74 Ski Nautiques that I alluded to above.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:35pm
That's the one Tim, as always you are spot on. And now, looking at the two together, I like the blue letters and red stripe best.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 2:38pm
agreed!! I love that offset stripe! That looks awesome.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:08pm
I am going to stick to the original scheme. I was going to attempt to do it on my own, but the sewing machine my mom has is not strong enough so I have been calling up local interior shops. My 76 Tique has a blue interior, does anyone know the name of the color or who makes the closest color to it?
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:13pm
Also, I do not have any of the original interior on my boat except the seat frames, the back rest to the driver seat, and the motor cover. I need to show the person redoing the interior some detail pictures of the patterns so he can reproduce them for me. I also do not have a back bench for my boat. I heard that my year had three cushions that you sat on. How were these constructed? Did they make a bench for my year? I think I would rather have the bench. Pictures to show the guy would be great if someone can do that for me
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 6:47pm
I would highly recommend getting in touch with Christines (Nautique Skins) as they have all the old factory vinyl patterns. I have found their prices to be VERY reasonable, as compared to local shops. They can give you the proper shaped foam as well, if needed. Normally I would say that you can take a chance with a local shop if you know theyre really good... but without a good factory pattern to work from, youre really taking a big chance it'll look right.

The proper medium blue color that matches our Barefoot Nautique is Dolphin Naugahyde Blue (DOL-71), as I indicated above. Christines can get this for you, as they are getting the Burgundy Naugahyde for the '80 Ski Nautique interior that I am getting set to order.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:06pm
Here's a pic of our BFN- I believe your Tique is the same shade of blue. The Dolphin Naugahyde vinyl is slightly darker than the vinyl shown- it actually matches the (original) graphics a little better than what is in there now (which are not the original skins, but I believe them to be the same original style vinyl- Flotilla Blue Horizon). You can still get blue grass carpet, too! We got ours from Marine Carpeting.

New carpet in this past year:

87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:20pm
Yeah that is the same color as my back rest. Did the Tique come with a bench in the front? My passenger seat is a little wider than my driver seat, but I don't know if that was original.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:27pm
I found the following pictures, but the motor cover on this Tique is a different pattern than mine and so is the bench back rest.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:29pm
Here is another Ski Tique, this one has the pillows
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:43pm
Your Tique has a gelcoat motorbox, right? That is very cool, and also saves you ~$500 between the skin and installation. Bonus.

Yes, the 3 cushions for the rear seat base are probably original. The observer seat would have originally been the same exact seat as the driver's bucket, just turned around (its reversible). It seems fairly common for people to widen the seat in order to accommodate more people... I found this semi-effective, as mine could fit about 1.5 asses in the seat after the change. If I had made it any wider, you couldnt have gotten into the driver's seat as easy.

Again, the reference section is going to be your best friend with this... it can otherwise be very difficult to distinguish between original and not.

87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 7:58pm
Sounds good, I think I am going to make the driver seat and the passenger seat the same. Even though my motor box is gel coated, I think I am going to see if I can fix what is left on there.

I just need to decide what to do with the back seat. I would prefer to have the bench as the backseat. If I go with the bench seat in the back, how is it attached to the floor? Or does it just sit there? Also, does anyone have the measurements for the bench in the back?

Thanks for the help and the advice!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 8:07pm
Again, I would encourage you to use Christines for the skins, as you'll be guaranteed to get them looking just like the factory ones.

Even though my motor box is gel coated, I think I am going to see if I can fix what is left on there.

I just checked your diary and see that you have some vinyl on the motorbox now. I would encourage you to either pull it off and buff out the box if its gelcoated, or to replace the vinyl when youre doing the rest. That way youre guaranteed to get all pieces to match. It would be a shame to do it piecemeal and find out later that the vinyl you were using was discontinued before you had purchased all your skins!

I just need to decide what to do with the back seat. I would prefer to have the bench as the backseat. If I go with the bench seat in the back, how is it attached to the floor? Or does it just sit there? Also, does anyone have the measurements for the bench in the back?

Do you mean that you would prefer to have a single bottom cushion as opposed to 3 separate ones? I will say that the 3 cushions I have in my Skier are pretty handy- you can use one, two, or all three. They store easily too. If shaped appropriately, they look much better than the picture above, which make them all look sort of jelly beany, with big gaps between the 3 cushions and between the seat back.

Either way, the bottom cushion(s) just sit on the floor. I try to remember to put them in the truck when towing- though I havent lost one yet.

You dont need anyone to measure theirs for you- just measure your boat and see what fits. Christines will likely have the patterns anyways... they will ask you for a few basic dimensions, to confirm that what they make will fit.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2012 at 10:54pm
I see your point about the motor box. Thanks for the advice!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 9:22am
My single piece aft bottom cushion has snaps to the floor that hold it in place.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic